2022 Summer Season: Flavor-Aid (Strength: Prison Wine)

BurntOrange&White

10 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

Well, I’m going off of 9.95 reports that Patterson and PK think the scheme was not the issue and it’s all a personnel issue. I think even Sark said as much in a press conference. 

They also said they were planning on deploying the secondary differently since they got guys with more length like Watts (and Brooks). As a matter of fact LHN interviewed Terry Joseph on signing day and he said they were planning on deploying some different coverages compared to last year based on what they added.

They will also get to go back to the tradition 2-4-5 look instead of the 3-4 we had to switch to halfway through the season because we didn’t have a damn sole on the roster who could set the edge after Jones went down.

Borh of those seem like fairly significant “strategy” changes to me and that’s without even seeing a game. I also wouldn’t expect 9.95ers or the coaches to come out and tell the world exactly what schematic adjustments are being made behind closed doors. Ole Miss and Durkin changed their entire damn scheme last offseason after an embarrassing 2020 performance and didn’t tell anyone til they rolled out the 3-3-5 flyover defense in the season opener.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 4

Your entire second paragraph was my point. They feel the scheme was not the issue. Arkansas raped, murdered and dumped PK’s lifeless 2-4-5 into a back alley Fayetteville dumpster and the reaction from everyone involved was “Gosh if we only had better players!”.  Not playing our safeties 50 yards off the line of scrimmage against a QB who couldn’t throw a forward pass, it was the lack of edge setting defensive lineman. I don’t have much confidence in PK figuring it out based on his last season’s adjustments. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Haha 1

10 wins certainly in play this year.   You negative Nancy fucksticks need to consider:
- We will be better on offense and improved on defense and benefit from a second year of a good staff.     One or two games improvement right there 
- The much bigger factor is what’s happened to the teams that beat us last year.   Baylor, ok st, and Iowa st graduated everyone.   Oklahoma got fucked by Riley with major turnover on the roster.    

- tcu and tech are breaking in new staffs which should help.  

- it’s a given we lose to bama and Kansas.   Maybe one other loss and we go 9-3 but 10-2 should be a realistic expectation.  

giphy.gif

how is it that we....THE University stumbles around looking for a coach like Diogenese with his lamp, and of all people....Baylor hits on 3 astonishingly great coaches in a row.??? Seems like it doesnt matter how bad of a situation , the coach comes in and has those Bible thumping rapists winning.....I dont get it.

I’ll take that bet. This team will be very lucky to go 8-5.
Why do you guys fall for this shit every year? Is 12-13 years in a row (save for the 2018 aberration) not enough to convince you? 

Bets taken so that’s part of my answer. I ain’t offering unlimited $100 bets. I threw it out there partly to juice up the board a bit.

I’ve stated throughout the board my optimism supported with some numbers and some rationale particularly on the Oline.

We have Bijan. We have Roschon. We have Worthy. We have Keilan. I believe our QB play will be improved. As poor as our record was last year, we were competitive in all but 1. Baylor and OSU will fall back.

The defense is hard to explain. But year 2 in the system. Patterson and Pete K have good track records. I believe the overall talent level was upgraded. They did flash at times to be a solid defense. And can they be any worse?

And I’m a fan. One that approaches each season ready to win.
  • Hook 'Em 1

52 minutes ago, oldhorn2 said:

how is it that we....THE University stumbles around looking for a coach like Diogenese with his lamp, and of all people....Baylor hits on 3 astonishingly great coaches in a row.??? Seems like it doesnt matter how bad of a situation , the coach comes in and has those Bible thumping rapists winning.....I dont get it.

The astonishingly great coach went 2-7 his first year, the previous astonishingly great coach went 1-11 the one before 4-8 2 years in a row, but tell us again how they came in winning.

• Hook 'Em 8

1 hour ago, Loop 1604 said:

My general theory is we will continue to suck until we take the stupidly redundant collar Longhorn off the jersey. Your move Nike.

Uniform instability is serious shit.  Look at tech basketball unis against duke. Tech lwas clearly the better team but they fucked it up down the stretch.    Duke unis looked tight and that was a clearly the difference in the game.  

1 hour ago, oldhorn2 said:

It's luck. 

2 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

They will also get to go back to the tradition 2-4-5 look instead of the 3-4 we had to switch to halfway through the season because we didn’t have a damn sole on the roster who could set the edge after Jones went down.

We were one foot away!

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

neither of which made appearances on the all-conference coaches teams

Multiple times, I've seen people here post things like, "With our incredible skill position talent, if our o-line could just be functional, if it could just be average, we could win 9 or 10 games." I agree with that sentiment. We don't need all-american or all-conference o-line play from potential transfer portal additions. Baylor didn't need it from their transfer portal linemen when they won the conference. I don't have unrealistic expectations that we will find future NFL 1st round picks in the portal. I just want functional o-linemen who can make our o-line average. If we roll out roughly the same o-line as last year (less our best o-linemen from last year who is now gone) we won't be close to an average college football offensive line. 

"So me and this other guy are big fans of the Longhorns. He says something like he thinks we're going to be good next year, and I'm like NO WAY and destroy him with a 12,000 word essay on why we're perpetually doomed, all our coaches are idiots, all our players suck, and how it will probably never change. Man, that guy is such an idiot."

FGDxjxaX0AguYiC.jpg

Spoiler

not directed at anyone in particular, just having fun

Edited by bad_teammate
  • Haha 3

8 hours ago, Michael Knight said:

The astonishingly great coach went 2-7 his first year, the previous astonishingly great coach went 1-11 the one before 4-8 2 years in a row, but tell us again how they came in winning.

These coaches all turned things around quickly at Baylor. Think about all of the scandals and madness that have happened in Waco. All of it deserved. Still, Baylor has won the Big 12 3 times since our last conference title in football. 

Look, Sark is a millionaire and I'm just another keyboard warrior. Perhaps he is right, and rolling out basically the same o-line and LBs this year that were atrocious last year will work out for us. I guess people like me should shut up and stop complaining about it. It seems to be happening no matter what.  

• Hook 'Em 2

These coaches all turned things around quickly at Baylor. Think about all of the scandals and madness that have happened in Waco. All of it deserved. Still, Baylor has won the Big 12 3 times since our last conference title in football. 
Look, Sark is a millionaire and I'm just another keyboard warrior. Perhaps he is right, and rolling out basically the same o-line and LBs this year that were atrocious last year will work out for us. I guess people like me should shut up and stop complaining about it. It seems to be happening no matter what.  

I should just give up but suppose I’m stubborn.

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ncaa/sp/overallol/2021

Somebody did some work here for you. Some of it is straight up stats, but some it takes out the impact of Bijan/Roschon too. Statistically that Oline only sucked on the Standard downs sack rate. Partly attributable to us, but we faced 4 of the top 20 guys in sacks. That does not include Bonitto another very good pass rusher. Off the top of my head, the QB only avoided 1 sack the whole damn year. Their two worst games were the first two. The first 3-4 drives versus ISU were killed because of a fumble and two or three crappy passes plus a QB run a yard short of the first.

Some of you ADHD punks remember the three worst plays per game and that’s the entirety of it. Go watch those long ass passes versus OU and notice how clean the pocket was on slow developing plays.

We will absolutely be more physically gifted next year and probably just about as experienced. It won’t be all world but if we get solid contributions from 1-2 freshmen, we’ll be a good offensive line.
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, lilMAC25 said:

You’re thinking of late in 09 (Nebraska and then MNC vs Bama).

we ran the ball right up OU’s ass in 08. 
2008-167 YPG rushing

2009-140 YPG rushing- this was 3.55 per carry

We weren’t nearly then juggernaut we had been earlier in the decade running the ball, but we did just fine.

So 1 game in each season is proof? If you are going to compare OLs and use rushing stats as your barometer, you are not going to win this. 

2009: 147.6 yards per game, 4.03 per rush, 4th in yards per game, and 4th in yards per attempt

2021: 199.25 per game, 5.23 per attempt, 2nd in rush yard per game in the Big12, and 3rd in yard per attempt

That is not factoring in that 09 had Colt and 21 had a black hole at QB. 

Edited by Codaxx
  • Hook 'Em 2

24 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

So 1 game in each season is proof? If you are going to compare OLs and use rushing stats as your barometer, you are not going to win this. 

2009: 147.6 yards per game, 4.03 per rush, 4th in yards per game, and 4th in yards per attempt

2021: 199.25 per game, 5.23 per attempt, 2nd in rush yard per game in the Big12, and 3rd in yard per attempt

That is not factoring in that 09 had Colt and 21 had a black hole at QB. 

By all means, if we are ignoring Colt’s effect, let’s ignore the effect of our best back since Jamaal. 

And no, that wasn’t the OU game numbers. That was the stats for the season.

Edited by lilMAC25

1 minute ago, Atticus said:

As far as technique is concerned, that definitely makes sense. I’m sure he is involved in scheme too though. 

Probably. I bet he’s spending a lot time with the safeties. They helped tie everything together with his TCU defenses and he developed some good ones.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

About the defense... I put next to zero credence into press conference bullshittery, but Sark said something the other day that made my ears perk up when taking about the defense. I'm paraphrasing here, but he said that when somebody messes up on d, they *now* get the same message from all the coaches on why they screwed up and how to fix it. We keep arguing talent vs scheme (spoiler - it's both) but I think the building of this defensive coaching staff was fucked from day 1 because Sark hired most of the position coaches before he hired PK, and they never got on the same page.

Considering that last year the defense was working with its third coordinator in three years, in three drastically different systems, with coaches who clearly weren't on the same page plus an obvious absence of talent at a few key positions and it's no wonder they were so bad. I don't know that they can fix it, but they have got to get their communication straightened out or they don't stand a chance. Does Patterson come in and help that or make it worse? As much hand wringing as there is about the oline (all warranted), this is the most critical determinant of the team's success next year. 

Good catch.  Man, that would be frustrating as hell for a player, especially the knuckleheads we rolled out at safety.  Maybe Patterson was brought in to help PK coach up his coaching staff.    

16 minutes ago, lilMAC25 said:

By all means, if we are ignoring Colt’s effect, let’s ignore the effect of our best back since Jamaal. 

And no, that wasn’t the OU game numbers. That was the stats for the season.

Should we ignore that Bijan missed games and Roschon was  not 100% the last few games or are we just going to look at one side of the coin? Should we mention that Rojo averaged 5.9, Keilan 7.2, Brooks 6.8, and Bijan 5.8..  Those numbers do not support your opinion that the running game was based on the exploits of a singular special player. 

Edited by Codaxx
  • Hook 'Em 2

Team notes from IT

Quick hitters on team:

— IT sources still believe Andrej Karic is a better offensive tackle than Christian Jones, but those two did in fact switch again for Thursday’s practice. That put Jones back at left tackle and flipped Karic to right. Karic is known for better feet and discipline. This isn’t something to get in a twist over, Flood simply needs better options on campus which he’ll have relatively soon.

— We think they’re making some schematic changes to the defensive front but we don’t have it fully diagrammed yet. The short story is it seems they want to be bigger across the line. An assumption is Jacks will end up playing Buck at times but we’ll get better clarity over time. It doesn’t appear the coaches are just going to run it back from last year.

— Hudson Card is playing through a bruised throwing hand. There will be a goofball in the comments stating we’re making excuses for him, when in fact, we’re just reporting he has a bruised throwing hand.

— Sources are excited about the young guys who impressed upon arrival, chiefly Jaylon Guilbeau and Terrance Brooks. Those two live at the facility and eat, sleep, drink football. Now, many of you do that as well, just with much more calories and a sleep mask attached to your face.

— The team is expected to go full pads on Saturday. That’s a quick jump from “spiders” to pads. Normally they’d go with shells in between. Any guesses as to why? We’d guess they want Saturday practice to be amped up….

1 hour ago, Billy Pilgrim said:

There were several instances where we had guys in position to make a play on D but they just sucked and couldn’t finish…. I’m looking at you Brockermeyer.

Hope you were looking at BJ Foster first. 

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, oldhorn2 said:

God is with them

Should we ignore that Bijan missed games and Roschon was  not 100% the last few games or are we just going to look at one side of the coin? Should we mention that Rojo averaged 5.9, Keilan 7.2, Brooks 6.8, and Bijan 5.8..  Those numbers do not support your opinion that the running game was based on the exploits of a singular special player. 

Najee Harris of National Champion Alabama averaged 5.8 yards per rush. Breece Hall this year had a career best 5.8 yards per rush.

The NFL scouts have had very high hopes for both these guys.

7 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

Najee Harris of National Champion Alabama averaged 5.8 yards per rush. Breece Hall this year had a career best 5.8 yards per rush.

The NFL scouts have had very high hopes for both these guys.

really not sure the point here. Bijan obviously has a bit of negative selection in his stats, but the point was the top 4 RBs all had excellent yards per carry. If the OL was truly abysmal at run blocking and it was all Bijan, like it was suggested, you should see some variation in the yards per. When everyone is around 6 or better, the OL probably did a reasonable job run blocking. 

Edited by Codaxx

4 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

really not sure the point here. Bijan obviously has a bit of negative selection in his stats, but the point was the top 4 RBs all had excellent yards per carry. If the OL was truly abysmal at run blocking and it was all Bijan, like it was suggested, you should see some variation in the yards per. When everyone is aroudn 6 or better, the OL probably did a reasonable job run blocking. 

Don't let your fake news stats distract you from the FACT that our coaching staff is DOOMED to repeat the FAILURE that was last year.  DOOMED DOOMED DOOMED! 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Hookem2147 said:

Team notes from IT

We think they’re making some schematic changes to the defensive front but we don’t have it fully diagrammed yet. The short story is it seems they want to be bigger across the line. An assumption is Jacks will end up playing Buck at times but we’ll get better clarity over time. It doesn’t appear the coaches are just going to run it back from last year.

Good to see PK knows surly is on to his shit. lulz 

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, WinningIsHard said:

Good to see PK knows surly is on to his shit. lulz 

Apparently Ojomo dropped 10-12 pounds this offseason so maybe they are planning on giving him some snaps at Jack. Would make sense because it allows them to get Ojomo, Collins, Coburn/Murphy and Sweat all on the field at the same time which would help us against the run. 

Just now, Hookem2147 said:

Apparently Ojomo dropped 10-12 pounds this offseason so maybe they are planning on giving him some snaps at Jack. Would make sense because it allows them to get Ojomo, Collins, Coburn/Murphy and Sweat all on the field at the same time which would help us against the run. 

Pure sarcasm sir. I think it's fucking wild that Sark is forever a shit coach because of his resume but PK doesn't get that same standard. I think the defense will be better just due to more time together for the staff, and the portal additions. Foster leaving also relieves a ton of headaches. 

• Hook 'Em 3

really not sure the point here. Bijan obviously has a bit of negative selection in his stats, but the point was the top 4 RBs all had excellent yards per carry. If the OL was truly abysmal at run blocking and it was all Bijan, like it was suggested, you should see some variation in the yards per. When everyone is around 6 or better, the OL probably did a reasonable job run blocking. 

Point being that Bijans (and everbuddy else we had) yards per rush was equal to the top rated back heading to the NFL the last two years. I don’t think anyone can legitimately argue that Bijan is significantly better than those guys and win the argument. You’d have to think with Sark being the play caller with Najee that they’d be even more legit comparisons. Alabama won a championship with an Oline that helped their primary rusher achieve similar results on a per touch basis. All that to support “the OL probably did a reasonable job run blocking.”

10 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

Point being that Bijans (and everbuddy else we had) yards per rush was equal to the top rated back heading to the NFL the last two years. I don’t think anyone can legitimately argue that Bijan is significantly better than those guys and win the argument. You’d have to think with Sark being the play caller with Najee that they’d be even more legit comparisons. Alabama won a championship with an Oline that helped their primary rusher achieve similar results on a per touch basis. All that to support “the OL probably did a reasonable job run blocking.”

As far as sacks go they had QB's who were not exactly brimming with confidence and getting the ball out on time, nor making a bunch of guys miss or being a big helper in the run game either.  There were some total and complete shit the bed moments, especially early in the year, but I'm with you in saying that this OL can certainly see average as a goal that's pretty attainable next year. 

• Like 2

"So me and this other guy are big fans of the Longhorns. He says something like he thinks we're going to be good next year, and I'm like NO WAY and destroy him with a 12,000 word essay on why we're perpetually doomed, all our coaches are idiots, all our players suck, and how it will probably never change. Man, that guy is such an idiot."

FGDxjxaX0AguYiC.jpg.8aa11f8638dd5c4cb2cfc6337009f0fc.jpg
Spoiler

not directed at anyone in particular, just having fun

You're other guy looks like a girl, unless of course thats you on the right..in which case

"How you doin?"

P.s. if my wife is creepin here, I'm just inquiring about her health, thats all.

There were several instances where we had guys in position to make a play on D but they just sucked and couldn’t finish…. I’m looking at you Brockermeyer.
You could also look at Schooler and Foster...wherever they are now.

• BurntOrange&White changed the title to 2022 Summer Season: Flavor-Aid (Strength: Prison Wine)
  • immamac locked this topic
  • immamac unlocked this topic