2024 Presidential Election What ifs and speculation

Snake Diggity

I haven’t seen any threads to discuss 2024 and given how consequential it projects to be I don’t think it’s too early.  

Trump is the current odds-on favorite.  Biden is the favorite to get the Dem nom (duh) followed by Kamala (duh).

Other GOP candidates: DeSantis, Haley, Pence, Stefanik

Other Dem candidates: Buttigieg, Michelle Obama

None of those candidates are worth a fuck to me.  I am hoping one of these 5 candidates somehow miraculously enters the mix: Charlie Baker, Andy Beshear, Larry Hogan, Roy Cooper, Chris Sununu.  Not that I’m anywhere near perfectly aligned with any of those guys ideologically, but I think one of those guys might be the right person for this moment, and they all have the right credentials.  Other current non-candidates I think would be interesting are Gina Raimondo and Mark Cuban.  

2 dark horse GOP players I would be happy to see challenge Trump are Ben Sasse and Dan Crenshaw.

Of the candidates likely to actually run, I am hoping to see Haley get the GOP nomination to run against Biden.  Neither of those is a very good candidate but in that scenario I think the odds of civil war drop dramatically.  Another Biden vs Trump election is an utter catastrophe in the making imho.

Any thoughts on outside the box candidates you’d like to see?  Predictions on who will win?

9 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Who are these people.

Baker is the GOP Governor of Massachusetts.  Hogan is the GOP Gov of Maryland.  Sununu is the GOP Governor of NH.  Cooper is the Dem governor of NC.  Beshear is the Dem governor of Kentucky.

Edited by Snake Diggity

It will be Trump v. Biden.

Between how fucking broken-brained we are, and Republican legislatures stacking the deck (and functionally giving the party veto power over votes from areas they don't approve of), it's a gimme -- Trump wins in 2024.

Y'all can keep talking about this, but you know those are the candidates, and you know Trump will win, so what's the point of further discussion?

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

Between how fucking broken-brained we are, and Republican legislatures stacking the deck (and functionally giving the party veto power over votes from areas they don't approve of), it's a gimme -- Trump wins in 2024.

Y'all can keep talking about this, but you know those are the candidates, and you know Trump will win, so what's the point of further discussion?

Oddsmakers have it as anything but a forgone conclusion.  Trump lost the last election.  And, Trump is old, so he could die before 2024.

4 minutes ago, Snake Diggity said:

Oddsmakers have it as anything but a forgone conclusion.  Trump lost the last election.  And, Trump is old, so he could die before 2024.

Either Trump or Biden dying/suffering a debilitating illness are literally the only things that can change my predicted outcome.

3 minutes ago, StassneyHorn said:

Creating a topic 3 years in advance is a Recruiting forum move reserved for pedants that want to talk about shit that won’t matter

This doesn’t seem like a very good justification for deleting a thread.  Bumping it with those kinds of comments seems really counterproductive.

Just now, 'stache said:

Dead Trump would probably get more write-in votes than living Trump would get regular votes. I'm only half kidding. A corpse would have stronger leadership skills than any Republican lawmaker these days.

i would gladly accept a president trump if it meant trump was dead in 2024. wonder how long it would take for his vp to assume power. a long time probably. 

• Haha 1

• immamac changed the title to 2024 Presidential Election What ifs and speculation
24 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

This is correct, assuming neither are dead by then.

I've seen people on this board repeatedly say that DoTArd won't run because __________________________ (fill in reason of your choice here). He will run, and here is why:

His narcissism won't allow him not to.

And he will win the nomination.

I'm not as convinced he will win the general as the ledge sitters, but I think the possibility is there, which scares the shit out of me.

8 minutes ago, Snake Diggity said:

This doesn’t seem like a very good justification for deleting a thread.  Bumping it with those kinds of comments seems really counterproductive.

It is. Should’ve just made a Republican primary thread as somebody who spent 40 years in government like Biden is gonna wake and say you know what, I only want to be a one term president

11 minutes ago, High Plains Drifter said:

This is correct, assuming neither are dead by then.

I've seen people on this board repeatedly say that DoTArd won't run because __________________________ (fill in reason of your choice here). He will run, and here is why:

His narcissism won't allow him not to.

And he will win the nomination.

I'm not as convinced he will win the general as the ledge sitters, but I think the possibility is there, which scares the shit out of me.

I don't think he even cares if he wins, the grift might be stronger pushing "the big lie" and he doesn't have to do all that work that the advisors kept bugging him about. He'll run for that reason alone, knowing he can get the nomination, and lose the general again to start all over with the fundraising lawsuits.

10 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

she would crush trump 

I do not agree.  She would likely make him look really bad in debates but she would almost certainly lose a portion of the electorate who pushed Biden over the top.

Sadly, I think Biden is the only democratic candidate who has been widely assumed to run who has a chance to beat Trump.  I do think someone like Beshear or Cooper could beat Trump but I think they would have a very difficult time getting the nomination.  If Mark Cuban ran as a Democrat I think he would destroy Trump.  Sherrod Brown would have a good shot at beating Trump too.

Edited by Snake Diggity
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

Pompeo is running. He has been laying plans for this for the last four years. He is not going to give that up now.

I pulled those names from a google search of current odds.  I agree Pompeo plans to run but for now the oddsmakers don’t seem to think very much of his chances.

Just now, Mrs Whiggins said:

Pompeo is running. He has been laying plans for this for the last four years. He is not going to give that up now.

If Trump is running, he is out.  It's that simple.  If Trump is running, then no other Republican's campaign, ALL of which will be some semblance of "look how Trumpy I am" will even get off the launch pad.

It's like Diane Lane running for office and a bunch of dudes in red wigs with a pitch of "look how much this wig makes me look like Diane Lane" are her competition.  It's not even a race.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Trump wins the whole thing in a landslide. We desperately need an age cap on the presidency. Can’t be older than 65 when you take office. To give you an idea of how old these two fucks are, that cap would’ve even eliminated Trump back in 2016. 

I think it should be 70 but I agree, it’s crazy how the field is dominated by old geezers.  The risk a candidate that old injects into the presidency (between potential for dementia/incapacity or death) is highly under considered.

1 hour ago, henrygandorf said:

trump will be the candidate. biden is the only dem who can beat him. therefore, that is your matchup. 

not sure there’s ever been a less compelling leadup. 

8 minutes ago, Snake Diggity said:

I do not agree.  She would likely make him look really bad in debates but she would almost certainly lose a portion of the electorate who pushed Biden over the top.

Sadly, I think Biden is the only democratic candidate who has been widely assumed to run who has a chance to beat Trump.  I do think someone like Beshear or Cooper could beat Trump but I think they would have a very difficult time getting the nomination.  If Mark Cuban ran as a Democrat I think he would destroy Trump.  Sherrod Brown would have a good shot at beating Trump too.

I strongly disagreed with that premise prior to the 2020 election, and I still do. Biden was about my least favorite candidate out of the group for a variety of reasons, but the power brokers in the party obviously felt differently, so the message was created. Trump is a fucking shitstain, and a large percentage of the population acknowledges that (and some even still vote for him). I'm not specifically recommending Mark Kelly because I have no idea if he has any interest, but somebody like a Mark Kelly would be a viable option. Trump will still throw shit around like a toddler, but will look ridiculous in doing so.

But I'm also still of the mind that says Trump is less than 50% to run. He's just gonna grift and play kingmaker when its all said and done. Nobody will drive Dem voting like Trump will. I think the GOP path is easier if Trump doesnt run.  Hell, he can still basically run the country as kingmaker without actually having to be president. Just get one of his toadies in power, and focus on grifting money. 

I don't know who the candidates will be, but I don't think Trump will win the nomination. I think he'll run, because his ego won't let him not run.  He's had the longest 15 minutes in history (it's seemed even longer) but I think they are finally up.

25 minutes ago, Snake Diggity said:

I pulled those names from a google search of current odds.  I agree Pompeo plans to run but for now the oddsmakers don’t seem to think very much of his chances.

He's got support where he needs it, IMO. But your point is fair at this stage of the game.

24 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

If Trump is running, he is out.  It's that simple.  If Trump is running, then no other Republican's campaign, ALL of which will be some semblance of "look how Trumpy I am" will even get off the launch pad.

It's like Diane Lane running for office and a bunch of dudes in red wigs with a pitch of "look how much this wig makes me look like Diane Lane" are her competition.  It's not even a race.

Trump changes everything, no doubt.

Hardest thing for Pompeo now is that he is not in office as DeSantis is and that can be good or bad depending on the event in question.

1 hour ago, 'stache said:

and lose the general again to start all over with the fundraising lawsuits.

This is highly likely, in my opinion, and will actually be somewhat hilarious watching the rubes fork over their last remaining funds for the exact same grift they have already fallen for.  Let's try it without the coup this time though.