Dallas Cowboys 2022 Offseason Thread -- Every Time Jerrah Talks, an Angel Sheds Their Wings

Patrick Bateman

None of the other 31 teams want to keep up with the Joneses. If they want to win they do the opposite. How they would never bring in a free agent here is just ridiculous knowing the history of injury. At least we have plenty of cap space. These dipshits came out and said they weren’t going to do things that made the Rams successful (paying money for quality FA and drafting later and developing players so here we are.) maybe they can get isiah Wynn in a trade with the Pats but we will have to give up stuff. Gawd I hate this trailer park tornado bait family!!!! 

AB727A66-235B-4B62-A831-059C75BDE938.jpeg

2B4EAEF2-B318-44E5-8C4A-3DAF55592E38.gif

2AB650FC-5593-4B27-AEAF-F8C6F41435AC.gif

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Hate said:

Why even attempt to count on him for even half a season anymore.  They need to cut him next year and move on.  It's a shame because he could have been one of the all time greats, but he can't stay healthy. 

You have $17MM under the cap right now.

This O Line has struggled since Frederick got sick. But it really took a dive when Fat Mike showed up and brought in fucktard Joe Philbin as a line coach. He’s a theorist that likes schemes fit for ballerinas, and we have road graters. He played football one year at some tiny college; I want line coaches that were solid linemen at the pro level.

We do this every year. Underdeveloped backups. Not enough depth as they want to carry 8 instead of 10/11. So they were
playing McGovern at center again. Why have they neglected this puzzle piece since Frederick?

Here’s a 4-13 season coming up. It’s going to be very ugly.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Wally Pryor said:

Avulsion fracture per Ian Rappaport. Hamstring tendon that sits at the back of the knee pulled off. Surgery.

Doubtful you'll see Smith this season.

He’s done. Dallas should be negotiating an injury settlement and releasing him.

Edited by lilMAC25
  • Like 1

This is a catastrophe.
I have a visceral hatred for this trailer park family burying this franchise into the ground. WTF were dumb and dumber doing all offseason. Letting Collins go was idiotic considering Tyron is a damn dinosaur at this point. 
Yep. They havw known for years that he can't be counted on yet they did nothing to find his replacement.

This has to be one of the worst collective off-seasons I can remember. Did nothing to sew up the kicking position. So desperate that we have Maher as our top guy. Got rid of our best WR for nothing. Re-sign Gallup to a long term deal coming off major surgery. Did nothing to address this falling apart OL. But this is what you get when the carnival hillbilly family is in charge
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, markstanco said:

In this division 8 wins will be had even if 5 or 6 starters go down. 

People keep saying that, yet, the worm has to turn at some point and I think all teams will be MUCH improved. I think we go 8-9 / 9-8 without Tyron, and still don’t win the division. 

15 minutes ago, Porterhouse said:

People keep saying that, yet, the worm has to turn at some point and I think all teams will be MUCH improved. I think we go 8-9 / 9-8 without Tyron, and still don’t win the division. 

People say it because it is true.  I looked at vegas odds on o/u a few weeks ago and the rest of the division is crap.  I think Philly was second best at 6.5 or so. 

21 minutes ago, markstanco said:

People say it because it is true.  I looked at vegas odds on o/u a few weeks ago and the rest of the division is crap.  I think Philly was second best at 6.5 or so. 

Sure it’s been true for years since the Giants have sucked post 2012, outside of Philly surprise. But there are surprise teams every year and the East is due. 

The Athletic on options to replace him:

Spoiler

While trying to block linebacker Leighton Vander Esch during a team drill period at Wednesday’s practice inside the Ford Center, Cowboys left tackle Tyron Smith went to the ground and immediately grabbed his left leg in obvious pain.

Smith then walked to the locker room with members of the team’s medical staff and did not return to practice. He left the practice facility under his own power and did not appear to have difficulty walking. But further medical testing showed that the eight-time Pro Bowler suffered a torn left hamstring that could cause him to miss multiple months, ESPN reported late Wednesday night.

Here’s video of Tyron Smith’s injury during today’s practice. He walked out of the practice facility about an hour ago under his own power and didn’t appear to have much of a limppic.twitter.com/ODyA3CDFla

— Jon Machota (@jonmachota) August 25, 2022

The 31-year-old was expected to be the team’s starting left tackle for the 12th consecutive season. The Cowboys are now likely in need of help at the position.

One of Dallas’ biggest offseason moves was deciding to part ways with veteran right tackle La’el Collins. He was released in March with three years remaining on his contract. The move opened up $10 million in cap space. The Cincinnati Bengals then signed Collins, 29, to a three-year, $21 million contract.

The Cowboys’ plan was to go younger at the position, meaning third-year tackle Terence Steele, who already has 27 NFL starts, would officially be the starter at right tackle. The valuable backup swing tackle role would then likely come down to Josh Ball, a fourth-round pick in 2020, and Matt Waletzko, a fifth-round pick this year. Ball has been filling that role in the preseason as Waletzko has missed most of training camp with a shoulder injury. The Cowboys also have Aviante Collins, an undrafted player in 2017 who has spent time with the Minnesota Vikings and Pittsburgh Steelers. He has played in five NFL games.

“I think Josh Ball is growing each week,” Cowboys coach Mike McCarthy said Wednesday. “He’s a great example of someone who just needs the reps. I think he’s benefited not only from the joint practices but the high quality of reps he’s had in the first two preseason games. (Aviante Collins) has done a heck of a job, too. Those guys have been out there playing. That’s why it’s good to get Matt out there. Young guys that are growing.”

But can the Cowboys afford to elevate a young player to such a valuable position until Smith is able to return? It was somewhat surprising that Dallas didn’t add a veteran swing tackle to the mix in the offseason, something it has done in the past with players like Ty Nsekhe (2021), Cameron Erving (2020), Cameron Fleming (2019 and 2018) and Byron Bell (2017).

After all, the Cowboys had to know there was a strong possibility they were going to be without Smith at some point this season. The 2010s All-Decade team member has missed at least three games in each of the past six seasons. Smith missed six games last year because of multiple ankle injuries. He missed 14 games in 2020 because of a neck injury.

Dallas drafted Tyler Smith with the 24th overall pick this year, hoping that he would eventually be Tyron Smith’s successor. Tyler Smith received reps at left tackle during rookie minicamp and organized team activities, but he has been focused on playing left guard during training camp and the preseason. He is also dealing with an ankle injury that has kept him out of the last two practices.

Cowboys owner and general manager Jerry Jones said Wednesday that he’s not concerned about the rookie’s ankle issue.

“Not at all,” Jones said. “To the extent he is not getting reps out there, that is the obvious (issue). But not as far as his availability (for the season opener). It’s a minor sprain. But enough to keep him out.”

Tyler Smith played tackle in college, but is he ready to protect Dak Prescott’s blindside immediately? Some will suggest moving All-Pro right guard Zack Martin out to tackle, a position he could play, but it’s highly unlikely. Martin, 31, was a standout left tackle at Notre Dame but he hasn’t played the position in the NFL. The Cowboys would prefer to keep Martin and Steele on the right side.

Dallas could potentially work a trade with another team for a veteran tackle. For example, New England’s Isaiah Wynn, a 2018 first-round pick, has had his name connected to trade speculation. He has started 25 games over the previous two seasons and is playing under the final year of his rookie contract. The Cowboys could also wait to see who becomes available as NFL teams have to trim their rosters from 80 to 53 by next Tuesday at 3 p.m. CT.

And then there is free agency. The Cowboys have the third-most salary cap space in the NFL at $21.5 million, according to OverTheCap.com.

Here are the top free-agent offensive tackles who have played at least some left tackle during their NFL careers.

Eric Fisher. The first overall pick in the 2013 draft made the Pro Bowl in 2018 and 2020. He tore his Achilles during the 2020 playoffs while with the Kansas City Chiefs, causing him to miss the Super Bowl. The 31-year-old was released after the season, his eighth with the Chiefs. He then signed with the Indianapolis Colts last season for one year, $8.3 million. Fisher started 15 games in 2021. He’s the consensus best option on the free agency market. The Cowboys could sign him to a one-year deal, keep Tyler Smith at left guard and have quality depth at the position when Tyron Smith returns.

Nate Solder. Tyron Smith was the first offensive tackle drafted in 2011 (ninth overall) and Solder was the second (17th overall). After spending the first seven years of his career in New England, Solder signed with the New York Giants in 2015. He then signed a four-year, $62 million deal with the Giants in 2018. The 34-year-old opted out of the 2020 season due to the COVID-19 pandemic, but he started 16 games during each of the 2017, 2018, 2019 and 2021 seasons.

Daryl Williams. The fourth-round pick in 2015 has played mostly right tackle during his NFL career, but he played some left tackle in 2019. Williams, who turns 30 next week, started every game over the past two seasons for the Buffalo Bills. He signed a three-year, $24 million extension with Buffalo last year but was released in March, clearing $6.3 million in salary-cap space.

Jason Peters. There was a time when Peters was one of the NFL’s top players. He was named to the 2010s All-Decade team as he made nine Pro Bowls from 2007 to 2016 as a member of the Bills and Philadelphia Eagles. The 40-year-old played for the Chicago Bears last season, starting 15 games at left tackle. His contract was for one year, $1.75 million.

Ty Nsekhe. The 36-year-old signed a one-year, $1.75 million contract with the Cowboys last year. He played in 12 games as the team’s swing tackle. He has experience, but it’s unlikely that he would be much of an upgrade over what Dallas already has on the roster.

TL;DR: best free agents are Eric Fisher, Nate Solder. Could also make a trade, specifically mentioning Isaiah Wynn of the Pats.

I would think they would just go ahead and sink or swim with Tyler Smith and try to find a swing tackle ASAP. There are more guard options than tackle at this point. Tyler at least has the physical attributes necessary though it would be rough getting him in the groove. It's going to be the future, so might as well start with the growing pains now. No other options are going to be a decent short term solution, so they just need to move on and see if their guy was a good pick.

3 hours ago, Zeus said:

Fucking dipshits got rid of Williams this is what they get.

Lol

I'm a very casual Cowboys 'fan'.   Watch most of their games because I like football and generally hope they win but absolutely zero emotional involvement.   And so I certainly don't live and breathe with offseason decisions, have any idea where they are relative to the cap etc. etc.   But I knew enough to realize that formerly dominant OL has regressed and what is left was aging and often injured.  So I was surprised when I heard they were moving on from Collins/Williams.  I know Collins had injury issues and Williams had penalty issues but were those moves questioned at the time given state of the OL?  

• Hook 'Em 1

Williams could not play left tackle, or even right tackle in the NFL. Having him remain would not have significantly helped in this case. 

But they certainly should have invested more heavily and wisely in OL this past offseason and prior. Particularly at tackle, where they knew they were gambling on Tyron's health and development of other flawed candidates.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Skipper said:

I'm a very casual Cowboys 'fan'.   Watch most of their games because I like football and generally hope they win but absolutely zero emotional involvement.   And so I certainly don't live and breathe with offseason decisions, have any idea where they are relative to the cap etc. etc.   But I knew enough to realize that formerly dominant OL has regressed and what is left was aging and often injured.  So I was surprised when I heard they were moving on from Collins/Williams.  I know Collins had injury issues and Williams had penalty issues but were those moves questioned at the time given state of the OL?  

Nobody questions jerrah

42 minutes ago, DougO said:

Williams could not play left tackle, or even right tackle in the NFL. Having him remain would not have significantly helped in this case. 

But they certainly should have invested more heavily and wisely in OL this past offseason and prior. Particularly at tackle, where they knew they were gambling on Tyron's health and development of other flawed candidates.

Sure but now they are shifting guys around - unless Tyler Smith skips out on winning the starting guard position (from Connor McGovern who also sucks) and they want to start a rookie Left Tackle... Does Josh Ball suck? He's never played a snap - always injured. 

Probably Steele moves over to LT and Tyler Smith gets the nod at RT.

Jerry smoking fucking jimson weed again. He was saying Tyron might not need surgery. I hope Smith is not still so loyal to the Jones family that he tries to heal this without a surgical repair. (They helped him escape his crazy parents years ago; they were making him give them his game checks)

Smith should retire and work on learning to walk without a limp and being able to bend over. He is a beast the three games a year he is healthy. Had they drafted his replacement earlier he might could have moved to guard for a couple years. Now he’s worn out.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Sure but now they are shifting guys around - unless Tyler Smith skips out on winning the starting guard position (from Connor McGovern who also sucks) and they want to start a rookie Left Tackle... Does Josh Ball suck? He's never played a snap - always injured. 

Josh ball has looked like a pile of shit so far. Bolts and broncs ate his lunch in practices
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Zeus said:

Nobody questions jerrah

Reports on Ball through camp have not been good. The Cowboys were already looking at FA tackle options after week one when signings have less long term impact with guarantees. Now they likely have to weight signing a player now and having two weeks to get them ready.

Tyler has at least had some reps at left tackle. Steele has experience there but it didn't go very well. I think it's better to do as less shifting as possible. Moving the whole thing around makes it worse. Prospects at right tackle after Steele aren't good, either, especially after Waletzko got hurt. I think they need to leave Martin where he is and not screw with their top strength. He's not a tackle, either,  despite all the hype about versatility. He wouldn't be nearly as good in another role.

1 hour ago, Texzilla58 said:

Josh ball has looked like a pile of shit so far. Bolts and broncs ate his lunch in practices

To be fair, it was second and third teamers who were eating his lunch.  So lot’s of “potential” for growth.

11 hours ago, Hermanator said:

Do they go drastic and move Martin to RT, Steele to LT, McGovern to RG? McGovern was a much better RG than LG when he had to play before. 

Dak better get the ball out quickly 

Doubtful.  Zack wouldn't go for it either.  They probably just turbo charge their plan and move the rookie, Smith, to LT now instead of next year and let him take his whippings.  May set a record for penalties.

8 hours ago, Hate said:

They should talk to the Texans about Tunsil. They could probably get him for a couple of 2nd rounders.

lol.  Those crazy rascals, them Texans.

Just so folks can understand how devastating this is....

Also important to remember..... this organization and its decision maker are a joke, but they laugh to the bank based on the money the fandom spends on them.  The fans deserve better.  Its time to demand better.

1 hour ago, Fire Jack Chevigny said:

What a total fucking clown show.

Good fucking god. 

Jerry saying the NFL season is 2.5 times longer than the college one. Fucking idiot either can't do basic math or thinks the college season is 6 games long. 

Then of course spineless ass bitch SAS has his opportunity to say the truth and roast Jones for pure incompetence like he always does, but no he's going to kiss the billionaire ass when it's in front of him and actually blames the fans.