2022 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

4 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

now I remember her father....The multimillionaire, who is serving a 16-year state prison sentence <<< it takes a special kind of stupid to fuck up being a rich, polo playboy. good job dumb ass

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/local/palm-beach/fl-ne-john-goodman-dui-manslaughter-case-reopened-20200918-t42jyaksdbclxgvnpnryslgibu-story.html

He was at TH Rogers with us and I don't remember anything about him other than thinking he was lucky to be dating Carroll Reckling. 

• Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

You seem to think that we need a superstar to replace 1B, C, LF, CF. We don't.

We have superstars in Altuve, Alvarez, Tucker, and Bregman. What we need are guys that are at least league average.

If they let JV and Yuli and Brantley walk I hope we field a star somewhere (FA or trade), a solid above average guy somewhere and 2 average guys in those spots. 
Something like Trey Turner in CF, Jose Abreu at 1B, Chas/Gallo in platoon LF and Maldy/Y Diaz at C. That seems like you could do that for $50M. 
7/210 for Turner, 3/40 Abreu, 1/5 for Gallo. 
that would make the lineup pretty much the best in baseball I’d think. I don’t know if any of those are Astros moves (maybe 1/5 for Gallo as a platoon guy with Chas) and I suspect they aren’t, but if they did it instead of signing JV bc they consider starting pitching to be such a strength I wouldn’t riot or anything. 
if we sign another reliever for more than $5M while leaving gaping offensive holes throughout the lineup I will be ticked. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

If they let JV and Yuli and Brantley walk I hope we field a star somewhere (FA or trade), a solid above average guy somewhere and 2 average guys in those spots. 
Something like Trey Turner in CF, Jose Abreu at 1B, Chas/Gallo in platoon LF and Maldy/Y Diaz at C.  

Man... I'm not sure I could handle watching the chin-pony 162+ times per year.  If he could get back to MVP form instead of just being really freaking good, I might be able to overlook it.

8 minutes ago, Guadaloopy said:

Man... I'm not sure I could handle watching the chin-pony 162+ times per year.  If he could get back to MVP form instead of just being really freaking good, I might be able to overlook it.

He’s not getting back to MVP form. If you signed him for 3 years you’d probably be looking to get 1 significantly above average and 2 average years out of him. I’d take that if he signed for 13-15 per year. Think last 3 years of Brantley with a little more pop and a little less average. 
If Gallo wouldn’t sign for 1/5 to split duties with Chas we could always sign Helo for minimum wage. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn

Just now, TonyTexas said:

I’m assuming you meant Trea. He’s played a whopping 45 games in CF, all in 2016

Yes, Trae. My spelling is awful. Especially with proper nouns. 
CF is just pure ass on the FA market. It’s the biggest argument for bringing JV back and just filling spots with JAGS instead of using his money elsewhere. That and JV is fucking awesome of course. 

8 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Fangraphs has his 5.9 Runs above average for his career.  He is, this year, -2.4.  His numbers by year:

0.1, 3.7, -3.1, 4.7, -4, 0.4, 4, 4.7, -5, 0.4, 2.5, -2.4

No rhyme or reason.  No clear patter of him diminishing what was once a great skill set.  He's just him.  Risking, daring, sometimes calculated and then just sometimes stupid.  Makes it fun. More fun than station to station boringness. 

I still can't forget him a few years ago half assing a tag from third on a really deep fly he could score easy on.  Problem was another baserunner also tagged and was thrown out to end the inning.  Has Altuve even run at anything above a jog his run would have counted.  That play drove me nuts.

6 minutes ago, formermav43 said:

McCormick is a perfectly acceptable option in CF. It will be much easier to upgrade 1B and/or LF.

Agreed completely. Need a new manager to make that happen. 
If Helo doesn’t work out Peralta would be a perfect platoon partner for Chas. That should be about a 4 WAR situation in LF with a strict platoon. 

38 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

we should all light a candle for a healthy jake in 2023. he's getting first shot at the cf position 

If Meyers gets first crack at it, I hope he does well. If he's healthy but doesn't do well (which I fear will be the case), I hope management admits their miscalculation and promptly gets someone better in there. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Gut Wagon said:

If Meyers gets first crack at it, I hope he does well. If he's healthy but doesn't do well (which I fear will be the case), I hope management admits their miscalculation and promptly gets someone better in there. 

based on all the ex astro players on mlb rosters, we give up too soon on players

• Hook 'Em 1

The focus for the off season should be first base. Serviceable outfielders can and will show up to a certain extent, maybe even Meyers, but 1B is historically a position of run producers with some emphasis on power. Need some of that back in the lineup next year. First basemen with low averages and no power are a drain on the lineup, no matter how well liked. 

Gilbert was a bad beat. A half season season in A ball + winter ball + spring training + a full season in the minors and he’s maybe ready to go in September 2023. I’m still hopeful for this timeline. 

I’d sign somebody cheap for a platoon in CF. Pray Jake gives you something and wait for Gilbert. 

4 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Gilbert was a bad beat. A half season season in A ball + winter ball + spring training + a full season in the minors and he’s maybe ready to go in September 2023. I’m still hopeful for this timeline. 

I’d sign somebody cheap for a platoon in CF. Pray Jake gives you something and wait for Gilbert. 

Melton is my favorite player from the draft but if either of them works out it's a win.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Gut Wagon said:

There's an argument for that in many cases. So let's suppose Meyers really is a keeper. What would you need to see from him next year to keep him your everyday CF? 

BB rate over 8.5%. It is why I have come around some on McCormick. He increased his BB% from 7.8 to 11.1, anything over 10 is well above average. The problem I have with Meyers is after his 1st month last year he's been a really bad offensive player. He never had a great track record in the minors, and I just don't think hitters with crazy BAbip can maintain it.

Edited by HtownHorn
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, tx 3 putt said:

based on all the ex astro players on mlb rosters, we give up too soon on players

Sometimes.  We've also had a really good roster for years that makes it hard to get playing time.  I think we've traded several guys that we knew could play that we didn't have room for.

• Like 1