Marshall, TX seems like a second world country.....

Aqua Buddha

Also, my bougie ass is down there spending $2500 on a dog.  You think I'm roughing it in some motherfucking third world hotel in Marshall?  Hell naw.
As we were driving to Longview, the wife (no pics) said "They room is a suite with a living area and it's only $120/night!!??"

What kind of dog/ who was the breeder? Just out of curiosity. You can pm me if you want.

They weren’t Cavalier King Charles Spaniels were they?

My work requires me to visit there from time to time and, the thing I do there is lucrative, so I go gladly.  

They treat me well there too.  I even went to a damned walk the red carpet movie premier in that town and had dinner with an actor and the director at the jalapeño tree after.
https://m.imdb.com/title/tt2630352/

I can’t imagine much being important over there.

Grew up in Lufkin and when i was in school there, our district was us, Nacogdoches, John Tyler, Tyler Lee, Longview, and Marshall (which was a seriously tough district by the way).

Had to play football and tennis up there...hated going there despite success up there.  it was such a pain in the ass drive.  Their football field was rock hard (perhaps from under watering?) and their tennis courts were made of some weird plastic grate that was annoying as fuck to play on.

also, the wr david aaron from there had a disappointing texas career to say the least.

i thought i would never have to go back there again but for reasons alluded to throughout the thread, find myself there occasionally which sucks.

• Hook 'Em 2

I'm from small-town Texas and I'm very in agreement that many small towns suck. I'm a complete big city snob now.

I found myself at a work meeting about an hour north of Houston. I'm blocked the town name from my memory. The local people I was working with, wanted to go to the Chinese buffet in town, so we went. It was like a former NAPA auto parts building or something. They beelined to the sushi bar.  I like sushi but no way was I touching that in that town in a Chinese buffet. My lack of knowledge about Chinese buffets also made me wonder why they had sushi but I didn't ask.

2 hours ago, Jkwellborn said:

What kind of dog/ who was the breeder? Just out of curiosity. You can pm me if you want.

They weren’t Cavalier King Charles Spaniels were they?

Miniature dachshund breeder in Waskom.  AAA Select Dachshunds.  Highly recommend them.

Just don't stay in Marshall.

My wife paid $1700 for a Shizhu.

Cool story. 6 months after having our dog, we find out he has hair growing on the inside of his eyelids. We need surgery to burn off the hairs. The surgery was going to cost $3000. 

I said F That. I suggested we give the dog away and buy another dog and save $1300. She was NOT amused and I lost that argument.

• Like 2
  • Rage+1 1

16 hours ago, Aqua Buddha said:

I'm not putting this in food and travel because you should never travel to nor eat in Marshall.

So, the wife (no pics) and I drove to a small town in East Texas to pick up a new dog.  It was recommended we stay in nearby Marshall rather than Shreveport because Shreveport is a shit hole or something.

Anyway, we roll into Marshall after a long drive and checked into the hotel.  The clerk says "Hey, we don't have water here right now, is that OK?"  She went on to tell us that it had been out since mid afternoon and might be back on by morning.  Some yokel then chimed in that the people working on the water lived there so they were going to get it fixed.  (Never mind why it was broke in the first place.)  There was also some boil water order in place.

We figured this was too much so we hit the eject button and went to Longview.  Later we'd learn that this happens about once or twice a year in Marshall.  Pipes would bust, something would happen, etc.  It's why the locals were so flippant about it.  I saw something on a news story about them passing out water and "the town really comes together for things like this."  Why don't they come together and get the water fixed?  If this happened in my town, there would be a fucking riot and we'd hang the mayor.

Whatever you do, don't stay in Marshall.  They have a second world infrastructure and it's a crap shoot if the water works or not and if it doesn't, there doesn't seem to be much concern about it.  Never mind that East Texas has plenty of water.  We lived in San Antonio, which has all sorts of water issues but never that.  Then throw in the power grid from last year.....

Stayed in Marshall once for a wedding probably 18 years ago. A one night deal. I would never dream of staying there again. Whoever gave to you the advice of staying in Marshall over Shreveport is beyond stupid. That’s like advising someone to stay in Buda over Austin, but much worse. 

31 minutes ago, burntorangebongos said:

You paid $2500 for a Louisiana dog? Duh, it is going to be inbred as fuck.  Seriously,I thought you were getting one of those Catahoula hunting dogs for that price.

No, a Texas dog.

Evidently people go there from all over the country to but his dogs.

1 hour ago, crash_davis said:

My wife paid $1700 for a Shizhu.

Cool story. 6 months after having our dog, we find out he has hair growing on the inside of his eyelids. We need surgery to burn off the hairs. The surgery was going to cost $3000. 

I said F That. I suggested we give the dog away and buy another dog and save $1300. She was NOT amused and I lost that argument.

Johnny Kelly : Hi Dr. Magnus. How's my mother?

Dr. Magnus : It's her thyroid, Johnny.

Johnny Kelly : What's wrong with it?

Dr. Magnus : We can't find it. Gonna have to do a thyroid search.

Johnny Kelly : How much is that gonna cost?

Dr. Magnus : You're in luck. This week a special. $999 dollars

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Jkwellborn said:

I live close enough that I wouldn’t have to. You could have found better food in Waskom, Jefferson, or Avinger than outback.

What’s in Avinger other than a windowless “game room” where methheads play 8 liners and a bait stand?

3 hours ago, RDCanecutter said:

I'm sure you got a nice dog and all, but we were at the pound looking around about a month ago, and you could get any dog there for less than 100 bucks.

And some of em were big dogs.

ron-swanson-parks-and-rec.gif

• Hook 'Em 2

What’s in Avinger other than a windowless “game room” where methheads play 8 liners and a bait stand?

Not sure where either of those are. 5D steakhouse and Korbetts Catfish are both there. Haven’t had the catfish, but the steakhouse isn’t bad. I really like their qual appetizers.

19 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Seems like if you go out to explore Caddo Mills, you stumble across Uncertain, and Karnack.

Caddo Mills is up by Greenville. 

Inlaws are on 80 just east of Marshall, so I'm getting a kick out of these posts.  Caddo Lake is not without its charm. 

1 hour ago, Jkwellborn said:

Not sure where either of those are. 5D steakhouse and Korbetts Catfish are both there. Haven’t had the catfish, but the steakhouse isn’t bad. I really like their qual appetizers.

Closest liquor store when you live in a dry county. 

39 minutes ago, The Ace of Aces said:

Don’t you dare disrespect the mighty Dowell basketball family. Those men are always ballers. Lone Star only Avenger it was Avinger. 

Holy shit that’s a name I haven’t heard in a long time. They played in our summer league baseball league. Those kids were always damn tough on the mound and in the batters box. The best part was everyone had a nickname. Pookie, mookie, etc. “Hit the ball, Pookie!” Was always good for the lulz. 

I’m getting a kick out of this thread also.

Mom lived in Jefferson for awhile. We’d drive through Marshall to visit and just rolled through. Apparently smart.

Caddo was cool, we did the boat tour a couple times. Captain said Uncertain was named so because when the riverboats from LA would drop off mail, and they couldn’t read the address, they’d label it Uncertain. Google tells a different story, but  it was an interesting take.

IIRC the little train tour in Jefferson had a stop that glorified Confederate soldiers. Kids loved it, were bummed when Mom moved.  Daughter said one time Dad, there are a lot of Guns and Fireworks signs out here. Why yes, yes there are.

6 minutes ago, Mach 1 said:

I’m getting a kick out of this thread also.

Mom lived in Jefferson for awhile. We’d drive through Marshall to visit and just rolled through. Apparently smart.

Caddo was cool, we did the boat tour a couple times. Captain said Uncertain was named so because when the riverboats from LA would drop off mail, and they couldn’t read the address, they’d label it Uncertain. Google tells a different story, but  it was an interesting take.

IIRC the little train tour in Jefferson had a stop that glorified Confederate soldiers. Kids loved it, were bummed when Mom moved.  Daughter said one time Dad, there are a lot of Guns and Fireworks signs out here. Why yes, yes there are.

Jefferson is a pretty little town. And Lake Caddo is a very neat piece of American geography. Boat tour is for sure worth it if you're in the area. 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Jkwellborn said:

Lol oh yeah, that place is super bad. They say the sushi at Crumps is pretty good though.

Wait a fucking minute. Crumps - the grocery store in Linden - serves sushi? 😂 That’s the most amazing thing I’ve heard all day. I’ll have to make some inquiries about this. 

• Like 1

I just remembered a csb/

I took my son on a fishing trip on Lake O the Pines. The dude who took us was full on Cajun, an ex heavyweight boxer in the Army. We fished all over the place including his houseboat. Caught a bunch of ? can’t remember probably catfish but do remember the bass taking our bait and saying fuck you thank you very much.

When we had to load up the catch I said Hey, do you want some? I’m just going to fry up some for dinner.

He looked at me like it was Christmas. Mach 1, you give me some of those fish and I’m going to give them to a couple of twins over in LA I visit from time to tIme. Save me a little $ if you know any I mean.

He the pinched my son on the cheek. He was around 10 at the time, not sure if he got it or not.

/csb

Edited by Mach 1
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1