2022 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

19 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Which goes to show you we need another bat. I

Tonight we were temporarily missing THREE MLB bats in Bregman, Mancini, and Vazquez and you're whining that we need to go get another bat?

These guys are all playing tomorrow or the next day or three. Calm down. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, WBT said:

I'd feel a lot better about today if I thought there was a chance in hell we'd start the catcher with a wRC+ of 110 over the one with a wRC+ of 66.  Someone change my mind.

Or Dusty figures out who to hit in the right part of the platoon.  
Giving him a shitty lefty reliever is a bad idea. He will use him in the wrong situations. 
they should just DFA Maldy and Yuli if they get Josh Bell, to keep Dusty from using guys with wRC of half the new guys. You need to present him with like a 20 man roster if you want the best guys to play. 

I’m taking my son on a trip for his birthday to North Carolina in the mountains. Rapids, waterfall hikes, tubing, repelling, zip lining etc. he’s turning 10. Hopefully he loves this. it’s a 15 hour drive. I can’t help the fact that his school starts so early his birthday trip fell on baseball pretend GM Christmas morning. 
It’s probably for the best or I might spontaneously combust. Pulled over to spend the night at a Hampton in buttfuck Alabama bc he was like dad- we need to stop. It’s midnight. My bedtime is 8:30. 

• Hook 'Em 5

Reminder to all the Click bashers that the Astros signed Jose Siri in Dec 2020 to a minor league contract as an free agent and gave up nothing for him. Less than two years later they flipped him to the Rays and Chayce McDermott to Baltimore and got Trey Mancini and a young pitching prospect in return.

• Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

Reminder to all the Click bashers that the Astros signed Jose Siri in Dec 2020 to a minor league contract as an free agent and gave up nothing for him. Less than two years later they flipped him to the Rays and Chayce McDermott to Baltimore and got Trey Mancini and a young pitching prospect in return.

it's almost as if they know what they're doing 

8 minutes ago, Jshep34 said:

Have it on very good source that Crane told Click to go out and get a SP, C, 1b and CF. Crane didnt want excuses, he wants results. Depending on what happens will determine if Click has a job.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

That would be amazing. You and Julia have the best pillow talk. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, runthebone said:

So…Trout?

If I was the angels I’d trade Ohtani for a kings ransom tomorrow and seriously consider trading Trout for pretty much whatever prospects based package that didn’t bring back any money. Truth serum pumped into all 30 GM’s I wonder how many of them would want anything to do with that contract and his recent injury history and being on the wrong side of 30. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Jshep34 said:

Have it on very good source that Crane told Click to go out and get a SP, C, 1b and CF. Crane didnt want excuses, he wants results. Depending on what happens will determine if Click has a job.

Not questioning your source but if Crane is threatening Click’s job at this point he is not as savvy of an owner as I thought he was.  Click has been excellent.  On the whole, the trades, free agency signings, and player development in his short tenure have been easily on par with what Luhnow did.  He hasn’t made a blockbuster move yet, but he’s gotten this team to the ALCS and World Series so his performance has met/exceeded any reasonable bar.

• Hook 'Em 2

6 hours ago, Jshep34 said:

That makes me happy that we have an owner committed to win now but it concerns me that Click has to be told by ownership to get these players and doesn’t have the drive to do so himself.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Snake Diggity said:

Not questioning your source but if Crane is threatening Click’s job at this point he is not as savvy of an owner as I thought he was.  Click has been excellent.  On the whole, the trades, free agency signings, and player development in his short tenure have been easily on par with what Luhnow did.  He hasn’t made a blockbuster move yet, but he’s gotten this team to the ALCS and World Series so his performance has met/exceeded any reasonable bar.

On par with Luhnow. And you’re being serious. I’m glad Crane is lighting a fire under Click. The WS is ripe for our taking this year 

8 hours ago, runthebone said:

Well, Odor wasn't going to be on the playoff roster, Smith may be useful, and at least he will take innings from Maton.

Perhaps most importantly, we get rid of Odorizzi's vesting contract for next season. Smith has a team option with a cheap buyout for next season. If he sucks, he won't be wont he playoff roster just like Odo wouldn't have been. But, unlike Odo, we can decline his option and hopefully give that money to JV instead. 

26 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Perhaps most importantly, we get rid of Odorizzi's vesting contract for next season. Smith has a team option with a cheap buyout for next season. If he sucks, he won't be wont he playoff roster just like Odo wouldn't have been. But, unlike Odo, we can decline his option and hopefully give that money to JV instead. 

Yep after seeing Ben DuBose twitter about all this I get it, and know that we weren't going to get anything spectacular for Jake because of the dumbass contract we gave him.   Which was the main problem in the first place.  Hopefully Smith somehow pulls his head out of his ass the for the next 3 months and then we just move on from all parties involved.  

Edited by Scraps
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

Maybe we got Smith just to pitch to Duran. A day late.... 

Seriously, back in early season Odo was getting lit up but had a sudden turnaround after JV offered him some pointers. Not sure what they were, as Odo declined to reveal, but from that point forward he usually pitched  pretty well. The injury obviously was a bump in the road, but he made some solid contributions after he got that "coaching." Maybe other teams looked at that and decided Jake's too big a mental question mark to be worth a lot. Not saying he should have brought more than Smith, but I'd hoped he might. 

It's the combination of being a mediocre starter and his contract.  The Astros didn't want to pay him next year.  This was basically a salary dump.  They would have gotten someone more useful if he didn't have another year on his deal.

Edited by kevwun
  • Hook 'Em 2