Mayor of Kingstown: Written and Directed by Taylor Sheridan on Paramount +

GreenspointTexas

3 hours ago, HornOnTheBayou said:

I'm split on this show. It's a really interesting concept, but it's just another Taylor Sheridan soap opera for guys. I only have room in my life for one of those at a time and right now Yellowstone is it.

However, I might keep watching just for the black receptionist.

Fun fact… shes the black wife in the Dr Pepper Fansville commercials. And shes hot as fuck

• Hook 'Em 3

Yea Ep 3 was really good...But I had to pay close attention to all of the dialogue and angles/motives for finding "that guy".   It got confusing what each person wanted to happen....still trying to figure out why Mike is asked by cops to be involved in everything. lol     It's kind of like the huge role of the Livestock Agents in Yellowstone.  Love it though, gimme more.

30 minutes ago, Harrison Bergeron said:

I think for me I can't really get excited about the premise: these guys just magically do things for inmates and prison guards and keep the entire system stable and peaceful? Maybe if the show develops some sort of interesting back story, but having a hard time caring about anyone.

Yep, I'm there too. If Kingstown is such a miserable shithole, why don't they just leave? 

• 3 weeks later...

So if 3 FBI agents were murdered in 1 town, the federal response would be similar to the OKC bombing, right? Hell Biden would probably get questions about it. 

They’d put Milo in Florence Supermax immediately and his crew would arrested. 

I like Sheridan, but his stuff requires plenty of suspending disbelief. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Yea I was on the fence early on also…mostly bc I wasn’t sure what world exists where the brothers business does what it does and all law enforcement, feds, guards, gangs are cool with it happening and doing whatever he does.  He plays all sides.  But ep 8&9 were bad ass.

Think “those two” make it out alive? Im betting one doesn’t bc of all the foreshadowing. 

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, Firemans4Horn said:

Why are so many inmates getting the lethal injection in this prison?

Good question, but an even bigger one for me is ...

Spoiler

... why the hell do you need to make a deal of any kind with the inmates to murder the child-killing meth cook?  They'll know what he did.  Just put him in gen pop and go watch TV or something.

Edited by TriStone
Spoilerfied
  • Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, utxmike05 said:

Yea I was on the fence early on also…mostly bc I wasn’t sure what world exists where the brothers business does what it does and all law enforcement, feds, guards, gangs are cool with it happening and doing whatever he does.  He plays all sides.  But ep 8&9 were bad ass.

Think “those two” make it out alive? Im betting one doesn’t bc of all the foreshadowing. 

I'm thinking cue ball doesn't make it. The actor came up with the idea for the show and might want to take a more off screen role. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 1/9/2022 at 6:02 PM, billfromlaketravis said:

I think they could have stuck the landing a little better, but still very good. 

It left me with some unanswered questions. I hope Season 2 gets here soon. 

Yup loved the finale, but wanted it to happen differently I guess. All that preaching the convict "leader" gave to Mike...and then bam he gets sniped 1 minute later lol.  I was hoping he ran off...there was some fighting and then he dies.  Stupid convicts...you were gona get mowed down regardless...they really thought they would answer any terms after executing guards?

SWAT Team leader and his team needs its own spin off or more time on screen. 

Renner was fantastic in this.  I don't know how I feel about a big bad on the loose in this show, though.  It takes things away from what the core premise is.  I don't want it to end up like a mission centric video game like Sons of Anarchy did after season 3 or Peaky Blinders can be at times.  I prefer the Michael Clayton for prison politics side of it.  Hopefully Sheridan can maintain that.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Yeah I'm not thrilled with Milo on the loose. I know he has Law Abiding Citizen magical killing powers, but there will be thousands of cops looking for him. These prison break guys are never successful. The Texas Seven were about as organized as you can get and they found them in a month. 

But hey, maybe that's Season 2. The chase for Milo that occurs over a brief period of time. 

21 hours ago, A-Tex Devil said:

And yeah, the SWAT team leader is a great character but also a special kind of evil dude - Vic Mackey (not Surly’s) in training.  Hope he gets more run next season. 

I'd enjoy that from Sheridan way more than Jimmy and the Spinning Horses of the 6666. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...

Just finished this. I liked the show for its overall tone, acting, direction. The last 3 episodes were crazy intense.

Wish they would’ve found a way to get Bunny and Rebecca on screen in the finale because they both disappeared towards the end.

Nichole Galicia is a great looking woman. I swear I saw her coming out of Shinsei in Dallas last week but I have no way to verify that.

The premise of the show is the only thing holding me back and puts it in “liked it but didn’t love it” territory. Mike works all sides to maintain peaceful relations between cops, prison guards, and inmates. Everyone is totally cool with that and they often act as if they can’t function without him. Not sure he’s even very good at that role because shit steadily escalates throughout the show, and in the finale where he’s sent in to be the negotiator, it results in most people dying and him ducking for cover. Also, I don’t see how he brings in any money or pays Rebecca or the office rent, because hardly anyone shows up in his waiting room asking for favors they will actually pay for.

But if you overlook the ridiculous premise and just accept it as a show about tense relations between law enforcement and criminals, it’s fairly entertaining.

• 11 months later...