2022 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

5 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

Everyone one is talking about Odo’s contract being terrible. He’s due to make $6.5M next year. That’s lower-middle class in today’s MLB

Yep.  The money isn’t big.  But the Astros have several options that provide better value than Odo - less money for the same or better level of performance.  

2 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

Everyone one is talking about Odo’s contract being terrible. He’s due to make $6.5M next year. That’s lower-middle class in today’s MLB

When you might have to offer JV $35-$40M, have Bregs moving from $11M to $28.5, and have a holes to fill at 1B and LF, every little bit helps. 

7 minutes ago, kevwun said:

He has some performance clauses that roughly double his salary and buyout.  I am not sure if he has met them.

Yeah I could be wrong, but I thought I read somewhere last night that after 1 more start he should reach those.  I can't find where I read that at now though 

Edit: OK so what I am seeing is he still should be short for awhile at least:

• 2023 player option includes a $3.25M buyout
    Option escalates $2M & buyout increases $1M each for:
    20, 25, 30 starts, or any game with 12+ outs, max $12.5M/$6.25M
  • 2022 Incentives:
    $500,000 for 100 innings pitched
    $1M each for 110, 120, 130, 140, 150 innings pitched
    $1.25M for 160 innings pitched
Edited by Scraps
more info
  • Like 1

Odorizzi's contract bonuses.

Spoiler

The contract of Odorizzi plays a role here. He’s making $5 million this year (about $1.79 million remaining), but would win $500,000 if he hit 100 innings, plus $1 million each on 110, 120, 130, 140 and 150 innings. Odorizzi is currently at 60 innings, so 120 seems like the likely upper limit. Odorizzi also has a $6.5 million player option with a $3.25 million buyout, but as Chandler Rome of the Houston Chronicle explains, “Odorizzi’s player option can be exercised at a base salary of $12.5 million.” Dollars and a $6.25 million buyout – but only if he tackles with 30 games where he gets 12 or more outs in 2021-22. After Sunday, Odorizzi has 29 such games in 2021-22.” Given that the pitcher appears to have at least $3 million at stake to get another four-inning start, it was mutually beneficial for the Astros to find a team that would make him more comfortable hitting that threshold and getting a few performance bonuses.

• Like 1

I think Michael Taylor would likely be the best CF improvement that wouldn't cost much in prospects. +9 DRS in CF and has a career high BB%, and hitting a solid .280/.352/.395. Wouldn't be shocked if his StatCast data shows he would have double digit HRs in MMP compared to Kaufmann. Yep. he'd have 10 in MMP. Also. signed for a respectable $4.5M next year.

Edited by HtownHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

I think Michael Taylor would likely be the best CF improvement that wouldn't cost much in prospect cost. +9 DRS in CF and has a career high BB%, and hitting a solid .280/.352/.395. Wouldn't be shocked if his StatCast data shows he would have double digit HRs in MMP compared to Kaufmann. Yep. he'd have 10 in MMP.

and he's under contract through next year.

9 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

I think Michael Taylor would likely be the best CF improvement that wouldn't cost much in prospects. +9 DRS in CF and has a career high BB%, and hitting a solid .280/.352/.395. Wouldn't be shocked if his StatCast data shows he would have double digit HRs in MMP compared to Kaufmann. Yep. he'd have 10 in MMP. Also. signed for a respectable $4.5M next year.

Michael A. Taylor can do that job.

2 minutes ago, kevwun said:

I don't even want to guess what the Padres gave up and yeah, much better than the Dodgers or Yankees.

10:47am: The Padres and Nationals are in agreement on a deal that sends Soto and first baseman Josh Bell to San Diego, Morosi reports. San Diego will send back rookie shortstop C.J. Abrams, top outfield prospect Robert Hassell III, right-hander Jarlin Susana and top outfield prospect James Wood, according to Morosi.