Dallas Cowboys 2022 Offseason Thread -- Every Time Jerrah Talks, an Angel Sheds Their Wings

Patrick Bateman

I'm not too terribly disappointed in any of the Cowboys offseason player moves. I'm extremely disturbed by the lack of coaching moves.

I wish they would have ponied up some cash for a top center, though. They're gonna have to get really lucky in the draft.

It was obvious he just wanted to go to Denver and used the"language" as the excuse instead of just saying he would rather play for Denver. Bad contract anyway for a decent pass rusher who can't play the run. 

It’s obvious Gregory maintains that sense of entitlement he’s had since he tested positive for weed at the combine. He ended up making a couple mil more than pff was projecting, and I wonder if his agent told him about Colorado income tax when comparing essentially identical offers. I’m glad he’s gone; my issue is Stephen didn’t seem to have a plan to replace him. I wanted a Chandler Jones type plus resign Armstrong.

So Collins is getting about the same money at Cincy, maybe even a bit less. I'm OK with moving on from Collins, but to get nothing back it just stupidity. It seems like they couldn't have played it much worse, except they are the Cowboys. If Cincy was able to get the contract they just gave him, clearly the Cowboys could have gotten a 3 or 4 maybe with Cincy agreeing to restructure with the same deal they gave him. But they wait until the last minute to say, "yeah, we'll probably just cut him...but hey, maybe w'ell trade him. Just stupidass bullshit. Same with Cooper. OK, he's not worth what the gave up and want to cut bait, do a deal earlier and let his new team negotiate a new deal and get something better than a 5 that will end up being nobody.

You look at the Patriots over the past decade. The treat their OL like dog meat. Seems like every other year they trade away productive OL pieces that they didn't really need to trade, but they get draft picks in return. And the replacements are cheap and do what they need them to do. They may sign a guy to fill in for a year or two and then let him walk.

The Cowboys as much on OL as any other team in the league, but then ever year they get dinged up and the OL sucks ass. Yet they still remain solid on the worst piece of their OL, the center who gets thrown around like a rag doll on a regular basis and starts the chain reaction of crippling every other player's performance. 

22 hours ago, C-Man said:

The article says:

"Gregory objected to language in the contract that would allow the club to void the deal if he were to be fined or suspended, sources told The Dallas Morning News. The language is standard in every Cowboys’ contract, with the exception of quarterback Dak Prescott’s deal, sources said."

I read somewhere else that no other team has this provision in their contracts. That can't possibly be true. There also has to be more to the wording. Guys get fined for excessive celebration or commenting on officiating. Surely players aren't agreeing to forego guarantees for stuff like that. My guess is that it was specific to drugs or peds and other teams have that language too. Either way, fuck him and is offsides ass, he'll be suspended soon again anyway. Jerry and Stephen suck some serious shit but I just don't believe that it was about contract language that the Cowboys use that nobody else uses. We'd never sign anyone if it were true.

1 hour ago, 'stache said:

The article says:

"Gregory objected to language in the contract that would allow the club to void the deal if he were to be fined or suspended, sources told The Dallas Morning News. The language is standard in every Cowboys’ contract, with the exception of quarterback Dak Prescott’s deal, sources said."

I read somewhere else that no other team has this provision in their contracts. That can't possibly be true. There also has to be more to the wording. Guys get fined for excessive celebration or commenting on officiating. Surely players aren't agreeing to forego guarantees for stuff like that. My guess is that it was specific to drugs or peds and other teams have that language too. Either way, fuck him and is offsides ass, he'll be suspended soon again anyway. Jerry and Stephen suck some serious shit but I just don't believe that it was about contract language that the Cowboys use that nobody else uses. We'd never sign anyone if it were true.

It’s the fine portion that is unique to the Cowboys.  Most teams have the suspension language in there.  Most front office folks think it’s silly and duplicitous.  

1 hour ago, 'stache said:

The article says:

The key part is the loss of guaranteed money for fines.  As determined by the CBA every team in the league can dismiss guaranteed money with a suspension. The Cowboys are alone in requiring contract language of dismissing guaranteed money for fines.  Former agent and front office personnel man, Andrew Brandt discusses this distinction here:

• Hook 'Em 1

And for further clarification Randy definitely had that forfeiture language in his rookie, however when he returned from his suspension he was no longer playing on a rookie contract and therefore had no guaranteed money.  So technically that Schafer dude, who became his agent after his suspensions, never encountered that language for Gregory on previous dealings with the Cowboys.

I’m just struggling to believe that agents were allowing their clients to sign contracts all these years with that clause when no other team had it, especially when it comes to fines under Goodells reign which seemingly can be for anything and for benign things. Wouldn’t it have come up already? 

15 hours ago, 'stache said:

I’m just struggling to believe that agents were allowing their clients to sign contracts all these years with that clause when no other team had it, especially when it comes to fines under Goodells reign which seemingly can be for anything and for benign things. Wouldn’t it have come up already? 

This is what I'm thinking. This makes no sense from a perspective of all the previous contracts signed and it wasn't a problem? They want us to believe Zeke's agent, with Zeke's history and the knowledge it was going to be a bad contract for the team, was going to just overlook this?

All signs point to he wanted to leave for whatever reason and Jerry guilt tripped him into agreeing to sign with the Cowboys last Monday night. Then the next day he told his agent to just sign with Denver and make an excuse.

20 hours ago, 'stache said:

So, per Fish sports tweet, the Cowboys started inserting this clause in most cases starting in 2018.  Therefore, it wouldn’t have been in Gregory’s rookie deal and may not be in rookie deals at all since those are rather boiler plate.  

When Gregory signed his 1 year extension in 2019, there wasn’t any guaranteed money except for the signing bonus which probably couldn’t be refunded after being paid out, so there is a good chance that he had never seen or at least never had this language potentially effect him.  

Now…. It would have.  I can understand Gregory’s side.  I can understand the Cowboys, knowing Gregory’s history, wanting it in.  However if no other team is using the voiding guaranteed money over a fine then I get why a player would walk.  It’s also obvious Dallas picks and chooses when they put this language in.  In the end, if your negotiating and contract language goes above normal circumstances then it will have reactions.  It’s pretty silly to have it in, if they’ve never were to use it too…. Which, as of today, they never have.  It’s like protecting yourself in your homeowners policy if there was an alien invasion.  Why?

So in the case of Gregory, Dallas matched the Denver offer and offered when challenged to remove it. Gregory wanted out to go to legal weedville. Glad he’s gone. Just wished they had a plan.

The contract language is weird. Would like to figure out what event or situation compelled them to start inserting it, but I get tired head.

On 3/11/2022 at 4:18 PM, DougO said:

I don't know who Dave Howman is, but the fake punt thing sounds like bullshit.

Yep. Strange though, they cut him at a mil a year, then sign him at 3 mil a year. Must be seriously backloaded.

4 minutes ago, 'stache said:

No real Cowboys fan has said that in at least a decade. It's cautious optimism, at best, every single year.

I never use the silly line. I did fully buy in for 2014, 2016 and early last year, though. But I tapped out around Thanksgiving and knew they were frauds.  And every year, ended the exact same way. 

I'll always watch but my full investment gets less and less. The losses don't get me down and the wins are met with a lot of cautious optimism so even those are not as enjoyable. Not sure why I keep coming back year after year like that. Same as Longhorns football the last decade. 

• Hook 'Em 1

So in the case of Gregory, Dallas matched the Denver offer and offered when challenged to remove it. Gregory wanted out to go to legal weedville. Glad he’s gone. Just wished they had a plan.

The contract language is weird. Would like to figure out what event or situation compelled them to start inserting it, but I get tired head.

Whether weed is legal where he lives/plays is immaterial. It’s still a controlled substance in the NFL. We can argue all day about how hard the NFL wants to enforce it but Gregory was dumb enough to get caught multiple times. I bet 75% of the league uses regularly, not many get nailed.

Look at the trades of Hill and Adams. And then look at our trade with Cooper. Lmao. Not to say Cooper is on their level (although he can be at times). But a fucking 5th round pick is all we could get? Jones family strikes again. He's the same skill level as when we traded for him in 2018 and gave up a 1st rounder then. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Whether weed is legal where he lives/plays is immaterial. It’s still a controlled substance in the NFL. We can argue all day about how hard the NFL wants to enforce it but Gregory was dumb enough to get caught multiple times. I bet 75% of the league uses regularly, not many get nailed.

Gregory was so dumb he tested positive at the combine. The league wants to quit enforcing weed violations as most the players use it for pain management.

I lived in Mississippi in the mid90’s and a guy on our staff grew up with Leon Lett. “Leon been chronic since third grade! When he got drafted by Dallas he got a two bedroom apartment and filled one bedroom with bales of dope!”

14 minutes ago, Texzilla58 said:

Gregory was so dumb he tested positive at the combine. The league wants to quit enforcing weed violations as most the players use it for pain management.

I lived in Mississippi in the mid90’s and a guy on our staff grew up with Leon Lett. “Leon been chronic since third grade! When he got drafted by Dallas he got a two bedroom apartment and filled one bedroom with bales of dope!”

Can't blame him for wanting to live in Denver over Dallas. I love Dallas, it's my adopted home since 1998. But I'd live just about anywhere in Colorado in a heartbeat.

2 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

ha.   the league can enforce it or not but they aren't using it for "pain management".  

Cowboys haven't won the NFC East two years in a row since the mid 90s so yeah I don't have high hopes. Got rid of Amari Cooper, Randy Gregory, and La'el Collins with no one of note replacing them. 

That a bar bet I would have lost on the 2 years in a row thing. But per wiki we have the most in the nfc east. Interesting.

9 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

Look at the trades of Hill and Adams. And then look at our trade with Cooper. Lmao. Not to say Cooper is on their level (although he can be at times). But a fucking 5th round pick is all we could get? Jones family strikes again. He's the same skill level as when we traded for him in 2018 and gave up a 1st rounder then. 

Mind you Tyreek is older than Cooper. Stephen sabotaged his own asset by declaring that we were going to cut him. We should've at least gotten a 3rd or a couple 4th rounders outta Cleveland.  They have a shitload of picks over the next couple of drafts.  

Edited by Catdaddyhorn
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1