Dallas Cowboys 2022 Offseason Thread -- Every Time Jerrah Talks, an Angel Sheds Their Wings

Patrick Bateman

Need to hope the defense stays healthy. Hopefully we can be a good defensive and ok offensive team. Would be nice if JJ would go out and get a real tackle

Unless someone gets waived or released going to 53 the available free agent veterans are basically dogshit. Eric Fisher is out there and grades horrible. I’m sure they’ll bring in a couple of no names and see how they do. They have zero trade bait to use for a trade.

They also have some other tough decisions. I would cut Joseph and keep an extra one of these rookies that have played well. Do they keep 4 RBs? Malik Davis ran strong, and will likely not clear waivers to go to the practice squad. Cut Dowdle? Keep 4 TEs?

14 hours ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Grier just won the backup QB role tonight. Unless our staff has the stupid 

I'm guessing Rush already has the job and don't want to risk losing the backup, because they're going to need him. But I wouldn't be surprised if Grier makes the roster as well, and if not they would try to keep him on the PS.

I'm guessing Rush already has the job and don't want to risk losing the backup, because they're going to need him. But I wouldn't be surprised if Grier makes the roster as well, and if not they would try to keep him on the PS.

Will be hard to stash Grier. Same issue colts have with Sam. They’ll get picked up.

15 hours ago, Hermanator said:

Zeke's going to look good for however long it takes for his broken down RB self to get a nagging injury after which we'll be tortured with watching him limp ahead for 2.1 ypc while Pollard watches from the bench. 

zeke’s the heart and soul of the team. it all starts and stops with zeke.  surprised you don’t know that. 

zeke’s the heart and soul of the team. it all starts and stops with zeke.  surprised you don’t know that. 

It’s about time to speculate on what stupid contract Jerry saddles the team with if Zeke gets cut next year. I’m thinking a 6 yr big contract for Tyron Smith, coming back from having his knee ripped off his leg.

6 minutes ago, Texzilla58 said:

It’s about time to speculate on what stupid contract Jerry saddles the team with if Zeke gets cut next year. I’m thinking a 6 yr big contract for Tyron Smith, coming back from having his knee ripped off his leg.

Diggs deal is gonna be pretty stout but it'll probably be a multi-year Anthony Brown deal for top 10 money or paying Schultz 17m per......

• Rage+1 1

I don't understand why every article I read right now is like "ugghhhhhhhhh some of these cuts are so HARD!!".

No they're not. This is bottom of the roster filler. If a dude is even in this conversation, cutting him isn't a big deal. The decision to cut Rico Dowdle versus Malik Davis is not going to make a shit to any NFL team's season.

Blah, blah, blah...... Now we don't have a LG or RT worth a shit and a rookie trying to learn LT at the pro level on the job.  
Apparently here is our other plan of attack.
  [/url] And..... So, Cowboys.....    
And the mouth breathers will just blame Dak for the shitty season. Hell, we will see how long he even lasts out there. Might want to have an OL worth a damn after you gave your QB a big contract.

2 hours ago, tokamak said:

I don't understand why every article I read right now is like "ugghhhhhhhhh some of these cuts are so HARD!!".

No they're not. This is bottom of the roster filler. If a dude is even in this conversation, cutting him isn't a big deal. The decision to cut Rico Dowdle versus Malik Davis is not going to make a shit to any NFL team's season.

True. We often get attached to certain underdog types that show something early. This particular class in particular just seems like a bunch of guys, and most of the ones most liked will likely end up on the practice squad. It's just that way in today's NFL. And with the Cowboys, it's all going to amount to about the same thing.

I'm fairly indifferent between Rush and Grier. Grier certainly has better tools, but Rush has proven he can win games, can run a team, comfortable in the offense and doesn't make a ton of gaffs for a backup. Grier might have some upside, and the running ability is a plus, so he could be good backup material. I just don't get all the Rush hate. He's a backup, he's OK in that role, probably better than half the backups currently in the league, or about in the middle. I would like to keep both of them, both cheap at about the same salary. I like having 3 qbs on the roster, but it's tough when you have so many special teams guys and situational subs.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, DougO said:

Seems like a bit of a risk to cut both at once. Maybe a trade in the works that includes a qb body?

Like I said earlier, just playing all-time defense seems even more viable now.

With Rush not going through waivers, not really much chance of losing him. I doubt teams are chomping at the bit to sign him, and it does allow them to explore the waiver wire themselves. They probably talked with rush beforehand. 

• Like 2

Is Jason Peters completely broken down? His 2021 with a bad line in Chicago wasn't horrible. He was still serviceable there. He said before camps started that he still wants to play a year and has done his usual routine of preparing for a season. 

Wouldn't it make sense to bring him in for a tryout then if he looks decent give him 1 for 9 or something like that? Throwing Tyler to the wolves at LT is straight irresponsible and could stunt the kid's development. Worst case scenario could turn him into another Chaz Green

2 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

Is Jason Peters completely broken down? His 2021 with a bad line in Chicago wasn't horrible. He was still serviceable there. He said before camps started that he still wants to play a year and has done his usual routine of preparing for a season. 

Wouldn't it make sense to bring him in for a tryout then if he looks decent give him 1 for 9 or something like that? Throwing Tyler to the wolves at LT is straight irresponsible and could stunt the kid's development. Worst case scenario could turn him into another Chaz Green

Pretty much. It’s been reported that the Cowboys felt like Tyler Smith was a couple years away from being an NFL tackle when they drafted him - that was all part of the plan. So yeah they are lying through their teeth with the “future is now” bullshit this week.

I think it’s possible they’ve got something in the works and they’re just saying Smith is the guy right now so they don’t tip their hand. That’s giving them credit when they’ve done nothing to deserve any, though. 

1 hour ago, DougO said:

Seems like a bit of a risk to cut both at once. Maybe a trade in the works that includes a qb body?

Like I said earlier, just playing all-time defense seems even more viable now.

Why?  They low key suck.  Who cares, maybe Grier turns into something but nobody would cry any tears if Cooper Rush got scooped up.  Just pick up a Josh Johnson.

35 minutes ago, Texzilla58 said:

Rush is cut to make a spot for a player going to IR. He’ll be back, and Grier will be the PS guy unless he gets picked. Then they probably go denucci on PS or find another guy to pick up.

Malik got waived. Probably back on PS.

6 year MLB on PS?  Maybe..... if they don't like their numbers on LB and expect him up soon, but doubtful.  He may have to find a home somewhere else.  I know they want to keep McKeown, a QB and one or two of the WRs on the PS.  Probably a DL or two.

1 hour ago, tokamak said:

Pretty much. It’s been reported that the Cowboys felt like Tyler Smith was a couple years away from being an NFL tackle when they drafted him - that was all part of the plan. So yeah they are lying through their teeth with the “future is now” bullshit this week.

I think it’s possible they’ve got something in the works and they’re just saying Smith is the guy right now so they don’t tip their hand. That’s giving them credit when they’ve done nothing to deserve any, though. 

This has been the going theory of Bobby Belt and Broaddus.  They felt like they'd get through the cuts to 53 and then work on talking to Peters or someone of that nature, or scour the waiver wire, or both.  

6 year MLB on PS?  Maybe..... if they don't like their numbers on LB and expect him up soon, but doubtful.  He may have to find a home somewhere else.  I know they want to keep McKeown, a QB and one or two of the WRs on the PS.  Probably a DL or two.

Which LB on ps? I was talking RB Malik Davis. He’ll go to ps.