CDC letter

bullet

4 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

Do you even damage control, bro?

That is exactly my point. This is the vote of confidence to help recruiting. That is the the obvious priority for the program right now. Why do you think CDC gave Herman the vote of confidence last year in November? You think it was because he thought he was bringing him back? Same exact reason, to try and help the recruiting class. 

Edited by Codaxx
  • Hook 'Em 2

8 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

That is exactly my point. This is the vote of confidence to help recruiting. That is the the obvious priority for the program right now. Why do you think CDC gave Herman the vote of confidence last year in November? You think it was because he thought he was bringing him back? Same exact reason, to try and help the recruiting class. 

Well, it may have been partly geared toward that. More to try to talk donors off the ledge though in my opinion.

1 minute ago, Landomatic said:

Well, it may have been partly geared toward that. More to try to talk donors off the ledge though in my opinion.

The donors that he is worried about have his number and his has their number. You dont put out a public statement for guys that you communicate with. Sure maybe a part of it is lower donors and fans. This is Texas trying to control the message. Herman left a steaming pile of shit here, we are in control and fixing it. Not to mention this statement comes just days after Herbstreit tells almost that exact same story. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, CurlyDumps said:

So the early playing time pitch really works? Even for O-linemen who are practically never ready as freshman? “Come here, give up a year of development, get your pussy mashed in by bigger/stronger faster juniors and seniors, go 7-5 at best, but have fun doing it!”

That is to be determined. At this point they really dont have a another pitch. This is the "she has a great personality" pitch

5 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

The donors that he is worried about have his number and his has their number. You dont put out a public statement for guys that you communicate with. Sure maybe a part of it is lower donors and fans. This is Texas trying to control the message. Herman left a steaming pile of shit here, we are in control and fixing it. Not to mention this statement comes just days after Herbstreit tells almost that exact same story. 

Eh, if it were geared toward recruits, it would have been a tweetable/gramable screenshot meme graphic type thing, as was the case with the Herman "endorsement". Recruits don't read letters.

38 minutes ago, formermav43 said:

People arguing on a message board about how someone else uses their “limited time and resources” is amazing.

Last I checked, I wasn't making 7 figures to see that all of Texas' sports are winners. He is failing at that part of his job, and people pulling down 7 figures really shouldn't be making excuses. 

I think at this point the AD and others are just grasping at the straw of hope that because Sark just worked for Saban some of him rubbed off and this is just all Alabama 2007 type stuff.  Alabama did lose 4 straight to end that season before rebounding with a bowl win (we likely don't get that chance) and that infamous ULaMon loss was taken by the Tide on 11/17 (I think a lot of people tend to think that was some early season loss, but no it was a horrific late season loss against the normal SEC November cupcake). 

That said wish in one hand and shit in the other....hope ain't a fucking plan.  

Just now, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

so half the 2018 and 2019 classes are not on the roster???  Damn, talent depletion is a valid point, still can't excuse the Kansas loss though. 

Where are they? Are they starting at other schools? Injured? Not playing anymore?

9 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

Last I checked, I wasn't making 7 figures to see that all of Texas' sports are winners. He is failing at that part of his job, and people pulling down 7 figures really shouldn't be making excuses. 

This is just fucking dumb, and you are being overly emotion. Stop with stupid ass takes that you know aren’t true.

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, Pancho said:

This is just fucking dumb, and you are being overly emotion. Stop with stupid ass takes that you know aren’t true.

His job is not partially to lead our programs to success? Other than fundraising, what is his job then? How well do you think fundraising is going this fall? I believe YOU are the one being emotional.

Football is the #1 sport at The University of Texas. It alone supports almost every single other sport financially. Fans here have been extremely patient with a shitshow, and that patience has worn thin. Maybe stop with your stupid ass takes. 

4 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

His job is not partially to lead our programs to success? Other than fundraising, what is his job then? How well do you think fundraising is going this fall? I believe YOU are the one being emotional.

Football is the #1 sport at The University of Texas. It alone supports almost every single other sport financially. Fans here have been extremely patient with a shitshow, and that patience has worn thin. Maybe stop with your stupid ass takes. 

You act like CDC has any actual control over the football program or who the coach is.   He doesn't.

• Hook 'Em 2

I get the feeling CDC has to be the fall guy for football but doesn't get to make the actual decisions for football. I doubt he leaked the Meyer stuff himself and seems like he didn't make the call on the Sark hire so seems more like rich assholes are ruining things on the football side. 

Both basketballs, volleyball, and just about every other sport is highly competitive for conference and/or national titles. If CDC had the chance to run football how he sees fit maybe it would turn around after a while. 

2 minutes ago, Skipper said:

You act like CDC has any actual control over the football program or who the coach is.   He doesn't.

I was mostly just rebutting forevermav's comment about message board posters wasting time versus our AD wasting time. They really aren't the same thing. At all.

4 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

The most absurd take currently being spouted on this board.

In what way?  That people aren't aware CDC doesn't have the power to fire and hire football coaches? Or are you one of those people?   Because I thought i was pretty much common knowledge that firing Herman, putting the full court press on Urban and eventually landing on Sark was all above CDC's pay grade.

Edited by Skipper

2 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Would you grade his roster management an A- on a blended curve

Probably a solid D+ 

Sark brought in Worthy who is a beast as a freshman. We'll see what else he can do with the roster. 

I think you go hard for transfers along both lines, including back channel recruiting successful linemen at smaller G5 or lower schools to grad transfer in after this season. Same with QB and sell the Worthy situation hard to top skill position and defensive recruits. 

Was this a letter to recruits?  I ask because that is what it looks like to me.  "Hey top recruits, Texas really needs you and there is an opportunity to make an impact because of the gap in talent we have now.  If you come here you can look at the numbers to see where there is playing time."

6 minutes ago, formermav43 said:

Is that what that was supposed to be?

Yeah, that's what it was. My next response was to Pancho, who was pissed off that I expect our AD to steer a winning ship.

Maybe he's right. It doesn't seem that anyone who makes any decisions here believes we need to win.

2 hours ago, Landomatic said:

5:30 of this video made me cringe when I watched it live and it makes me cringe even more today...

What that moment said to me is that the boss talked and suggested a name and the minions agreed. There are some folks in positions of power that want to be agreed with and take very poorly to suggestions that do not mesh with their narrative. I am not saying that is what happened but that is how I interpret that now.

4 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Kevin Eltife or Jay Hartzell want one coaching candidate, Chris Del Conte wants another.

Who do you think gets hired?

According to CDC himself, they all wanted the guy we got.

But more to the point, I would hope the next AD has the fortitude to say “I recognize the importance of gathering feedback from all stakeholders, but ultimately I will need the authority to make what is ultimately the most important task this job requires: choosing a head football coach.”

If the powers that be say “sorry bubba, that decision is totally out of your hands” then we hired the wrong guy if he takes the job anyways.

7 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Kevin Eltife or Jay Hartzell want one coaching candidate, Chris Del Conte wants another. Who do you think gets hired?

This. The expression “redneck bbq- 1 set of ribs, too many cooks with an opinion on how to cook ‘em” comes to mind. 1 bad hire, stuff happens. 2 bad hires, real concern. 3 bad hires, it’s a pattern. At this point, most logical explanation is flawed administrative culture exacerbated by bad processes (winging it v methodical search).

3 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

But more to the point, I would hope the next AD has the fortitude to say “I recognize the importance of gathering feedback from all stakeholders, but ultimately I will need the authority to make what is ultimately the most important task this job requires: choosing a head football coach.”

If the powers that be say “sorry bubba, that decision is totally out of your hands” then we hired the wrong guy if he takes the job anyways.

What?  Get real.  The powers just say thanks for your interest in this job and hire someone else who agrees to let them run the football program.  Real life…

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

It just doesn't work that way at Texas. It doesn't work that way at most big college programs. Sure, the AD can give his input, but the ultimate decision is not his to make.

6 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Dude.  Are you this Naive about the way Texas operates?   And of course that is part of the problem.  

58 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

I think at this point the AD and others are just grasping at the straw of hope that because Sark just worked for Saban some of him rubbed off and this is just all Alabama 2007 type stuff.  Alabama did lose 4 straight to end that season before rebounding with a bowl win (we likely don't get that chance) and that infamous ULaMon loss was taken by the Tide on 11/17 (I think a lot of people tend to think that was some early season loss, but no it was a horrific late season loss against the normal SEC November cupcake). 

That said wish in one hand and shit in the other....hope ain't a fucking plan.  

That ULM team would probably kick the shit out of the Kansas team we just lost to. Bama also almost beat the eventual national champion that year and played close in every loss. Saban also already had a NC and Sark as exactly dick as a HC. 

1 minute ago, 4th&Five said:

That ULM team would probably kick the shit out of the Kansas team we just lost to. Bama also almost beat the eventual national champion that year and played close in every loss. Saban also already had a NC and Sark as exactly dick as a HC. 

No disagreement there...like I said "shit in the other"

1 hour ago, Tex Pete said:

This makes no sense.  "Our programs" are being successful save for 2. That doesn't mean he's failing at his job.  Money is coming in hand over fist so fundraising is fine.  Football is #1 to you, and that's fine.  To the University, they want success is all sports, which, once again, we pretty much have save to 2 sports.

So no, I'm not being emotional here, and that comment/response was idiotic. 

• Hook 'Em 4

4 hours ago, formermav43 said:

I wonder if anyone claiming this actually read the letter. He didn’t say anything about the caliber of the current players. He talked about attrition, injuries, and illness. The point was about depth, not throwing anyone under the bus. The hysterical reactions to that are ridiculous.

Are you seriously suggesting that you read “lack of depth” as a suggestion that depth behind the starter is the actual issue? That’s political talk for “we do not have good players”.  

8 minutes ago, Pancho said:

This makes no sense.  "Our programs" are being successful save for 2. That doesn't mean he's failing at his job.  Money is coming in hand over fist so fundraising is fine.  Football is #1 to you, and that's fine.  To the University, they want success is all sports, which, once again, we pretty much have save to 2 sports.

So no, I'm not being emotional here, and that comment/response was idiotic. 

Except that, again, football is the revenue driver for the whole department, by a long shot. Failing at football is failing at the job, however we want to parse who makes the football hires. 

5 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

Except that, again, football is the revenue driver for the whole department, by a long shot. Failing at football is failing at the job, however we want to parse who makes the football hires. 

But revenues aren’t falling. By your own criteria, he’s not failing at football.