2022 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

About a week ago I had visions of catching the dodgers with how well we’re playing but those fuckers just don’t lose

We’re 9-1 in our L10 and have gained…1 game on them.

really looking like a collision course between these two right now. But of course no one cares what you’ve done april-sept once October starts

31 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

About a week ago I had visions of catching the dodgers with how well we’re playing but those fuckers just don’t lose

We’re 9-1 in our L10 and have gained…1 game on them.

really looking like a collision course between these two right now. But of course no one cares what you’ve done april-sept once October starts

The Mets and Braves will be tough in the NL.  Hopefully, we have some guys get hot in the playoffs and the pitching stays consistent.  Other teams don't want to face us, that's for sure.

Hilarious segment on MLB Central with Bo Porter dispensing managerial advice.  
I watched the thing they do with ex players watching a game last night and Chris Young (the one that owned us with A's/Yankees/Red Sox among other teams and is from Houston) was on there with CC Safatass and Cliff Floyd. Young came out full heel and said he is embracing it now and wore an Astros hat and a "Houston vs Everybody" shirt. He said he knows how much CC hates them so he was in straight troll mode.

/csb
  • Hook 'Em 1

35 minutes ago, Scraps said:

Did we all know that Pena and Correa both share today as their birthday?

I knew Correa’s was right around now but did not know Peña shared the same day.

Hopefully it’s not just Correa but being born on the first day of fall that equates to domination in the postseason/ Fall classic

Edited by UTexasFight

i was out and about last night during the game.  we were actually at a "sports bar" but they didn't have the game because la doesn't really know how sports bars work.  so we were streaming on a laptop sitting next to fred savage and his brother's super hot blondo campaign manager (ben savage is running for west hollywood city council) and they were talking strategy.  seriously, you cannot make this shit up.

but let's talk really quick about the severity of what just happened.

we just marched into tampa, a legit playoff team.  we threw our sp6 (in tandem with our sp5), our sp4, and then our sp3.  they threw their reigning august pitcher of the month, jv's main competition for the cy young award, and their 3rd best pitcher, who's actually having a nice year.

we were on the verge of clinching the division, so there was bound to be a little hangover/lack of focus.  we rested some guys at least for a game.

that series was thoroughly dominated by your houston astros.  in demoralizing fashion.

it wasn't until the 6th inning of game 3 (23+ scoreless) until we even gave up a run (on a groundout).  we trailed total for one inning out of 27 (a reoccurring theme for this team).  i said it on tuesday straight from the mouths of the rays announcers - this isn't a team that looks like they "may not stay sharp".  it's just not in their dna. 

mancini and neris and any new guys describe the culture and the family atmosphere, but it really boils down to one thing - we expect to win, and we go out every day and do it.  there have been some memorable slip-ups this season, almost entirely caused by lapses in the pen, which only happens to be the best in baseball.  that's why i can remember them, because they're so fucking rare. 

every time i get cocky in my head about what would happen vs the nyy in the alcs or against anyone in a world series, i start telling myself, wait, there's a division series, slow down.  then i see us play seattle or play tampa and remember what division series have looked like for the most part since 2017.  fucking boring.  keep it boring, string.

we are sitting here inventing problems just to find solutions.  do we include this guy or that guy on the postseason roster?  do we throw tandem in g4 because we have 7 legit starters.  who has the stuff to go to the pen, and who do you replace now that we have 5 dependable bullpen pieces + 2 that are pitching at a high level right now?

the pessimist in me was thinkin 4-3 on this tough, late-season roadtrip, with a nice cushy lead in the al would be about right.  that would be fine.  rest up, have fun, these other teams are actually fighting for something (though balt might be just about done).  but no, that's not what we do.

we got jv going tonight for number 100.  let's fucking get it.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, henrygandorf said:

in a 7 game scenario vs nyy, we could push jv back to start a pivotal g3 on the road and a potential clinching g7 at home.  i see no problem with it.

Normally this would be true.  There's no off day between Game 5 and 6 anymore so a Game 3 starter would be going in Game 7 on 3 days rest- obvious non starter.

Which brings up an interesting point for the divisional series- your Game 1 starter is your game 4 starter b/c you have off days after game 1 and Game 2.  So, your divisional series starters are: JV, Off, Framber, Off, LMJ, JV, Javier.  

You have to bring JV back for game 4 b/c then he starts game 2 and game 7 in the ALCS on full rest.  Weird dynamic this year b/c of the lockout.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Here is your dates. I actually fucked that up and there is only 3 days off between Game 4 in the ALDS and Game 2 in the ALCS.  Still, I think you'd rather set it up for JV to be going on 3 days rest in Game 2 than game 7, if it comes down to it.  Enormous incentive to close the ALDS out in 3 games. Enormous. Either that or you have your ace pitch on 3 days rest for Game 2 or Game 7, or you only get to pitch your ace 1 time in the ALCS.  This is a bummer for us, but it's an existential crisis for the other teams if they go 4 or 5 games.  What's really cool is the other series goes 5 games whoever comes out of that series will only get to pitch their 2 best pitchers 1 time in a 7 game series if they want full rest for them.  So, if NYY and Seattle go 5, for example, and they want to keep their guys on full rest we will see this set up:  3, 4, OFF, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5.  If we were to close it out in 3 we go:

1, 2, Off, 3, 4, 1, 2, 5.  We would have the hammer in basically every game except for games 3 and 4, and I will take LMJ and Javier against anyone else's top 2, and I promise I love a Garcia or Urquidy in tandem with Hunter Brown against anyone else's 5th pitcher or ace on 3 days rest multiple times in 2 weeks.  Plus, if it's a WC team t's even more pronounced.  

Tuesday, Oct. 11
NLDS A, Game 1, FOX or FS1
NLDS B, Game 1, FOX or FS1
ALDS A, Game 1, TBS
ALDS B, Game 1, TBS

Wednesday, Oct. 12
NLDS A, Game 2, FOX or FS1
NLDS B, Game 2, FOX or FS1

Thursday, Oct. 13
ALDS A, Game 2, TBS
ALDS B, Game 2, TBS

Friday, Oct. 14
NLDS A, Game 3, FS1
NLDS B, Game 3, FS1

Saturday, Oct. 15
NLDS A, Game 4, FS1 (if necessary)
NLDS B, Game 4, FS1 (if necessary)
ALDS A, Game 3, TBS
ALDS B, Game 3, TBS

Sunday, Oct. 16
ALDS A, Game 4, TBS (if necessary)
ALDS B, Game 4, TBS (if necessary)
NLDS A, Game 5, FS1 (if necessary)
NLDS B, Game 5, FS1 (if necessary)

Monday, Oct. 17
ALDS A, Game 5, TBS (if necessary)
ALDS B, Game 5, TBS (if necessary)

LEAGUE CHAMPIONSHIP SERIES

Tuesday, Oct. 18
NLCS Game 1, FOX or FS1

Wednesday, Oct. 19
NLCS Game 2, FOX or FS1
ALCS Game 1, TBS

Thursday, Oct. 20
ALCS Game 2, TBS

Friday, Oct. 21
NLCS Game 3, FS1

Saturday, Oct. 22
ALCS Game 3, TBS
NLCS Game 4, FOX or FS1

Sunday, Oct. 23
NLCS Game 5, FS1 (if necessary)
ALCS Game 4, TBS

Monday, Oct. 24
ALCS Game 5, TBS (if necessary)
NLCS Game 6, FS1 (if necessary)

Tuesday, Oct. 25
ALCS Game 6, TBS (if necessary)
NLCS Game 7, FOX and FS1 (if necessary)

Wednesday, Oct. 26
ALCS Game 7, TBS (if necessary)

WORLD SERIES

Friday, Oct. 28
Game 1 (at better record), FOX

Saturday, Oct. 29
Game 2 (at better record), FOX

Monday, Oct. 31
Game 3, FOX

Tuesday, Nov. 1
Game 4, FOX

Wednesday, Nov. 2
Game 5, FOX (if necessary)

Friday, Nov. 4
Game 6, FOX (if necessary, at better record)

Saturday, Nov. 5
Game 7, FOX (if necessary, at better record)

Edited by Wulaw Horn

1 hour ago, henrygandorf said:

in a 7 game scenario vs nyy, we could push jv back to start a pivotal g3 on the road and a potential clinching g7 at home.  i see no problem with it.

Sure, but why play for 7 games. Win in 5 with JV starting ALCS games 1 and 5 means for the WS you’d have Framber starting game 1 in LA and JV game 2.

and Framber game 5 at home and JV game 6 back in LA…. Gee, all of that sounds familiar (substituting 2022 lefty Framber for 2017 lefty, Keuchel).

but at the end of the day it all comes down to how quickly we get through the LDS. The ALDS schedule is wonky with off days after games 1 and 2 (instead of games 2 and 4 like normal).

JV will start game 1 but if we don’t sweep, he’ll be on regular rest for game 4. And assume we win the series in 4, the options for ALCS are JV on short rest for game 2, or an extra day of rest for game 3.

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

everyone calm it down.  it's absurd to suggest we would start anyone other than jv, i was just positing how it would look if you threw him on the road against someone's sp3 and how unfair that might seem.  jv is our game one starter any time that he's rested enough to do it.

We’re just doing what you said we’re all doing. Haha

we are sitting here inventing problems just to find solutions.  

Edited by UTexasFight
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

If we can do it again next weekend we can probably singlehandedly have pushed them to the 6 and avoid us in the ALDS. 

I don't think it takes us doing much look at the Rays remaining schedule and look at the M's remaining schedule.

https://www.tankathon.com/mlb/remaining_schedule_strength

• Hook 'Em 1