Is the West Mall still a place where all speech is welcome?

horn4life

I guess I could go and check it out myself, But if I am heading downtown it's for music or food and not the West Mall.  But I am just curious if that is still the case? One of the things I always like about UT was that every point of view (no matter how crazy or stupid) was allowed, though not necessarily embraced.  I stepped on campus in '79, and with so many smaller organized groups today than then I wondered about the dynamics of the West Mall.

This is a topic I have been thinking about a while, because more and more often speakers are shouted down,  or organized against to the point where they are "uninvited."  One of the very best classes I took at UT was a logic class.  The speakers were varied, all were very convinced their point of view was correct, and usually their positions were eloquently presented.  The spectrum went from Madeline Murray O'Hair to some General whose name I cannot recall.  Listening, ESPECIALLY to a point of view I disagreed with, made me think!  

It was very interesting to break down the varying arguments and understand where their point of view differed or was flawed, usually based on the basic premises of the argument, and not all the effervescent details of deep thought they presented during their presentations.  I still have no problem in engaging in serious (sometimes heated) debate.  Usually I end up shutting the arguments down with either a hand shake or a head shake (if you don't know facts). 

I was mainly just curious about whether the West Mall is still a place where you can voice your opinion freely, even if I personally think it's stupid as shit?

• Hook 'Em 2

Are you talking about the literal/physical West Mall part of campus between the Drag & the Tower?  Or in the metonym sense of intellectual discourse at UT?  

It's pretty quiet there these days.  And it was even right before Covid.  I go through there quite frequently and it's usually just the clubs/organizations and fundraiser tables.  Last two things I can remember was about three years ago an author about staying on fossil fuels spoke.  I attended with an O&G colleague and I thought it'd be 20 dorks like us there.  Instead there were several dozen, very loud protestors there and about 200 people in attendance.  That was the only time in the last decade I've been genuinely surprised at the activity.  The biggest thing I've seen there in recent years was 5 years ago, the Woman March on the Capitol deal, and hundreds, maybe thousands of students gathered there to start their own protest before merging with the big one.  I expected that one, but it still freaked me out when my car was surrounded on ICD leaving campus.  

Once in a great while, there'll be a literal handful of kids yelling about something, but nothing terribly organized or visible.  Even the 'Eyes of Texas' stuff was such a small deal to them, it was a handful of alumni on both sides using it as a proxy to start shit with one another.  Never hear much about demanding UTIMCO to divest all of our oil assets.  I'm on campus all the time, lecture in two courses, and mentor a fair number of students.  I haven't heard peep one about CRT.  I'm guessing it's because these students know what sane adults should know...if you want to learn about CRT...there's courses that specifically mention it in the course description and syllabus.  For the other 98% of kids on campus, they have other courses to focus on where CRT is never mentioned and they got real shit to worry about.  

The students today are much more focused and much more capable of critical thinking, IMO.  Of course the majority of them are fiercely political but they don't drag it into campus life and the classroom like we do.  I try to take a cue from that.

if you are respectfully stating interesting, possibly factual statements in opposition to a topic, most people would think, hmm that's interesting, let's discuss that further. that's called a conversation. no need to hide behind the "free speech" get out of jail card.

if you are making up shit, blatantly making statements to piss off people, then you are going to hide behind the "free speech" card. but then the message was never really the point. you are just an asshole who wants to be talked about.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

when someone defends something as free speech, i automatically assume that speech is filled with hate, idiocy, and bullshit. that is what has become of free speech. fucking idiots with a bullhorn. half of the world are idiots. it's unfortunate that those are the idiots who use and espouse free speech the most.

free speech and civility should go hand in hand. free speech without civility is just non-sense bullshit with the sole purpose of pissing off people. it's more "hey look at me" than a civilized, respectful exchange of ideas.

People have a right to say whatever they want.  Students also don't have to listen or tolerate it on their campus if they don't want it.  It's may be a right to say what you want, but there is not a right to be given a platform or force people to listen. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Js1 said:

People have a right to say whatever they want.  Students also don't have to listen or tolerate it on their campus if they don't want it.  It's may be a right to say what you want, but there is not a right to be given a platform or force people to listen. 

good point. as to the West Mall, a few times I've asked my daughters (no pics) if there are idiots who get up with mics and bitch about shit, protest about shit, or save the world. both said they've never seen anything like that. so i guess it's no longer a thing. 

maybe UT realized what i said above. it's not discourse. it's mostly idiots using the podium to be idiots.

i only remember two events in west mall.

once when the cia was recruiting or doing something at the UGL and there were protesters. a student or group of students did something to one of the tables of the recruiters. cops and other LEOS got involved chasing and arresting the students. lots of yelling and commotion.

the other time was during some free speech shit. no one was paying attention. and then a dude streaks buck ass nekkid from west malls steps down to the the drag and kept running down the street. everyone cheered.

Just now, crash_davis said:

once when the cia was recruiting or doing something at the UGL and there were protesters. a student or group of students did something to one of the tables of the recruiters. cops and other LEOS got involved chasing and arresting the students. lots of yelling and commotion.

the other time was during some free speech shit. no one was paying attention. and then a dude streaks buck ass nekkid from west malls steps down to the the drag and kept running down the street. everyone cheered.

I remember the street preacher dude who had a catch phrase of "because they were.....FOOOOOORNICATING!"  We loved that guy.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I just remember when a popular professor who was an avowed Communist Anarchist got whacked and then offered full tenure at Harvard. Had a funeral for academic freedom at West Mall. 

Most of the stuff in early 80s was vocal but harmless. Probably be better off we we brought it back. Way too much intolerance out there on all sides. We are being fed a steady diet of hatred and just eating it up. 

2 hours ago, ChiTownDoc said:

If whatever type of speech is ‘cool, cool’ at aggy and doesn’t fly at UT, you guys should take a victory lap.  Don’t overthink it…

I live and work surrounded by aggy.  When my daughter (funny, I don't have even one picture of her) chose Texas, many, many of my aggy coworkers and acquaintances were shocked that I would let her go to a school where all kinds of different viewpoints, especially liberal ones, are tolerated.  While we were touring the campus her senior year of high school, there were tables set up on the West Mall with speakers talking about topics from very liberal to very conservative, which helped set her mind to go to Texas.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

are we talking about rules and regulations that have been put in place to discriminate against certain types of speakers in that space, are we talking about violence that has occurred, or are we talking about how some are using their speech to make speakers feel unwanted and unwelcome to the point that they take their speech and go home? Maybe if some speakers feel that people with bigger and louder voices are intimidating them with their voices and making them have bad feelings such that they no longer want to continue with their speaking, we could set up a different space for them. We could keep the West Mall as a free for all of speech, and maybe create a different area where these speakers you speak of would be able to feel safe from the speech that they don't like. Perhaps next to the HSM where the Daily Texan offices are.

• Haha 2

I remember the street preacher dude who had a catch phrase of "because they were.....FOOOOOORNICATING!"  We loved that guy.

Sounds like the great “Brother Jed”. He was an absolute showman and always an immediate stop down for me and many of my fellow Gators. He plied his trade with his concubine “Sister Cindy” who while somewhat entertaining, did not possess nearly the charisma of Jed.

It was a proud moment for me when he rated Florida number 2 in the nation in the number of “HO-MO-sexuals. (Behind only Minnesota.) Obviously it was a time when any Gator top-10 ranking was appreciated.
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, crash_davis said:

when someone defends something as free speech, i automatically assume that speech is filled with hate, idiocy, and bullshit. that is what has become of free speech. fucking idiots with a bullhorn. half of the world are idiots. it's unfortunate that those are the idiots who use and espouse free speech the most.

free speech and civility should go hand in hand. free speech without civility is just non-sense bullshit with the sole purpose of pissing off people. it's more "hey look at me" than a civilized, respectful exchange of ideas.

half of the world has below average IQ, always have and always will.  Back in the day, the village idiot's opinion was limited to their village, and usually when they spoke people just shook their heads and walked away. Now all the village idiots are on Twitter.

Just now, MAROON said:

half of the world has below average IQ, always have and always will.  Back in the day, the village idiot's opinion was limited to their village, and usually when they spoke people just shook their heads and walked away. Now all the village idiots are on Twitter.

we've gotten better. we elect them into office.

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

18 minutes ago, MAROON said:

16 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

we've gotten better. we elect them into office.

A lot of this.  Nothing wrong with being of below-median intelligence -- half of all humans are.

The biggest shift has been that idiots have convinced themselves that they are smart, AND they have a literal worldwide mouthpiece available to them.  And, those outlets are often designed to amplify the most outrageous, attention-grabbing stuff.  Smart people don't usually say much like that, because reality is generally boring and in shades of grey.  The guy who says "all politicians are lizard people who want to eat your babies in a casserole!"???  Well.....that's interesting.  That gets eyeballs.

29 minutes ago, DallasGatr said:

Sounds like the great “Brother Jed”. He was an absolute showman and always an immediate stop down for me and many of my fellow Gators. He plied his trade with his concubine “Sister Cindy” who while somewhat entertaining, did not possess nearly the charisma of Jed.

It was a proud moment for me when he rated Florida number 2 in the nation in the number of “HO-MO-sexuals. (Behind only Minnesota.) Obviously it was a time when any Gator top-10 ranking was appreciated.

It was funny when these people did their little routine on campus.  Not so funny when they start winning elections.

3 hours ago, Js1 said:

Oh go jerk off somewhere else.  JFC. 

He brings up a valid point. It’s one thing to shout down hate speech. It’s another thing to infiltrate and shut down a speaker because you don’t agree with their politics.

This isn’t unique to Texas. The Yale law students went and shut down a “free speech forum” because the law school invited a religious conservative to debate an atheist liberal because they didn’t like the politics of one of the speakers. I guess the irony of a free speech forum being shut down because they didn’t agree with one side’s speech was lost on them. Rational debate is all but gone in this day and age.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, crash_davis said:

I was faster then...

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Fall of 1962 - my freshman year - walking up from the Drag I noticed a couple lying on top of concrete balustrade at the Student Union entrance. Fully clothed, the dude was banging away at the chick who had her skirt hiked up enough to provide him access. Dozens of other students walking by pretended not to notice, but I, being an uncouth freshman dweeb, gawked a bit before heading on to class.

I have often wondered which Surlyites are descended  from those two public fuckers.

6 hours ago, DaggerHorns said:

This hasn’t existed for years.

Different points of view are no longer respected or allowed. New generations cancel anyone that goes against the grain whether right, wrong, agree, disagree, etc.

New generations are known for killing the 1st amendment right.

“I Disapprove of What You Say, But I Will Defend to the Death Your Right to Say It”

While I respect the view of anyone or anything, I may not like it but I will not ever be in a position to disallow it.

I always loved UT for the difference in perspectives and the freedom of thought. Sadly, I certainly don’t see the same occurring in this day and age.

You know, when you say something that someone thinks is stupid, and they tell you that what you said was stupid? That's not them infringing on your right to free speech, that's them exercising theirs. Even if they're yelling.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3

53 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

When was this a thing. I was there during early to mid 2000s and don't remember this at all. Although if it wasn't beer, weed, books, or putting out I didn't pay much attention back in those days

When I was there in the late 90’s, the young conservatives and la raza were always going back and forth on the west mall.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, horn4life said:

I guess I could go and check it out myself, But if I am heading downtown it's for music or food and not the West Mall.  But I am just curious if that is still the case? One of the things I always like about UT was that every point of view (no matter how crazy or stupid) was allowed, though not necessarily embraced.  I stepped on campus in '79, and with so many smaller organized groups today than then I wondered about the dynamics of the West Mall.

This is a topic I have been thinking about a while, because more and more often speakers are shouted down,  or organized against to the point where they are "uninvited."  One of the very best classes I took at UT was a logic class.  The speakers were varied, all were very convinced their point of view was correct, and usually their positions were eloquently presented.  The spectrum went from Madeline Murray O'Hair to some General whose name I cannot recall.  Listening, ESPECIALLY to a point of view I disagreed with, made me think!  

It was very interesting to break down the varying arguments and understand where their point of view differed or was flawed, usually based on the basic premises of the argument, and not all the effervescent details of deep thought they presented during their presentations.  I still have no problem in engaging in serious (sometimes heated) debate.  Usually I end up shutting the arguments down with either a hand shake or a head shake (if you don't know facts). 

I was mainly just curious about whether the West Mall is still a place where you can voice your opinion freely, even if I personally think it's stupid as shit?

Try the Cloak Room

I remember a few heated debates out there in the late 90's, but nothing terribly memorable for shock value.  

As stated above, there is just as much political passion and activity but I think it's channeled different nowadays.  There are still people, in this day and age of viral videos, who want to be seen getting in people's faces and visibly upsetting them by spouting their "point of view."  That's been going on since the dawn of Man, don't really see it changing anytime.  But I am fairly confident there are other factors at play in what I perceive as kind of the "dampening of discourse" in person at UT-Austin.  

A lot has switched on online/social media.  The campus is more diverse in terms of demography, hometown, ideology, and more important-more diverse in thought.  They're just used to hearing and seeing different shit.  It's a combination of a lot of factors---Top 10% (now 6%), throttling down legacy admissions, expanding non-traditional major enrollments like College of Fine Arts and the Hicks School of Social Work.  Also---decreasing greek life engagement, UT-Austin becoming more attractive for PhD candidates to come and teach, remote learning for underserved areas and older professionals, robust scholarship direct from the Tower to bring in more underserved populations, more community engagement with Austin-at-Large, and a deep effort by the Tower (over the last 15 years) to launch more inter-disciplinary/collaborative Centers & Initiatives that foster opportunities for "soft" major students to engage with "hard skill" major students where they can all learn more critical thinking, breadth and scope, and across traditional educational boundaries.  This cannot be overstated.  It started with Faulkner, really took shape under Powers, and is now hitting warp speed under Hartzell.  Their whole focus is study what you love and want to do in life, and in the meantime---your brain should fucking hurt from exposure to other ways of thinking and other ways of study.  It's only to get more broad as Austin, and the whole state of Texas, continue to evolve.  If you're not frequently uncomfortable in college, you're not preparing yourself and wasting money.  

This is an example I think of often when legacy families ask me about where UT, even the whole System, is headed.  Just anecdotal, but it speaks to my more macro experiences on campus.  Adjunct Lecturing in FIN 374S right before Covid-19.  Wanting to use the hip lingo, opened with "We're discussing blah, blah, blah today in VC and PE spaces.  Big part of that is Capital Markets, where the equity comes from for these businesses.  You may recognize the term 'capital' which is getting a bad rap these days as the root word of 'capitalism', so trigger warning."  Few sideways looks from some students.  Right on schedule, I get the usual question about the evils of capitalism and capital markets and predatory investing, etc.  I lay out the case for why capitalism stinks, but has lifted more people out of x, y, z.  And I tell them about all the case competitions I judge at UT, and the day comes they ask me to judge the "Venture Socialism" or "Private Sharing" competitions, I'll be happy to do it.  And I move onto to the finance portion, and measuring IRR on ESG funds versus just donating to charity with the writeoff and gala award, etc.  Well I get some more sideways looks.  But afterwards, the student that asked me about why capitalism has to be focus of finance and why equity can't be more equitable.....he contacts me later and said his whole group talked it over and realized that's the tack they wanted to take with their startup after all (to be more capitalist focused and scale their model to help more under with more growth and more capital).  He ended up becoming a mentee of mine for a few years and is now being incubated at Johns Hopkins and we talk monthly.  He got it because he opened up his mind and didn't listen to stupid and that skill cuts in all directions.  

I bet the political divide is about the same as it's always been, it's just that they're not as divided as we are because they understand there is value in thinking.  Drown out the bullshit, quit lying to yourself, certainly cut out the biased crap, and listen to what works.  And most of it doesn't, so cut us a new path forward.  I know the student body doesn't look like it did when most of us went there, but I assure you---it's so much sharper, regardless of politics, because they know empowered stupid when they see it.  

Serious idea---let's do a Surly happy hour towards end of semester on campus.  99% of my students are over 21 so I'll host "office hours" at Gabriel's or UT Club when many students will come by and discuss job offers/grad school news.  Get a handful of y'all to come by and also provide insight in your industries and experience, and mainly just listen.  They are not opposed to "free speech" or "jaded by indoctrination."  You'll see that in a heartbeat.  They're so beyond our bullshit and so well-equipped to take on the world in ways we couldn't possibly fathom screaming at cable news in our recliners.  

Edited by Lobo

7 hours ago, DaggerHorns said:

This hasn’t existed for years.

Different points of view are no longer respected or allowed. New generations cancel anyone that goes against the grain whether right, wrong, agree, disagree, etc.

New generations are known for killing the 1st amendment right.

“I Disapprove of What You Say, But I Will Defend to the Death Your Right to Say It”

While I respect the view of anyone or anything, I may not like it but I will not ever be in a position to disallow it.

I always loved UT for the difference in perspectives and the freedom of thought. Sadly, I certainly don’t see the same occurring in this day and age.

Wow these two who gave your post the bird must be really fun posters.  They hate free speech so much that you aren't even allowed to have an opinion about free speech.  How does this trigger the kids of today so much?

Capture.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 3

8 hours ago, horn4life said:

no people tend to put their stupid thoughts on the daily texan

Edited by Michael Knight