Dallas Cowboys 2022 Offseason Thread -- Every Time Jerrah Talks, an Angel Sheds Their Wings

Patrick Bateman

9 minutes ago, DougO said:

Raiders cut their 2021 first round (17) pick OT Alex Leatherwood. 

Raiders gonna Raider. 

It's really shocking that the Raiders are expected to be in the running for the playoffs given their recent history with 1st round picks.

First round LT that lasts 1 season is a hell of a bust.  He apparently couldn't even play guard or right tackle.

He was a reach but still projected low 1 early 2. Started 41 games at Bama at LT. Has long arms and speed. He must have shown Josh a whole lot of nuthin to just cut him. You’d think just about anyone would give up a 5 or 6 to kick his tires unless his film was that horrible.

18 minutes ago, Texzilla58 said:

He was a reach but still projected low 1 early 2. Started 41 games at Bama at LT. Has long arms and speed. He must have shown Josh a whole lot of nuthin to just cut him. You’d think just about anyone would give up a 5 or 6 to kick his tires unless his film was that horrible.

Or there is possibly some serious off field issue.

16 hours ago, Dr Fear said:

It's really shocking that the Raiders are expected to be in the running for the playoffs given their recent history with 1st round picks.

Who would have ever thought that Mike Mayock and Jon Gruden would be shitty talent evaluators. 

Oh, everyone? Ok then.

4 hours ago, Dennis Taylor said:

image.thumb.png.d155d0f9a7677c706ebdea6073a43492.png

200w.gif

In this case not really. No one is going to sign Maher so they'll easily be able to get him back. And even if someone did it wouldn't be a drop much at all to go back to the other guy they cut. 

The open spots allow them to protect other guys who would get claimed while they get their injured people on the 53 and IR. 

18 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

In this case not really. No one is going to sign Maher so they'll easily be able to get him back. And even if someone did it wouldn't be a drop much at all to go back to the other guy they cut. 

The open spots allow them to protect other guys who would get claimed while they get their injured people on the 53 and IR. 

You're right, I'm sure then Jones boys know exactly what they are doing! 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

Some folks, including a bunch of media dudes, need to learn how the 53 is built and the rules of IR. To be on IR with a chance to return you have to be on a 53. Otherwise you’re out. So Tyron is on the 53, cut Maher, put Tyron on IR, resign Maher. Every team does it.

Thanks for the explanation.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

Some folks, including a bunch of media dudes, need to learn how the 53 is built and the rules of IR. To be on IR with a chance to return you have to be on a 53. Otherwise you’re out. So Tyron is on the 53, cut Maher, put Tyron on IR, resign Maher. Every team does it.

Some of the technicalities concerning managing the 53 man roster have changed in the fallout of COVID. One such example is the allowance of veterans on the practice sqad and allowing guys to go back and forth from the PS to the 53-man roster multiple times before a decision has to be made. I'm not sure if your IR example is something that existed prior to recent changes or if it's new, but there have a number of changes over the last 3 seasons.

Edited by Catdaddyhorn

1 hour ago, 'stache said:

So is Maher going to be on the roster for the first game? I mean somebody has to go out there to kick even if we know it’s going to miss half the time.

They have 11 defensive linemen on the 53 and I think only 23 offensive players.

That tells me they're working the phones to get a trade in for probably a couple of offensive players. We'll see how that works out

24 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

This team and management doesn't want to be champions..... and they don't know how.

An under discussed aspect of Stephen seizing more and more control of the Cowboys is he seems to be cheap as fuck.  Prior to Dak signing his new contract and that year under the franchise tag the Cowboys spent among the lowest in the league in payroll over a 2 or 3 season period. And now after a 1 or 2 year hiatus from being amongst the lowest level payrolls in the league they are right back to being near the bottom again. I'm certain someone could work up a plausible defense using Romo's contract still being on the books during Dak's first few years and other extenuating circumstances to explain away the lower tier payroll, but it's still something I'd pay attention to in the future while Stephen is running things.  

Edited by Catdaddyhorn
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

An under discussed aspect of Stephen seizing more and more control of the Cowboys is he seems to be cheap as fuck.  Prior to Dak signing his new contract and that year under the franchise tag the Cowboys spent among the lowest in the league in payroll over a 2 or 3 season period. And now after a 1 or 2 year hiatus from being amongst the lowest level payrolls in the league they are right back to being near the bottom again. I'm certain someone could work up a plausible defense using Romo's contract still being on the books during Dak's first few years and other extenuating circumstances to explain away the lower tier payroll, but it's still something I'd pay attention to in the future while Stephen is running things.  

This front office is so desperate to overpay for their own so they can pat themselves on the back and tell everyone about all their homegrown talent. That is the only time they won't be cheap. When it comes to good free agents who are proven, they low ball every one of them. And then claim they wanted too much money when all they were wanting was market rate. We are non existent in free agency. It would be one thing if we drafted pretty well and could count on our own guys. But we have way too many misses. 

This offseason is 2018 all over again. Dez walked and we did nothing to replace him. I believe Frederick was hurt for that whole year and his career was in danger. Same for Tyron this year. Most likely will be done for the year and his career might be done (at least here it should be). We let Cooper be traded for peanuts. The guy we went all in on is coming off major surgery and he's not that special to begin with. Every team has a Gallup and it's easy to find them in the draft. There is a plethora of WRs who does what he does. We also have did zero to prepare for life beyond Tyron. 

Even as constructed, I think we are better than Wash and NY. I am not sure we are better than the Eagles currently. Too many question marks this offseason. Dak is behind some makeshift bullshit line. A RB behind him who has no burst or speed anymore and his vision is declining. They won't give his backup a legit look because they are so desperate to get Zeke going because they overpaid for him. You take Cooper and Ced Wilson away and replace them with nada. But he will get the whole blame for this offensive woes. You have small windows to hit on in this league unless you were the Pats. We never take advantage. 

• Like 2

On 9/3/2022 at 3:55 PM, Vic Mackey said:

This front office is so desperate to overpay for their own so they can pat themselves on the back and tell everyone about all their homegrown talent. That is the only time they won't be cheap. When it comes to good free agents who are proven, they low ball every one of them. And then claim they wanted too much money when all they were wanting was market rate. We are non existent in free agency. It would be one thing if we drafted pretty well and could count on our own guys. But we have way too many misses. 

This offseason is 2018 all over again. Dez walked and we did nothing to replace him. I believe Frederick was hurt for that whole year and his career was in danger. Same for Tyron this year. Most likely will be done for the year and his career might be done (at least here it should be). We let Cooper be traded for peanuts. The guy we went all in on is coming off major surgery and he's not that special to begin with. Every team has a Gallup and it's easy to find them in the draft. There is a plethora of WRs who does what he does. We also have did zero to prepare for life beyond Tyron. 

Even as constructed, I think we are better than Wash and NY. I am not sure we are better than the Eagles currently. Too many question marks this offseason. Dak is behind some makeshift bullshit line. A RB behind him who has no burst or speed anymore and his vision is declining. They won't give his backup a legit look because they are so desperate to get Zeke going because they overpaid for him. You take Cooper and Ced Wilson away and replace them with nada. But he will get the whole blame for this offensive woes. You have small windows to hit on in this league unless you were the Pats. We never take advantage. 

With $22MM in cap space, I’d be trying to move some of Dak or Tyron’s future hit into this season. 

• Hook 'Em 1