USMNT 2022

Napoleon

On 3/25/2022 at 8:46 AM, alincoln said:

Really good result.  Greggg got lineup and tactics pretty much spot on although this Mexican side doesn't impress me at all.  

Lots of talk about the Pefok miss which was a tougher chance than it looks at first glance but the more glaring miss was Pulisic's.  He has to put that away.  I kept thinking that Landon or Dempsey would have finished that.  He is a key player for us but no longer THE guy.  

Beat Panama (horrible result for them) and we are in.

This post aged badly. 

• Drool 1

So what pot the US is put into is based on FIFA rankings - not CONCACAF standings. 

We were just behind Mexico in the last ranking. Canada is a ways behind. 

Not sure if we've done enough to jump Mexico or they'll stay ahead. Either way I'm sure we just play CR straight up - although maybe not with our full A team. 

51 minutes ago, ztejas said:

So what pot the US is put into is based on FIFA rankings - not CONCACAF standings. 

We were just behind Mexico in the last ranking. Canada is a ways behind. 

Not sure if we've done enough to jump Mexico or they'll stay ahead. Either way I'm sure we just play CR straight up - although maybe not with our full A team. 

I don't see any justification for ranking Mexico ahead of the US at this point.  It would make no sense.

5 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

Actually - I'm not sure they could. You can't give yellows on VAR, just reds and PKs. The ref missed what should have been a card, but they can't retroactively give that.

Then give him a red. Wasn't there also a handball? 

Or call it in real time and give him a yellow. 

Costa Rica will unfortunately have nothing to lose but it won't matter. 
Does anyone know if 2nd vs. 3rd is material? Because a win in CR basically clinches 2nd.

In their last 31 matches CR has scored 3 goals just once, 2 goals 7 times, and everything else is 1 or 0. It will take an epic shitshow to lose by 6.

Only thing that matters will be our final Fifa ranking.

https://the18.com/en/soccer-news/what-pot-is-usmnt-in-world-cup-draw-2022-explained

26 minutes ago, JerrysJheriCurl said:

Italy is ranked 6 in FIFA… which pot are they in?

Unfortunately for them, they’ve only lost 2 in their last 33 matches.  Really good squad that had a bunch of qualifying draws and lost their best player in the Euro semi-final last year.  

final fifa ranking won't matter

in '14 we were "13th" in the FIFA rankings used for the "draw" but were not in "pot 2"....   we were in the same pot as #31 Australia (ranked 57th), #30 South Korea (ranked 56th), #29 Iran (ranked 49th), #28 Japan (ranked 44th) and #27 Honduras (ranked 34th)

the "pots" are only based on fifa rankings AFTER they get done deciding the 8 group seeds and then parsing the groups by confederation and therefore FIFA rankings don't really matter

"pot 1" are the seeds and the only way we ever get seeded when we're not hosting is 1) if we win the prior world cup or 2) we go undefeated, untied and unscored on in "qualifying" which will no longer matter in 2030 qualification after we host in '26

this world cup draw will be rigged to favor asian and african nations

whatever "pot 2" is will see the US in the same pot as non-seeded "big names"

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Hagbard Celine said:

final fifa ranking won't matter

in '14 we were "13th" in the FIFA rankings used for the "draw" but were not in "pot 2"....   we were in the same pot as #31 Australia (ranked 57th), #30 South Korea (ranked 56th), #29 Iran (ranked 49th), #28 Japan (ranked 44th) and #27 Honduras (ranked 34th)

the "pots" are only based on fifa rankings AFTER they get done deciding the 8 group seeds and then parsing the groups by confederation and therefore FIFA rankings don't really matter

"pot 1" are the seeds and the only way we ever get seeded when we're not hosting is 1) if we win the prior world cup or 2) we go undefeated, untied and unscored on in "qualifying" which will no longer matter in 2030 qualification after we host in '26

this world cup draw will be rigged to favor asian and african nations

whatever "pot 2" is will see the US in the same pot as non-seeded "big names"

They switched to a fully seeded format for Russia. They place teams in pots fully based on seeds, not continental affiliation. The same is true for this year with the intercontinental playoff teams and UEFA Path A winner being in Pot 4. 

• Hook 'Em 1

28 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

They switched to a fully seeded format for Russia. They place teams in pots fully based on seeds, not continental affiliation. The same is true for this year with the intercontinental playoff teams and UEFA Path A winner being in Pot 4. 

…but Russia won’t even be in this World Cup.

👀

GGG said we will be playing to win, I’m sure there will be some rotation but we aren’t playing the B team.   Also, there are only a handful of games from now to Qatar for these guys to play together.   I wanna see Pulisic PEPI Weah up top and Gio as an 8, even if it’s just for a half.   I’d stick with Zim and Miles.  Not sure what to do with the RB/LB

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Ted Lange said:

there are only a handful of games from now to Qatar for these guys to play together.   I wanna see Pulisic PEPI Weah up top and Gio as an 8, even if it’s just for a half.   I’d stick with Zim and Miles.  Not sure what to do with the RB/LB

There are at least 6 games between now and Qatar, may 7 if we schedule a friendly in the days before the tournament. 

F4284B47-98C2-47E0-BFF4-B17BF538C5CF.thumb.jpeg.0bb4d2bbd60c2a85ef0c093f27720c98.jpeg

…but I too would like to see Gio at the #10/#8 and Pulisic-Pepi-Weah up front. 

I think that Zimmerman Long as the CDs with Palmer-Brown coming in for Zimmerman around halftime would be nice. 

Would prefer not to have 7 changes to the squad, but 5 wouldn’t be awful. 

1 hour ago, LurkingHorn said:

I would also like to point out that it's stupid a yellow in the game against the US would disqualify them for the playoff. Seems like FIFA would want the best players out there for that match. 

You act like the yellow card accumulation rules make any sort of sense. They really don't.

CONCACAF is a great example - they have the same rules in the Octagonal as they had in the Hex, despite 4 more games. 2 yellow cards in the round and you miss a game.

Honestly, FIFA should come up with some standardized rule so the application is relatively consistent from tournament to tournament. I've always felt like 2 in a 5 game rolling window (International play only) would be a solid metric. But they don't so everyone has different rules, some great and some terrible.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

You act like the yellow card accumulation rules make any sort of sense. They really don't.

CONCACAF is a great example - they have the same rules in the Octagonal as they had in the Hex, despite 4 more games. 2 yellow cards in the round and you miss a game.

Honestly, FIFA should come up with some standardized rule so the application is relatively consistent from tournament to tournament. I've always felt like 2 in a 5 game rolling window (International play only) would be a solid metric. But they don't so everyone has different rules, some great and some terrible.

It's really fucking stupid. Especially with how physical CONCACAF is and the wildly inconsistent reffing. 

For example, you can accumulate TEN yellows in the PL before serving a 2 game suspension. 

• Like 1

Actually their rules are both better (more yellow accumulation in a larger competition) and dumber arbitrary dates that expand the yellows you accumulate.

• An accumulation of 5 yellow cards results in a one match suspension.
  • An accumulation of 10 yellow cards results in a two match suspension.
  • An accumulation of 15 yellow cards results in a three match suspension.

However, there is a concept of cut-off dates for yellow cards.

• The five yellow card count is “reset” on 31st December. It means a player receiving their fifth yellow card of the season on January 1 or later will not receive a ban.
  • The ten yellow card count is “reset” on second Sunday in April. It means a player receiving their eleventh yellow card of the season after the second Sunday of April will not receive any ban.

IE yellow card 5 isn't as bad Jan 1 as it would be Dec 31. 

And when you realize that games get moved due to other competitions, etc - it really makes it dumb because games can be moved out of suspension windows and then you have some odd fairness things.

I get the idea of yellow card accumulation, but they haven't implemented it in any sort of fair or reasonable way.

• Hook 'Em 1

Deadspin has been awful for years now. Coverage for the NT in general is not good and seems to attract a lot of bottom of the barrel sports writers - but that's especially bad. I generally just ignore it - but since you sort of brought it up - someone for CBS posted match ratings for Panama and gave Zimmerman a 7. There's always pieces every qualifying window where you're like, what the fuck are you talking about? 

Edited by ztejas
  • Hook 'Em 1

This is only directed at  @Captain Ron, who said I was a moron and dismissed me for suggesting el tri was losing popularity in mexico. This tweet is from yesterday, 4K likes and over 1k responses answering it. “When did you lose your passion & pride for the mexican national team” 

Sidenote: reading through the comments I had no idea the uniforms were hated that much. 

• Like 1