2022 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

1 minute ago, WBT said:

Unless you plan to trade for Ruth of Balco Bonds, I have bad news for you.

Well, yeah- but it’s harder to pitch around him the deeper the lineup is. Both situations where guys are on in front of him so you don’t want to potentially create a really big inning, and where guys behind him are proven run producers. In a deep lineup a free BB 10 times in a series is a weapon for us imo. 

2 minutes ago, WBT said:

It's almost like watching us lose our last 2 WS to inferior teams makes me not care about marginal improvements at the deadline.  It will come down to luck and who gets hot.

That’s a nihilism Incant subscribe to, but that’s just because I’m too weak willed to stare into the abyss and embrace the nothingness. I suspect there is a point to what you say, but I’d prefer to say I’ve done all that can reasonably be done before tossing the dice and letting that fucking bitch chance take over. 

22 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

Great So judge can walk it off in the bottom of the 9th

Or fly out as the tying run.  Yankees lose, we're 2 games back, get back the one we gave away yesterday.

Edited by WBT
Counting how does it work
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, kevwun said:

I would like to thank Servais for not walking Yordan.  That was real dumb.  I suppose the odds of him winning the game weren't 100%, but it was real close.

1204165.jpg?b64lines=

It was left on left and Bregman would have come up as a righty with the bases loaded.

You! Strawberry! Good effort today. Take a lap and hit the showers. I'm putting in a right-handed batter.

Pinch-hitting for me?

Yes. You're a left-hander... and so is the pitcher. If I send up a right-handed batter... it's called playing the percentages. It's what smart managers do to win ball games.

I've got nine home runs.

You should be very proud. Sit down. Simpson! You're batting for Strawberry.

Edited by WBT

1 hour ago, Wulaw Horn said:

The offense has been a problem all year that’s been acknowledged by everyone since @slorchhas given up on publicly acknowledged he was wrong in  asking me if Yuli is an average hitter after every successful AB, sometime in May. 
Feels like there’s only 2 guys that are going to consistently hurt you in Altuve and Yordan, and in the playoffs Yordan will just get pitched around. 

Thought we were past that.  I'm almost certain you acknowledged my admitting my questioning was misplaced.

LFG!!!

Bregman is a lot more likely give you a short pop up or gidp, even if he is swinging pretty well right now.

Also, @Wulaw Horn has a good point about teams pitching around Yordan in the playoffs.  The Yankees series were a good preview of what will happen in the postseason.  He's going to get walked alot.

Edited by kevwun

9 minutes ago, slorch said:

Thought we were past that.  I'm almost certain you acknowledged my admitting my questioning was misplaced.

LFG!!!

Tried to rep you but couldn’t. Out of rep. It wasn’t a shot at you so much as saying that it’s been acknowledged all year this offense isn’t great. Or even really good. 

3 minutes ago, WBT said:

Yes he is.  Good thing walks are good.

2 minutes ago, kevwun said:

They are if you capitalize on them.  Another good bat helps the odds of doing that.

Yep. A deep lineup makes that a weapon for us. Yordan, Altuve and JAGS makes it a problem. 

3 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

we should move yordan up to 2nd.  he should never hit later than 3rd.  took dusty a while to get there.

Yep. My dream lineup if the trades I called for were to happen:

Altuve

Alvarez

Bregman

Tucker

Bell

Contreras

Happ

Brantley/Chas platoon

Peña. 
this would be imminently possible for one of our surplus starters and 3 top 20 prospects (something like 6, 12 and 20). 
@WBTprobably isn’t wrong about the nihilism that is the post season baseball tournament but that’s stacking your odds as much as possible going into the playoffs. Even if it’s not those 3 guys, obviously, the top 4 still makes sense as Altuve/YA/Bregman/Tucker. That’s your ideal too 4 regardless. Just have to add depth down the lineup or you can’t make that happen because you’d have just 2 innings at a time on sort of cruise control for the other team. 

Biggest impact will be trading for a CF, he’ll get instant start time.

I’ll guess that Diaz is the back up plan for brantley, the guy was an all star and starter before coming to the Astros. He’s already showing his bat like playing every day. 

Edited by tx 3 putt

1 minute ago, tx 3 putt said:

Biggest impact will be trading for a CF, he’ll get instant start time.

I’ll guess that Diaz is the back up plan for brantley, the guy was an all star and starter before coming to the Astros. He’s already showing his bat like playing golf every day. 

It would be trading for a 1B. It’s a much easier position to upgrade the bat even in a vacuum, and McCormick is out hitting Yuli.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, formermav43 said:

It would be trading for a 1B. It’s a much easier position to upgrade the bat even in a vacuum, and McCormick is out hitting Yuli.

Yes. Astros fans live Yuli (and Maldy). Both can be well upgraded batwise. Maldy plays a premium defensive position. Yuli plays one where you typically put your donkeys. There is justification for not upgrading Maldy because of the defensive spectrum. There is no justification for not upgrading 1B (or LF if we are being honest.). 

13 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

It takes two to dance 

anyone curious why Siri’s name keeps popping up in trade talks. Surly thread would send him for nothing and all these paid mlb people wanting to trade for him ???

He might be the best CF defender in the world. That has value to some people I’m sure. He has huge raw power and all the athleticism that goes with his great CF defense. He can’t hit. Some teams probably figure they’d love 5 years to see if  they can’t unlock that and turn him in to an all star. He’s 27 or 28 so that will probably never happen. But worth a shot for a team going nowhere to bite the bullet and give him 500 MLB AB’s. 

5 minutes ago, runthebone said:

Diaz had that one month last year when he went nuts then was bad the rest of the year.  I'm not sure I would trust this is sustainable.

if we trade for a starter, he needs to start here. Hard to keep that bat going when you’re a rational / bench player 

Edited by tx 3 putt

3 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

You could easily get 2 OFs and move Diaz to 1B. Diaz and Gurriel make an ideal platoon. Diaz hits RHP pitching and Gurriel hits LHP pitching.

Diaz - .793 career OPS against RHP

Gurriel - .815  career OPS against LHP

If you really wanted to go cheap get one good OF and one LHB to platoon with Chas. Ideally that would be Brantley but Dusty would have to make the blindingly obvious move to actually platoon Chas with Brantley. 

2 minutes ago, runthebone said:

Season series finishes 12-7, but now we need to play really well because based on the past 30 days, Seattle is going to go undefeated the rest of the season.

That’s going to make it bad that we lost the game on Saturday. Will now have to go 47-12 to force the tie. Otherwise we’d have only had to go 45-14. That’s a tough ask. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Wulaw Horn said:

What was the rumor? 

i saw a really decisive josh bell rumor on twitter like it had been confirmed on both sides as acceptable and was possibly going to happen soon, and then others came in and said it was bullshit.

no idea what was posted here, but likely something like that.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Pimphand said:

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/34324990/los-angeles-angels-starter-reid-detmers-records-immaculate-inning-texas-rangers

Arlington manned down yet again tying the 1979 Giants for most times immaculated in a season.

I'm all for them setting this record.

I think this has only been done what like less than 50 times in baseball history?  The fact that it’s been done 3 times in a season twice now is pretty crazy. 
baseball is the best. Except when it’s the worst. 

2 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I think this has only been done what like less than 50 times in baseball history?  The fact that it’s been done 3 times in a season twice now is pretty crazy. 
baseball is the best. Except when it’s the worst. 

Today was the 109th.

Confirmed there have only been 4 players affiliated with 3 immaculate innings.

Sandy Koufax

Chris Sale

Max Scherzer

Eziquiel Duran

Someone queue up Sesame Street for Arlington. One of these things is not like the other things one of these things does not belong....

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1