2022 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

13 minutes ago, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

that's astounding if Houston pitchers have 12 CG shutouts in the 91 wins.  

Huh?  That was their 1st.  12 in all of baseball this year.  No one with more than 1.

Edited by WBT

13 minutes ago, WBT said:

Huh?  That was their 1st.  12 in all of baseball this year.  No one with more than 1.

the prior poster has a bit of a confusing reply with "overall".. does that mean Astros or entire MLB, since my question was only about Houston.

https://www.mlb.com/astros/stats/pitching

Frambler has 3 CGs in 2022, the only Astros pitcher with a CG. Today was Houston's only CG SHO of the year. 

Pay the man, don't let him leave Crane, but he will.  I have no faith in the stingy owner. 

Edited by Make em eat Taco Bell
  • Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

the prior poster has a bit of a confusing reply with "overall".. does that mean Astros or entire MLB, since my question was only about Houston.

Frambler has 3 CGs in 2022, the only Astros pitcher with a CG. Today was Houston's only CG SHO of the year. 

Pay the man, don't let him leave Crane, but he will.  I have no faith in the stingy owner. 

He has 3 more years of arbitration and sinker ball pitchers age in dog years. He’s already 29 so we have him locked up until 32. I’d love to see a 5/75 type deal at the end of this off-season as a sign of good faith and taking care of him but that’s about the absolute max he should get. 

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

I’d prefer he just keep picking his spots and spending his money wisely.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

He has 3 more years of arbitration and sinker ball pitchers age in dog years. He’s already 29 so we have him locked up until 32. I’d love to see a 5/75 type deal at the end of this off-season as a sign of good faith and taking care of him but that’s about the absolute max he should get. 

Plus the absence of the shift will negatively impact his effectiveness. 

Just now, tx 3 putt said:

he's president of the brewers ?

Yeah. Was assistant to JL before getting the Brewers job when they were terrible and turning them into perennial playoff contender. He’s smart, and also more willing to make bold moves. 
I still don’t buy that Click is gone, but there has been some smoke, even before this. If they don’t bring back JL (and I’d be shocked if they did) he’d be my first choice for sure. 

8 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Valdez is worth more than $15 MM/yr if he continues at this pace and with wage inflation too.  It's doomsday to have the very best leave, but money is everythihg. 

1 hour ago, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

Valdez is worth more than $15 MM/yr if he continues at this pace and with wage inflation too.  It's doomsday to have the very best leave, but money is everythihg. 

You’re looking at it wrong. They’d be buying out his 3 arbitration years for $30M and giving him 2 extra years at $22.5M each. That’s a fair deal. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Click isn't coming back. Crane wants him gone for not doing enough at the trade deadline.

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk

I have never been on board with Click, but I am also a fan of stability so I am torn. I don't really like flipping GMs unless they are Tim Purpuraesque, and Click isn't on that level
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Jshep34 said:

Click isn't coming back. Crane wants him gone for not doing enough at the trade deadline.

I thought the trade deadline was played pretty well by Click.  He addressed key needs without breaking the bank.  Seems odd that this would be the issue, but what do I know?   

35 minutes ago, Guadaloopy said:

I thought the trade deadline was played pretty well by Click.  He addressed key needs without breaking the bank.  Seems odd that this would be the issue, but what do I know?   

There is a chance that Crane wanted to spend some money in FA, Click told him don’t worry- we can get what we need at the trade deadline, and then we didn’t. 

There was a really good crop of FA’s this year, we had pretty clearly major risk at 5 spots offensively going into the year, we rolled the dice and we more or less lost at most of them (LF, 1B, C, SS, CF).  We have historic pitching. We have Altuve not getting any younger. Crane told JL not to be a pussy and pushed him to do the Greinke deal.  Maybe Click pushed back and it didn’t get done. 
I can’t really point to any deal Click has done that I liked. If Y Diaz is a cornerstone than that’s great, otherwise it’s spending a fair bit of money and resources on middle relievers, signing Brantley and Yuli for too many years only to watch them fall off the age cliff, and losing generational talent to FA 2 years in a row without replacing it. 
he’s kept the cap sheet clean, he hasn’t signed any deals that impact our long term flexibility but the guy is trying to bunt for a base hit in a situation where Crane wants a grand slam. 

all the important guys on this team were JL guys and still, Hunter Brown is paying dividends. I’m not saying Click needs to go, I’m just saying anyone who says look at his and Dusty’s record is being obtuse. These guys have acted as care takers. And that makes sense. The team they inherited was great!  It’s logical to want to do that.  But, eventually atrophy will catch up if you don’t do some stuff on your own and maybe that’s Cranes fear. 
I did like the draft this year. 

• Hook 'Em 3

36 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

There is a chance that Crane wanted to spend some money in FA, Click told him don’t worry- we can get what we need at the trade deadline, and then we didn’t. 

There was a really good crop of FA’s this year, we had pretty clearly major risk at 5 spots offensively going into the year, we rolled the dice and we more or less lost at most of them (LF, 1B, C, SS, CF).  We have historic pitching. We have Altuve not getting any younger. Crane told JL not to be a pussy and pushed him to do the Greinke deal.  Maybe Click pushed back and it didn’t get done. 
I can’t really point to any deal Click has done that I liked. If Y Diaz is a cornerstone than that’s great, otherwise it’s spending a fair bit of money and resources on middle relievers, signing Brantley and Yuli for too many years only to watch them fall off the age cliff, and losing generational talent to FA 2 years in a row without replacing it. 
he’s kept the cap sheet clean, he hasn’t signed any deals that impact our long term flexibility but the guy is trying to bunt for a base hit in a situation where Crane wants a grand slam. 

all the important guys on this team were JL guys and still, Hunter Brown is paying dividends. I’m not saying Click needs to go, I’m just saying anyone who says look at his and Dusty’s record is being obtuse. These guys have acted as care takers. And that makes sense. The team they inherited was great!  It’s logical to want to do that.  But, eventually atrophy will catch up if you don’t do some stuff on your own and maybe that’s Cranes fear. 
I did like the draft this year. 

I’d disagree with the assessment on the Gurriel deal. They gave him a 1 yr deal last year for $7 mil and he massively outperformed that. Picking up his $8 mil option then was a no-brainer. It hasn’t paid off this season, obviously, but I don’t think it’s accurate to say he was signed for too many years when it was a 1 year deal with an option.

• Hook 'Em 4

32 minutes ago, formermav43 said:

I’d disagree with the assessment on the Gurriel deal. They gave him a 1 yr deal last year for $7 mil and he massively outperformed that. Picking up his $8 mil option then was a no-brainer. It hasn’t paid off this season, obviously, but I don’t think it’s accurate to say he was signed for too many years when it was a 1 year deal with an option.

That’s fair. But in reality the deal ended up being 1 year too long on the team. Just like Brantley. Just like Castro. And none of that is problematic on some level as the money wasn’t too great, we could have done some more stuff to mitigate that risk as we had money left over, we are winning the AL in a walk, and the books are clean for next year. 
But, it certainly did not optimize our chances of winning a WS this year, and if that was Crane’s marching orders to him (we don’t know if it was) then it could be interpreted as a bit of a failure. 

15 minutes ago, UTPhil2006 said:

Crack out that checkbook for Mancini then Jimmy 

Meh. Mancini has been mediocre for us. He’s hit some HRs but done little else. .198/.289/.425

If he wants to take the $10M option then fine. Otherwise, I’d like to explore other options. 

Edited by TonyTexas
  • Hook 'Em 2

40 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

That’s fair. But in reality the deal ended up being 1 year too long on the team. Just like Brantley. Just like Castro. And none of that is problematic on some level as the money wasn’t too great, we could have done some more stuff to mitigate that risk as we had money left over, we are winning the AL in a walk, and the books are clean for next year. 
But, it certainly did not optimize our chances of winning a WS this year, and if that was Crane’s marching orders to him (we don’t know if it was) then it could be interpreted as a bit of a failure. 

Can't get mad about contracts being one year too long.  The real problem is when they are 3+ years too long.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Just now, TonyTexas said:

Meh. Mancini has been mediocre for us. He’s hit some HRs but done little else. .198/.289/.425

If he wants to take the $10M option then fine. Otherwise, I’d like to explore other options. 

Agreed. Mancini at 10M would be fine (he isn’t taking that option) and Mancini as option 3 or 4 is fine, but he in no way should be a priority. 
The logical move at that price point would be Peralta in a strict platoon with Chas to handle LF and go spend money, and/or surplus starting pitching on a stud in CF

19 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

The logical move at that price point would be Peralta in a strict platoon with Chas to handle LF and go spend money, and/or surplus starting pitching on a stud in CF

We won't be able to buy our way out of the CF issue this offseason. Aside from Judge, there just isn't much talent in the OF free agent pool this year.  

Edited by Seasick Sailor

1 hour ago, Jshep34 said:

Crane wanted a big splash/bat at trade deadline. Since it didn't happen Crane wasn't to happy. He was willing to write whatever checks needed.

I have a hard time believing that Click doesn’t run any “big splash” scenario by ownership.  I just don’t think there were any out there that proved appealing enough to take.  With the expanded playoffs and broad emphasis on player development there’s also not nearly the numbers of sellers as there was five or ten years ago.  

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, LCHorn said:

I have a hard time believing that Click doesn’t run any “big splash” scenario by ownership.  I just don’t think there were any out there that proved appealing enough to take.  With the expanded playoffs and broad emphasis on player development there’s also not nearly the numbers of sellers as there was five or ten years ago.  

The corollary to fewer sellers is that there are also more buyers.  And we all know how supply and demand works.  Let this season play out before deciding Click's fate.  I find it hard to believe that Click goes away if this team finds a way to win the WS. 

15 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

We won't be able to buy our way out of the CF issue this offseason. Aside from Judge, there just isn't much talent in the OF free agent pool this year.  

I know, that's why I said and/or on the money and surplus starting pitching.  It's probably not a strict FA play. But it's possible that you trade guys and take on bad money to get a deal done.  

It's Varsho (AZ), Garcia (TX), Mullins (Bal) or Reynolds (Pitt) in a trade.  Or Judge as a FA.  Or Turner.  I know people aren't keen on moving him back there but I think we could do it.  

What I'd really like to see happen is us call Toronto and tell them we've made a terrible mistake (and I think they probably realize they have to) and we want Springer back in our lives and could you please throw in Kirk (they are loaded with high end catching prospects) and offer them something like Framber, Garcia, Maton, Lee and Jake Meyers for them (Only if you signed JV to a 3 year type deal first).  I think that's probably fair value (not saying they would do it).  This would be your roster:

JV, LMJ, Javier, Urquidy, Brown (65 million)

Presley, Abreu, Stanek, Neris, Martinez, Whitley, Bielak, Peredes (30 million)

Springer (25), Altuve (24), Yordan (19), Bregman (20), Tucker (7), Kirk (1), (McCormick/Peralta platoon) (12), Pena (1), (Y Diaz & JJ platoon) - (120)

Bench:  McCormick, JJ, Maldy, Dubon, (8)  

225 total.  

None of this is going to happen.  But it would be fun. 

• Hook 'Em 1

There’s a saying that everything is for sale. I’ve bought many a truck or boat or whatever by just asking if someone wanted to sell it. If Click beat the bushes to make someone available in a trade that may not have had a sign around their neck, no one knows except those in the know. But saying no one was available just because they weren’t advertised as such isn’t always the case. GMs job is to find out. 

• Hook 'Em 1