Texas Recruiting Notes 2025: Now We Have a Machine Gun

texifornia

40 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

That's scally-sized. Maybe he runs a 4.1 40 and a 3.7 shuttle.

He doesn't. He's kinda quick, but looks normal speed-wise on film and apparently he ran an 11.44 100 as a freshman.

Looks like a legit offer, but I can't imagine what value he provides over the other guys.

Really like this note - his quotes about us, as well as his evaluation. 

Hope we get this guy.  A creative play caller like Sark ... could be fun.

Texas 2025 TE target Emaree Winston sets commitment date

Hank South (Horns 247)

Spoiler

Texas 2025 TE target Emaree Winston sets commitment date

Hank South (Horns 247)

Four-star tight end Emaree Winston, a 2025 product from Calhoun (Ga.), will announce his college decision on Dec. 18, he tells Horns247. Winston announced a top three of Texas, Ohio State, and UCF last month. 

Winston has seen the Longhorns in live action twice this season -- once for the Red River Shootout and then again for the Kansas State game in early November. 

“I love how they use their TE,” Winston told Horns247 of the Longhorns earlier this fall when he put Texas in his top group.

Winston sees an opportunity to contribute early in Austin, too.

“I know I can go in early and play with JT leaving,” he said. “I talk to JT a lot actually. He just tells me he loves it. This is the place to be.”

A 6-foot-1.5, 235 pounds, Winston is ranked the No. 12 tight end and the No. 253 overall player in the country, per the 247Sports Composite Rankings. 247Sports is higher on the Peach State standout, ranking him the No. 8 tight end and the No. 121 overall player in the country.

The 247Sports Crystal Ball heavily favors Texas just eight days out. 

Here's Winston's 247Sports player evaluation, via Gabe Brooks:

"Bully of a football player who provides a tone-setting play style as a pass catcher or gadget ball carrier. Shorter than your typical tight end prospect, but regularly shows why finding ways to get him the ball is smart. Experienced basketball player who plays above listed size thanks to his strength, timing, and functional athleticism.

Rebounding prowess (9.5 rpg as a sophomore, 8.7 rpg as a freshman) manifests on the gridiron. Powerful plucker at the high point, where the cross-sport functionality really shines. Stoutly built and broad-trunked with excellent play strength that combines with high-pointing acumen and body control to create a difficult matchup vs. smaller defensive backs.

Wins contested throws with body awareness, strong-handed dexterity, and effort. Knows how to use his body to keep defenders at bay and flashes close-quarters power as a blocker and a runner. High-motor player who plays hard and transfers that effort to blocking. Locks on and drives and will finish to the ground. Basically dares defenders to tackle him 1-on-1.

Searches for contact with the ball, which will be a riskier proposition at the next level. Physical upside limited by lack of typical height / frame length. Strength and effort to play attached, but limited size may require H-heavy usage in college. Possibly needs a specific plan / scheme to be properly deployed.

Flat-out football player and bona fide P5-caliber prospect. Find a way to get him involved and you will be glad you did. Projects as a potential impact move tight end who could be dangerous as a pass catcher and a lead blocker when utilized properly."

Justin Wells: Top 2025 Texas target Emaree Winston breaks down final schools before his decision date

2025 Calhoun (Ga.) tight end Emaree Winston has cut his list down to Texas, Ohio State, and UCF over the last few weeks. Now, he’s ready to make a decision. The 6-foot-3, 230-pound four-star from the Peach State sees positives in all of his three final schools. He’s tripped to Dallas for the Texas-OU bash, then visited Austin weeks later with his parents for the Texas-BYU game. He’s also taken trips to Columbus to see the Buckeyes a handful of times.

After all those miles and plane rides, Winston is prepared to pick his future college program. For Texas, it’s a number of things for Winston including All Big 12 tight end Ja’Tavion Sanders‘ usage and the Horns moving to the SEC next summer. His bond with Sanders continues to grow as well. “I like Texas going to the SEC,” Winston told Inside Texas. “Plus my parents love it here (in Austin).”

For Ohio State, they need two tight ends in the 2025 cycle and Winston is among their targets. “Ohio State’s atmosphere and fan base is craaazzzy,” said Winston. For UCF, he’s really built a solid foundation with Gus Malzahn and the Central Florida staff. “I love the coaching staff at UCF,” Winston said.

Winston is the No. 236 overall prospect, the No. 13 tight end, and the No. 28 player in Georgia in the 2025 On3 Industry Ranking, a proprietary algorithm that compiles ratings and rankings from all four primary recruiting media services. On3 ranks Winston as the No. 19 tight end, and the No. 39 player in the state of Georgia for the Class of 2025.

Gerry Hamilton: Michigan and Texas among the schools impressing John Mills

John Mills is one of the top offensive line prospects in the 2025 cycle on the West Coast. The 6-foot-6.25, 325-pound inside offensive line prospect currently sports 12 offers, including 11 Power 5’s. One of those offers is Texas. Early last week Longhorns offensive line coach Kyle Flood stopped by St. Ignatius College Prep in San Fransisco. Flood has been heavily recruiting Mills since attending Texas camp June 11.

“I like him (Flood) a lot as a coach,” Mills told On3. “I first met him after the camp (in June). We’ve been texting, and I saw him at the Texas-Wyoming game earlier this season. Him coming out to the school shows another level of commitment.” Mills watched Texas play in person against Wyoming this year, a lot throughout the season and will watch the Longhorns in person January 1.

“Oh man, I’ve watched a lot. I’ve watched almost every single one of Texas’ games, and the schools I’m considering. I’m actually going to New Orleans for Christmas. My dad has a friend in New Orleans, so it just happens that we will be there. I’m planning to attend the Texas-Washington game.”

Mills attended the Ohio State-Michigan Game

“The Big House environment was crazy. Just like the Texas game against Wyoming. There was a bunch of energy and a bunch passion from the Michigan fanbase. It’s a massive stadium, and the game itself from sick. It’s was a great experience.” Michigan offensive line coach Sherrone Moore  has impressed Mills this season, especially as the acting head coach for three games.

“It’s crazy,” John Mills told The Wolverine. “It’s risky, but honestly, I like it. The way he coaches is aggressive. I like it. He’s going on fourth down, running the ball a lot, imposing his will, which I like a lot.” The first trip to Michigan by Mills and family was last spring to see the campus and university.

The plan moving ahead

Mills told On3 that he is staying in contact with five or six teams. Michigan, Texas and Washington are among those he’s in communication with the most. “I’m in contact with five or six schools. Washington, Texas, a little bit of Cal, a little bit UCLA and Michigan.”

A very athletic family

Mills will be the latest in a long line of division one athletes in the family tree. that includes four family members that were athletes at the University of Washington. “My dad was a rower at the Naval Academy. My mom played tennis for a little bit at UW. My cousin baseball at UW. My grandfather and his brother played football for UW. And my uncle water polo at UCLA.”

Mills’ father and uncle were Navy Seals. Mills is currently the No. 440 ranked prospect in the 2025 cycle. He is the No. 31 ranked IOL in the cycle, and No. 37 ranked prospect in California. The Northern California prospect reports that he stands 6-6.25, weighs 325-pounds with 10.5 inch hands, 34 inch arms and an 81-inch wingspan.

Edited by satyanash
  • Hook 'Em 2

8 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

I haven't been following 2025 much and I know Rivals sucks donkey dick, but is this class particularly loaded in state? Like, crazy stacked? I'm seeing like 28 out of the top 150 and 44 of the top 250 in the country from Texas. I'm no expert, but this might be a good time to be coming off a playoff appearance while your in-state rival is trying to get its shit together. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

I haven't been following 2025 much and I know Rivals sucks donkey dick, but is this class particularly loaded in state? Like, crazy stacked? I'm seeing like 28 out of the top 150 and 44 of the top 250 in the country from Texas. I'm no expert, but this might be a good time to be coming off a playoff appearance while your in-state rival is trying to get its shit together. 

In brief, yeah this is supposed to be a beastly in-state class after the dip in 2024.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Is DJ Sanders from Bellville a guy we have a shot with?  Looks pretty disruptive in the state game, haven't heard much about him, think he's visited a time or two.  Or this one that's just enamored with aggy?

https://247sports.com/player/dj-sanders-46130459/

From the way they have talked on OTF stream he seems to just not be interested in us at this time. Let’s see at the end of January if he shows up and this spring. 

12 hours ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Byron Washington is massive, but he looks like a project that will need to lose some bad weight.  Not highly rated at the moment.  Will be interesting to see if we push for an early commitment or see how other OL targets fall/are leaning.

You think Kyle Flood would pass up an opportunity to recruit a 400 pounder?