According to Surly, the Kinds of Coaches We Don't Want

MaybeACoordinator

Stop starting threads. This isn't directed at you necessarily I'm just over it enough at this point to bring it up. Find a thread to put this in. There's been a billion shit-ass threads started the past 4-5 weeks and it fucks up the entire football board. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Fuck You 1

Just now, ztejas said:

Stop starting threads. This isn't directed at you necessarily I'm just over it enough at this point to bring it up. Find a thread to put this in. There's been a billion shit-ass threads started the past 4-5 weeks and it fucks up the entire football board. 

Aren’t you an SMU fan/alum?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 3

12 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Position coaches, like Sam Pittman or Dabo (went from WR coach / recruiting coordinator to interim to HC)

Survivors from previous failed regime (Dabo, Stoops)

Coordinators (Stoops, Riley, Snyder)

HS legends (Malzahn)

Lower division legends (Leipold, Klieman)

G5 winners (Urban at Utah; Rhule)

Guys who haven't won big enough at a P5 (Saban at MSU; all of the above)

NFL failures (Carroll)

I am not itching to fire Sark or any of the staff at this point, but just pointing out that every kind of resume has its pitfalls and rewards. Somebody in our slapdick organization has to be able to realize when the guy is the guy. And then they need to GTFO his way.

Going back to Dana X. Bible, we've exactly one seamless transfer of power. He handed off to the guy he beat out for the job ten years previously -- Blair Cherry -- who did something you just don't see anymore: he bided his time for a decade. Cherry's four-year run was as great as Bible's peak, but our fans and boosters wore him out with unrealistic expectations -- an NC every year, even though we'd never won a single one yet. 9-1 seasons and undefeated conference championships capped off by major bowl wins were not enough. (Yes, he lost to Bud Wilkinson's OU that year, 14-13). He was an insomniac, ulcerated wreck at the end of four years, but it looked like he managed to leave the program in good hands, just as Bible had done in leaving it to him. Cherry's successor went 23-8 with two top ten finishes and a Cotton Bowl win in his first three years....and then drove the program off a cliff. Yes, this was Ed Price, truly the worst coach in Texas history, who took a dynasty and in six years turned it into a 1-9 team.

So the whole promoting from within thing is also dangerous. We tried that at the end of Royal's tenure too. By most accounts, Akers was not Royal's guy. That was his DC Mike Campbell, but some of our boosters meddled and Akers won out. Who knows if Campbell would have been any better in the long run -- probably not, 'cause we needed young, post-integration blood on the sidelines then -- but maybe, who knows. And Akers did represent continuity, but not as much. At any rate, he, and the complete catastrophe that was the McWilliams Restoration, represented the end of the Royal era, and decades later, Mack did not get to execute his succession plan, which time has proven would have been a disaster, anyway....

Fuck this season. This is an off-season thread. 

giphy-downsized-large.gif

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 4
  • Haha 3

Just now, taybo20 said:

Pretty sure no one gives a fuck about what you want

It isn't what I want - it's basic message board etiquette you fucking dunce. But please go start another dumbass thread so we can rehash the same shit for the millionth fucking time. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, ztejas said:

It isn't what I want - it's basic message board etiquette you fucking dunce. But please go start another dumbass thread so we can rehash the same shit for the millionth fucking time. 

Definitely lost me at “etiquette” on surly lol

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

5 minutes ago, Pancho said:

Nigga you on a damn message board that isn’t your team telling us how to run thangs round here, that’s what the fuck it has to do with it. 

Get that shit out of your mouth you don't know me and don't tell me who my team is. I'm a diehard Horn fan and was way before I ever decided where I was going to school. Check the game threads to see who's actually still invested.

Don't be inflammatory for the sake of it. I'm not some troll poster trying to stir shit up.

Might as well post your degree while you're at it since you're going full Texags at this point and gatekeeping the fanbase.

Edited by ztejas
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, ztejas said:

Get that shit out of your mouth you don't know me and don't tell me who my team is. I'm a diehard Horn fan and was way before I ever decided where I was going to school. Check the game threads to see who's actually still invested.

Don't be inflammatory for the sake of it. I'm not some troll poster trying to stir shit up.

Yeah IDGAF if you are a Pony or what, but coming on here telling me what to do when I been on here since you were probably still eating boogers in school is some bullshit. 

Stop posting. You are fucking up the boards. 

• Hook 'Em 1

26 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

You’re still defending Charlie Strong. Maybe you’re not the best one to lecture the rest of us. 

Starting to some others doing it to, now, in retrospect. Herman left the team in worse shape and Sark's record winning percentage is now below Strong's. 

So much for that "worst coach of all time" shit. 

3 hours ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Position coaches, like Sam Pittman or Dabo (went from WR coach / recruiting coordinator to interim to HC)

HS legends (Malzahn)

NFL failures (Carroll)

I am not itching to fire Sark or any of the staff at this point, but just pointing out that every kind of resume has its pitfalls and rewards. Somebody in our slapdick organization has to be able to realize when the guy is the guy. And then they need to GTFO his way.

Going back to Dana X. Bible, we've exactly one seamless transfer of power. He handed off to the guy he beat out for the job ten years previously -- Blair Cherry -- who did something you just don't see anymore: he bided his time for a decade. Cherry's four-year run was as great as Bible's peak, but our fans and boosters wore him out with unrealistic expectations -- an NC every year, even though we'd never won a single one yet. 9-1 seasons and undefeated conference championships capped off by major bowl wins were not enough. (Yes, he lost to Bud Wilkinson's OU that year, 14-13). He was an insomniac, ulcerated wreck at the end of four years, but it looked like he managed to leave the program in good hands, just as Bible had done in leaving it to him. Cherry's successor went 23-8 with two top ten finishes and a Cotton Bowl win in his first three years....and then drove the program off a cliff. Yes, this was Ed Price, truly the worst coach in Texas history, who took a dynasty and in six years turned it into a 1-9 team.

So the whole promoting from within thing is also dangerous. We tried that at the end of Royal's tenure too. By most accounts, Akers was not Royal's guy. That was his DC Mike Campbell, but some of our boosters meddled and Akers won out. Who knows if Campbell would have been any better in the long run -- probably not, 'cause we needed young, post-integration blood on the sidelines then -- but maybe, who knows. And Akers did represent continuity, but not as much. At any rate, he, and the complete catastrophe that was the McWilliams Restoration, represented the end of the Royal era, and decades later, Mack did not get to execute his succession plan, which time has proven would have been a disaster, anyway....

This right here.

Anytime a coach stumbles the geniuses who KNEW he wouldn't work out come out of the woodwork. (I didn't see Fickle or Boatrower guy's name in your list, BTW, but I"m sure they not are suitable for bluebloods like us).  Strong was in over his head, it was a nice try and all but he wasn't ever going to grow into the job.  Herman was an immature flash in the pan who had some nice wins but it would take a decade of progress and a change in his "get one more point at half and hang on" philosophy.  Truthfully, he lost me at the Texas Bowl.

Sark has a contract with enough time to right the ship.  No one on this website is putting up the money to buy him out, so we're along for the ride anyway. 

Edited by Bullneck

3 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Nobody has cheered less for Sark's failure than me. 

Eat a dick, Pony Boy. 

Jesus dude. I'm not even coming after you. Like I said in my first comment it isn't your post specifically it's just a beating seeing 15 new threads started every week when Texas loses. Just airing a general grievance. Half this board didn't attend UT - none of you are getting under my skin reminding me of a life decision I don't regret. We're all on the same team here. 

• Hook 'Em 3

8 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Jesus dude. I'm not even coming after you. Like I said in my first comment it isn't your post specifically it's just a beating seeing 15 new threads started every week when Texas loses. Just airing a general grievance. Half this board didn't attend UT - none of you are getting under my skin reminding me of a life decision I don't regret. We're all on the same team here. 

Learn your place.

You are a guest here.

You are a newbie. You might not think you are, but you are. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Learn your place.

You are a guest here.

You are a newbie. You might not think you are, but you are. 

Well aware I'm a newbie. Unfortunately for you I'm past the guest stage. And I don't start threads that immediately devolve into a crock of shit like you've so kindly done for us here. 

If immamac wants to lock this thread, I'd just like to point that the OP was kind of a Zen koan, where the answer was supposed to be apparent to those who would see.

And as I was writing it, UTSA just marched 70-80 yards in the final 1:30 scoring a TD as time ran out to bring Jeff Traylor's season mark to 11-0.

• Like 1

OP knows his Texas football history and it is an interesting read...a welcome variance from the constant "We suck" mantra. I find it interesting to think back and realize that Bible came here from Nebraska and A&M before. It's impossible to know if the sequence of events back then, 70+ years ago, has anything to do with today's football program, but a little look at history adds some patina to an otherwise drab season.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Starting to some others doing it to, now, in retrospect. Herman left the team in worse shape and Sark's record winning percentage is now below Strong's. 

So much for that "worst coach of all time" shit. 

This is fucking stupid.

Charlie Strong won 16 games in 3 fucking seasons at Texas. He lost by 18 every 3 games  or so.

He’s still the worst (for now).

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

By most accounts, Akers was not Royal's guy. That was his DC Mike Campbell, but some of our boosters meddled and Akers won out.

The story around Austin at the time was DKR wanted Campbell but the UT President at the time (Rodgers I think) did interviews and she was really impressed with Akers suit.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

I mean the optics wouldn’t look great, but firing a 4-8 drunk and snagging Traylor for 3 or whatever million dollars makes too much sense. Low risk high reward. Yeah yeah don’t fire coaches after the first year and whatnot but Traylor seems to have that hunger and he’s a Texas legend. He’s the guy. Someone, preferably @ztejas should go have some drinks and give sark some Xanax. Then boom. Traylor is here. Low risk high reward 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 11/20/2021 at 4:56 PM, MaybeACoordinator said:

HS legends (Malzahn)

NFL failures (Carroll)

Akers had two regular season undefeated teams. We had fabulous defenses and played rugged football. It went sour at the end, but it did for Royal as well. His scorned reputation around Texas is actually proof of your point about rabid Texas fans at the end of the Blair Cherry years. Akers shouldn't be lumped with any of his successors other than Brown.

6 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

Akers had two regular season undefeated teams. We had fabulous defenses and played rugged football. It went sour at the end, but it did for Royal as well. His scorned reputation around Texas is actually proof of your point about rabid Texas fans at the end of the Blair Cherry years. Akers shouldn't be lumped with any of his successors other than Brown.

It went really, really bad though....Recruiting was awful at the end of his tenure, setting McWilliams up for failure too.

One thing about Mackovic -- he left behind a shit-ton of talent, more than anyone aside from Royal. 

1 hour ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

It went really, really bad though....Recruiting was awful at the end of his tenure, setting McWilliams up for failure too.

One thing about Mackovic -- he left behind a shit-ton of talent, more than anyone aside from Royal. 

You're absolutely correct.

I will note, for those who don't remember, that Akers was recruiting against SMU, A&M, TCU, and (of course) OU who cheating at unprecedented levels.