2022 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

4 minutes ago, Snake Diggity said:

1B: Gurriel is hitting well the last 2 months; he is the 2021 batting champion and a clubhouse leader; I wouldn’t call that “glaring” but regardless they went out and got Mancini and Vazquez to upgrade the position.

LF: Brantley has a 128 wRC+ on the year; McCormick has been well above average at 111.  Again, wouldn’t call that glaring but they addressed it with Mancini.

Catcher: it is clear the Astros have a totally different value on defense, gamecalling, and pitcher management than fans (and most other teams).  But again, they addressed with Vazquez.

CF: With Meyers being hurt this is the only reasonable spot you can say they have a “glaring” hole.  But McCormick has been well above average here.  And even with a gimpy arm and obvious rust Meyers grades very well on defense and merely bad (not horrible) on offense.  If you assume he just needs a couple of weeks to get healthy and into a groove then this wouldn’t be viewed as a glaring hole.  But even if it is, what would you have had Click do?  Give up Luis Garcia for Harrison fuckin Bader?  No star CF got moved.  To beat out SD for Soto it would have taken something suicidal like Garcia, Javier, Brown, Leon, Whitley, and Diaz, and even that probably would not have beaten out the haul Washington got.  Who knows what the asking prices for Mullins and Reynolds and Happ were but they were high enough that no other team pulled the trigger.  So I guess it’s something to whine about but it doesn’t appear there was any realistic alternative to standing pat other than getting raped.

Brantley ain't playing again this year, McCormick can't hit against RHP, Gurriel's hot streak is completely unsustainable and still has no power with an OBP under .300, Mancini is one person and can't cover both holes at LF and 1B at the same time. This offense doesn't score runs because they have too many shitty hitters, 5 batters with OBP under .310 starting today. You aren't going to consistently score runs when players don't get on base.

There were plenty of realistic bats you could have gotten for nothing. Today's deadline proved it. Michael Taylor would have been a significant improvement over Meyers, and you could have gotten him for very little.

This team is one Alvarez injury away from being awful on offense. I don't understand it, why not maximize the chances to win a championship when your team is this good. Fuck, Joey Gallo would have improved this team. Hunter Brown was the only guy that should have been untradable, everyone else in this organization should have been available. It is very rare to get a Jeff Bagwell. Do you remember any of the players that the Astros got for Oswalt, Berkman, Lidge and Pence? I bet none of them came close to those players.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Gut Wagon said:

I'm embarrassed for Tucker, whether he is or not. I literally was hoping he'd go up there and at least try to bunt...but I guess we're just too manly for that. 

At this point Dusty has to be the manager, and of course Diaz would have had a sac fly.

Edited by HtownHorn

2 minutes ago, Guadaloopy said:

Really just one.  Tucker’s sucked.   Diaz got unlucky.  Peña just missed it. 

and yet, if Tucker does anything to move the runners up, Diaz scores Alvarez from 3rd. It's supposed to be a team sport, but the Astros play more like a collection of individuals.

2 minutes ago, Mitch Hedberg said:

New guys PH in 9th or we goin down with Jake and Maldy?

Which underscores the question of why they are even playing?

3 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

So Dusty didn’t play Mancini and Vasquez tonight because…? They were in their feelings?

Please sign me up to be traded from Baltimore/Boston, put me up in a suite at the Post Oak, and pay me millions of dollars. I’ll bounce back in about 5 seconds. 

Come on, dude.  Mancini had an exhausting flight from Cincinnati and Vasquez had a strenuous hike from the visitor’s clubhouse.  Perspective ..