2022 Off-Season Thread: No Kool-Aid, Just Flavor-Aid

BurntOrange&White

New Analyst to help with CBs...

First Impression: What new analyst Joey Thomas brings to Texas

ByMIKE ROACH 42 minutes ago

During his tenure in Austin, Steve Sarkisian has been able to build a strong staff both on the field and in support roles. Per Brandon Huffman of 247Sports, the Longhorns will be hiring Joey Thomas as a defensive analyst.

A native of Burien, Washington, Thomas played at Seattle-area power Kennedy Catholic. Thomas went on to play cornerback at Montana State under Pete Kwiatkowski. A third-round draft pick of the Green Bay Packers, Thomas played in the NFL and CFL for seven years with stops in New Orleans, Dallas, Edmonton, Miami and Oakland.

After leaving the professional ranks, Thomas served as a high school head coach at Ballard High School and Garfield High School. Thomas made a jump to the college ranks in 2019 working for Fort Scott Junior College as the passing game coordinator, special teams coordinator, academic coordinator and secondary coach.

From there, Thomas went to Florida Atlantic as an analyst in 2020 and was promoted to wide receiver coach in 2021. At Texas, Thomas will assist Terry Joseph in coaching corners and helping the secondary.

Texas has been trying to expand into the Pacific Northwest in recruiting, and Thomas should be able to help considering his experience as a high school coach in the region. Texas currently has a few offers out to players in the area and could find more with Thomas’ connections in the region.

247Sports National Recruiting Analyst Brandon Huffman covered Thomas as a high school coach and spoke with Horns247 about what he could bring to the staff.

“He’s going to bring a good eye for evaluation. Additional connections to the Pacific Northwest as well as connections in Northern California and Florida after spending the last two years at FAU.”

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, TheMailBox357 said:

LOL, last week Rod Babers said Sark shouldn't even bother preparing for Bama. Just focus on the UTEP game instead.

That’s not what he said.  He said people will look past a loss to Bama game bc everyone expects us to lose.  But people will be up in arms if we lose to UTSA.  Given their successful year last year and Jeff Traylor constantly trying to link his name with the Texas job, they’re going to spend all offseason trying to make sure we go 0-2.  A loss to UTSA and Sark can kiss any chance of being our head coach after year 2 good bye.  You can’t lose to Kansas at home and then follow that up with losing to UTSA at home again.  Basically he wants Sark to know that he can’t lose to Traylor and his team if he wants to be the coach here long term.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, TheMailBox357 said:

LOL, last week Rod Babers said Sark shouldn't even bother preparing for Bama. Just focus on the UTEP game instead.

What a bitch. 

Ive suffered enough losses in the past 10 years to be fine if our guys put up a fight of some kind.

• Hook 'Em 1

24 minutes ago, Domedriver said:

In the tradition of Down Town James Brown!  I say we beat Bama!🤘

"ROLL LEFT" JAMES BROWN

"DOWNTOWN" FREDDIE BROWN

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, TheMailBox357 said:

Why's anybody listening to Ketch's opinion on anything besides wing joints.

1 hour ago, victory88 said:

That’s not what he said.  He said people will look past a loss to Bama game bc everyone expects us to lose.  But people will be up in arms if we lose to UTSA.  Given their successful year last year and Jeff Traylor constantly trying to link his name with the Texas job, they’re going to spend all offseason trying to make sure we go 0-2.  A loss to UTSA and Sark can kiss any chance of being our head coach after year 2 good bye.  You can’t lose to Kansas at home and then follow that up with losing to UTSA at home again.  Basically he wants Sark to know that he can’t lose to Traylor and his team if he wants to be the coach here long term.

I think if he won out after going 0-2 we'd bring him back. Hell, 9 wins would probably do it.

Edited by Bevo14

1 hour ago, Bevo14 said:

Why's anybody listening to Ketch's opinion on anything besides wing joints.

I think if he won out after going 0-2 we'd bring him back. Hell, 9 wins would probably do it.

You’re putting a lot of faith in a program where loser mentality has become the norm.  This same team gave up on the season after their monumental collapse against ou and rode their way to the worst losing streak in program history.  If they start 0-2, they are more likely to finish bowl ineligible again rather than 9 wins.  But I agree, 9 wins and everyone will be sucking Sarks dick and the AD will give him an underserved extension like we did with Herman.

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 4

13 minutes ago, victory88 said:

You’re putting a lot of faith in a program where loser mentality has become the norm.  This same team gave up on the season after their monumental collapse against ou and rode their way to the worst losing streak in program history.  If they start 0-2, they are more likely to finish bowl ineligible again rather than 9 wins.  But I agree, 9 wins and everyone will be sucking Sarks dick and the AD will give him an underserved extension like we did with Herman.

umm-ok.gif.a81c6012cf90c67af9df4b9a1ca3554d.gif

5 hours ago, victory88 said:

Or as FYPM would say, you can't let Alabama beat you twice!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

On 2/21/2022 at 7:39 PM, victory88 said:

We aren't losing to UTSA. It will be worse than the TT game.

It will be funny when we catch 'bama flat and blast them and aggy gets shitholed by them for another 8-4 season. 

• Like 1
  • Drool 1

7 minutes ago, Gaffords said:

We aren't losing to UTSA. It will be worse than the TT game.

It will be funny when we catch 'bama flat and blast them and aggy gets shitholed by them for another 8-4 season. 

If you think Bama will be flat against us you are sorely mistaken. They were flat against aggy because they had mudholed them for the last decade and aggy had recently lost their QB1. 

5 hours ago, Codaxx said:

Thats the spirit. The pre-bitching about the season gets tiring. 

Every year I get 100000% bought in then all my hopes and dreams get shattered and my favorite sport ruined. Every year. At least it won't be due to the big 12 awful officiating after 2023 I guess.

1 hour ago, Gaffords said:

Just drink the kool-aid baby.

sorry, Flavor-aid only

4 hours ago, TheMailBox357 said:

Some good sunshine pumpin' by Justin Wells:

Wells is over the legal allowable limit of 9.95er optimism. Where is our guy who perused the mugshots to keep an eye out for the inevitable public intoxication?

Edited by Vertigo

4 hours ago, South Austin said:

Assistant Equipment Manager tweet. Okay. It must be a slow news day in the world.

Sark is leaving no stone unturned. Herman constantly talked about players needing to be ready in case a guy in front of them broke a shoelace. Sark is nipping that shit in the bud. We have championship level shoelaces now.

Money reportedly won’t influence when Texas leaves for SEC

https://apple.news/A6dLk_G7gPR-3nPODqbET8A

The SEC could place an ultimatum on the b12 with a simple addition to the Bylaws saying no sec sport will be allowed to play against b12 teams for a set length of time if they don’t let texas and ou out of their contract. Regular season sports of course.

I’m sure this has been discussed but probably doesn’t make sense for whatever reason.

2 hours ago, markstanco said:

The SEC could place an ultimatum on the b12 with a simple addition to the Bylaws saying no sec sport will be allowed to play against b12 teams for a set length of time if they don’t let texas and ou out of their contract. Regular season sports of course.

I’m sure this has been discussed but probably doesn’t make sense for whatever reason.

Yeah, baby. Fuckabuncha already-signed and binding contracts to play interleague games in 2022-23-24. This rule'll show 'em.

IT Team Notes

By: Eric and Justin

Offseason continues as we near spring ball less than a month away.

This week was similar to last week; three lifts, two team runs, and good intensity and energy.

We’re in the part of the calendar where info isn’t exactly flying off the shelves but there’s always intrigue.

What’s Gary Patterson up to?
He’s there every day. He’s really interactive. He’s learning everybody, getting a good feel for the program. He seems intent on building relationships. He’s in the meetings with the coaches. You can definitely feel he’s a part of the program.

He has a track record in S&C. Is he around the weight room? Does he have any influence in programming?
He’s around strength and conditioning and in the weight room, definitely. I’m not sure if he influenced the lifting regiment.

IT has heard he’s fond of Pete Kwiatkowski and the defensive staff overall.
He is. I know if his opinion was asked of whether or not Texas should make a change on defense, he’d say they shouldn’t. He’s of the belief UT had personnel issues.

Has he worked with the players much?
I know he’s had some interactions with the guys on technical things but not a whole lot. I think he’s still getting his bearings. Key takeaway with Patterson is he’s not in Austin to mail it in. He’s becoming one of the guys and taking a real interest in the players.

Overall, are the coaches harder on the players this spring?
At first they were, but now it seems the players are harder on each other. They’re trying to cultivate a player driven culture.

Some player notes: We hear Maalik Murphy is in a boot. What’s going on?
He arrived with an injury and it’s still healing. Nothing to be worried about.

We ask every week: any youngsters standing out?
I’ve heard good things about Jaydon Blue recently. He’s pushing himself more; doing better keeping up with the older guys.

He’s in a good room.
If only every room had a Roschon and a Bijan. Maybe in time.

What about Larry Turner-Gooden?
He’s working hard to get back to being the guy Texas offered. He’s missed so much time but he’s full-go right now. Word is he’s smart and a quick study. He’s also pretty popular with the guys already.

He was likable as a recruit for sure. Anything else?
No, not really. Just a lot of guys putting their head down and working and trying to get stronger. Ah, that reminds me. Someone told me Terrance Brooks power cleaned 305.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, markstanco said:

SEC to the BIG 12.    - Let my people go!.   Don't make us go full Moses on your ass. -