Dallas Cowboys 2022 Offseason Thread -- Every Time Jerrah Talks, an Angel Sheds Their Wings

Patrick Bateman

10 hours ago, lilMAC25 said:

Holy shit, Miami got fleeced.

To be fair to Miami. I respect the fact that they’re doing everything they can to find out if tua is the guy. He’s shown some promise from time to time but it’s been impossible to grade him because of their line and their lack of a running game. Go out and get him a top 5 wr, a top 5 tackle, and a running back who when healthy has had as much success as anyone in mike McDaniel’s system.

They still have 2 first round picks too. At least they’re trying. I feel like we aren’t even trying. Our strategy is “our division is so bad, we’re a shoe-in for the playoffs. Maybe we get hot?”

“It’s been a really bad offseason for the Cowboys,” he said. “You don’t have to win free agency, but a lot of good teams are getting better. You’ve gotta have a plan. If you want to tank, then tank – but at least it’s a plan. If you wanna get better, get better – it’s a plan.”

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I think their plan is to be meh and then hire Payton next year. 

That’s a lot of confidence in someone to pull off a grand conspiracy that can’t seem to plan a simple trade.

This might be in their head but they probably haven’t talked the Payton. Sean might be on Fox on the 3:25 game. Money is so huge now with these new contracts.

3 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

Payton is basically McCarthy if you look at their records. Basically identical. It would be more of the same.

I don’t think Payton will coach again. TV is his next stop

Look at Brees before he got to NO and then after. Now look at Rodgers with McCarthy, and now with LaFleur. Brees isn’t a HOF qb without Payton. Rodgers is Rodgers if Jason fucking Garrett was there 

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

Look at Brees before he got to NO and then after. Now look at Rodgers with McCarthy, and now with LaFleur. Brees isn’t a HOF qb without Payton. Rodgers is Rodgers if Jason fucking Garrett was there 

And he would still be coaching a Jerry/Stephen Jones-managed organization.

Payton wouldn't stand a chance against that type of inertia. It's like "the Nothing" from The Neverending Story.

Their records side by side are almost identical. And if Miami had signed Brees instead of Culpepper where would Payton have been. He wanted to take Romo with him. Payton knows the Jones very well and is good friends with them. If he comes to work for them he knows what to expect and what to demand.

The money and lifestyle afforded doing a TV gig is hard to pass by and he has said he wants to do it. It’s why Jimmy, Cowher, and others didn’t go back to the shitty life of a head coach.

1 hour ago, Texzilla58 said:

Their records side by side are almost identical. And if Miami had signed Brees instead of Culpepper where would Payton have been. He wanted to take Romo with him. Payton knows the Jones very well and is good friends with them. If he comes to work for them he knows what to expect and what to demand.

The money and lifestyle afforded doing a TV gig is hard to pass by and he has said he wants to do it. It’s why Jimmy, Cowher, and others didn’t go back to the shitty life of a head coach.

But they didn’t. And he made Brees a hall of fame qb. There’s a reason McCarthy was always a laughing stock and Payton was always well respected. Goes beyond the records. Garrett was 85-67 as a head coach. If you just looked at that on the surface (like you’re doing with McCarthy and Payton) youd say “hmm. Pretty damn good coach”

Edited by youdunnf'dup
  • Like 1

But they didn’t. And he made Brees a hall of fame qb. There’s a reason McCarthy was always a laughing stock and Payton was always well respected. Goes beyond the records. Garrett was 85-67 as a head coach. If you just looked at that on the surface (like you’re doing with McCarthy and Payton) youd say “hmm. Pretty damn good coach”

I wanted Payton as the Dallas coach when he was the Dallas OC. I wouldn’t say Rodgers wasn’t on a HoF track before LaFleur; he certainly was, and he hasn’t won a ring since. I’m not a McCarthy fan but I don’t think Payton is coming GM here. I think he probably wishes he’d retired when Brees did. Same as Belichik should have retired when Tom left. It’s hard to start over without a QB.

I think Sean is headed for the bright lights of TV. Romo is surely telling him what a great life it is, and the money is better.

1 hour ago, Hook1997 said:

Damn I never realized what Aikman’s TD/Int ratio was during his career.  

5F060416-246B-495E-949C-15B563FDCBF4.jpeg

The first two seasons were pretty brutal. But yeah, I have always thought in terms of history that Aikman was overrated, yet another unpopular but correct totally unbiased opinion. QBs always get too much credit and blame. Aikman goes to the Jets or other bottom feeder, he ends up being another top pick qb that got ruined by a shitty franchise. 

Edited by DougO

The first two seasons were pretty brutal. But yeah, I have always thought in terms of history that Aikman was overrated, yet another unpopular but correct totally unbiased opinion. QBs always get too much credit and blame. Aikman goes to the Jets or other bottom feeder, he ends up being another top pick qb that got ruined by a shitty franchise. 

Aikman not overrated. Extremely accurate, extremely smart, great leadership. He was a football player. Had he not been a QB he would have been TE or LB. Three rings. Marino zero. I’ll take team results over stats any day. Of course he is average if he goes to a shitty franchise or maybe doesn’t have Jerry Rhome or Norv to coach him. Where would Steve McNair be had he been gifted with solid coaching instead of fuckwit qb killer Jeff fisher?

5 minutes ago, Texzilla58 said:

Aikman not overrated. Extremely accurate, extremely smart, great leadership. He was a football player. Had he not been a QB he would have been TE or LB. Three rings. Marino zero. I’ll take team results over stats any day. Of course he is average if he goes to a shitty franchise or maybe doesn’t have Jerry Rhome or Norv to coach him. Where would Steve McNair be had he been gifted with solid coaching instead of fuckwit qb killer Jeff fisher?

Overrated doesn't mean suck,. He was all the things you said. In terms of history, his team carried much more of the weight. He was perfect for Norv's system as a timing based passer with laser accuracy. When it wasn't working, he rarely was creative or adaptable, somewhat robotic. There were only a few occasions, far fewer when compared to the best of the best qbs, that he took a team on his back. He was a great qb, but he wasn't what Cowboys fans make him out to be in terms of NFL all time greats.

Edited by DougO
  • Like 1

Aikman had the ability to play a high pressure playoff game mistake free. That’s a rare trait, especially when the opponent is a really good team with smart coaches trying to force mistakes. 

I’ll concede- put him on a crappy team and he won’t carry them to great records. However, the HoF has a lot of QBs that would have done worse than three SB wins given Aikman’s opportunities 

Edited by statsman

Overrated doesn't mean suck,. He was all the things you said. In terms of history, his team carried much more of the weight. He was perfect for Norv's system as a timing based passer with laser accuracy. When it wasn't working, he rarely was creative or adaptable, somewhat robotic. There were only a few occasions, far fewer when compared to the best of the best qbs, that he took a team on his back. He was a great qb, but he wasn't what Cowboys fans make him out to be in terms of NFL all time greats.

Well of course. Those first two SB teams were two of the greatest nfl teams ever assembled, thank you Herschel Walker. And Norv was a masterful chess player calling that Zampese offense. Shit when they hired Zampese he couldn’t call em like norv.

I loved everything about that team but my qb is Roger.
  • Like 1

Troy Aikman played in an era where everyone’s stats were like that except for a few years when Montana/Young and Brett Favre went off.  Even Marino’s big stat years had ended by the time Aikman entered the league.  
Here are Aikman’s QB rating rankings during his prime:
Passer Rating
1991 NFL 86.7 (6)
1992 NFL 89.5 (3)
1993 NFL 99.0 (2)
1994 NFL 84.9 (5)
1995 NFL 93.6 (3)
He was an elite QB for the era.  It just so happens that this was an era when an 89.5 QB rating - which would be utter trash when Jay Cutler played - was good for top 3 in the NFL.
And the difference isn’t because 90s QBs just sucked compared to today.  The difference is somewhat due to style of offense and (in my opinion) mostly due to officiating changes.  Modern pass blocking was called “holding” in prior eras.  Modern pass interference and defensive holding is called way, way more friendly to the offense compared to prior eras.  QBs are protected now, whereas they were abused and basically walking wounded in prior eras.
It’s like how NBA scoring drastically decreased in the 90s and 00s before rising back up again in the last decade back to 1980s numbers.  A generation of players didn’t just forget how to shoot or start sucking.  The changes in offensive output directly mirrored changes in officiating.  When everyone started playing like the Pistons (fouling constantly and banking on the refs deciding to swallow the whistle except on the most egregious fouls), scoring went down.   When the league made refs start calling everything again, scoring went up.
The NFL is currently stacked in favor of the offense.  People like scoring so I don’t think they will be changing how the refs call games anytime soon.  But if we went back to 1992 officiating, I think you’d see a lot of these 105 QB rating guys instantly turn into 80 QB rating guys.

I would love to somehow see modern QBs play one game in the era of Otto Graham, Bart Starr, Terry Bradshaw, or Montana. To get augered into the dirt by Deacon Jones or Alan Page and then get into the huddle and call your own play. To see you receivers getting mugged by Willie Davis. I think those modern big numbers would be way less.
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

Troy Aikman played in an era where everyone’s stats were like that except for a few years when Montana/Young and Brett Favre went off.  Even Marino’s big stat years had ended by the time Aikman entered the league.  

Here are Aikman’s QB rating rankings during his prime:

Passer Rating

1991 NFL 86.7 (6)

1992 NFL 89.5 (3)

1993 NFL 99.0 (2)

1994 NFL 84.9 (5)

1995 NFL 93.6 (3)

He was an elite QB for the era.  It just so happens that this was an era when an 89.5 QB rating - which would be utter trash when Jay Cutler played - was good for top 3 in the NFL.

And the difference isn’t because 90s QBs just sucked compared to today.  The difference is somewhat due to style of offense and (in my opinion) mostly due to officiating changes.  Modern pass blocking was called “holding” in prior eras.  Modern pass interference and defensive holding is called way, way more friendly to the offense compared to prior eras.  QBs are protected now, whereas they were abused and basically walking wounded in prior eras.

It’s like how NBA scoring drastically decreased in the 90s and 00s before rising back up again in the last decade back to 1980s numbers.  A generation of players didn’t just forget how to shoot or start sucking.  The changes in offensive output directly mirrored changes in officiating.  When everyone started playing like the Pistons (fouling constantly and banking on the refs deciding to swallow the whistle except on the most egregious fouls), scoring went down.   When the league made refs start calling everything again, scoring went up.

The NFL is currently stacked in favor of the offense.  People like scoring so I don’t think they will be changing how the refs call games anytime soon.  But if we went back to 1992 officiating, I think you’d see a lot of these 105 QB rating guys instantly turn into 80 QB rating guys.

First I want to say I agree with everything that you're saying here about Troy Aikman vs his contemporaries. However I have a minor quibble with the bolded part  While league rule changes definitely affected the prolific scoring in the respective sports, there has been a lot of skill refinement that has taken place on the lower levels that also contributes to the increased proficiency we see in today's athletes. Freaking 4th graders get QB coaching and shot refinement today. Yes the rule changes are a huge part of it, but the athletes are also much more skilled today than they were back then. 

• Hook 'Em 1

14 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Fast becoming as stupid as his Dad.  More like just confirming it but jfc.

Can you name one instance in the history of human civilization where the golden spoon fed offspring of supreme privilege turned out to be anything other than spoiled worthless fucks? 

The odds are it's happened but I can't think of any. 

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

Can you name one instance in the history of human civilization where the golden spoon fed offspring of supreme privilege turned out to be anything other than spoiled worthless fucks? 

The odds are it's happened but I can't think of any. 

I know a few.