The Gun Owner’s thread

BigDHornfan

4 hours ago, Lat22 said:

I like the way they spark when I’m shooting steel after dark. 

They can be nasty.  Seen them up close chew through cars and other fixed cover objects.  Even brake pads and rotors get eaten through and through.  On pigs.  They are easily my favorite.  

11 hours ago, Lat22 said:

So I’m cleaning my DD MK18 upper the other day and I look down and see this on the mat. I thought it might be a shim from the muzzle device but I don’t think that’s it. Any ideas?
386069ffd23f736824c4f27b831e77e9.jpg
868d6fae2f3e921e7f8b64b7291c6ec0.jpg

Internal rim for a QD mount possibly

On 12/4/2020 at 7:45 PM, Speedtrucker said:

Good write up, there is very little recovery outside of dragging them off our land. That’s basically it.

Don’t care where they run to outside of the pond...

Controlled Chaos will be your friend in that case.  They won’t linger / suffer but they’ll run like hell for 100-200 yards and out of your feeding/hunting area if you put one behind the shoulder of a big hog. 

Well, the broken ring has been identified. It was a ring that held our dog’s name tag to his collar. Wife fixed it (that’s the shocking news here) and left the broken ring on my work bench. I was mad for half a second before realizing that I was ecstatic that it hadn’t come from my rifle. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Lat22 said:

Well, the broken ring has been identified. It was a ring that held our dog’s name tag to his collar. Wife fixed it (that’s the shocking news here) and left the broken ring on my work bench. I was mad for half a second before realizing that I was ecstatic that it hadn’t come from my rifle. 

That's funny.....Glad it worked out to be nothing.

Reminds me of that dude who had a quarter stuck to his tire.

45 minutes ago, cabowabo said:
3 hours ago, Lat22 said:

Reminds me of that dude who had a quarter stuck to his tire.

Melded to his tire iirc. Lol 

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, Lat22 said:

LOL, yeah, it's not an IKEA desk.  There should not be extra parts when you assemble/reassemble.  

I knew a guy who loved to pull random parts- O-rings, washers, etc. out of his pocket and slip them on to a work surface right before completion just to get people worked up.

He found it hilarious, but was smart enough to not let it go on too long, or ever walk away without revealing the joke. 

8 minutes ago, Reagan1k said:

I knew a guy who loved to pull random parts- O-rings, washers, etc. out of his pocket and slip them on to a work surface right before completion just to get people worked up.

He found it hilarious, but was smart enough to not let it go on too long, or ever walk away without revealing the joke. 

There's a special place in hell for that dude.

I pulled the back straps out of a hog I shot the other day. I’m always blown away how thick those “plates” are over their shoulders. I can’t imagine a subsonic 300 blackout getting through those unless you’re up close. 

I’m coming to this realization.
I shoot my 300 BO with a can and used Remington’s Hog Hammer rounds with little to no issues. Minimal running.

About 2 years back I switched to Sub X rounds. We can usually hear the thud and accompanying scream when hit. We hunt at night and have had a lot of trouble finding them. Not even buzzards circling the next day.

Might have to give those Lehigh a try.

Quick question for those in the know.  I purchased a few silencers and have waited patiently...until now.  The check was cashed around July 22.  I waited as long as I could stand and called the ATF today.  They were approved on December 7th.  Any idea on how much longer they'll be in jail?

5 minutes ago, Catpfish said:

Quick question for those in the know.  I purchased a few silencers and have waited patiently...until now.  The check was cashed around July 22.  I waited as long as I could stand and called the ATF today.  They were approved on December 7th.  Any idea on how much longer they'll be in jail?

Varies greatly.  I have waited as much as 60 days and as little as 7 days after approval.

5 months from check cash to approval is great.  My second one was 12 months from check cashed to approval.

Edited by cabowabo

Varies greatly.  I have waited as much as 60 days and as little as 7 days after approval.
5 months from check cash to approval is great.  My second one was 12 months from check cashed to approval.

I’m still waiting on my stamp that was approved on 10/12... which I’ve gotta call today about why it’s been over 45days.

My last can that was approved in the early spring took about 15-20 days to arrive at my lgs.

They always say 30 days approx and to contact them after 45 days

Nah I’ve gotta request a cert copy of my stamp now. Pain in my ass

4 hours ago, MotownHorn said:

He did for his first two years in office

So did Clinton... and Biden authored the failed “Assault Weapons Ban” which took nothing off the streets and just made hardware extremely expensive for the law-abiding gun owner. At least that useless fiasco was allowed to expire under W.

Read Biden’s agenda for gun control. Harris isn’t any better either. The term “infringement” means nothing to those assholes, and their ilk have been abusing it for decades.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

56 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

So did Clinton... and Biden authored the failed “Assault Weapons Ban” which took nothing off the streets and just made hardware extremely expensive for the law-abiding gun owner. At least that useless fiasco was allowed to expire under W.

Read Biden’s agenda for gun control. Harris isn’t any better either. The term “infringement” means nothing to those assholes, and their ilk have been abusing it for decades.

And it's all going to be executive orders because "this crisis can't wait for congress to act!"

barf

31 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Can you explain this to me.  Not an AR guy but want to buy one soon.  What is considered an 80% lower?

It is non-functional as a lower, not stamped with a serial number and does not require a background check to buy.  IIRC, with a drill press and some minor milling with a dremmel or lathe you can make it functional.

You can figure out why people buy them based on that.

39 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Can you explain this to me.  Not an AR guy but want to buy one soon.  What is considered an 80% lower?

Is this for shooting, or something you can apply sparkly rhinestones  to? If the former, buy an AK or better yet a Mini-14/30.

But if this is for vajazzling or LARP purposes, just buy an 80% lower and then tell a bunch of people about your in-progress AR  “build,” which is a lot like your girlfriend in Canada (they wouldn’t know her).

Edited by Bozo_Casanova
  • Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Is this for shooting, or something you can apply sparkly rhinestones  to? If the former, buy an AK or a Mini-14/30.

No.  I don't have stupid bro gun shit.  Most everything that has been bought (not handed down) is typically AAA+ grade wood and deep blued, both off the shelf and custom.   Hence the reason I'm not up to speed with AR's.

Shooting for something on the higher end side of things, budget 2-2.5k or so before glass.  Don't gaf about an AK, and I have more than 1 janky ass Ruger mini already.  Looking for a high end 556 and a matching/same class AR10 before it gets too difficult to get them.  Think one time deal that I expect to keep forever, like the rest of my long arms.  Quality and accuracy > cost in this exercise.  

eta: I like my mini, but definitely not up to what I'm looking for. 

Edited by fattyflattie
  • Hook 'Em 1

Is there really such a thing as a high end AR, though? There are obviously expensive ones, but the entire platform is geared towards modularity , loose tolerances, and tbh low manufacturing cost. Not quite AK loose tolerance, though, thus the frequent jamming on suppressed ARs that aren’t cleaned after each outing. 

it’s like you’re trying to find a high performance zero-turn mower.

Edited by Bozo_Casanova

14 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Is there really such a thing as a high end AR, though? There are obviously expensive ones, but the entire platform is geared towards modularity , loose tolerances, and tbh low manufacturing cost. Not quite AK loose tolerance, though, thus the frequent jamming on suppressed ARs that aren’t cleaned after each outing. 

it’s like you’re trying to find a high performance zero-turn mower.

Maybe I was less than clear. Looking more towards Larue, Noveske, LWRC, etc (or a mix match of)  than Palmetto or something off the shelf at Walmart.  I don’t want 5 of them. Just one 15 and one 10, so if they become harder to get (6-months thru 20 years from now) I’ll have one.  

eta - I absolutely believe there is a difference in quality. It may not be linear, but there’s a reason some of those brands can charge what they do. 

Edited by fattyflattie
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1