The Climate thread

Laxtonto

20 minutes ago, troph said:

I'm as doom and gloom as anyone, well not really, but I get shit is changing but I'm not really looking to Texas A&M for my climate science research tbqh. call it bias, don't care.

Ha, how do you feel about one of the leading climate chanage scientists in the world teaches at Texas Tech? 

21 minutes ago, BeardIP said:

I'd rather just intermittent fast and skip a meal than eat chicken sasuage or turkey burgers and save up my consumption to make it worthwhile. In fact, that's what I mostly do with red meat-- I won't eat a steak for example unless it's a bone-in ribeye. Miss me with any other cuts, including filets, regular ribeyes, etc.

Check out some Chinese/Indian recipes. Typical American cuisine's treatment of chicken, lentils, and beans are boring. 

• Hook 'Em 3

6 minutes ago, YChang said:

Ha, how do you feel about one of the leading climate chanage scientists in the world teaches at Texas Tech? 

Tech has a long history of weather / climate research. no prob. and I don't disagree with the premises that it's going to be hotter than satan's balls in the future.

• Hook 'Em 1

Let’s stop beating around the bush and have some people admit that they either don’t understand or don’t give a shit that the continued cultivation of cows (especially), pigs, chickens, and other livestock is decimating our environment. DECIMATING.  

Yeah, I love steak too man. Burgers are good. Chicken wings are a staple!  I get it. BUT. Just take it down a notch. No one has a knife to your throat saying you have to eat tempeh 6 days a week and you have to go to Whole Foods to buy kale to shove in your wife’s pussy before you can fuck it. Though I am open minded. 

My point is “eh, I don’t really want to go to plant based or lab grown meat because it’s weird” is a stupid and fucked up argument. It’s a moral imperative to stop eating that shit all the time. And the alternatives already taste good and are only going to get better. 

Eat up buttercups!  The next step if you don’t is fucking Soylent green. 

Edited by Biff Tannen

6 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

Let’s stop beating around the bush and have some people admit that they either don’t understand or don’t give a shit that the continued cultivation of cows (especially), pigs, chickens, and other livestock is decimating our environment. DECIMATING.  

Yeah, I love steak too man. Burgers are good. Chicken wings are a staple!  I get it. BUT. Just take it down a notch. No one has a knife to your throat saying you have to eat tempeh 6 days a week and you have to go to Whole Foods to buy kale to shove in your wife’s pussy before you can fuck it. Though I am open minded. 

My point is “eh, I don’t really want to go to plant based or lab grown meat because it’s weird” is a stupid and fucked up argument. It’s a moral imperative to stop eating that shit all the time. And the alternatives already taste good and are only going to get better. 

Our use of fossil fuels is the number one problem. If we don’t address that then switching to vegetarianism, which I am never going to do, won’t amount to much. Yes, the livestock issue is a problem. It’s not the main problem. And we’re not doing much to address the main problem.

Jesus, we have a former president, who’s running for president again, who denies that global warming is real and is still chanting “Drill, baby, drill!”

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

I'll drive an electric car, give up riding gas-powered motorcycles, recycle, quit using plastic, etc.  But fuck giving up animal protein.  Ain't. Gonna. Happen. 

It's not about giving it up.  It's about moderation.  The demand for beef specifically is way higher than can be sustainably produced.  It honestly wouldn't take a huge effort to make a dent, just a widespread effort.  Only eat 4 fast food burgers a week instead of 5.  Across the nation that would be a massive drop in demand.  I know I'm kidding myself.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

I'll drive an electric car, give up riding gas-powered motorcycles, recycle, quit using plastic, etc.  But fuck giving up animal protein.  Ain't. Gonna. Happen. 

Username checks out?

I eat a lot less beef than I used to. I eat mostly chicken and pork. Sometimes I’ll go days without eating meat. Not out of a sense of moral responsibility or anything. Just a matter of ease and convenience. I can get by pretty well on fruit and nuts. I eat lots of apples and bananas and snack on peanuts daily. (And haven’t had a cold or anything else since before the pandemic)

But yeah, I’m never giving up meat. I’m just one person. I don’t have kids. (Glad I don’t have to explain to them how their grandparents, aunt, and uncle are on the side of the people who royally fucked their environment…and their schools…) Yeah, I know it’s a little bit of a cop out but I’m making some changes and trying to advocate for more major change, the kind that can make a real difference. I try to avoid big industrial meat products as best as I can. The more local, the better. I’m sure I could be more rigorous about it than I am. But I won’t touch chicken from Tyson or Perdue. 

7 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

1/10th of our environment may be a small price to pay for a medium rare filet mignon. 

21 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

I eat a lot less beef than I used to.  

Not for climate reasons, but I significantly reduced my red meat consumption a couple years ago, and subsequently saw a huge reduction in my overall and bad cholesterol numbers (upping my fiber helped as well). I love a good burger about once a month, and eat other beef dishes here or there. But my main source of animal protein is chicken.

1 hour ago, South Austin said:

Not for climate reasons, but I significantly reduced my red meat consumption a couple years ago, and subsequently saw a huge reduction in my overall and bad cholesterol numbers (upping my fiber helped as well). I love a good burger about once a month, and eat other beef dishes here or there. But my main source of animal protein is chicken.

Same.  I turned 58 last week and the years take their toll.  

Folks, visit a meat market that sells ground goat meat. Not only is goat meat a healthier choice than beef or lamb, and setting aside that folks can raise goat on grassland that reclaims desert, goat burgers are tastier than chicken, turkey, or plant based derivative burgers. 

Add a bit of bacon to the mince. And an egg. Experiment with different spices/flavor profile, but don’t skip on salt and pepper.  Grill on high heat five minutes to a side, then let the burgers rest wrapped in foil for ten minutes, or so. You want the meat to leave the grill slightly pink in the center, and for them to lose that pink color during the rest. While I probably like beef rarer than most, goat is not beef. Goat is better when it is served medium.

Edited by Willfully Horn
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Willfully Horn said:

Folks, visit a meat market that sells ground goat meat. Not only is goat meat a healthier choice than beef or lamb, and setting aside that folks can raise goat on grassland that reclaims desert, goat burgers are tastier than chicken, turkey, or plant based derivative burgers. 

Add a bit of bacon to the mince. And an egg. Experiment with different spices/flavor profile, but don’t skip on salt and pepper. Grill on high heat five minutes to a side, then let the burgers rest wrapped in foil for ten minutes, or so. You want the meat to leave the grill slightly pink in the center, and for them to lose that pink color during the rest. While I probably like beef rarer than most, goat is not beef. Goat is better when it is served medium.

Cabrito asada FTMFW

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Willfully Horn said:

Add a bit of bacon to the mince. And an egg. Experiment with different spices/flavor profile, but don’t skip on salt and pepper.  Grill on high heat five minutes to a side, then let the burgers rest wrapped in foil for ten minutes, or so. You want the meat to leave the grill slightly pink in the center, and for them to lose that pink color during the rest. While I probably like beef rarer than most, goat is not beef. Goat is better when it is served medium.

Pshh.  Sounds like something the Goat Meat Lobby would say.

Have any of y'all considered becoming hunters to supplement your red meat needs?

Hunting and fishing provides us with 95% of our protein.  The only meat we buy regularly is bacon.  The occasional ribeye about once a month.  We live on moose, caribou, grouse, salmon, halibut, ling cod, and rock fish.

I realize that where I live provides us with way more hunting and fishing opportunities than most of you have, but providing for yourself and family is one of the more spiritual aspects of my lifestyle that most people overlook.  The bonding that my wife and I experience during the whole process is immeasurable.  

• Hook 'Em 3

4 minutes ago, mooseoutfront said:

Have any of y'all considered becoming hunters to supplement your red meat needs?

Hunting and fishing provides us with 95% of our protein.  The only meat we buy regularly is bacon.  The occasional ribeye about once a month.  We live on moose, caribou, grouse, salmon, halibut, ling cod, and rock fish.

I realize that where I live provides us with way more hunting and fishing opportunities than most of you have, but providing for yourself and family is one of the more spiritual aspects of my lifestyle that most people overlook.  The bonding that my wife and I experience during the whole process is immeasurable.  

I live in the DFW area and bird hunt but that's about it.  I haven't been deer hunting since my dad died in 2000.  Plus, the only way I like venison is deep-fried backstrap medallions.  I'm pretty sure ranchers would frown on me shooting their cattle. 

37 minutes ago, Willfully Horn said:

I won't say no to a good goat curry

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, mooseoutfront said:

Fishing is complicated, there’s not a fresh water catch at least in the continental 48 that I would consider eating at this point. Even Rocky Mountain trout is laced with high concentrations of PFAS. It’s really demoralizing. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Born and raised in Texas, with a mom who grew up on farm/ranch. That meant meals with meat! 

Grew up having BBQ on many Friday nights, as my young parents loved to chill out at a "BBQ joint" with a jukebox, great BBQ, and good fresh iced tea.

As for Saturdays in the burbs, my das grilled T-Bone Steaks most of the time. Many, my dad loved to grill, chill, have a drink (tea or mixed drink), and smoke his pipe! By the time I was 15 or so, my dad sometimes let me have a mixed drink: usually gin & tonic or a margarita. Depended on good grades!  

Sundays, my mom loved making a Pot Roast that would last for several meals, including roast sandwiches to take to school.

When I went to UT, my meat cravings were satisfied by fajitas at Chuy's by the river and Trudy's North Star, near campus. 

Over the years, I have reduced my red meat consumption dramatically, but it has not been easy. Chicken, seafood. And "Beyond Burgers" has really helped!

But, my brother and I were spoiled by the Texas middle class meat utopia! 

Edited by BevoAbyss

2 hours ago, troph said:

Fishing is complicated, there’s not a fresh water catch at least in the continental 48 that I would consider eating at this point.

Maybe it's time I get a new job. Totally read that as "fisting is complicated..."

• Haha 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1
  • Prepare your anus 2

18 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

great post, and I agree 100%. Livestock is just not sustainable at current levels. I made the switch long ago to fish, chicken and the occasional pork chop / steak, like maybe once a month at most. Its healthier as well. Fish is costly, but I get a nice piece of salmon in daily, and all the good fats that come with it. 

Honestly, covid also got to me in terms of the industrialization of livestock. Its a fucking ticking time bomb for disease. Unreal that we think its ok to treat mother nature with so much disdain and she would never fight back. 

• Hook 'Em 3

You shove an empty pringles can up in there? Mother of god I had no idea.  

btw did someone call their wife “it” up above? 

this world is coming to an end, kale and empty pringles cans up vajayjays. WTF is next?

don’t answer that. 

Edited by troph

3 hours ago, staboner said:

Honestly, covid also got to me in terms of the industrialization of livestock. Its a fucking ticking time bomb for disease. Unreal that we think its ok to treat mother nature with so much disdain and she would never fight back. 

Look into alpha-gal syndrome; it might be her opening salvo.

On 4/25/2024 at 1:14 AM, Biff Tannen said:

No one has a knife to your throat saying you have to eat tempeh 6 days a week and you have to go to Whole Foods to buy kale to shove in your wife’s pussy before you can fuck it.

Topical:

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, mooseoutfront said:

I’ve been thinking about this a lot lately. I shoot but I don’t hunt, because I don’t enjoy taking life. Nevertheless, I’m getting to a point in life where ethically I think I would feel more comfortable doing that than I am with industrial scale meat.

25 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

I’ve been thinking about this a lot lately. I shoot but I don’t hunt, because I don’t enjoy taking life. Nevertheless, I’m getting to a point in life where ethically I think I would feel more comfortable doing that than I am with industrial scale meat.

It would at least bring the emotional cost of eating meat - taking a life - to the forefront.  I don’t particularly enjoy venison but I’ve only had it a few times. I guess raising a cow is possible too but only with land.

I don’t particularly have an issue with killing cattle or pigs they are fully domesticated and only have life due to their food potential for humans. I think the methods of raising and slaughtering are some of the worst evidence regarding the cruelty of humans and for profit motivation though.

• Hook 'Em 1

This is only tangential to the climate issue but The Omnivore’s Dilemma by Michael Pollan is a worthwhile read.

412MjiOz8VL._SL500_.jpg

A couple of the meals address the contrast between “industrial organic” and a more natural, holistic approach to organic farming. (I’m sure I could phrase that better if I had more time.) The final meal is all sourced by hunting and gathering. (The first meal was fast food.)

• Like 1

On 4/25/2024 at 1:14 AM, Biff Tannen said:

I feel attacked! Kidding, but I am one of those who mentally or psychologically can't wrap my head around enjoying plant or lab grown meat and when I've had it (wife buys/cooks it) I choke it down and am saddened by the experience.

I think it's because I look at meals and food from an epicurean perspective and, as a gourmand, enjoy food for the delictability and richness. It's a cultural thing for a lot of people (e.g. Italians, the South, etc.) who appreciate food-- and meals / mealtimes-- as more than just the ingestion of biomaterial to breakdown into chemicals for fuel, but as an experience of the human condition.

If I were one of those who just saw food as fuel and wanted to bodymax, then I would mew between my beyond meat patty and imitation crab meat, I guess. 

BUT, there is a whole 'nother generation being raised almost wholly on vape pens, adderall and electrolyte water in their Stanley's that will lead humanity into the future of weird meatstuffs.

4 minutes ago, BeardIP said:

It's a cultural thing for a lot of people (e.g. Italians

Absolutely.  My wife is 2nd generation Italian-American and she's the reason I appreciate food as much as I do now.  When you go to Italy, they cherish the food and it is grown/raised in sustainable ways.  They use mostly local ingredients and, while they eat meat, it's not the staple of the meal in most instances.

We are talking mainly about an American problem.  Our broad view of food and the food industry is completely fucked compared to many other countries.  It is not sustainable, healthy, or good for society in general.  

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

Absolutely.  My wife is 2nd generation Italian-American and she's the reason I appreciate food as much as I do now.  When you go to Italy, they cherish the food and it is grown/raised in sustainable ways.  They use mostly local ingredients and, while they eat meat, it's not the staple of the meal in most instances.

We are talking mainly about an American problem.  Our broad view of food and the food industry is completely fucked compared to many other countries.  It is not sustainable, healthy, or good for society in general.  

I agree with your thesis, however what you are describing when you say "America's broadview of food and food industry is...." is vague. Is it the reliance on preservatives and fast food and corn syrup? Because...agreed.

On one hand you agree that food is part (and for some a large part) of culture. You reference the Italian culture of foods. But then it seems as if you dismiss the American culture of food (by comparing it unfavorably to the Italian culture you lead with) because it feels like you are failing to accept that the American culture of food (especially in the South) is one where meat is the staple and at the forefront. We must have our BBQ. We must have our bone-in ribeyes. Our beef cheeserburgers. Beef Fajitas. Chorizo tacos. Chicken tamales. Bacon and Sauage and Fried Eggs. It's necessarily different than how Italy does food because it's a different culture.

Now if you are saying that the Italian culture is sustainable and not just in the perspective of sustainability of earth (e.g. mediterrenean diet/health/humans) then I agree that the American culture is problematic, but I don't think wishcasting for it to adopt an Italian view of food, as an example for this conversation, is fruitful or helpful.

I made a short story long here, but the point I'm trying to drive home is: food is a part of culture and culture is acted upon and experienced by and in and around people, and people make up regional populations and so disrupting that will take a lot more than just meeting the bar; it will have to go above and beyond the status quo. Fake meat and inferior substitues will have to not only be "as good" but much, much better to catch on.

In the absence of that, regulation will need to occur to change behavior IMO.

2 hours ago, BeardIP said:

I made a short story long here, but the point I'm trying to drive home is: food is a part of culture and culture is acted upon and experienced by and in and around people, and people make up regional populations and so disrupting that will take a lot more than just meeting the bar; it will have to go above and beyond the status quo. Fake meat and inferior substitues will have to not only be "as good" but much, much better to catch on.

In the absence of that, regulation will need to occur to change behavior IMO.

I think you're right.  And I think because of this, we are fucked.  Not just because of unsustainable food practices, but our unsustainable way of life in general.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Sadly, there is an aspect of meat consumption statistics that nobody seems to want to talk about. People don't want to give up much meat consumption, but they'll want to give up this even less:

image.png.7eb6c53a3931c583aa13f6f11d60d664.png

UCLA Institute of the Environment and Sustainability

We're a pet-crazy nation. I like dogs and cats. The resources going to them and the damage they do is nuts. 

Stop acquiring new pets. When your beloved dog dies. Mourn it. Don't replace it. You can live without a new one just like you can live without a giant pick up truck and 20% of the meat you now consume. 

Or, people can keep doing what they're doing and pass some more consequences the the young. 

It's not a difficult guess about which way the Americans will go. We've been very consistent in our choices.

33 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

Sadly, there is an aspect of meat consumption statistics that nobody seems to want to talk about. People don't want to give up much meat consumption, but they'll want to give up this even less:

We're a pet-crazy nation. I like dogs and cats. The resources going to them and the damage they do is nuts. 

Stop acquiring new pets. When your beloved dog dies. Mourn it. Don't replace it. You can live without a new one just like you can live without a giant pick up truck and 20% of the meat you now consume. 

Or, people can keep doing what they're doing and pass some more consequences the the young. 

It's not a difficult guess about which way the Americans will go. We've been very consistent in our choices.

This is interesting data that I’ve honestly not thought about. However, I would also say that dogs and cats are going to keep breeding even if we “stop replacing them”, as was your suggestion. I think Bob Barker had a much better solution. 

Or  maybe people should stop having kids too. 

Edited by Biff Tannen
Also, dogs and cats are carnivores, whereas humans are omnivores. So not apples to apples.

1 hour ago, RomaVicta said:

I’d rather get rid of all people before giving up my dog. 

• Hook 'Em 3

I love my old dog -- love my young dog, too -- but I'm hoping the older one passes peacefully soon.  She's slowed down to a crawl, is clearly not comfortable, but there is no specific diagnosis the vets can identify.  Such a sweet girl.  I'm feeding her whatever she likes the most at this point, including hamburgers, salmon, cheese, you name it.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I love my old dog -- love my young dog, too -- but I'm hoping the older one passes peacefully soon.  She's slowed down to a crawl, is clearly not comfortable, but there is no specific diagnosis the vets can identify.  Such a sweet girl.  I'm feeding her whatever she likes the most at this point, including hamburgers, salmon, cheese, you name it.

Ok, no need to cross over the dog thread here.  I can only stand so much dust.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, RomaVicta said:

We should start by banning cats. 

• Hook 'Em 1