2022 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

Instead of moves at the MLB level, seems like we have a bunch of older fringy MLB guys on the AAA roster.  No idea how feasible it would be, but might be nice to flip some of those guys for some younger, higher ceiling guys if our AAAA players are never going to make our roster.

11 minutes ago, UTPhil2006 said:

Don't really care that Dubon is in for Tuve but damnit did he have to bat first?

Yes.  Yes he did.  It's Dusty's thing.  At least it's not Goodrum hitting second or third.  

It is so stupid.  I swear Papa Dusty does it just to fuck with us at this point in time. 

8 minutes ago, Ojo Rojo said:

Instead of moves at the MLB level, seems like we have a bunch of older fringy MLB guys on the AAA roster.  No idea how feasible it would be, but might be nice to flip some of those guys for some younger, higher ceiling guys if our AAAA players are never going to make our roster.

Next year is a big year for those guys to make the roster.  We will likely be losing (or see a seriously diminished role for) Diaz, Yuli, Brantley, Castro.  that should lead to opportunities for JJ, Jones, Chaz or Siri, Lee or some other catcher internally.  

Now- if they sign FA over the top of them- or make trades then yeah- those guys might as well be cut loose- but I get the sense that they will give those guys the chance to hold down a starting job (or timeshare) next year and see what they have.  JJ and Jones profile to be league average or better with the bat- Chaz as well.  Not so much Siri.  You'd think Lee is the backup catcher now, but the Astros are persnickity about defense at catcher so who knows- maybe it's someone else there.  

In the bullpen you have Montero moving on (potentially) but Click being the bullpen junkie he is I could see him making a run at Montero.  I would think that guy gets a nice offer somewhere though.  That means, essentially, you have to clear out some room in the rotation for Brown, (maybe Whitley) and your bullpen is pretty much intact, if you want it to be, plus Blake Taylor coming back.  Also- JV. I'd like to think he gets brought back for another 1/1 or a 3 year deal would be fine.  Once you have that figured out then you can figure out what to do with the surplus of average or better arms that aren't difference makers (really- Urquidy and Garcia- assuming Odo is dealt this trade deadline or doesn't pick up his option at a minimum).

36 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Next year is a big year for those guys to make the roster.  We will likely be losing (or see a seriously diminished role for) Diaz, Yuli, Brantley, Castro.  that should lead to opportunities for JJ, Jones, Chaz or Siri, Lee or some other catcher internally.  

Now- if they sign FA over the top of them- or make trades then yeah- those guys might as well be cut loose- but I get the sense that they will give those guys the chance to hold down a starting job (or timeshare) next year and see what they have.  JJ and Jones profile to be league average or better with the bat- Chaz as well.  Not so much Siri.  You'd think Lee is the backup catcher now, but the Astros are persnickity about defense at catcher so who knows- maybe it's someone else there.  

In the bullpen you have Montero moving on (potentially) but Click being the bullpen junkie he is I could see him making a run at Montero.  I would think that guy gets a nice offer somewhere though.  That means, essentially, you have to clear out some room in the rotation for Brown, (maybe Whitley) and your bullpen is pretty much intact, if you want it to be, plus Blake Taylor coming back.  Also- JV. I'd like to think he gets brought back for another 1/1 or a 3 year deal would be fine.  Once you have that figured out then you can figure out what to do with the surplus of average or better arms that aren't difference makers (really- Urquidy and Garcia- assuming Odo is dealt this trade deadline or doesn't pick up his option at a minimum).

Yeah, but there are only so many roster spots. You can't carry both diminished older players like Diaz, Yuli, Brantley and Castro and also their low-ceiling replacements - JJ, Jones, Chaz, Siri and Lee.  What I'm suggesting is that while we have this winning window with the current roster, let's unload that tier of players who are pretty good, but not good enough to make our team, in exchange for more and younger guys who are 3-4 years away instead of 0-2 years away.

• Hook 'Em 1

32 minutes ago, Ojo Rojo said:

Yeah, but there are only so many roster spots. You can't carry both diminished older players like Diaz, Yuli, Brantley and Castro and also their low-ceiling replacements - JJ, Jones, Chaz, Siri and Lee.  What I'm suggesting is that while we have this winning window with the current roster, let's unload that tier of players who are pretty good, but not good enough to make our team, in exchange for more and younger guys who are 3-4 years away instead of 0-2 years away.

Yeah I get it. What I’m saying is I don’t think any of those old guys are coming back and I think the new guys like JJ and Jones and Lee and Chaz take their spots next year. 
If we bring any of the old guys back or sign other FA I think you are right that that class of guys gets flipped for younger dudes.  

Edited by Wulaw Horn

44 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

this is the trade that somebody else makes and i get pissed off about.

reds / rays / Yankees / blue jays seem to be ‘ok’ at 1st, all with plenty of dh hitters. Maybe the twins ?

havent browsed NL teams 

Edited by tx 3 putt

reds / rays / Yankees / blue jays seem to be ‘ok’ at 1st, all with plenty of dh hitters. Maybe the twins ?
havent browsed NL teams 
Jays would take him and just DH him/vlady

Brewers, Twins, Red Sox typically come up on lists regarding him

I know we've won the last few, but I'm really getting tired of having to play from behind
Chill. Just trying to punk the Yankees once more by catching them on "most come from behind wins wooooo gig em!! Derp derp!! Fap fap Jeter fap fap Judge....I just rose!"
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Gut Wagon said:

It's one thing to mow down the punchless Yankees. But I guess we can't realistically expect the same results against this lineup. 

It might be 5 if Witt was healthy. Yankees quietly acquiring about several Royals.

Edited by HtownHorn