2022 Masters - The Return of Tiger

Jive Turkey

Just now, StruggleBus said:

#9 in the world, sure, but he was under the radar. Zero wins to his name and could probably go to any restaurant outside of Dallas without being recognized. That life is gone now. 

2 months ago?  No. He was widely known in Dallas, Texas, and the golfing world. In his PGA rookie year he finished Top 5 in a major and has been in the Top 30 since the end of his rookie year. He’s been a star since leaving Texas and totally dominating KF in ‘19. 

For the last year he most certainly has not been able to move around like before. 

23 minutes ago, Porterhouse said:

2 months?  #9 in the world. Odd comment. 

the guy cried before his match and told his wife he might not be ready(of course he could be lying)...even Faldo said the moment got to him.  not sure if they've ever polled PGA players but I could easily see the Masters being first on the list for majors for US players.

3 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

the guy cried before his match and told his wife he might not be ready(of course he could be lying)...even Faldo said the moment got to him.  not sure if they've ever polled PGA players but I could easily see the Masters being first on the list for majors for US players.

I think it has to be.  It's so unique and the only major played at one place and so exclusive. The us open is great but it is so hard and so random. No one cares about the pga....I mean they do but you know what I mean. But every player in the field knows exactly where every pin is doing to be on Sunday at the masters. Had to be number 1 for US players. 

2 months ago?  No. He was widely known in Dallas, Texas, and the golfing world. In his PGA rookie year he finished Top 5 in a major and has been in the Top 30 since the end of his rookie year. He’s been a star since leaving Texas and totally dominating KF in ‘19. 
For the last year he most certainly has not been able to move around like before. 

I was standing next to Scottie and his wife at the ready-made food counter at Central Market on Midway in Dallas shortly after he won in Phoenix one Sunday around 7:30/8 PM. It took me a few mins to realize who it was. The only other people who recognized him was an older couple who obviously knew his wife from the neighborhood.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, C-Man said:

I was standing next to Scottie and his wife at the ready-made food counter at Central Market on Midway in Dallas shortly after he won in Phoenix one Sunday around 7:30/8 PM. It took me a few mins to realize who it was. The only other people who recognized him was an older couple who obviously knew his wife from the neighborhood.

yeah but were Kershaw and Stafford there too?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

I’m just going on what I saw this week.  His swing is in a terrible place.  It’s obviously going to take another overhaul which is always a crapshoot.
He could win a handful more majors, he has the talent and time.  Right now it’s trending completely in the wrong direction.

Actually, all of his metrics are better this year than last — except putting. He needs to build a replica of 12 in his backyard and figure that shit out.

10 minutes ago, pops said:

I think it has to be.  It's so unique and the only major played at one place and so exclusive. The us open is great but it is so hard and so random. No one cares about the pga....I mean they do but you know what I mean. But every player in the field knows exactly where every pin is doing to be on Sunday at the masters. Had to be number 1 for US players. 

the guys who care about the PGA are usually sons of former PGA teaching pros.

8 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Golfers are more recognizable because you see their faces all of the time.  I once was in line behind Demarcus Ware at CM and didn’t know who he was, other than the fact that I thought that guy probably works out, until he got into his S-class with his DWARE94 license plate.

Edited by conVINCEd

13 minutes ago, C-Man said:

So?  Do you think anyone outside of Tiger and Phil get rock star treatment grocery shopping?  

My point was that the entire golf world knows exactly who SS has been for a long time. His life hasn’t changed that much in the last two months at all. It changed 4 hours ago, tremendously, but anyone who was paying attention knew this was probably inevitable. Including SS himself. It’s just an odd comment from a UT board, and one that spent a lot of time focusing on Tiger as opposed to Scottie. 

57 minutes ago, Incredulity said:

And broke his leg because he had some crazy SEAL fantasy and loved jumping out of duece and a halfs

This is the real thing that ruined his destiny to win 20 majors. He basically broke his body by 33 or 34 doing this. The swing coach was because he broke his body and was trying to compensate. 

3 minutes ago, Porterhouse said:

So?  Do you think anyone outside of Tiger and Phil get rock star treatment grocery shopping?  

My point was that the entire golf world knows exactly who SS has been for a long time. His life hasn’t changed that much in the last two months at all. It changed 4 hours ago, tremendously, but anyone who was paying attention knew this was probably inevitable. Including SS himself. It’s just an odd comment from a UT board, and one that spent a lot of time focusing on Tiger as opposed to Scottie. 

you are the only one who thinks it's odd.  so there's that. 

16 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Actually, all of his metrics are better this year than last — except putting. He needs to build a replica of 12 in his backyard and figure that shit out.

is his scrambling better?  serious question, I'm just not sure where you find it.

28 minutes ago, pops said:

Feinstein wrote about this in the majors. Says for the international guys it’s basically split 50/50 between the open and the Masters, for the US guys it’s basically 50% masters and pretty equal between US Open and The Open, but that the only thing everyone agrees upon is the PGA is definitely #4 and it’s not particularly close. 
All that said- the PGA does almost always have the best field in the world. 

7 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

This is the real thing that ruined his destiny to win 20 majors. He basically broke his body by 33 or 34 doing this. The swing coach was because he broke his body and was trying to compensate. 

while this is likely the case, for a guy as good as Tiger, it had to be a combination of things that had to happen to take him down from his everest-like perch for 10 years in majors in his prime.

6 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

is his scrambling better?  serious question, I'm just not sure where you find it.

That I don't know. They were talking about it early in the week on Golf Channel. Every single metric -- driving distance, accuracy, GIR, etc -- was better than a year ago except putting. He's like 180th or something there. Spieth put some of the blame on the courses he's played thus far, slower greens, etc.

I didn't dive deeply enough to see what went wrong this week at Augusta. I know he put another ball in Rae's Creek at 12 on Friday and then double-bogeyed the 18th hole to miss the cut by two shots. Weird conditions at Augusta for the first three rounds of this year's event. Today was more like typical Masters weather.

2 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

while this is likely the case, for a guy as good as Tiger, it had to be a combination of things that had to happen to take him down from his everest-like perch for 10 years in majors in his prime.

True. 
I actually think the body stuff would have never happened if it wasn’t for his absurd decade of dominance. I feel like there were no mountains to climb and no rivals to vanquish so he got bored and decided he was going to see if he could break Wilts record for whores or become a Navy Seal. 
golf being what it is we got robbed of 10 years of his prime, and, look like we are going to get a very small window of post prime. The 2019 and 2022 Masters will be special for different reasons but I’m glad we got both of those to happen and am looking forward to 2022 at the old course. 

39 minutes ago, C-Man said:

If we’re being honest here, Tiger should’ve never left Butch Harmon.

Csb story time. My buddy is a D1 golf coach and they had a tourney at cascata when butch was there.  This was maybe 8 years ago. My buddy is very affable and gets people into the just talk about whatever zone very easily. Anyhow,  he's walking down the fairway talking with butch and just says...ok... how much did tiger pay you?   Butch says he doesn't charge toring pros anything. If they want to give him something,  great. Tells him tiger never gave him a cent. Tiger told him he did enough for his career and that was his compensation. May be accurate but kind of a bitch move. Meanwhile,  he said mickelson would send him a Christmas card every year with a 100k check when he was working with him.  And until 2 months ago that's why Phil was loved,  fake or not,  from the shoe shine guy to his coach. /csb. 

23 minutes ago, Porterhouse said:

My point was that hardly anybody noticed him as anything other than a regular grocery shopper. Granted, this was with only one PGA Tour win under his belt, he wasn't #1 and hadn't won a Green Jacket. My bet is if he showed up there tomorrow night, it would be a completely different story. He's become a lot more visible in the last two months for sure.

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, pops said:

Csb story time. My buddy is a D1 golf coach and they had a tourney at cascata when butch was there.  This was maybe 8 years ago. My buddy is very affable and gets people into the just talk about whatever zone very easily. Anyhow,  he's walking down the fairway talking with butch and just says...ok... how much did tiger pay you?   Butch says he doesn't charge toring pros anything. If they want to give him something,  great. Tells him tiger never gave him a cent. Tiger told him he did enough for his career and that was his compensation. May be accurate but kind of a bitch move. Meanwhile,  he said mickelson would send him a Christmas card every year with a 100k check when he was working with him.  And until 2 months ago that's why Phil was loved,  fake or not,  from the shoe shine guy to his coach. /csb. 

Phil worships Arnie.  he may be a dumbass sometimes and is for sure FIGJAM, unlike Arnie, but apparently he still does a lot of person to person(under the radar) stuff that is to be admired.

If he really wanted to change the tour he should have retired and gone after Monahan's job.

• Hook 'Em 2

5 hours ago, Covri said:

Good to see another HP alumn pull themselves up by their bootstraps and become a champion! Maybe HPslugga or Porterhouse can come by to tell us about the time they passed him in the aisle at Central Market..

^
That train’s never late

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, pops said:

Probably ask why Phil will do anything for money. But I’d rather be known for that than for being a cheapskate billionaire. 

• Hook 'Em 2

44 minutes ago, pops said:

tiger's navy seal lunch story .............

Then there's the story of the lunch, which spread throughout the Naval Special Warfare community. Guys still tell it, almost a decade later. Tiger and a group of five or six went to a diner in La Posta. The waitress brought the check and the table went silent, according to two people there that day. Nobody said anything and neither did Tiger, and the other guys sort of looked at one another.

Finally one of the SEALs said, "Separate checks, please."

The waitress walked away.

"We are all baffled," says one SEAL, a veteran of numerous combat deployments. "We are sitting there with Tiger f---ing Woods, who probably makes more than all of us combined in a day. He's shooting our ammo, taking our time. He's a weird f---ing guy. That's weird s---. Something's wrong with you."

49 minutes ago, pops said:

mickelson has loooooong been known as a big tipper. after his lost at wing foot, it was said he handed out over $10,000 cash in tips to the staff. he put in a lot of practice rounds and they took care of him. also this story from his first masters win ..........

Everyone has a Mickelson tipping story. ESPN's Rick Reilly says his favorite happened in the Augusta National parking lot the Sunday night of Phil's first Masters victory, in 2004. "There were three emotional club employees giving him long bear hugs," Reilly wrote. "Turns out they were the lower-locker-room guys who were losing Mickelson and his fat $1,000 tips to the Champions Locker Room guys upstairs. They were nearly weeping."

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, conVINCEd said:

Golfers are more recognizable because you see their faces all of the time.  I once was in line behind Demarcus Ware at CM and didn’t know who he was, other than the fact that I thought that guy probably works out, until he got into his S-class with his DWARE94 license plate.

dumb and dumber GIF

8 hours ago, pops said:

I still love Phil and don't care about the nonsense with the Saudi league. Honestly, Phil should just come out and own it and move on. Hiding like a scared puppy isn't helping. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, StruggleBus said:

I still love Phil and don't care about the nonsense with the Saudi league. Honestly, Phil should just come out and own it and move on. Hiding like a scared puppy isn't helping. 

Not hiding. He’s on a double-secret suspension. 

Another benefit of Scottie’s win is he cements himself atop the OWGR for awhile. He very easily could have been a 1-week wonder. 

1 hour ago, tx 3 putt said:

butch was getting too much credit / game during that run and poor old tiger was jealous. 

I absolutely think that was part of it. It's also why he moved on from Fluff, who Tiger thought was leveraging his status as Tiger's caddie too much. How he came to hire that asshat Hank Haney, I'll never know.

4 minutes ago, C-Man said:

I absolutely think that was part of it. It's also why he moved on from Fluff, who Tiger thought was leveraging his status as Tiger's caddie too much. How he came to hire that asshat Hank Haney, I'll never know.

100% why he dumped fluff. Fluff became a story / celebrity, tiger was jealous. he was (maybe still is) a very petty person 

• Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, StruggleBus said:

Basically, Tiger is a complete fucking cunt with no personality but we still love him because he played the greatest golf ever for ten years. 

I'll admit it. After the joy of seeing his win at Augusta in 1997 and then his rise into the most dominant force golf had ever seen in the late 90's/early 00's, I quickly grew tired of him. He was too scripted, too "handled" for my tastes. He was like a robot. I was around a teeny bit when he'd roll through for the Nelson and he was a terrible interview for everyone except for one or two hand-picked guys by Tiger's team. I grew to dislike him. I thought he was a dork who kicked ass on the golf course. The Ticket's Fake Tiger was dead-on, balls accurate in my view. (Little did I know he was banging everything in sight.)

Then he fired Butch, started fucking with his swing and his equipment -- and he "struggled." Tiger won in spite of Hank Haney, not because of him. I couldn't believe somebody at the absolute top of their game would change ANYTHING. It still blows my mind that golfers do this shit all the time. At any rate, I soon began to dislike him and actively root against him. I wanted Rocco Mediate to beat him at Torrey Pines. Then he flipped the Escalade and all the seedy shit he was involved in came out. For the first time in his life, I think he was humbled a little. I never thought he'd contend again at that point. I knew Jack's record was unattainable.

But as we moved further and further into his slide into mediocrity, I softened on the guy. He seemed more personable than he'd ever been. By most accounts, he's a really good dad. He's been more candid and open about things. He seemingly finally buried the hatchet with regard to his "feud" with Phil, if one ever really existed in the first place. Then he started contending in majors again. I still didn't think he could win one but, holy shit, then came 2019! I loved every minute of that. I'm on a text chain with a couple of buddies who are hard-core golf fans. I was in Charleston with my wife for High Water Fest during that tournament and I texted them on Friday evening to tell them that Tiger would win. Me, the guy who openly rooted against him and tried to tell them he'd never win another major was calling his shot. Of course I'd spent all afternoon at The Blind Tiger so I wasn't thinking 100% clear. If memory serves, Tiger fucked up something late Friday or early Saturday and I texted back an "oops, guess I was wrong" to them. By Sunday AM, I was reminding them what I'd said two days earlier.

It was awesome to see him win that tournament and I pull for the guy any chance I get now. Then of course he flipped the car in LA and nearly killed himself. He's an even better redemption story now if he can get back and contend. He's like Ben Hogan 2.0 though Hogan was not nearly as deep into his career when he had his car wreck. But I'm pulling for Tiger. I hope he plays well at St Andrews.

• Like 1