2022 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

2 minutes ago, formermav43 said:

That's a great deal, if that's it's final form. Per Fangraphs, McDermott is a 40 and Murray a 40+ - so they swapped one pitching prospect for another that is roughly equal, maybe better. So they basically traded Siri for Mancini straight up. That's a win.

Not sure about Murray's Rule 5 eligibility. If he's not eligible after this season, this looks like an even swap. 

Just now, Ojo Rojo said:

Siri was expendable.  Good trade.

Picked him after he was DFA'd last season. Turned him into Trey Mancini. Not bad. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Hank Chinaski said:

I like it. Mancini has a career 113 wRC+ and can play OF and 1B. Bell has a career wRC+ of 118 and can’t play in the OF, and would have cost considerably more (presumably). I like Bell more as a pure hitter but position flexibility has value and he was relatively cheap. 

Plus, it gives more flexibility to play Yuli and hopefully he gets right throughout the rest of the season and the playoffs.

2 minutes ago, Hank Chinaski said:

I like it. Mancini has a career 113 wRC+ and can play OF and 1B. Bell has a career wRC+ of 118 and can’t play in the OF, and would have cost considerably more (presumably). I like Bell more as a pure hitter but position flexibility has value and he was relatively cheap. 

Bell did play 60 innings in the outfield last year. Only 1 game though this year.

Plus, Mancini has a MO for $10M next year, so he's likely not a walk year bat, and gives you a 1B for next year. The Rays pitcher likely gets put on our 40 man as I don't see Brantley, Gurriel, or Castro on it next year. The Siri move makes sense, as now the Astros can just put Mancini in that spot on the 40.

I get this move from both the Astros and Orioles standpoint. The real puzzler for me is TB, who gave up 2 prospects (the one going to Baltimore is top 100! he's headed for Tommy John, but who doesn't these days?) for Siri. 

Rays love good defensive outfielders like Kevin Kiermier(sp?) . Also you forgot about the prospect the Rays got back from the Astros.

Edited by rvm96

I get this move from both the Astros and Orioles standpoint. The real puzzler for me is TB, who gave up 2 prospects (the one going to Baltimore is top 100! he's headed for Tommy John, but who doesn't these days?) for Siri. 

They must be desperate for someone who can play a good cf.  

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, kevwun said:

I liked him as long as he wasn't at the plate, but yeah he's definitely a spaz.

When he's hitting, Siri is the "free spirit" who keeps it light in the clubhouse and energizes both the team and the fans. When he's not hitting (which is to say, nearly all the time) he's just an annoying spare. Adios, bro. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, rvm96 said:

Rays love good defensive outfielders like Kevin Kiermier(sp?) . Also you forgot about the prospect the Rays got back from the Astros.

The Rays didn't get a prospect from the Astros, unless the reporting has changed. The only prospect I have seen that Houston sent out is McDermott to Baltimore. Which is why I find the move strange for them.

Edited by formermav43

2 minutes ago, rvm96 said:

The Astros aren't sending a prospect to the Rays. 

Hou gets Mancini and Rays' AA pitcher

Rays get Siri

Bal gets Astros pitcher and Rays pitcher

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, formermav43 said:

The Rays didn't get a prospect from the Astros, unless the reporting has changed. The only prospect I have seen that Houston sent out is McDermott to Baltimore. Which is why I find the move strange for them.

You're right, but my point still stands. They love outfield defense and teams will think they can make Siri work with his stats from last year the MLB level and AAA this year.

4 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

The Astros aren't sending a prospect to the Rays. 

Hou gets Mancini and Rays' AA pitcher

Rays get Siri

Bal gets Astros pitcher and Rays pitcher

TRADE DETAILS
Orioles get: RHP Seth Johnson (Rays' No. 6 prospect) and RHP Chayce McDermott (Astros' No. 12 prospect)
Astros get: 1B/DH Trey Mancini (from Orioles) and RHP Jayden Murray (from Rays)
Rays get: OF Jose Siri (from Astros)

21 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Plus, Mancini has a MO for $10M next year, so he's likely not a walk year bat, and gives you a 1B for next year. The Rays pitcher likely gets put on our 40 man as I don't see Brantley, Gurriel, or Castro on it next year. The Siri move makes sense, as now the Astros can just put Mancini in that spot on the 40.

I can't see Mancini accepting that option for 2023.  Crane will probably need to sign him to a long-term deal or he will be a free agent after this season,

1 minute ago, rvm96 said:

You're right, but my point still stands. They love outfield defense and teams will think they can make Siri work with his stats from last year the MLB level and AAA this year.

Oh I get why they would want him. But it seems like they gave up a LOT to get him.

Love this trade.

Siri is a poor man's Juan Soto.  Bye.

Mancini is still only 30, he can play 1B in case Yuli's worthless by next season, and if Yuli comes around then Mancini can platoon in outfield spots and pinch hit.  

Jesus, I just looked it up and I didn't realize Siri's already 27.  We traded a 27-year-old-maybe-someday for a 30-year-old legit Major Leaguer.

Love it.

11 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

Love this trade.

Siri is a poor man's Juan Soto.  Bye.

Mancini is still only 30, he can play 1B in case Yuli's worthless by next season, and if Yuli comes around then Mancini can platoon in outfield spots and pinch hit.  

Jesus, I just looked it up and I didn't realize Siri's already 27.  We traded a 27-year-old-maybe-someday for a 30-year-old legit Major Leaguer.

Love it.

Comparing Siri to Soto at all is the worst comparison I've ever seen.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, rvm96 said:

I mean, one is arguably going to be the best hitter of his generation, reached the majors as a teenager, and is a defensive liability; the other is an elite defender who strikes out a third of the time and can't stick in the big leagues in his late 20s.

They're practically the same guy.

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, rvm96 said:

That's kinda the point.  Poor man's Juan Soto.  You get all the attitude and look-at-me bullshit and not only do you not get the All Star production, you don't even get everyday major leaguer production.

Edited by TexArcher
  • Like 1