2022 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

1 hour ago, DoobieWah said:

...and probably his last.

There's not a manager in either league who sees that on SportsCenter this morning and doesn't think "Well THAT was dumb. I ain't doing that!".

You underestimate MLB managers 

• Haha 2

Hopefully Odo can recapture what he had going when he got hurt. He was suddenly (and shockingly) dealing when he hit the IL. I don't really look for it, but that at least showed he's capable of putting together multiple strong innings. If he could get back to that, it sure would improve our chances of dealing him for value. 

• Hook 'Em 1

putting aside correa's clubhouse presence, team leadership, and undoubted clutch abilities (i know those aren't really measurable but you can't tell me it's coincidental), here is an objective look at his side-by-side offensive statline with pena's.

correa - 259pa, 9hr, 29rbi, 35r, .291/.363/.461

pena - 244pa, 11hr, 30rbi, 35r, .278/.329/.475

don't know their defensive numbers but pena has been impressive, and we don't really know what he'll be like in the postseason.  considering the salaries and flexibility we're looking at moving forward, hard not to see this as a huge win for our scouts/front office who said pena was ready.

and correa will probably opt out or sign a big extension with the twins, which is shit we didn't want to deal with.

1 hour ago, henrygandorf said:

putting aside correa's clubhouse presence, team leadership, and undoubted clutch abilities (i know those aren't really measurable but you can't tell me it's coincidental), here is an objective look at his side-by-side offensive statline with pena's.

don't know their defensive numbers but pena has been impressive, and we don't really know what he'll be like in the postseason.  considering the salaries and flexibility we're looking at moving forward, hard not to see this as a huge win for our scouts/front office who said pena was ready.

and correa will probably opt out or sign a big extension with the twins, which is shit we didn't want to deal with.

If Pena hits in the playoffs this is a slam dunk no doubt about it huge win for the organization.  If he's overmatched, unread or shits down his leg then that's a problem, obviously.  

Pena has been a lot better than what I thought he would be.  Other than some careless errors that come with being young I'm sure he's been all you could want.  

10 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Got 2 sets of 2 tickets tonight.  First one who wants 2 that PM's me are yours.  As always, free.  As always, please just claim them if you actually are planning on going.  I could sell them myself but am trying to give them away.

very cool of you offering up tickets 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, tx 3 putt said:

Dusty’s Monday call in, made a comment this team needs to work on bunting. He’s pro bunting in the right situation ……

https://sportstalk790.iheart.com/content/2022-07-05-dusty-baker-talks-astros-walk-off-wins-odorizzi-more-on-sportstalk790

So anytime that Maldonado comes up with any runner on base and less than 2 outs.

48 minutes ago, Snake Diggity said:

Pena being able to hit 2nd just seems like it lengthens the lineup so much.

hes keeping it warm for Brantley 

i predict he slides back to #7, energizing the bottom of the line up

Edited by tx 3 putt

Someone explain to the kid that he’s in scoring position standing on 1B when Yordan is at the plate. 
like that steal a lot more if its Bregman with 2 outs as opposed to Yordan with 1 out. 
great tag. He still didn’t look out to me. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn

Probably opt out? I thought I saw news recently that him opting out is a done deal.