Texas A&M @ Texas Game Thread

Cairn Horn88

5 minutes ago, Augustus said:

I thought he missed strike three earlier in the at-bat but who knows. What *is* known is that Dougie is a brutally bad umpire.

that was the make up for the first strike which was low, then he knew he needed to ring him up because the dude lives in BCS.  what the fuck is he doing calling our game?  he was in the bag for aggy.  he couldn't let the top of the order get back up.  Its really unbelievable this shit still happens.

Edited by dcar00

3 minutes ago, Augustus said:

I thought he missed strike three earlier in the at-bat but who knows. What *is* known is that Dougie is a brutally bad umpire.

He may have missed strike 3, but he gave you strike 1.  And that was not a wash.  It would have been 2-0 I believe.  Then Dylan went outside the zone to stay down in the count.

and really that strike 1 was close.  And the same spot that was not called on the grand slam AB.

6 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

that was the make up for the first strike which was low, then he knew he needed to ring him up because the dude lives in BCS.  what the fuck is he doing calling our game?  he was in the bag for aggy.  he couldn't let the top of the order get back up.  Its really unbelievable this shit still happens.

Dude, he's a shitty umpire with no real strike zone.  I think he bases his call on a mental coin flip.  Anytime he calls a game both sides are constantly bitching that he's "in the bag" for the other team, which is silly. That's just typical fan BS.

13 minutes ago, Cajun said:

I like your angle, but this is not that team.  This team isn’t even in the same area code.

Not with our pen.

That is unfair to say IMO. Last years team was 17-8 at this same point in the season, difference is last year we started 0-3 and this year we started 11-0. Offense has taken a step forward and pitching has taken a step back. Last year our conference schedule was back loaded, this year it’s front loaded.

Outlook on the team really comes down to if you think the issues with the bullpen our fixable. I personally think they are and it starts with Allen and Pierce, specifically with how they are calling the game. The only two guys who were affected in any significant way by Witt going down were Duplantier and Gordon. The whole pitching staff does not go from barely giving up a run per 9 innings to getting shelled because one man goes down for the season

Tuesday nights are going to be a struggle because it’s an indicator of depth but the weekend for the most part is on par with most other top teams in the country, Witt just separated us from the rest.

Oklahoma series is looking like a fork in the road right now

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Cousin Strawberry said:

No one is saying they are Brooks.  I am telling you that a closer that can’t throw 2 pitches for strikes is fucking worthless. You think Pierce is praising Nixon tonight?

Just kidding with you dude.

I get what you are saying. If he cannot get his location down we are screwed and for whatever reason you are pretty sure he can't.

4 minutes ago, chase25 said:

That is unfair to say IMO. Last years team was 17-8 at this same point in the season, difference is last year we started 0-3 and this year we started 11-0. Offense has taken a step forward and pitching has taken a step back. Last year our conference schedule was back loaded, this year it’s front loaded.

Outlook on the team really comes down to if you think the issues with the bullpen our fixable. I personally think they are and it starts with Allen and Pierce, specifically with how they are calling the game. The only two guys who were affected in any significant way by Witt going down were Duplantier and Gordon. The whole pitching staff does not go from barely giving up a run per 9 innings to getting shelled because one man goes down for the season

Tuesday nights are going to be a struggle because it’s an indicator of depth but the weekend for the most part is on par with most other top teams in the country, Witt just separated us from the rest.

Agree 100%

15 minutes ago, Augustus said:

Dude, he's a shitty umpire with no real strike zone.  I think he bases his call on a mental coin flip.  Anytime he calls a game both sides are constantly bitching that he's "in the bag" for the other team, which is silly. That's just typical fan BS.

he was in the bag for aggy tonight.

I agree we shouldn’t throw in the towel. Pierce teams seem to finish strong and our schedule isn’t exactly scary down the stretch. But losing Witt was brutal, no other way to put it. That’s 100 innings going from a 3 ERA guy to a 4.5 ERA group. A lot of runs. Last year, even after Kubicheck imploded, we had 4 genuine starters + Quintanilla and Nixon. Then like 2-3 more quality arms. This year its 3 starters + Harrison and a sketchy version of Nixon. Not a lot of answers in the bullpen for the sheer load they’ll have to carry. Blessed as we’ve been, 3 ERA guys out of the pen are the exception not the norm.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Spaceman_Spiff said:

I agree we shouldn’t throw in the towel. Pierce teams seem to finish strong and our schedule isn’t exactly scary down the stretch. But losing Witt was brutal, no other way to put it. That’s 100 innings going from a 3 ERA guy to a 4.5 ERA group. A lot of runs. Last year, even after Kubicheck imploded, we had 4 genuine starters + Quintanilla and Nixon. Then like 2-3 more quality arms. This year its 3 starters + Harrison and a sketchy version of Nixon. Not a lot of answers in the bullpen for the sheer load they’ll have to carry. Blessed as we’ve been, 3 ERA guys out of the pen are the exception not the norm.

they can still win the big 12, because it is pretty bad, and host, but it's gonna take our lineup being the 27 Yankees.  

8 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

Nixon is likely feeling more pressure because he knows the pen is shitty.   and he knows he might be called on to go 2 or 3 innings.  quintanilla and witt being in the pen last year was huge.

One thing I've noticed just from the outside is it seems like they tried to get Nixon to better locate his slider in the strike zone rather than just using it as a pitch you throw in the dirt off the fastball. That for whatever reason to me seems as to why he has struggled this year. In an attempt to make him better he ended up losing the feel for his fastball. You'd rather have an elite fastball with a wipeout slider you throw out of the strike zone as opposed to a great slider and a fastball you can't locate and right now he has the latter.

4 minutes ago, chase25 said:

One thing I've noticed just from the outside is it seems like they tried to get Nixon to better locate his slider in the strike zone rather than just using it as a pitch you throw in the dirt off the fastball. That for whatever reason to me seems as to why he has struggled this year. In an attempt to make him better he ended up losing the feel for his fastball. You'd rather have an elite fastball with a wipeout slider you throw out of the strike zone as opposed to a great slider and a fastball you can't locate and right now he has the latter.

possible.  It would be good for him to get it back asap.  that said, him getting back to his one inning closer form doesn't matter if we go into the 9th down 2-3 runs because the set up guys can't pitch.

11 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

yeah but don't worry he's just a bad ump and not in the bag for aggy.  we play them once a year. find another fucking ump.

I mean, 50%+ of his follows and retweets/likes being related to aggy might make him a little biased.  And South Austin's mom is not safe from this creep.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Was there and witnessed said ump shittyness in all its glory.
But it felt like Pierce was playing loose and just not worried about this game.
To me at least it felt that aggy had the game from jump. Pierce not getting any pitchers up in the pen to make a change pissed me off. Damn
I fuckin hate aggy. We shoulda blew them out but pitching was horrendous, bad ump and all.
That heckler was below us like 6 rows. Was he loud on tv??

This season pretty much comes down to Pete, Tristan, Lucas, and Aaron. If Luke can continue to be fairly consistent and Coy can progress then great. Guys like Southard, Eckhardt, Cobb, and Olivarez are the only other guys in the pen that should see meaningful innings the rest of the way. Zane, Travis, and Andre should pitch in garbage time.

Mississippi State won a title last year off the back of 5 maybe 6 guys (Bednar, Sims, Rowdy, Tanner, and Houston Harding). Could throw in Brad Cumbest is you want as he came on later. They hit .278 as a team and had a staff ERA of 4.04 but when they got to Omaha it didn't make a shit because Will Bednar beat us 2-1 and 3-2... A lot of pressure to put on Pete and Aaron but at the end of the day, if you don't want the pressure, then don't fucking come to the University of Texas.

If Pete, Tristan, and Lucas can rise to the occasion and get this offense to Omaha, we can win it.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Had Enough said:

College umpires are not good at the balls and strikes.

Neither are college pitchers who don't hit their spots 100% of the time.  19-21yr old kids playing with hate against a team they consider their little brother in their own house and get pretty pumped up with excitement and adrenaline.  In the not-so-accurate words of Powers Booth, "All that hate can burn them up".  

Look forward to OU, forget aggy (FUCK AGGY BTW), and let these dipshit kids (because that's exactly what they are/we were) find their way.  

Tried to edit, but it wouldn't let me.  I wanted to add this;

College baseball players who are good and/or decent, play with a semblance of absolute fear, and a false bravado.  Those who don't, either suck, or were drafted out of high school.  The majority of the latter, if asked, will tell you that they jumped into a hornet's nest that they weren't anywhere close to being ready for, and would give anything to go back and play at least a year in college.

TLDR; They're fucking kids, who's entire life revolves around getting better so they can be cheered, and not booed.

Edited by Homesickhorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, williemackgarza said:

To me at least it felt that aggy had the game from jump. Pierce not getting any pitchers up in the pen to make a change pissed me off. Damn
I fuckin hate aggy. We shoulda blew them out but pitching was horrendous, bad ump and all.

yes he was loud as fuck 

6 hours ago, williemackgarza said:

Just not “worried” about this game is exactly why I wonder if Pierce can / should stay here

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, chase25 said:

Pitching has taken way more than as step back amigo.

• Hook 'Em 1

We have no one who has the stuff to challenge hitters.  These aren’t guys with loads of talent just waiting to be harnessed and focused.  Our staff is loaded with guys who have to nibble and pray that umps give them the edges.  I haven’t seen this weak of a pitching staff at Texas in a long, long time.  Maybe ever.

That is not just something that gets fixed in a couple of months.

I’ll be happy to eat these words if I’m wrong, but I’m not wrong.  Like Sgt.Barnes said, “There’s the way things outta be and there’s the way thing are”.

This is how they are.

Edited by Cajun
  • Like 4
  • Rage+1 1

This is a fringe top 25 team. Doubt we host unless we go on a nice run (which our bullpen likely won’t allow). 

Having this poor caliber pitching at Texas is simply inexcusable. Then again, most things about major Texas sports have been for a while now. Nobody does less with more.

1 hour ago, Loop 1604 said:

This is a fringe top 25 team. Doubt we host unless we go on a nice run (which our bullpen likely won’t allow). 

Having this poor caliber pitching at Texas is simply inexcusable. Then again, most things about major Texas sports have been for a while now. Nobody does less with more.

Our starters have to do much of the work. If we didn't have a strong offense it would indeed be bleak. But it isn't because we do have a talented team that is showing improvement in many areas as time goes by. It does just happen, and it did under Gustafson and Garrido as well, that sometimes a piece of our program will just suck for awhile whether it is defense, offense, or pitching. There is no excuse, it must be fixed and ultimately people will be held accountable for it. In the past those problems have eventually been fixed. I fully expect it to come back together again. And yeah right at this moment we are a fringe top 25 team. But hey guess what? 16 teams host. We don't have to get that much better to achieve that goal.

Though, frankly, after what we have seen if we drag this bullpen into the regionals as a #2 seed I will be relieved.

But I greatly resent this sneering attitude that they have been bad for awhile. Hey we were in the CWS two of the last three full seasons. 'Nobody does less with more'? Fuck you asshole. Tons of programs across this country are pouring money into college baseball and we are, and will continue, to compete at a high level. How many of those programs have done that with a top 4 finish? We have a big problem this year but we are not the only major program in the country with weaknesses.

This whole 'THINGS SUCK RIGHT AT THIS SECOND SO WE ARE TERRIBLE AND BURN EVERYTHING DOWN' thing is a joke. A bad joke. Fortunately our baseball program is run by cooler heads.

And hey maybe this season is, in fact, lost. We'll see.

Edited by Valmy77
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

That's fine if you want to call this would be inning-ending pitch a ball twice in a row, before the grand slam:

image.thumb.png.ac8d63d2594e0379c7edf6afb9ae6109.png

But then to call this a game-ending strike three instead of a walk?  If DC doesn't move his arm and get out of his crouch, that probably hits him.  The pitch is at the same height on both, but the aggy dude is 2 inches taller than DC.  GTFO, aggy ump.

image.thumb.png.b67cb9d736a29f891521888a0b2cf184.png

Bonus screenshot:

image.thumb.png.64b45ce14275e7faa2731f599ec8c849.png

Glad this happened in a regular season game and not the CWS.

Edited by OU Sucks
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

1 minute ago, OU Sucks said:

Glad this happened in a regular season game and not the CWS.

Yeah that is some regular season ump bullshit right there. I am sure umps have missed big calls in the CWS before but I never seem to recall it ever impacting us that much and that is a lot of appearances.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Loop 1604 said:

Although undoubtedly cold comfort, that's not true. See UGA basketball and baseball. 

4 hours ago, Cajun said:

We have no one who has the stuff to challenge hitters.  These aren’t guys with loads of talent just waiting to be harnessed and focused.  Our staff is loaded with guys who have to nibble and pray that umps give them the edges.  I haven’t seen this weak of a pitching staff at Texas in a long, long time.  Maybe ever.

That is not just something that gets fixed in a couple of months.

I’ll be happy to eat these words if I’m wrong, but I’m not wrong.  Like Sgt.Barnes said, “There’s the way things outta be and there’s the way thing are”.

This is how they are.

Lucas doesn’t have the stuff to challenge hitters? He challenged Tech all day long. Aaron did it all last year, this year he’s simply lost the feel for his fastball trying to better locate his slider in the zone. 

What is your definition of challenge?

• Hook 'Em 1