2022 Summer Season: Flavor-Aid (Strength: Prison Wine)

BurntOrange&White

57 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Agree with all this. Overshown was just as bad as Brockermeyer last year but people see him flash every few games and it skews perception. Like you said, he has the athleticism to do stuff LB’s shouldn’t be able to do, but the mundane stuff that all LB’s should be able to do wasn’t clicking fully. He ran himself out of so many plays. I don’t think he possesses the ability to short through the pile and find ball carriers, which is why the move to more of an edge like well will likely unlock some of what we’ve been hoping to see from him the last few years.

Great post...

Scipio was extremely critical of Overshown's consistency last year as well.  At times shows up and makes big splash plays, but often was terrible on basic LB plays.  

Hopefully it all comes together for DeMarvion in 2022, and he busts out with a great season for Texas.  

5 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

OL: Andrej Karic (LT), Junior Angilau (LG), Jake Majors (C), Hayden Conner (RG), Christian Jones (RT) / Kelvin Banks (LT), Cole Hutson (RG), Junior Angilau (C), Sawyer Goram-Welch(RG), Cam Williams (RT)

DE: Moro Ojomo, Barryn Sorrell
NT: Keondre Coburn, Byron Murphy
DT: Alfred Collins, T’Vondre Sweat
Buck: Ovie Oghoufo, Jett Bush

Just quoting this in case anyone goes a little too hard on Kool Aid.

For the bolded, specifically:

blink-182 wtf GIF

7 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Just quoting this in case anyone goes a little too hard on Kool Aid.

For the bolded, specifically:

blink-182 wtf GIF

I think they did a poor job of framing what their intent was, but I believe they were just presenting what the DC would look like before the practices, therefore the guys that weren't here in the spring wouldn't be on the two-deep until at least one workout. 

I hope that is what they were doing, because there isn't a chance in hell that SGW is ahead of Campbell and others by La Monroe. 

I also enjoyed the part where they listed Hudson Card first. @closetohumping no doubt popped a chubby. In reality, I expect Seven Loss Steve to name Ewers the starter after the first scrimmage. He doesn't need to wait, as Card isn't going anywhere, and he can end the charade so everyone can get on the same page quickly. As well, Ewers didn't get hooked up for a lot of NIL support to sit on the sidelines while Hudson Card throws pick sixes with his panicked eyes bugging out against Bama.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 4
  • Rage+1 1

3 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I think they did a poor job of framing what their intent was, but I believe they were just presenting what the DC would look like before the practices, therefore the guys that weren't here in the spring wouldn't be on the two-deep until at least one workout. 

I hope that is what they were doing, because there isn't a chance in hell that SGW is ahead of Campbell and others by La Monroe. 

I also enjoyed the part where they listed Hudson Card first. @closetohumping no doubt popped a chubby. In reality, I expect Seven Loss Steve to name Ewers the starter after the first scrimmage. He doesn't need to wait, as Card isn't going anywhere, and he can end the charade so everyone can get on the same page quickly. As well, Ewers didn't get hooked up for a lot of NIL support to sit on the sidelines while Hudson Card throws pick sixes with his panicked eyes bugging out against Bama.

I'd imagine they're doing the old school "freshmen/newcomers have to earn their spot" bit. It is as old as football itself. They just don't even have the bodies to even pretend at tackle. It was funny seeing SGW's name, one I hadn't heard in a long time. The DL and OT situations still profile as pretty ugly unless some established guys raise their level of play pretty significantly though.

What are you talking about - there's totally a legit QB competition!1!1!1!

9 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Look, I'm a gentleman and I realize we're both Longhorn fans first, gamblers second.  So, I'm willing to let you out of the bet.  This has nothing to do with Handsome Hudson throwing an ugly pick 6 his first pass.

• Haha 4

3 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Look, I'm a gentleman and I realize we're both Longhorn fans first, gamblers second.  So, I'm willing to let you out of the bet.  This has nothing to do with Handsome Hudson throwing an ugly pick 6 his first pass.

Sir, I have already added the $1000 you're giving me to my September budget. I need it to cover the costs of escargot and caviar in the back half of the month.

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

2 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Sir, I have already added the $1000 you're giving me to my September budget. I need it to cover the costs of escargot and caviar in the back half of the month.

I know a fish monger that can get you some eggs on the cheap.  

What was our payment plan anyway?  Just venmo @immamac?

3 hours ago, FreeHorn said:

Bo is going to have to earn his salary and find a way to keep Sweat and Collins’ motor running. Those two with Murphy would change a lot of thoughts for this defense. Ford and Dorsey are upgrades at LB because we honestly had the worst LB in the Big 12. 

how old is Ojomo now?

He’s 13. He’s like Benjamin Button

If Hudson Card is named the starter for game 1, the entire board will realize that the burnt orange IT kool-aide they've been drinking was spiked harder than the shit at Jonestown.  But at least that kool-aide ended quickly with death.  This shit just makes you vomit mediocrity and false hope for 10 more years.

3 minutes ago, NoRagrets said:

If Hudson Card is named the starter for game 1, the entire board will realize that the burnt orange IT kool-aide they've been drinking was spiked harder than the shit at Jonestown.  But at least that kool-aide ended quickly with death.  This shit just makes you vomit mediocrity and false hope for 10 more years.

I am conflicted. I dont want to see that happen, but God I would love to see the Surly meltdown if it did. 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, NoRagrets said:

I've always assumed Card would start game 1 and QE would play a lot in the 2nd half when the game is out of hand. Then Card would start our unwinnable game 2. Of course, he will look terrible. Anyone would behind our o-line. QE will again play a good bit in the 2nd half when Bama no longer cares and he will look better than Card. QE then starts the rest of the year. 

• Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, JFKFC said:

I've always assumed Card would start game 1 and QE would play a lot in the 2nd half when the game is out of hand. Then Card would start our unwinnable game 2. Of course, he will look terrible. Anyone would behind our o-line. QE will again play a good bit in the 2nd half when Bama no longer cares and he will look better than Card. QE then starts the rest of the year. 

No I think he'll probably want to go with the better QB from the jump, as opposed to the guy they were scared to death to play last year, to the point that they went with an injured Casey Thompson instead. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, JFKFC said:

no-let-me-think.gif

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, JFKFC said:

https://www.pff.com/news/draft-2022-nfl-draft-disappointing-college-football-draft-prospects-2021-spencer-rattler-kedon-slovis

LB DEMARVION OVERSHOWN, TEXAS

Overshown already had a hill to climb as a mold-breaker type of linebacker, as very few 6-foot-4 and 223-pound guys have been able to stick it at linebacker in the NFL.

Unsurprisingly, the physicality of playing between the tackles has been an issue for him this season. He’s missed seven tackles on 39 attempts and earned a putrid 43.9 run-defense grade. While his length still plays in coverage, he’d be a liability as a traditional linebacker in the NFL today.

This one is par for the course. I say he has his issues, but give him some credit. That must have been like the Bat Signal for you to run in and shit on a player. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Red Five said:

No I think he'll probably want to go with the better QB from the jump, as opposed to the guy they were scared to death to play last year, to the point that they went with an injured Casey Thompson instead. 

I will so happy to never hear this again. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I did this today elsewhere.. I thought this will make people sick

QBR rating for the Starter vs Top 50 defenses. 

ULL_ 93.6 QBR (50th)
Ark- 14.2 QBR (17th)
OSU- 18.4 QBR (#2)
Baylor- 77.1 (#14)
ISU- 2.8 (#22)
WV- 4.0 (#32)
KSU- 79.2 (#16)

• Hook 'Em 1

30 minutes ago, Red Five said:

No I think he'll probably want to go with the better QB from the jump, 

Card will likely appear to be the better QB from the jump. I hope not...but...I think this is what Sark will do. 

27 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

This one is par for the course. I say he has his issues, but give him some credit. That must have been like the Bat Signal for you to run in and shit on a player. 

I will not hesitate to shit on DO. He was terrible last year and will be a liability again this year. Keep praising him. I know that makes you feel better. 

9 minutes ago, JFKFC said:

Card will likely appear to be the better QB from the jump. I hope not...but...I think this is what Sark will do. 

I will not hesitate to shit on DO. He was terrible last year and will be a liability again this year. Keep praising him. I know that makes you feel better. 

I didnt praise him. 

Overshown is one of the most talented LBs in the country. He hasnt put it together or stayed healthy,  but the talent is there. I have said that the faults compounded the poor play. There wasnt a group on defense that made anyone better. It was a negative multiplier.

doesnt seem like high praise

Overshown has shown he can play in space, he can blitz, and if sees ball and chases ball he is good. 

I have consistently criticized his ability to make timely reads, that said we have to give him some credit. 

again that is not a ton of praise. 

IF all that  looks like uncalled for praise to you, than why be a fan? It clearly can not give you any joy. The only joy you seem to find is shitting on players, which is pretty odd way of expressing yourself as a Texas fan. Perhaps it is my fault, I tend to forget we are in the internet where players are either the greatest or complete shit and anything in between is a ridiculous statement. 

Edited by Codaxx

53 minutes ago, JFKFC said:

Star Wars Disney Plus GIF by Disney+

1 hour ago, JFKFC said:

Same here.  This seems as logical as anything I can think of per the balancing act of everyone involved.

Won't even go into the Card side of the ledger because it's a known quantity. As for Ewers: competed and exceled at highest level of TX HSFB as an underclassman, generational arm talent, one of three QBs with perfect composite rating, exudes confidence, "gunslinger" reputation (see point re confidence), strong pocket presence. By first kickoff, will have 3 camps at the NCAA level under his belt, plus hands-on coaching by Sark, et. al. this summer to help further accelerate his familiarity with our system.

Even if he's slightly behind Card on playbook/system, it shouldn't be by much. Ewers is the textbook "high ceiling" play in all other categories. This year is pivotal for Sark and has to know he has to swing for the fences beginning the starting pitch (i.e., Week 1) in general, and on the offensive side specifically given known deficiencies on the other.

And haven't even mentioned the backdrop of how Quinn got to UT in the first place. If there's even a modicum of truth to the Double Eagle NIL war and resulting package, given that and all of the above, I don't see any way Card starts a game this year (absent colossal QE faceplant, or injury). 

• Hook 'Em 2

19 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

The only joy you seem to find is shitting on players, which is pretty odd way of expressing yourself as a Texas fan 

We have many incredible players. I value them. So much so, that I am very frustrated when liabilities are not replaced via the transfer portal and our elite players have crap seasons for this reason. I have high hopes for DTD. I wish we had brought in another contributor at LB via the TP. 

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

I’m expecting BOTH guys to throw pick 6s vs Bama.

🤷🏼‍♂️ 

1 hour ago, Codaxx said:

I am conflicted. I dont want to see that happen, but God I would love to see the Surly meltdown if it did. 

How about no?!

The Revenge of Shawn Watson- Notre Dame game in Charlie's second season nearly killed my support/interest for Texas Football. I can't go through it yet again.

• Rage+1 1

7 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Same here.  This seems as logical as anything I can think of per the balancing act of everyone involved.

What "balancing act" are you referring to? Keeping Card in the boat? I fail to see how throwing him the bone of starting the first two games keeps him onboard for the 2023 season. Is riding the bench for ~8 games supposed to give him the confidence to he can compete for 2023 starter, while riding it for ~10 games wouldn't?

If the "balancing act" is throwing him that bone so he remains engaged enough to be a competent backup if called upon, I suppose that's more understandable (even if I wouldn't think the bone is worth the marrow). Though if he truly wants to be the 2023 starter for a P5 program post-transfer, personal interests alone should motivate that. 

49 minutes ago, JFKFC said:

You drinking already? 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, derpyhorndog said:

What "balancing act" are you referring to? Keeping Card in the boat? I fail to see how throwing him the bone of starting the first two games keeps him onboard for the 2023 season. Is riding the bench for ~8 games supposed to give him the confidence to he can compete for 2023 starter, while riding it for ~10 games wouldn't?

If the "balancing act" is throwing him that bone so he remains engaged enough to be a competent backup if called upon, I suppose that's more understandable (even if I wouldn't think the bone is worth the marrow). Though if he truly wants to be the 2023 starter for a P5 program post-transfer, personal interests alone should motivate that. 

I was just speaking to Sark having to balance fan expectations, NIL bigwigs who helped get QE here, player expectations, and, ultimately, what is best for the team.  I guess I'm saying there's a lot of extraneous aspects to the decision.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

I was just speaking to Sark having to balance fan expectations, NIL bigwigs who helped get QE here, player expectations, and, ultimately, what is best for the team.  I guess I'm saying there's a lot of extraneous aspects to the decision.

All of those weigh towards QE starting Week 1, IMO, though point taken/understood. 

• Hook 'Em 2

50 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Completely agree.  Just wondering how much suffering Sark is comfortable with per Ewers against Bama.

There will be about a half a quarter while it's a close game that will be good for him if he can come out of it healthy. Hudson can have the 4th quarter to refine his game. And his game is pretty much trying to escape to the right, not keeping his eyes downfield, and making either an ill-advised throw over the middle or running out of bounds a yard and half from the sticks.

1 minute ago, closetojumping said:

Everyone is writing the Bama game off as a major blowout. The game is at home. Texas has elite offensive talent and an elite offensive playcaller. They're not spending the offseason working up an approach to Louisiana Monroe. Bama basically sucked on the road last year. 

This Bama game is going to be a prime opportunity for "Why Texas Stomps a Mudhole In Alabama's Ass" treatise, and you all are going to fucking deserve it.

But what if they win and then lose 6 in a row again? 

• Haha 4
  • Rage+1 1