2022 Off-Season Thread: No Kool-Aid, Just Flavor-Aid

BurntOrange&White

Sunshine from FCB

Winter workouts were rolling right up until Thursday’s freeze that shut down campus, and I continue to hear good things about the entire defensive back group of newcomers who enrolled in January.

I’m hearing that group — Ryan Watts, Terrance Brooks, Bryan Allen and Jaylon Guilbeau — have really bonded and carry themselves with a lot of confidence.

Steve Sarkisian is telling his staff he wants the corners to get up on receivers and play more press coverage going forward.

According to sources, based on early reviews of how they can flip their hips, turn and run, Watts and Brooks have stood out. Watts, who is nearly 6-foot-3, and Brooks, who attacks everything he does with confidence, will get a chance to show what they can do during spring ball in late March.

In fact, one source said the confident presence of those DB newcomers, led by Watts, Brooks and safety Bryan Allen - has created some “good competitive tension” with the veterans in the secondary.

And that leads to Jerrin Thompson and Anthony Cook being the first names out of Steve Sarkisian’s mouth on Wednesday when I asked him about the lack of veteran presence on this team at safety.

Cook was one of the steadier players in the secondary — at nickel/star — last season, but he was also on the final depth chart of the season at boundary safety behind B.J. Foster and Chris Adimora (more on those two in a minute).

One team source told me this week, “We need a field safety, whether he’s already on our team or in the portal, we’re looking for a field safety.”

Field safety is where Brenden Schooler and Jerrin Thompson lined up last season. Schooler started the season opener, then was replaced in the starting lineup by Thompson for the next five games before Schooler returned to the starting lineup for the final six games.

Schooler was a high-effort/energy guy who finished fourth on the team in tackles. Thompson has shown flickers of promise, but needs to take his game way up this spring or he’ll be at risk of being beat out by JD Coffey or possibly even Bryan Allen Jr. or perhaps a late-addition transfer.

Cook will obviously get a look at boundary safety to replace Foster, who is transferring to Sam Houston State to finish out his eligibility.

He also touched on how his sources said BJ Foster was a "quiet cancer" who said all the right things publicly in front of teammates and coaches but never backed it up. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Sunshine from FCB

He also touched on how his sources said BJ Foster was a "quiet cancer" who said all the right things publicly in front of teammates and coaches but never backed it up. 

Getting publicly benched on senior day after letting a guy half your size run by you without lifting a finger to stop him is the play that will define his legacy here. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Sunshine from FCB

No kool-aid, but if I remember right, every DB in this class was ranked higher than any DB we had last year when they were recruited. And they are all still considered to be more talented than what we had. Hopefully it translates into some of them being solid contributors this year.

35 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Sunshine from FCB

Anything on Adimora? Surprised he hasn’t went anywhere yet

3 minutes ago, OB3 said:

Anything on Adimora? Surprised he hasn’t went anywhere yet

Probably pretty telling he hasn't ended up anywhere despite decent film and has only tweeted out an offer from Hawaii. Probably means there is more to the story of his departure. 

I’m waiting to see some reliable weight numbers for the OL. Jake Majors was listed at 310 last year but I don’t think he was north of 300 and he needs to add strength. Andrej Karic was listed at 300 but again, no way he played at 300. He’s got a great disposition for Oline but is too light in the ass.

6 minutes ago, OB3 said:

Anyone have this? Give me all the kool-aid

• Neyor is turning heads. People in the program are wondering how the hell he ended up at Wyoming. 
  • Offensive skill guys are throwing a few times a week led by Card and Ewers. Roschon and Bijan are involved heavily too. Ewers is still just going about his business and doesn't say much but guys are recognizing the arm talent
  • Finkley is impressing
  • Guilbeau and BJ Allen don't say much, but they belong and were singled out for how hard they work
  • After players sign, they were given access to an app with S&C workouts and nutrition info.
  • Staff views Devon Campbell as a starter at some point next year. He wants a shot at RT but will likely end up at guard. As for the other OL signees, Banks will start his career at LT, Hutson as a guard and Robertson is penciled in at center. Agbo may get a look at tackle but he's likely a guard long term.
Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 5

7 minutes ago, SuckitKevin said:

I’m waiting to see some reliable weight numbers for the OL. Jake Majors was listed at 310 last year but I don’t think he was north of 300 and he needs to add strength. Andrej Karic was listed at 300 but again, no way he played at 300. He’s got a great disposition for Oline but is too light in the ass.

The issue with Karic in particular is I don't think he has the frame to carry much more than 310-315ish. Combine that with his short wingspan and he probably needs to slide inside to guard once the freshman OL arrive in the summer.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 2/3/2022 at 12:38 PM, LTtxfan said:

GIF-OK-okay-Cheryl-Cole-GIF.gif&ehk=IWil

I know one actually cares what the players say but Jordan Whittington said the same thing a few weeks ago in his interview with Serenity Douglas on the OB youtube channel.  Her player interviews are actually pretty interesting and candid.  

• Hook 'Em 3

On 2/3/2022 at 12:38 PM, LTtxfan said:

GIF-OK-okay-Cheryl-Cole-GIF.gif&ehk=IWil

I know no one actually cares what the players say but Jordan Whittington mentioned the same thing a few weeks ago in his interview with Serenity Douglas on the OB youtube channel.  Her player interviews are actually pretty interesting and candid.  

Edited by GTJ1982
  • Hook 'Em 1

I continue to hear good things about the entire defensive back group of newcomers who enrolled in January.

Once again the tradition of the "new guys who have yet to show they suck on the field are doing great!" narrative.

According to sources, based on early reviews of how they can flip their hips, turn and run, Watts and Brooks have stood out. 

These writers all have near zero knowledge of talent evals so they've gleaned a few catch phrases and just put them on repeat to try to sound like they know something. "Flip their hips" may be my favorite of these. 

7 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

Sunshine from FCB

By nature wouldn't a locker room cancer have to be vocal? Its a term used for a guy who causes division and problems in the room and hard to do that if you arent talking. A guy who says all the right things but doesn't back it up isn't a cancer. He's just a bust. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

I can’t wait to see what Worthy looks like this year with a QB with the arm talent to get him the ball in stride.   I watched a highlight tape of his and there were at least 3 TDs he was robbed of due to the ball being short.  

Also excited to see what Marion can do with him.  Eerily similar in play style to Addison but probably faster. Highlights are almost identical. 

21 hours ago, GTJ1982 said:

I know no one actually cares what the players say but Jordan Whittington mentioned the same thing a few weeks ago in his interview with Serenity Douglas on the OB youtube channel.  Her player interviews are actually pretty interesting and candid.  

Seems like I remember reading something last off-season about some S&C peers questioning what Yancy had the players doing - like actually being stunned. Add in the mass injuries from the past few years, and maybe if you squint you can connect some dots and conclude that there may be something to this “build from the foundation” approach to S&C under the new staff, emphasizing form, alignment, etc. 

On the other hand, it’s a 9.95 off-season report about S&C, so…

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, victory88 said:

I’ll be honest. This team looked bigger and faster under Yancy.  We had injuries forsure but whatever they did in S&C last year had us looking and playing worse than Kansas. 

In 2021, some speculate that Becton focused more on movement, increasing athleticism, and injury prevention -- and obviously football strength suffered.

I'm no expert, but Becton better fuckin' get it right this year.

This guy talks a little about it at the 18:45 mark... 

(don't waste your time on rest of video)

Edited by LTtxfan
typo
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 2/4/2022 at 12:28 PM, Vertigo said:

Getting publicly benched on senior day after letting a guy half your size run by you without lifting a finger to stop him is the play that will define his legacy here. 

His [never getting drafted] draft film should just be of him running parallel to a slow-ass QB for 40 yards.

1 hour ago, victory88 said:

I’ll be honest. This team looked bigger and faster under Yancy.  We had injuries forsure but whatever they did in S&C last year had us looking and playing worse than Kansas. 

Well in fairness, whatever Yancy did had us playing within one score of Kansas in 2 of his 3 games.

And the team definitely wasn’t faster under him. The number of players who’s speed steadily regressed each year under him is pretty long. Keaontay Ingram looked and ran like a insider linebacker by his 3rd year in the program. 

We will see if speed and size both increase this offseason. Will be interesting to compare the weights of some of the OL and DL from last year to this spring when the roster comes out.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 4

1 hour ago, LTtxfan said:

In 2021, some speculate that Becton focused more on movement, increasing athleticism, and injury prevention -- and obviously football strength suffered.

I'm no expert, but Becton better fuckin' get it right this year.

This guy talks a little about it at the 18:45 mark... 

(don't waste your time on rest of video)

Some of this might be my own bias, because I speculated that S&C might have suffered from an oversteer last year. Under Yancy Texas was always big, bulky, and stiff. Sark came in talking about functional mobility. They came in working on correcting that and seemed to under emphasize brute strength. Like going to the gym and seeing a trainer have someone go all kinds of core strength stuff and forget that squats set the tone for everything 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BurntOrangeBlooded15 said:

I can’t wait to see what Worthy looks like this year with a QB with the arm talent to get him the ball in stride.   I watched a highlight tape of his and there were at least 3 TDs he was robbed of due to the ball being short.  

Also excited to see what Marion can do with him.  Eerily similar in play style to Addison but probably faster. Highlights are almost identical. 

Also just the momentum of coming off a year where he actually played football.  The guy balled out after having his senior season cancelled and being a summer enrollee with  a new staff. Incredible. 

He now gets an entire offseason being WR1 in the same system. Exciting. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Drool 1

On 1/31/2022 at 9:58 AM, D3zii said:

Is this good??? 39295C24-4BC1-4E75-89CE-AFE5294BC1C7.thumb.png.04b38294ae0dcf20485bfd6952354c36.png

If so i really believe Brooks is going to make that transition from Bijan super smooth. . He looked really good is his small amount of reps 

Well, I think this confirms the Texas roster likely has a speed problem.

Johnson @ 219lbs = 20.1 mph
Brooks @ 199lbs = 20 mph
Watts @ 205lbs = 19.3 mph
Bijan @ 214lbs = 18mph
Washington @ 191lbs = 19.9 mph
Jamison @ 184lbs = 20.5 mph
Barron @ 186lbs = 20.2 mph
Crawford @ 196lbs = 18.8 mph
Whittington @ 203lbs = 18.1 mph
Cain @ 192lbs = 19.1 mph

** if a 4.4 is roughly 26 mph, then you have a whole slew of your top scores closer to a 5.0 than 4.4

** i used roster weights, so likely they are lighter when they ran this test

On 1/31/2022 at 11:09 AM, Elmer_Fudd said:

10890321.png

Contrast to first round nfl talent, Evan Neal reportedly gets up to 18.5 mph, making his hit stick 6475 @ 350lbs 

Burks, the WR from Ark has a hit stick of 5085 with 22.6 mph @ 225lbs.

Edited by pacman

Well, I think this confirms the Texas roster likely has a speed problem.

Johnson @ 219lbs = 20.1 mph
Brooks @ 199lbs = 20 mph
Watts @ 205lbs = 19.3 mph
Bijan @ 214lbs = 18mph
Washington @ 191lbs = 19.9 mph
Jamison @ 184lbs = 20.5 mph
Barron @ 186lbs = 20.2 mph
Crawford @ 196lbs = 18.8 mph
Whittington @ 203lbs = 18.1 mph
Cain @ 192lbs = 19.1 mph
** if a 4.4 is roughly 26 mph, then you have a whole slew of your top scores closer to a 5.0 than 4.4
** i used roster weights, so likely they are lighter when they ran this test

How many times do we have to say, quit worrying about the numbers…
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Burt Macklin said:

If your math leads you to conclude that no one on our team runs a sub 4.7, then you probably did some really shitty math. 

Most guys who run a 4.4 or better are hitting about 22 MPH at top speed, not 26. So no, the fastest guys on our team are not closer to a 5.0 than a 4.4 and just the fact you actually believed that is pretty ridiculous. 

DK Metcalf maxed out at 22.6 mph on the Budda Baker chase down. And everyone knows that play has lived on in everyone's memory for how slowly the guys involved were running. Couple of ~5.0 40 guys

• Haha 1

Too much math. I’ve watched enough football to know which of our players run below a 4.5.  

Devon Duvernay ran a 4.38 I think at the combine.  Outside of Worthy and Keilan, and mayyyyyyyybe D’Shawn Jamison, who else do you see on this roster with his type of speed?  I would be willing to bet we probably have less than 6-7 guys that can run a sub 4.5 on this entire roster which is fucking sad.  

15 minutes ago, victory88 said:

Too much math. I’ve watched enough football to know which of our players run below a 4.5.  

Devon Duvernay ran a 4.38 I think at the combine.  Outside of Worthy and Keilan, and mayyyyyyyybe D’Shawn Jamison, who else do you see on this roster with his type of speed?  I would be willing to bet we probably have less than 6-7 guys that can run a sub 4.5 on this entire roster which is fucking sad.  

B Thompson (although he’s not on campus yet)

Edited by Nope

22 hours ago, Askew said:

Also just the momentum of coming off a year where he actually played football.  The guy balled out after having his senior season cancelled and being a summer enrollee with  a new staff. Incredible. 

He now gets an entire offseason being WR1 in the same system. Exciting. 

He’ll regress*

*still not drinking it

1 hour ago, TommyGufano said:

DK Metcalf maxed out at 22.6 mph on the Budda Baker chase down. And everyone knows that play has lived on in everyone's memory for how slowly the guys involved were running. Couple of ~5.0 40 guys

Reggie Bush topped out at 23.1 mph during a punt return TD.

2 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

If your math leads you to conclude that no one on our team runs a sub 4.7, then you probably did some really shitty math. 

Most guys who run a 4.4 or better are hitting about 22 MPH at top speed, not 26. So no, the fastest guys on our team are not closer to a 5.0 than a 4.4 and just the fact you actually believed that is pretty ridiculous. 

Your pedantic beatdowns are a lot funnier when they are aimed at someone else.

• Haha 4

47 minutes ago, victory88 said:

Guys not named that I'd believe but obviously can't say with certainty on: Alexis, Blue, Crawford, Barron, Kelvontay, Gbenda (maybe a stretch, but he can scoot), T Brooks 

Usain Bolt hit 27+ miles per hour. But based on what I read that was between 60 and 80 meters.

So you’ve got fastest dude, but he’s not reaching max speed until we’ll after a 40 would be over.

I’d guess there are quite a few dudes over the years that could hang with Usain for 40 but can’t after that.

All the NextGen fastest times seem to be recorded on long TD runs presumably because speed needs being built up so it’d be worth noting at what point in those runs did they hit the max.

With respect to our dudes numbers, how far are they running? I’d speculate that some guys wouldn’t hit their max speed until after 40 yards whereas some are very quick off the start but maybe can’t maintain their speed after40, 50 yards. Derrick Henry may have better top end speed than a guy like Bijan, but Bijan may have a better 10 or 20 meters.

Interesting to speculate on how fast these guys are, but you really need comparable data under like conditions to make useful determinations.