2022 Summer Season: Flavor-Aid (Strength: Prison Wine)

BurntOrange&White

2 hours ago, Red Five said:

You know what would help our mental health? Fielding a defense and not losing to Kansas. 

All kidding aside, there is a lot of truth to this. These kids endure a lot of crap and I don't think the blows are lessened by being compensated via NIL. I don't think the kids in our program will be psychologically crushed if we don't win the national title or the Big 12. They know what kind of team we really have. But bizarre losses like the one to Kansas, and all of the public humiliation that comes with that, really hits these young men hard.

Sark is in control of much of this. He can ad players from the portal at key positions to bolster the team. He can call plays that suit our players and not a system. He can hire the proper coaches and not retain coaches that have obviously failed down to an unacceptable level. It is very difficult to square Sark caring about the mental health of our players with the decisions he makes. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Crossing posting from the transfer portal thread

Poster on 247 who attended a luncheon in San Antonio that Sarkisian spoke at. 

*I believe one of the WR's he's referencing is Hall since he isn't officially signed yet*

"Sark was the keynote speaker at a luncheon for the San Antonio Quarterback Club today at the San Antonio Country Club. We had the honor of listening to him speak for an hour. As he was addressing each position room, he said we are expecting 2 more additions to the WR room via the portal. He’s bullish on the young OT’s coming in and there’s a brand new NCAA rule that allows coaches on the field and to provide instruction during summer workouts which is going to be critical for the young OT coming in. Sounds like he foresees two starting from the get go. Touched on the QB competition for a bit. I get the sense that Quinn is his guy. Most of the questions from the audience revolves around NIL and the transfer portal."

• Hook 'Em 6

7 hours ago, JFKFC said:

All kidding aside, there is a lot of truth to this. These kids endure a lot of crap and I don't think the blows are lessened by being compensated via NIL. I don't think the kids in our program will be psychologically crushed if we don't win the national title or the Big 12. They know what kind of team we really have. But bizarre losses like the one to Kansas, and all of the public humiliation that comes with that, really hits these young men hard.

Sark is in control of much of this. He can ad players from the portal at key positions to bolster the team. He can call plays that suit our players and not a system. He can hire the proper coaches and not retain coaches that have obviously failed down to an unacceptable level. It is very difficult to square Sark caring about the mental health of our players with the decisions he makes. 

@Mr Shrimp Unlimited Can we get your thoughts on this please?

8 hours ago, JFKFC said:

I read this post and realized I will never get that time back as I get closer to death.  Thanks mother fucker.   

What a jackass 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3
  • Haha 4

Issues that Georgia and Clemson and Alabama don’t have to deal with.

Where Steve Sarkisian says he failed in his first season as Texas head coach

ByJEFF HOWE 8 hours ago

SAN ANTONIO, Texas — Texas head coach Steve Sarkisian took stock of what’s different about the Longhorns compared to one year ago while addressing the burnt orange faithful on the first leg of the Texas Fight Tour on Monday at The Rustic in San Antonio. A six-game losing streak in Sarkisian’s debut marked the longest in-season skid on the Forty Acres since 1956, an unsavory stretch that ended when Texas cobbled a 22-17 win over Kansas State together in the season finale and one the head coach said is partially rooted in how he failed to manage the offseason with the team between facilities.

The Longhorns didn’t move into the newly-renovated Moncrief Athletic Center until August, forcing Sarkisian and his staff to conduct business in the north end zone of Royal-Texas Memorial Stadium in the interim. What everyone in the program missed out on due to the setup, Sarkisian said, was the ability to form the relationships critical to establishing a culture that appeared fragile, to say the least, as the losses piled up.

“We had eight months and if you really, really want to critique a program, you have to look at that program from A to Z,” Sarkisian said. “Where I failed, quite frankly, in our program, is I failed and connecting with our team and our team connecting with one another at this time last year. Why and how did that happen? We were in the north end zone. I was on the seventh floor, up in a cubicle. Our players were down in the visiting locker room. We would meet as a team on the eighth floor of the concourse on the north end zone where that big bar is. You know where the Tito's sign is? (Where) the Deep Eddy sign is? That was right behind me with a pop-up screen and our players were in card table chairs. Then, the position coaches met with their players in the suites on the eighth floor. We didn't have a natural place to really connect with our players and I failed in that spot because I didn't generate enough opportunity for our team to grow as one. That's what culture is, right? That's what we're talking about and that has to grow organically.”

With 33 new scholarship players expected to be in the fold by the time Texas begins summer workouts (Sarkisian said that number could get as high as 35 by the time the dust settles), part of the building the culture has simply been roster turnover with Sarkisian and Co. bringing in players they’ve evaluated, recruited and who’ve presumably bought into the current regime’s vision. Sarkisian thanked the donors in the crowd who helped contribute to the long-awaited overhaul of the football facility, adding that he’s seen how much the stability has helped the day-to-day functions within the program and streamlined the process of becoming the kind of team that can leave a five-win season in the rearview mirror.

“I see our players every day,” Sarkisian said. “I eat with our players for breakfast every morning. They're upstairs in my office. The weight room, the training room, the locker room, it's all connected as one. The player(s) lounge — they don't go anywhere. They're connected as a team. So, naturally, when we take the field, man, you just feel a sense of accountability. A sense of, 'I want to do it not for me, I want to do it for the guy next to me because I know how hard he's working. I know what he's putting into the program.' With all that being said, that's the key to the drill. And we're doing it with a lot of new faces.”

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Where Steve Sarkisian says he failed in his first season as Texas head coach

ByJEFF HOWE 8 hours ago

SAN ANTONIO, Texas — Texas head coach Steve Sarkisian took stock of what’s different about the Longhorns compared to one year ago while addressing the burnt orange faithful on the first leg of the Texas Fight Tour on Monday at The Rustic in San Antonio. A six-game losing streak in Sarkisian’s debut marked the longest in-season skid on the Forty Acres since 1956, an unsavory stretch that ended when Texas cobbled a 22-17 win over Kansas State together in the season finale and one the head coach said is partially rooted in how he failed to manage the offseason with the team between facilities.

The Longhorns didn’t move into the newly-renovated Moncrief Athletic Center until August, forcing Sarkisian and his staff to conduct business in the north end zone of Royal-Texas Memorial Stadium in the interim. What everyone in the program missed out on due to the setup, Sarkisian said, was the ability to form the relationships critical to establishing a culture that appeared fragile, to say the least, as the losses piled up.

“We had eight months and if you really, really want to critique a program, you have to look at that program from A to Z,” Sarkisian said. “Where I failed, quite frankly, in our program, is I failed and connecting with our team and our team connecting with one another at this time last year. Why and how did that happen? We were in the north end zone. I was on the seventh floor, up in a cubicle. Our players were down in the visiting locker room. We would meet as a team on the eighth floor of the concourse on the north end zone where that big bar is. You know where the Tito's sign is? (Where) the Deep Eddy sign is? That was right behind me with a pop-up screen and our players were in card table chairs. Then, the position coaches met with their players in the suites on the eighth floor. We didn't have a natural place to really connect with our players and I failed in that spot because I didn't generate enough opportunity for our team to grow as one. That's what culture is, right? That's what we're talking about and that has to grow organically.”

With 33 new scholarship players expected to be in the fold by the time Texas begins summer workouts (Sarkisian said that number could get as high as 35 by the time the dust settles), part of the building the culture has simply been roster turnover with Sarkisian and Co. bringing in players they’ve evaluated, recruited and who’ve presumably bought into the current regime’s vision. Sarkisian thanked the donors in the crowd who helped contribute to the long-awaited overhaul of the football facility, adding that he’s seen how much the stability has helped the day-to-day functions within the program and streamlined the process of becoming the kind of team that can leave a five-win season in the rearview mirror.

“I see our players every day,” Sarkisian said. “I eat with our players for breakfast every morning. They're upstairs in my office. The weight room, the training room, the locker room, it's all connected as one. The player(s) lounge — they don't go anywhere. They're connected as a team. So, naturally, when we take the field, man, you just feel a sense of accountability. A sense of, 'I want to do it not for me, I want to do it for the guy next to me because I know how hard he's working. I know what he's putting into the program.' With all that being said, that's the key to the drill. And we're doing it with a lot of new faces.”

No mention of PK hire and piss poor defensive recruiting/transfer portal mgmt? I could add some other failures to Steve’s list beyond just “I didn’t connect with players”. 
We will see a lot of games like last year’s OU game. Big offensive outputs that result in a loss as D gets no pressure and gives in. 

• Hook 'Em 4

3 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

It’s really surprising that Sarkisian didn’t say in a public interview that he failed in his first year because of his defensive coordinator and not getting enough defensive transfers. Just an absolutely shocking lack of accountability. My jaw hit the floor when I read that article.

Looking forward to hearing some detailed analysis from JFCKC so I find out what is really going on.

Agreed, it's best instead to look at all the corrective actions he's taken on the Defensive side of the ball. I've gone ahead and listed them out here:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Rage+1 1

9 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

Agreed, it's best instead to look at all the corrective actions he's taken on the Defensive side of the ball. I've gone ahead and listed them out here:

Ha, not disagreeing. Although he did mention several adjustments they made defensively:

“I’m an aggressive-minded guy in play-calling, attacking style, the types of players we recruit,” Sarkisian said. “And we were just too passive.”

Sarkisian said Texas played too much zone coverage last season and is committed to playing more man coverage.

“We had to shift a little bit in what we did,” Sarkisian said. “So we moved our starting nickel Anthony Cook to free safety into the boundary. We took Kitan Crawford, who was a corner, and moved him to our field safety. We moved Jahdae Barron, who was a corner, and moved him to nickel.

“Why did we do that? So we can play more man-to-man coverage. I need more people on the field that can defend all these receivers in the Big 12. So, we want to be more aggressive. We want to play more man-to-man. We want to have more of an attacking style up front defensively.”

Sarkisian mentioned that hiring defensive-minded former TCU coach Gary Patterson as a special assistant has helped in making the shift under second-year defensive coordinator Pete Kwiatkowski.

“And, oh, by the way, we added a guy from Fort Worth who I think has helped a little bit in coach Gary Patterson,” Sarkisian said. “That’s been a good addition as well. So defensively, we’re gonna be more attacking. We can play more aggressive, tighter coverage and try to nullify the run better with an extra hat in the box.”

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Ha, not disagreeing. Although he did mention several adjustments they made defensively:

“I’m an aggressive-minded guy in play-calling, attacking style, the types of players we recruit,” Sarkisian said. “And we were just too passive.”

Sarkisian said Texas played too much zone coverage last season and is committed to playing more man coverage.

“We had to shift a little bit in what we did,” Sarkisian said. “So we moved our starting nickel Anthony Cook to free safety into the boundary. We took Kitan Crawford, who was a corner, and moved him to our field safety. We moved Jahdae Barron, who was a corner, and moved him to nickel.

“Why did we do that? So we can play more man-to-man coverage. I need more people on the field that can defend all these receivers in the Big 12. So, we want to be more aggressive. We want to play more man-to-man. We want to have more of an attacking style up front defensively.”

Sarkisian mentioned that hiring defensive-minded former TCU coach Gary Patterson as a special assistant has helped in making the shift under second-year defensive coordinator Pete Kwiatkowski.

“And, oh, by the way, we added a guy from Fort Worth who I think has helped a little bit in coach Gary Patterson,” Sarkisian said. “That’s been a good addition as well. So defensively, we’re gonna be more attacking. We can play more aggressive, tighter coverage and try to nullify the run better with an extra hat in the box.”

I'm gruntled.

There are a whole lotta boomers in here worried that the program is becoming too woke talking about things like mental health. You're out of your mind if you think only losing programs deal with this stuff. 

• Hook 'Em 3

On 5/9/2022 at 11:23 AM, JFKFC said:

wait a minute.... is it really as easy as that?...You need a player at a key position so  coach is supposed to be able to go out and get them?....Is any team able to do that? I know Caleb Williams went to USC, but he was following his coach. I thought the players in the portal were the ones that couldnt crack the lineup where they were. Has any Portal guy turned in an AA season at the new place? I understand what you are saying....I just dont agree  it is that easy.

• Hook 'Em 1

27 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

If I knew Galindo was going to be there I would have gone so I could have socked him in his mother fucking jaw.

You would have cowered like a little bitch. 

Especially when one or more of the former players who are cool with Galindo come over to beat your ass

18 hours ago, David Dennison said:

Being in the stadium for the crowd reaction was allsome.

We kicked the shit out of them that night.

It was cold. There was a Mexican (correct nomenclature is "Hispanic-American, Dude" fan in front of me wearing coveralls with Coors Lights jammed up both sleeves. He was "well-lubricated" all evening. In response to Tech fans throwing tortillas, he yelled "Make 'em eat beans!" throughout the evening.

1 hour ago, oldhorn2 said:

I understand what you are saying....I just dont agree  it is that easy.

This is well hashed-out material, and many people disagree with me, but here goes.....

I don't expect Texas to be able to find o-linemen or d-linemen in the portal that will be AA or high draft picks. Still, there is a lot of room between many of the people we will start and AA. It is reasonable to think we could get veteran players that would be an improvement for us on both lines. Baylor did a lot of things to help them go from 2 wins to conference champions. I am not saying their portal additions were the entire reason for their improvement...but...the portal o-linemen and d-linemen they added were important pieces in their 1-season turnaround. I would like to have seen Texas take a shot at doing the same.

Also, I am very open to the idea that I am 100% wrong. Sark seems very confident that 2 or 3 freshmen o-linemen will be able to contribute right away in a meaningful capacity. He is a millionaire because of football and I am just some guy trying to pay his bills. However, I was very open about my concerns before last season and we went 5-7. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Hermanator said:

You would have cowered like a little bitch. 

Especially when one or more of the former players who are cool with Galindo come over to beat your ass

I can count on no hands how many former players are "cool" with Galindo. You think because they sit across from him on LHN shows that that makes them friends? 

• Hook 'Em 4

7 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

How dare you!!!  Sark didn't call a special press conference to call PK names and fire him for all to see, then immediately order Red McCombs to make a call to Will Anderson and get his ass in the portal for a sweet NIL deal.  Anything short of those two things is a fireable offense for Sark.  

2 hours ago, Eggo said:

I can count on no hands how many former players are "cool" with Galindo. You think because they sit across from him on LHN shows that that makes them friends? 

You guys are retarded. You think they'll just stand and watch some random idiot walk up and attack him? 

Not to mention you old fucks couldn't take down a 15 yr old girl but by all means go to an event and punch Galindo because the viral videos would be hilarious. 

• BurntOrange&White changed the title to 2022 Summer Season: Flavor-Aid (Strength: Prison Wine)
  • immamac locked this topic
  • immamac unlocked this topic