Texas @ Texas Tech Series Thread

ztejas

40 minutes ago, Cousin Strawberry said:

I am confused by the fact that we are a perennial top 25 program and don't have anyone that can come out of the bullpen that gets ahead of hitters and can get a fucking ground ball.  Everyone dude out of out pen falls behind.  That is some bush league shit.  If you come out of the pen and walk multiple hitters you do not need to be playing.  You are shit.  I don't care if you throw 95-96.  Give me a dude at 88 who can throw FB low on the corners and get people to ground to short and second.  I don't give a fuck about strike outs. 

We are asking too much of Harrison.  

And it’s been like this for 10 years. The drop off from 2010 to 2012 was unreal and we haven’t recovered. Well, not Texas recovered. Kind of hard to bitch about 3 trips to Omaha and a like what 3 or 4 big 12 champs last 10 years? But holy fuck. I remember thinking the 06-08 stretch was brutal. The last 10 years have been shocking. Went from a guy like Rupp to McCann. Brandon Belt to Jake fucking McKenzie. Ruffin, Workman, Jungmann, Holby Milner and Cole Green to….yeah I can’t even finish this 

45 minutes ago, Cousin Strawberry said:

I am confused by the fact that we are a perennial top 25 program and don't have anyone that can come out of the bullpen that gets ahead of hitters and can get a fucking ground ball.  Everyone dude out of out pen falls behind.  That is some bush league shit.  If you come out of the pen and walk multiple hitters you do not need to be playing.  You are shit.  I don't care if you throw 95-96.  Give me a dude at 88 who can throw FB low on the corners and get people to ground to short and second.  I don't give a fuck about strike outs. 

We are asking too much of Harrison.  

Well, Pierce and his staff seem to have been mostly pretty good at recruiting and developing pitchers during his tenure.

Maybe that was luck, because we don't have a big sample size.

We've only had pitching that seems this bad a handful of the 30 seasons I have watched Texas Baseball.

2 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

We have two of those guys. One started yesterday, the other started today…and wasn’t hitting his spots. 

Yep. People seem shocked when guys who don't have overpowering stuff miss their spots and get hammered. Or have some bad luck and grounders find holes.

1 minute ago, Pato del Muerto said:

We have two of those guys. One started yesterday, the other started today…and wasn’t hitting his spots. 

I realize that we aren't going to have Greg Maddox come out of the pen throwing 88mph wiffle balls but JFC why can't we have a dude that actually hits Ardoin where he is set up?  Some of those pitches today, even when they resulted in a strike out, were a 18" from where they were supposed to be. Its weird that we don't have a guy who can paint corners consistently. 

If Melendez signed last summer, this team is .500.

7 minutes ago, zlavydra said:

Yep. People seem shocked when guys who don't have overpowering stuff miss their spots and get hammered. Or have some bad luck and grounders find holes.

Let’s be fair to Pete Hansen…. He pitched seven innings, allowed 3 runs, and I think retired 18 batters in a row 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, zlavydra said:

When you don't have over powering stuff you have to locate.  Did those three HRs that Stevens gave up in the 1st inning find holes? Stephens could have taken something off and located his fastball and Tech wouldnt have run him off in the 1st.

5 minutes ago, Cajun said:

Well…

I don’t want to say it’s over 2 games into conference play but holy fuck. We’ve seen this movie before. This feels like 2015. Or ‘19. Or ‘12 or ‘13 or ‘16 or…yeah. I love what dudes like Kingham and Shugart did here but those guys are Sunday/Tuesday guys every fucking season from ‘02-‘10. We didn’t even use Kyle McCullough in 04 in Omaha. We lost Sam Lecure like a month before the 05 season and well…

You dudes are something else. I haven’t noticed the volatility out of you in prior years. To this extent anyway.

The sky ain’t falling yet.

But how do you lose twice with Melendez and Stehlys efforts. I’ve never seen two dudes in back to back games get on like that. Big hits too. Last night, it was the bats outside of the big 2. Today it was the arms, but there were missed opportunities offensively too.

Hansen and Stephens are the bigger stories this weekend than the bullpen in my opinion. Partly because you expect more of them but also it’s multiple outings that have not been to the prior standard. Nixon went too long last night to be surprised by this outcome.

You had two relievers do work today. Is that two more capable arms? Seems like two more options. They’ll start to compete for innings with the other guys who’ve shown well at ties this year. You walk guys, you don’t get more. We may not have THE setup guy but can piece together righty-lefty matchups to get to the 9th.

I might entertain Gordon as your Saturday guy.

Tomorrow is big. A loss is not the end of the world, but how they compete is the big question. The next two games are big emotionally.

• Hook 'Em 2

30 minutes ago, Fletch said:

I don’t want to say it’s over 2 games into conference play but holy fuck. We’ve seen this movie before. This feels like 2015. Or ‘19. Or ‘12 or ‘13 or ‘16 or…yeah. I love what dudes like Kingham and Shugart did here but those guys are Sunday/Tuesday guys every fucking season from ‘02-‘10. We didn’t even use Kyle McCullough in 04 in Omaha. We lost Sam Lecure like a month before the 05 season and well…

It's why I said it was my opinion that today was a must-win game.  It's not always about the Ls, sometimes it's about how those Ls come about.  Baseball players are fragile creatures, especially at this age.  Our team psychology just took a major hit.

Mix that into the gumbo of our pitchers becoming extremely mortal and an apparent 2nd affair with that old flame named "Watching called strike 3", and things are not looking good.  

Anyone being truly honest with themselves should have seen this coming after the SC series.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Cousin Strawberry said:

Are you willing to admit that this team, or specific members of this team had too many drinks last night? If you tell me no, I know that you never played competitive baseball past 8th grade. These dudes partied last night after that loss.  I am sure that a couple of them banged some raider trim.  

Good for them and the drinks and the Raider trim.  21 Texas hits vs. 13 Tceh hits  -- that shit is gonna work itself out over the course of the season.

10 minutes ago, Cousin Strawberry said:

Are you willing to admit that this team, or specific members of this team had too many drinks last night? If you tell me no, I know that you never played competitive baseball past 8th grade. These dudes partied last night after that loss.  I am sure that a couple of them banged some raider trim.  

I had a female staffer back in the day that was a Texas baseball groupie.  Win or lose -- there was a big party after every game.

3 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

That was one of the toughest games to endure -- just up and down and up and down.

Hidden in that mess was some incredible hitting performances from Ivan and Stehly.

Team did not quit -- hell of an effort from 5th inning on. 🤘

The bats are legit albeit prone to some  Ks. The pitching staff has seemingly forgotten everything about pitching

missed the game but it seems the wheels are coming off.  not totally surprising as our pitching was going to be suspect even before Witt went down.  now its a shitshow.

Pierce has made 2 college world series so he gets a lot of slack but holy shit this team looks to be poorly coached.

26 minutes ago, Cousin Strawberry said:

After the game?  Sheeeeeeeit.  Our guys do shots during games.

Like mutherfuckin' BOSSES!!!

• Hook 'Em 1

29 minutes ago, VirginiaLonghorn said:

Not if they don’t get the pitching straightened out.  Right now, it’s a fucking mess from top to bottom.

You're not allowed to point out realities of the moment.

Please engage Bill in Sinton mode before crowdsourcing!

44 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

We should obviously fire Pierce, kick everyone off the team and cancel the rest of the season. I’ll be in Omaha with the team in June.  I hope a lot of you will be taking a break.

I booked my flight a few weeks ago and got my hotel and rental car on Thursday.  Who's with me!?!

1 hour ago, Fletch said:

Seriously think if the 05 comp for this season. Lecure get academically DQ’d and what happens? Alaniz starts throwing no hitters and Kasparek goes unbeaten with a sub 2.5 ERA. And the bullpen didn’t drop off. We have what, 25 pitchers on roster, there’s not one fucking reliable arm?

• Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, Cajun said:

It's why I said it was my opinion that today was a must-win game.  It's not always about the Ls, sometimes it's about how those Ls come about.  Baseball players are fragile creatures, especially at this age.  Our team psychology just took a major hit.

Mix that into the gumbo of our pitchers becoming extremely mortal and an apparent 2nd affair with that old flame named "Watching called strike 3", and things are not looking good.  

Anyone being truly honest with themselves should have seen this coming after the SC series.

I didn’t see this after SC because I thought Pete and Tristan would continue on the track they’ve shown. Both of them I still think will be fine but there’s something different whether it’s mental or better scouting that neither is quite as effective as last year. Who knows.

I agree though that this season is right on the edge from a psychological standpoint. Maybe that’s us over analyzing but it doesn’t seem like it

3 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

I didn’t see this after SC because I thought Pete and Tristan would continue on the track they’ve shown. Both of them I still think will be fine but there’s something different whether it’s mental or better scouting that neither is quite as effective as last year. Who knows.

I agree though that this season is right on the edge from a psychological standpoint. Maybe that’s us over analyzing but it doesn’t seem like it

Pete was just fine yesterday. 3 hits in 6 innings. Tristan had a bad day. It happens... to great pitchers even. We're fine. 

My honest opinion is that Pierce has the lineup wrong right now but hopefully will get that squared away soon. If Silas and Mitch get their groove back then it won't be an issue. 

There's a lot of sandy vagina on this thread but I'm not surprised. It's about the same amount of sandy vagina that was around here at about the same time last year. I see some new usernames too... I bet I won't see them come June. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

missed the game but it seems the wheels are coming off.  not totally surprising as our pitching was going to be suspect even before Witt went down.  now its a shitshow.

Pierce has made 2 college world series so he gets a lot of slack but holy shit this team looks to be poorly coached.

Sorry but making the CWS most years  is the expectation at Texas.

Until we dogpile in Omaha, Pierce ain’t the guy. He’s just the guy following the two legends.

We haven’t won a national championship in 17 years in baseball or any major sport. Fuck!

Edited by Loop 1604

4 minutes ago, NorthLoop said:

Pete was just fine yesterday. 3 hits in 6 innings. Tristan had a bad day. It happens... to great pitchers even. We're fine. 

My honest opinion is that Pierce has the lineup wrong right now but hopefully will get that squared away soon. If Silas and Mitch get their groove back then it won't be an issue. 

There's a lot of sandy vagina on this thread but I'm not surprised. It's about the same amount of sandy vagina that was around here at about the same time last year. I see some new usernames too... I bet I won't see them come June. 

Well, we’ve just lost two heartbreakers to Sand Aggy, so…

1 minute ago, NorthLoop said:

He’s got to fix the fucking lineup. Don’t get me wrong, people acting like this team is terrible are just dumb. This team is really good. We might not be top 5 but we are imo still a regional host. The sticks are awesome, Tristan and Pete are gonna win way more than they lose. The pen is worrisome. I hope we can get to Omaha abd believe we still can but def not a shoe in. I don’t think we can win a title though which I wouldn’t have said a couple weeks ago

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Cajun said:

Well, we’ve just lost two heartbreakers to Sand Aggy, so…

so.... pack it in and call it a year. I bet that's what Pierce is saying to the team right now. I bet they're all like "well we couldn't win a series against Tech this year so we'd better just call it a season"... Maybe last years team should've said the same thing when they lost the series to Tech in Austin. 

2 minutes ago, Cajun said:

We are a very good team, but we are like a Ferrari running on bio-fuel.  

Beautiful machine knocking & pinging down the highway getting passed by an old lady in a Prius.

I'd say getting passed by a drunk high school kid from Pampa by the name of Briscoe

Just now, NorthLoop said:

so.... pack it in and call it a year. I bet that's what Pierce is saying to the team right now. I bet they're all like "well we couldn't win a series against Tech this year so we'd better just call it a season"... Maybe last years team should've said the same thing when they lost the series to Tech in Austin. 

Dude, acknowledging the moment does not equal turning on the team.  The Iraqi information minister routine is one way to go.  Go,ahead, rock it.

‘I’ll continue to call it how I see it and will do so having watched every single game as I have done for decades.  Feel free to remove me from you “Best Fan Award” watch list.

3 minutes ago, Cajun said:

Dude, acknowledging the moment does not equal turning on the team.  The Iraqi information minister routine is one way to go.  Go,ahead, rock it.

‘I’ll continue to call it how I see it and will do so having watched every single game as I have done for decades.  Feel free to remove me from you “Best Fan Award” watch list.

You and I have always reacted to games differently during the season as we go. I'm not gonna take you off my best fans list just yet. 

• Hook 'Em 1

It’s too bad the pitching meltdown overshadowed an incredible and probably unprecedented offensive performance the last two games from Melendez and Stehley.   I don’t recall two hitters terrorizing a staff like these two have this weekend.  And those dumbasses kept pitching to them.      

Our bullpen is young.  We are relying a ton on two freshmen and a sophomore for the bulk of the relief innings at crunch time and they have been inconsistent.  Have to just keep throwing them out there and taking our lumps while they fight through their control issues.   That includes Nixon.  

On the plus side Morehouse and Eckhardt both had good outings.  That’s two in a row for Eckhardt.  Morehouse has a swing and miss arm and will get better as he develops his breaking ball.   He’s getting valuable experience here.   We don’t have a true setup guy but we have enough arms to throw bodies at it.  It seems like it’s going to have to be setup guy by committee and Pierce has to have a very quick hook.  

Meanwhile the bottom of the order just isn’t going to get solved this year.   It can get better if Daly ever gets his stroke back.   DH is just going to be a frustrating revolving door of suck.

1 hour ago, NorthLoop said:

You and I have always reacted to games differently during the season as we go. I'm not gonna take you off my best fans list just yet. 

Btw, if I win I plan to wear my purple thong to the award ceremony.

You might want to factor that into your algorithm.

#fulldisclosure

It’s too bad the pitching meltdown overshadowed an incredible and probably unprecedented offensive performance the last two games from Melendez and Stehley.   I don’t recall two hitters terrorizing a staff like these two have this weekend.  And those dumbasses kept pitching to them.      

Our bullpen is young.  We are relying a ton on two freshmen and a sophomore for the bulk of the relief innings at crunch time and they have been inconsistent.  Have to just keep throwing them out there and taking our lumps while they fight through their control issues.   That includes Nixon.  

On the plus side Morehouse and Eckhardt both had good outings.  That’s two in a row for Eckhardt.  Morehouse has a swing and miss arm and will get better as he develops his breaking ball.   He’s getting valuable experience here.   We don’t have a true setup guy but we have enough arms to throw bodies at it.  It seems like it’s going to have to be setup guy by committee and Pierce has to have a very quick hook.  

Meanwhile the bottom of the order just isn’t going to get solved this year.   It can get better if Daly ever gets his stroke back.   DH is just going to be a frustrating revolving door of suck.

That’s a lot of words to say “this isn’t Little League. These dudes have been playing baseball, going to camps and getting personal coaching since they were 8 fucking years old.

Time for them to wipe the sand out of their vaginas and play some fucking baseball
  • Hook 'Em 1