Texas @ College of Charleston/Citadel - March 15/16 - Midweek Thread

zlavydra

39 minutes ago, Fletch said:

Our potential is a legit top 5/title contender. Key word “potential”. I mean we took a team with Jake McKenzie at first and a bunch of rag tags and an Italian dude behind Kingham and Shugart. It’s gonna take a minute to figure out 3rd/4th starter. Would really like to see Gordon moved back to the pen. He seems more comfortable that way. And surely we can pull a Bocchi with Duplantier and Cobb. Hopefully. Maybe. Yeah grasping at straws here but eh. We got plenty of time to put it together for the regionals 

There’s a lot more to this issue than finding that starter.  We are exhibiting some really troublesome tendencies at the plate, on defense, and on the base paths.  It has been an accumulation of “little” things that has me more worried than just solving the TW void.

2-5 in the last 7?  I like her tits and skin tone.  But otherwise, this is all fucking bullshit.  Better see a fucking sweep of Citadel and Inarnate Fucking Word this week.  

FUCK THIS SHIT!  The selection committee still pays attention to non-conf. slates last I fucking checked and this teams are good, but not fucking GREAT BOB! 

2 hours ago, ztejas said:

Losing Witt for the season is starting to seem a bit more problematic. 

It was huge.  Not having three starters means we're having to throw the cannon fodder into the fire on Sundays, instead of bringing them along an inning or two at a time in relief or short starts against the little sisters.

It's probably actually a little worse right now, as we've gone two-game midweek, to three game weekend, to another two-game midweek.

We'll probably get settled down some after this roadtrip.

Edited by TwiceHorn

Losing Witt is looking really rough - the pen is not deep enough and Pierce really likes to ride his starters. Biggest problem is probably still the offense. Pitching has blown multiple games, but like others mentioned we lost Antico, Cam, and Zubia off this roster and its looking like the younger guys just don’t have it.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

You think losing Witt has NOTHING to do with the hitting? At the least it puts our hitters in less favorable situations having to play from behind. I'd argue it also likely has a more subconscious, psychological effect. These guys aren't robots. 

Yeah, I'd buy that.  The whipsaw from being 11-0, No. 1, and beating nemesis LSU to losing the third starter without an obvious replacement had to kind of mindfuck some people.  And that includes going from "we're invincible" to "we're fucked" in the space of a few days, both of which are overreactions.

• Hook 'Em 1

Wasn’t this past recruiting class supposed to be stacked? Obviously they are freshmen so I’m not asking for 3 all-Americans out of the group this year, but even in the limited appearances some of the hitters haven’t looked too good (thinking of Kash)

On the mound, I guess Stewart has looked okay but outside of that you haven’t heard or seen a peep about anyone else.

16 minutes ago, OB3 said:

Didn’t watch or listen to the game, doesn’t sound like I missed much. How did Stehly look in right and how was Powell?

It turns out Powell may have been not playing for a reason.  He struck out twice and frankly looked overmatched.  Late in the game Pierce pinch hit for him with Campbell, who also struck out.  We’re just going to have to ride it out with Messinger at 3rd and Campbell at either RF or DH.  I don’t think there’s a better option.  

Edited by ClubWhatever

Wasn’t this past recruiting class supposed to be stacked? Obviously they are freshmen so I’m not asking for 3 all-Americans out of the group this year, but even in the limited appearances some of the hitters haven’t looked too good (thinking of Kash)
On the mound, I guess Stewart has looked okay but outside of that you haven’t heard or seen a peep about anyone else.

Unfortunately, it wasn’t. PG had it ranked 60th, partially because its small, but we didn’t have much star power either. Stewart and Kash are the headline recruits, but they both will need at least a year it seems. Great to see Harrison contributing early though.

1 hour ago, Steel Shank said:

I didn't know our good hitting was contingent on TW being healthy. Just shows what I know.

It (losing a starter) can have an effect on hitting.  Starter goes down>>>>>Batters start to feel like they need to be more aggressive/drive in more runs>>>>>people start to press>>>>>& voila!  You got yourself a shit show.

Marry that up with running mouths, bat flips, and boozing it up in the bullpen and you’ve got a shit show “Especial”, as they say at the Cadillac Bar & Grill.

The butterfly effect is real and it is alive and well in the game of beisbol.

Edited by Cajun
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Cajun said:

There’s a lot more to this issue than finding that starter.  We are exhibiting some really troublesome tendencies at the plate, on defense, and on the base paths.  It has been an accumulation of “little” things that has me more worried than just solving the TW void.

No yeah all of that was assuming Faltine, Silas, Daly and the outfield keep doing their thing. This team reminds me of the 2014 one (well, now. With Witt and whatnot it felt more like 2010 but expectations adjusted). Like I said, it’s gonna be a bumpy ride till June, just gotta (god I hate this phrase) “trust the coaches”. Pierce, Tulo and Allen have certainly earned the benefit of the doubt. Again, come postseason(relax, we’re making the fucking tournament. Not pointed at you but whatever) just need 5-7 dependable arms and hope like hell the bottom 3rd of the lineup isn’t completely worthless while the top third and Faltine do their thing. So pretty much repeat what the 2014 team did. Sort of 

Edited by Fletch

1 hour ago, Lobo said:

2-5 in the last 7?  I like her tits and skin tone.  But otherwise, this is all fucking bullshit.  Better see a fucking sweep of Citadel and Inarnate Fucking Word this week.  

FUCK THIS SHIT!  The selection committee still pays attention to non-conf. slates last I fucking checked and this teams are good, but not fucking GREAT BOB! 

Yeah we gotta really hope Hansen and Stevens can do out there and pull Dillon Peter’s and Thornhill and shut em down, get a couple 3-1 type wins then steal some Sunday games. Oh and probably go ahead and don’t lose a midweek game the rest of the year. No idea what to do with the Sunday or Tuesday starter deal but Christ…..between Gordon, Duplantier and Cobb there’s gotta be a solid and an average starter in there. Fuck. 

1 minute ago, Cajun said:

Had this little exchange with Lat22 right before the SC series.  Not saying I called it, but I called it (last text)…

01801338-7D7F-4C89-A134-6130930ABA4B.jpeg

Hahahaha sorry. I like you dude, but you’re over the top pessimism and my arguable over the top optimist are pretty predictable 

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Spaceman_Spiff said:

Unfortunately, it wasn’t. PG had it ranked 60th, partially because its small, but we didn’t have much star power either. Stewart and Kash are the headline recruits, but they both will need at least a year it seems. Great to see Harrison contributing early though.

Interesting. I feel like in baseball more than any other college sport you see guys flash as freshman and less of dudes who sit for a year or two before making their presence felt. Maybe I’m wrong though.

This staff has done a good job of developing players so I’ll give them the benefit of the doubt. It’s just frustrating to see teams like Texas State with a lineup full of dudes with chest chair and kids in the stands while we are praying that our 7 through 9 hitters aren’t auto outs. Obviously having been through the Augie days I know the mashing style doesn’t always translate to wins, but it sure would be nice to have more than 1-2 hitters in our lineup that opposing teams fear.

We will probably need to be more aggressive in the portal and juco ranks after signing just a small class last year.

you could kind of see this coming.  our hitting was good early but too many K's and getting some timely walks.  Everyone was crowning their ass.

this team without Witt can't have 3 guys hitting below the mendoza line.  I'd be willing to live with Campbell struggling(he's not ready obviously) from the 9 hole but Daly and Messinger need to get their shit together.  if they don't it is going to be a real long season.  Messinger left 6 on base tonight.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, ztejas said:

Not against Luke getting a look at some point. Maybe after we've won a couple conference series. 

I seem to remember Stewart being like some big time recruit or something coming out of high school but could be wrong. Baseball recruiting is not very easy to follow 

19 minutes ago, Cajun said:

Marry that up with running mouths, bat flips, and boozing it up in the bullpen and you’ve got a shit show “Especial”, as they say at the Cadillac Bar & Grill.

Horn's playin' like they had too many "Mambo Taxi's"  right before their games...

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Interesting. I feel like in baseball more than any other college sport you see guys flash as freshman and less of dudes who sit for a year or two before making their presence felt. Maybe I’m wrong though.

This staff has done a good job of developing players so I’ll give them the benefit of the doubt. It’s just frustrating to see teams like Texas State with a lineup full of dudes with chest chair and kids in the stands while we are praying that our 7 through 9 hitters aren’t auto outs. Obviously having been through the Augie days I know the mashing style doesn’t always translate to wins, but it sure would be nice to have more than 1-2 hitters in our lineup that opposing teams fear.

We will probably need to be more aggressive in the portal and juco ranks after signing just a small class last year.

hitting was always going to drop off some this year.  as I've said before losing Witt is like losing a starter and his setup/relief from last year all in one player.  Stevens and  Hansen are gonna have to be full on Friday night aces all season.

Get Duplantier back into the bullpen where he should have been in the first place. The bullpen is already shaky enough. We can probably get by with Eckhardt as the midweek guy assuming we shore up a few other areas. Gordon as the Sunday guy is fine. He has good stuff, just needs some development. I bet he’ll be really good next year. Continue to stretch Harrison out as your 5th starter/bullpen guy in case things continue to go south.

Keep Stehly in right and play the matchup game at DH. I know he hasn’t done anything in his limited appearances yet but I like O’Dowd. Maybe platoon him and Campbell. Not sure what to do with Messinger other than just pray. Daly will come around (had a few hits tonight) and he plays great defense. Get Faltine into the 6 hole and get Messinger hitting 8th in front of Daly.

See you boys in Omaha.

Edited by Hookem2147

2 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

hitting was always going to drop off some this year.  as I've said before losing Witt is like losing a starter and his setup/relief from last year all in one player.  Stevens and  Hansen are gonna have to be full on Friday night aces all season.

I figured we would struggle a little replacing Antico. I didn’t anticipate us missing Zubia and Williams this much.

How has Whitehead’s hitting looked so far this year? I know he’s fast, so maybe putting him at 8 or 9 would get the guys behind him less focus from the pitcher so maybe a slip up or two. (Kinda like EK with Melendez, just a fast guy that the pitcher has to think about in the back of his head)

1 minute ago, dcar00 said:

you could kind of see this coming.  our hitting was good early but too many K's and getting some timely walks.  Everyone was crowning their ass.

this team without Witt can't have 3 guys hitting below the mendoza line.  I'd be willing to live with Campbell struggling(he's not ready obviously) from the 9 hole but Daly and Messinger need to get their shit together.  if they don't it is going to be a real long season.  Messinger left 6 on base tonight.

We have to put Stehly at 3rd and give Kash or Schussler or whatever, preferably Kash, the dh spot. Kash seems like he’s got some power. And Cobb is starting his redemption tour. Unleash Powell!