Shooter reported at Santa Fe, Texas school

South Austin

44 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Perhaps I didn't word it correctly. But it is well documented in sociological fields that the degree to which a minority child subscribes to notions of the American Dream can severely affect their adolescence and young adulthood when they see that it may not necessarily apply to them or work like they were taught.  They say fuck it and stop trying to achieve and start engaging in anti-social behavior.  But I am quite positive that it doesn't just apply to minority kids.  A white kid who feels entitled to it will probably react even more adversely.

I'm not saying anything is the sole producing cause of this.  But if we're talking about mental health, and "quasi" mental health disorders, these belong in the conversation.

37 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

College education, high school sweetheart, white picket fence, 2-car garage, 2.5 kids all that idealized stuff.  Regardless of their actual circumstances, there is the perception of what life should be like and then the reality.  And we aren't trying to explain the certifiably crazy, which all of those you mention after Cruz were.

The difference is that minority kids don't feel entitled to the American Dream. They don't think it's a right owed to them unlike some white males. Men are taught to hold in emotions, be strong, be smart and if you don't have a girlfriend or you aren't the popular jock, you're a loser. So they hold in some pent up aggression and anger without a way of letting it out.

39 minutes ago, Modessit said:

No, the only feasible solution would be to ban the manufacture and sale of ammunition for those weapons with extremely harsh penalties for violating without government approval. I'm talking life in prison, complete asset forfeiture, or even death depending in the crime. Someone selling a box of ammo to a neighbor wouldn't be punished as severely as someone stealing it or even smuggling it into the country.

This would allow the 2nd Amendment right to own guns to remain, and the Amendment doesn't specify the weapons must remain functional and loaded. It would take a while - maybe 50+ years - but eventually gun use would drop to virtually nothing. Those who currently have ammunition would be reticent to use it knowing they can't get more. They wouldn't be able to sell it to anyone, or make their own. Perhaps allow them to turn it in for tax credits if they wish.

It wouldn't stop all gun violence, but each instance would move us closer to the time when ammunition is no longer available. We wouldn't have to worry about tracking down every weapon or magazine. The law-abiding citizens will work harder to make sure their supply isn't wasted, and the criminals would find their supply running dry very quickly.

Btw - that idiot that showed up with a gun should get the shit kicked out of him. I'd feel the same if he'd shown up with a "Ban the NRA" sign.

Luckily ARs were only made in 5.56/.223 calibers...

I agree someone should twist that guy up. 

That may just have to be one of the risks of gun ownership. If you can’t responsibly keep then out of other’s hands, maybe you shouldn’t own them.
I could, but I don't own any and have no plans to. Haven't fired a gun since I got out of the military.

I also have two little kids and worry about them visiting homes of people we don't know well because not everyone is careful. My kids are really too little (4 and 2) to differentiate between a toy and a real gun, and they wouldn't really understand the dangers. My 4-yr-old knows what "dying" is but doesn't understand really that you don't come back from it.

2 minutes ago, Mack Tripper said:

Saw an interview of a student who said he wasn't friends with the shooter but somewhat knew him and that the shooter wasn't just bullied by other students, but also by some of the teachers and coaches. Sad fucking situation all around. 

I read that about the coaches. So sad all this

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mack Tripper said:

Saw an interview of a student who said he wasn't friends with the shooter but somewhat knew him and that the shooter wasn't just bullied by other students, but also by some of the teachers and coaches. Sad fucking situation all around. 

I’d be careful about student survivor interviews, especially when they didn’t personally know the shooter. Lots of misinformation was spread after Columbine this way.

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

Good post, and good on you for calling out Johnny Sack as being part of the discussion.

The funny thing is, many of the "leftist commie gun grabbers" on this site are ALSO gun owners, believers in the 2nd amendment, etc.  And I'm not talking "I have an old shotgun from my grandfather."  Folks who have a full suite of firearms options.

Gun owners have to be part of the solution.  If this continues to be an "all or nothing" proposition by gun owners -- refusing to allow for any meaningful gun control -- then our "all" will turn into "nothing" once we don't have the votes or the public sympathy.  The pro-gun side is being penny wise and billion-pound foolish.  "Win" today, sure.  No new gun laws.  But lose it ALL tomorrow (or 10-20 years of tomorrows from now).  The alternate paths are before us.  We should take the wise one.

There was a shitload of posters that didn’t know a gun from a baseball bat in the Parkland thread on the scat site. Plenty telling me I had no right to a firearm because “think of the kids”  

There are plenty of gun owners calling for more restrictions - to gain access to firearms. Regular psych evals, training, tests, background checks, whatever. The issue comes when someone thinks it’s a good idea to say - you get one shotgun, one rifle, and a revolver to protect your home. That’s all you need. Anything else and you are a gun nut. Well, that just doesn’t work, and as a lifelong hunter, regularly shooter of clay tournaments, and plinker, it is a slap in the face.  

Also, I think the parents being held liable would slow this down in itself  I didn’t grow up with a gun safe, but that wasn’t the right way, just how it was  Every single firearm I own is locked and away from my kids, I don’t know how that’s still an issue. 

I figured you would work your way back towards the center on this thread, and leave most of the doom and gloom shit in the CR. You are an avid wing shooter iirc?  I mean, this actually affects your way of life and some of the things you are passing down to your children. 

1 hour ago, Longhorn94 said:

i dont understand why the slippery slope argument is always thrown out. i dont see a big call for banning pistols or 10 round magazines. i think we can balance freedom with safety. we do it every single day in every other regulated industry. guns are no different. we as a society should be able to come up with a consensus balancing our rights, freedoms and safety without going overboard in either direction. but this shit has got to stop. 

background checks including mental health exam, including listing anyone who might have access to your weapons

gun safe requirement / responsibility civil and criminal if someone gets your gun and kills someone

yearly training and licensing requirements including home and safe inspection

no guns owned by anyone under 21 or access/use without a licensed gun owner supervising

anyone selling or allowing someone under 21 to have a gun - automatic prison and liability

no assault rifles / buyback program / unless you are licensed for it

no high capacity magazines / unless you are licensed for it

anyone who sells, allows or converts a gun to auto goes to prison with auto sentencing

this shit is easy. no one wants to take your guns away. no one is taking my guns away. my dad is a retired deputy sheriff. i doubt there are many on here who own more guns or have the safety training as my dad was the SO's range master. so i am not interested in taking away guns but i damn sure want to make sure you are responsible with your gun ownership and my kids' lives depends on it. and that is reality not some fake dreamt up revolution that the cabela crew is constantly "preparing" for. 

as far as background checks...maybe give the buyer one may 18, 2018 then again may 19, 2019 before giving him a license to own a gun.

4 minutes ago, Dark Horse said:

Maybe the answer is to stop being such assholes to each other. I mean, not Surly, but like other people.

There is a lot to this, someone mentioned earlier how being on the internet has changed how view and communicate with each other, its easier to be rude. Just look at this site

The bullying, also mentioned is on a whole other level compared to when we were kids, add to that IMO and for a reason I do not know,  children today seem emotionally weaker then we were.

These shooting were virtually unheard of 30+ years ago, guns were readily available, everyone (their families) I knew growing up had guns in their house, what changed?

38 minutes ago, sachick said:

The difference is that minority kids don't feel entitled to the American Dream. They don't think it's a right owed to them unlike some white males. Men are taught to hold in emotions, be strong, be smart and if you don't have a girlfriend or you aren't the popular jock, you're a loser. So they hold in some pent up aggression and anger without a way of letting it out.

You’re gonna need a little more than conjecture even on Surly. And not something off Huffpost or Vanity Fair.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

There was a shitload of posters that didn’t know a gun from a baseball bat in the Parkland thread on the scat site. Plenty telling me I had no right to a firearm because “think of the kids”

Yeah, sure there were.  "Plenty".  Right.

4 hours ago, Murfdogg21 said:

If some smart politicians can create a way to do stronger background checks and prevent nutjobs and minors from getting certain weapons while convincing us that there is not and will not be a gun owner registry, I would be all ears. 

At least that's a start.

I kinda wonder, if another vietnam war kinda thing with a draft would straighten the kids out on guns & killing?   but then again, not much hand to hand fighting these days, it's all kinda "video game" too--done from afar and impersonal

or maybe if all kids had to spend time in military like Israel???  what do y'all think? just throwing it out there as I haven't really heard any solutions that might possibly work

49 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Yeah, sure there were.  "Plenty".  Right.

There were. One in particular told me my hobbies weren’t important enough to be considered, or continued, in the grand scheme of things. His hobbies though, don’t fuck with those.  

It was in regards to clay shoots. 

1 hour ago, JimmyJames said:

Texas leadership of today ladies and gentleman! Let’s get rid of the doors. That’l fix er. 

If we eliminate schools, there can't ever be another school shooting. 

[black guy pointing at his brain.jpg]

2 hours ago, shnsajax said:

Incase you forgot how fucking stupid Dan Patrick is. 

2 hours ago, JimmyJames said:

Texas leadership of today ladies and gentleman! Let’s get rid of the doors. That’l fix er. 

No doors, no way for the shooter to get in!

giphy.gif

Edited by MadBurgerMaker

2 hours ago, Don Keibals said:

I kinda wonder, if another vietnam war kinda thing with a draft would straighten the kids out on guns & killing?   but then again, not much hand to hand fighting these days, it's all kinda "video game" too--done from afar and impersonal

or maybe if all kids had to spend time in military like Israel???  what do y'all think? just throwing it out there as I haven't really heard any solutions that might possibly work

Draft is 18 and up. How is that gonna "teach" 14 to 17 year old kids anything?

2 hours ago, Don Keibals said:

WTF?

We've had guys in Afghanistan and Iraq since 2001.

Like the YouTube campus? That one was really safe.

Some dude was on Fox News this afternoon talking about hardening schools like we’ve done with airport security. Ft Lauderdale was last year.

No one interjected.

After the Parkland one, someone on the radio said the only real way to stop school shootings is to stop going to school. Do it all online via teleconferencing.

I'm sure eventually this will happen, even if school violence isn't the reason. It'll just be a byproduct of our immersion into technology.

There are plenty of gun owners calling for more restrictions - to gain access to firearms. Regular psych evals, training, tests, background checks, whatever. The issue comes when someone thinks it’s a good idea to say - you get one shotgun, one rifle, and a revolver to protect your home. That’s all you need. Anything else and you are a gun nut. Well, that just doesn’t work, and as a lifelong hunter, regularly shooter of clay tournaments, and plinker, it is a slap in the face.  
Also, I think the parents being held liable would slow this down in itself  I didn’t grow up with a gun safe, but that wasn’t the right way, just how it was  Every single firearm I own is locked and away from my kids, I don’t know how that’s still an issue. 
I figured you would work your way back towards the center on this thread, and leave most of the doom and gloom shit in the CR. You are an avid wing shooter iirc?  I mean, this actually affects your way of life and some of the things you are passing down to your children. 

That’s a big part of the reason I have maintained that gun owners MUST be part of the solution. If we don’t work together with the rest of society, we’ll eventually be completely marginalized and have no further voice.

Sure, there are some over-the-top solutions offered by people who don’t know any better. So, instead of telling them “fuck off, you ain’t touching my guns!”, I try to actually explain to them that there are good reasons why solutions like that aren’t practical or helpful, BUT, here’s an alternative that can help us achieve similar results.

For example, I have never favored an “assault weapons ban” because it’s meaningless: a semi auto is a semi auto. It’s rate of fire X available ammo that is problematic, so I support magazine size limits instead.

I am literally at a ranch right now, the boy and I are doing a work weekend to help get ready for hunting season. We’ll probably unwind tomorrow shooting skeet, then maybe varmint hunting after dark. Guns are an everyday part of our family...but where things stand right now is unacceptable. I believe that if we are intelligent and not just tribal, we can implement some actual improvements.

But I also know that won’t happen, because “gun nuts!” And “libtards!” And nobody will compromise. Not a single inch. The solutions are out there, in the middle, just waiting for sanity to allow us to pick them up. They’re going to wait forever.
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Modessit said:

After the Parkland one, someone on the radio said the only real way to stop school shootings is to stop going to school. Do it all online via teleconferencing.

I'm sure eventually this will happen, even if school violence isn't the reason. It'll just be a byproduct of our immersion into technology.

Nah. We need more and smaller schools. Way too easy for kids to get lost in the shuffle. 1500 kids at Santa Fe. 3200 in Parkland.  4 30 kid classes per grade. Keep the classes together with the same kids through all core curriculum. Everyone should know everyone at their high school. Suburban schools are far too big and operate way too much like colleges.

• Like 1