Dumb Question Amnesty Thread

PilotsError

Does anyone know what the hell this metal structure is in this Google Map? I drive by it on the way to the Hill Country and I don't get what it is. I'm thinking something to do with energy infrastructure but there's nothing around it so maybe it's just an example? It's next to Sabre Industries which does that sort of work.

Screenshot2023-07-05at2_56_51PM.thumb.png.bb886f670406616fd7335ccb1fa2040d.png

• Hook 'Em 1

28 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Does anyone know what the hell this metal structure is in this Google Map? I drive by it on the way to the Hill Country and I don't get what it is. I'm thinking something to do with energy infrastructure but there's nothing around it so maybe it's just an example? It's next to Sabre Industries which does that sort of work.

Screenshot2023-07-05at2_56_51PM.thumb.png.bb886f670406616fd7335ccb1fa2040d.png

https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20131114006199/en/Sabre-Industries-Celebrates-Grand-Opening-for-SabreBrametal-Testing-Services-LLC-in-Alvarado-TX

Edited by nnm
  • Hook 'Em 1

Any of you sailor types know the real difference between a boat and a ship? Online definitions are all over the place. Big equals ship and small equals boat but what’s the cutoff? Coastal/inland is a boat and ocean going is a ship, yet an ocean going yacht is a boat. Submarines are somehow boats even though they’re in the ocean. Fishing boats are still boats even if they’re huge. Confusing, at least to me.

3 hours ago, GoPokes83 said:

Any of you sailor types know the real difference between a boat and a ship? Online definitions are all over the place. Big equals ship and small equals boat but what’s the cutoff? Coastal/inland is a boat and ocean going is a ship, yet an ocean going yacht is a boat. Submarines are somehow boats even though they’re in the ocean. Fishing boats are still boats even if they’re huge. Confusing, at least to me.

The explanation we use in my organization is that a vessel with more than one deck is a ship. 
The old definition of a boat being something that can be carried by a ship works too. 

• Like 1

On 7/5/2023 at 3:27 PM, nnm said:

That is the most boring video I've ever watched.  It also reminded me of the hardest class I've ever taken.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by Elvis
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Drool 1

1 hour ago, GoPokes83 said:

Watching Cops. They tackle guys for running and arrest them but never say what crime they’ve committed other than apparently inconveniencing the cops. Just curious if it’s against the law.

We’re they persons of color?

On 7/8/2023 at 9:00 AM, nnm said:

The explanation we use in my organization is that a vessel with more than one deck is a ship. 
The old definition of a boat being something that can be carried by a ship works too. 

And as we can see here, the destroyer DD Cole, is a boat, not a ship.

dd_cole_boat_ezgif-5-cfe48d48d6.jpg

• Like 1
  • Drool 1

First off, the Cole is a DDG. 

Second off, leave her out of it. I get you think you’re being clever with the damage pic of her riding back to NOB, but that really is just absolutely pathetic to use a great injustice like that for some smart-ass attempt to try and be funny. People died on the Cole. People still have to live with things they had no choice or control over, but had no choice.

She was our late deployer, and our sister ship. We all had friends who served on her, and even took some of her crew in once they were back and settled.

You should be ashamed. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 7/16/2023 at 11:07 AM, GoPokes83 said:

Is it against the law for an innocent person to start running when a police car turns the corner towards you? I understand it’s probably not the smartest thing to do but is running a crime, or probable cause to have the police chase you?

We did this as dumb ass kids (around 12).

We were playing the "invisible rope" game in my yard/street.  Cop turns the corner and we all scatter.  We lived on the next corner, as soon as he turned that corner, I tried to backtrack...he pulled diagonally up into the yard, got out and drew his gun on me.

My dad, who was in the garage, comes out to see the commotion and his 12 year old son with his hands on an oak tree and a cop pointing his gun at him.  Sure that was neat for him.

But to answer your question...no it's not illegal....but yeah, a good way to get shot or at the least a good beatdown.

Man, I hadn't thought about that story in 30 years.  I didn't think much of it at the time or since, but realize how lucky I was.

Edited by Tylerocks
  • Like 2

46 minutes ago, Tylerocks said:

We did this as dumb ass kids (around 12).

We were playing the "invisible rope" game in my yard/street.  Cop turns the corner and we all scatter.  We lived on the next corner, as soon as he turned that corner, I tried to backtrack...he pulled diagonally up into the yard, got out and drew his gun on me.

My dad, who was in the garage, comes out to see the commotion and his 12 year old son with his hands on an oak tree and a cop pointing his gun at him.  Sure that was neat for him.

But to answer your question...no it's not illegal....but yeah, a good way to get shot or at the least a good beatdown.

Man, I hadn't thought about that story in 30 years.  I didn't think much of it at the time or since, but realize how lucky I was.

Cop sounds like an incredible POS, drawing his gun on a kid who ran away from a prank in which no one was hurt or threatened. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

How are all these animal facts/observations validated? This goes for all animals but I'll do an example for dogs:

I have read that when dogs sniff each other upon meeting, their smells can let them know all about the dog like if they have ever met, who they have sex with, the breed of that dog they had sex with and all types of other stuff about the dog and its past. How can anyone really know this for sure and can prove this? 

1 hour ago, Vic Mackey said:

How are all these animal facts/observations validated? This goes for all animals but I'll do an example for dogs:

I have read that when dogs sniff each other upon meeting, their smells can let them know all about the dog like if they have ever met, who they have sex with, the breed of that dog they had sex with and all types of other stuff about the dog and its past. How can anyone really know this for sure and can prove this? 

Well, there are these people called scientists...