2022 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

5 minutes ago, Storm the Field said:

Back on pace with 2019. 6 games ahead of last year.

Just need to win 16 of final 31 to secure a 100-win season.

18 and 13 to finish the year over 500 for the franchise. We’ve never been over 500 at the end of a season. Let’s make this the first. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, kevwun said:

He would get 15 million for the rest of this year?  Kinda crazy to pass that up.

wouldn't it be prorated to a certain degree for the Astros?  Hasn't he already been paid for first part of the season?

I saw that Click was pumping the brakes this morning on Y. Diaz being called up. I wonder if because something going on with Conforto. If he’s healthy he’d be a fool to pass up a chance to come back to a World Series opportunity. Unless he thinks he would get more than $15 mil next year coming off an injury. I believe he is a Boras guy. I think that’s a more than fair offer though. 

13 minutes ago, Scraps said:

We aren't the only team offering shit.

He will be on some team by end of the day or he is retarded

Yeah I saw 5 contending teams were inquiring about him. But I doubt any have the opportunity in the OF that the Astros do. But I don’t know I really don’t pay much attention to others.

Boras has said that he will sign this year. But if all he can do is DH that is worrisome for how they feel about Alvarez. His surgery was on his throwing shoulder. But I did see a rumor that he had a closed workout with the Astros on Monday and hit live pitching. Four months off of shoulder surgery on throwing arm is not encouraging for playing outfield. Just what we need is more walking wounded. But could be a bench bat for playoffs or a move for next year also. Probably just Boras stirring the pot.

• Like 1

How fast is he? Bench bat and pinch runner in extra innings maybe. I mean I guess I’d rather have him pinch hit for Maldy than JJ or Dubon or somebody. Yordan LF, Mancini 1B, Conforto DH? 
I’ll waste all night on this. Need to take advantage of no game tonight to get some work done. Just when I think I’m out, they pull me back in.

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, Mitch Hedberg said:

His surgery was on his throwing shoulder. But I did see a rumor that he had a closed workout with the Astros on Monday and hit live pitching. Four months off of shoulder surgery on throwing arm is not encouraging for playing outfield.

The Astros have experience in a similar situation and it didn’t work out so great. I would hope they they feel very good about Conforto as they want to avoid making the same mistake. 

Also, I question that tweet above detailing the offer. $25M+ for 2023 seems really high. 

18 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

The Astros have experience in a similar situation and it didn’t work out so great. I would hope they they feel very good about Conforto as they want to avoid making the same mistake. 

Also, I question that tweet above detailing the offer. $25M+ for 2023 seems really high. 

My thoughts exactly 

36 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

He’s probably a fair bit better than you think.  He’s something like a 2.5 WAR per year guy with a 125 ops plus that had a couple monster years. My 2 biggest concerns signing him for 100 million in this past offseason would have been that he had a big drop in 2021 after being awesome in 2020, and his defensive stats have been slipping for a while as he gets older and loses his athleticism (he’s 29). That would have made me leery of giving him 9 figured as a commitment. 
but- 1 year and 2 playoff runs for 30 million. That’s a hell yeah dog. They drafted some guys they really like plus they have Lee who might still be a year away. Him taking care of shit for 1 year is pretty low risk move for the Astros and as far as prove it deals go 1/25 is pretty good prove it money. 
Indont know how many years he would have had to give to get the $100 million in the off-season (probably 5) but on a 1 year deal he’s probably worth 25. But- we don’t care all that much about the regular season so you should just view it as we get 2 playoff runs for 30 and be happy. 
feel like he’d be dumb not to sign this. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, TexArcher said:

God damn, that is the worst looking stadium I've ever seen.  I think it actually looks worse every time I see it.

McDome, but then what could have been done to improve it? Choo choo train?  Weird thing is the old one still exists next door.

Even weirder, this McDome was somehow chosen for the 2020 World Series. 

As far as the game today, I bet 50% were Astros fans given the number of orange shirts and the clapping.  I think I heard a Lets Go Astros loudly make the rounds in the entire stadium. Man, what a disappointment the Texas team, to be outnumbered at home.