2022 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

On 9/30/2022 at 4:13 PM, Guadaloopy said:

Counterpoint: Peña’s going to win us a game in the playoffs.  

On 9/30/2022 at 8:33 AM, Guadaloopy said:

I'm hanging my hat on the early season walk-off against the Blue Jays as an indicator for post-season success.

I said what I said.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

a couple of concerns going into the playoffs:

- Valdez has been shellshocked lately

- Cleveland is hot AF

Also, I'd like to see Hunter Brown as the closer when Pressly can't make it if he pitched the night before, for example. 

If we see Cleveland it’s in the ALCS. I’m going to call that a win for everyone other than the scalpers. 

• Like 1

I want to see Brown get a 3 inning outing against the Phillies.  His last 3 games have been 1 inning only and it would be a waste to make him a 1 inning guy in the playoffs imo.  He should be piggybacking with someone with the idea of going 2-4 innings to close out a game.

17 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

Radio talk, sid mejdal with the orioles could be high on crane’s ‘want list’ for next gm 

Hard to imagine Crane would move on from Click if we win the WS, but, if we don't or he decides to make a move anyway, Sig would be at the top of my list. Pair him with Espada and keep the train moving. 

• Hook 'Em 5

31 minutes ago, WBT said:

I want to see Brown get a 3 inning outing against the Phillies.  His last 3 games have been 1 inning only and it would be a waste to make him a 1 inning guy in the playoffs imo.  He should be piggybacking with someone with the idea of going 2-4 innings to close out a game.

Ford basically asked click this yesterday in the pregame show. (What to expect for pitching this series)

He waffled a bit because of the number off day before and during the LDS, but my read-between-the-lines is that I would be surprised if Brown doesn’t get a multi-inning outing this series 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Hard to imagine Crane would move on from Click if we win the WS, but, if we don't or he decides to make a move anyway, Sig would be at the top of my list. Pair him with Espada and keep the train moving. 

Rumor has it Crane wanted Correa back and Click put his foot down (which seems bizarre…that usually goes the other way. but I can see Click saying “hell no” to a lengthy, pricey contract that really hamstrings you ability to put together a competent roster in a few years).

but if that’s true and Peña underperforms in the month Correa has historically shone the brightest, look out.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, UTexasFight said:

Rumor has it Crane wanted Correa back and Click put his foot down (which seems bizarre…that usually goes the other way. but I can see Click saying “hell no” to a lengthy, pricey contract that really hamstrings you ability to put together a competent roster in a few years).

but if that’s true and Peña underperforms in the month Correa has historically shone the brightest, look out.

I saw somewhere else, twitter probably, that Crane wanted us to go after Marte in the offseason and Hendriks the year before and was disappointed that we didn't land them. Not sure how much to believe as it seems like Click wouldn't just ignore Crane's wishes, but who knows. Click has been fine, but Sig would do just as well and likely better. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I believe 790 has stated Dubon is JV's personal CF, and Dusty loves his "arm". 

We all know that, the point is that you can do that type of stupid shit in the regular season but can't in the playoffs.

Edited by runthebone
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, TonyTexas said:

He’s got another arb year so we wouldn’t be competing with anyone for his services. He’s making $2.1M this year. He’ll be 32 next season. I don’t think I’d extend him. 

This is correct. Stanek is the kind of guy you get the last 3 arb for under 10 million, shake his hand and let him walk. 

4 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

I saw somewhere else, twitter probably, that Crane wanted us to go after Marte in the offseason and Hendriks the year before and was disappointed that we didn't land them. Not sure how much to believe as it seems like Click wouldn't just ignore Crane's wishes, but who knows. Click has been fine, but Sig would do just as well and likely better. 

So the current pitching staff would bolster Click's case, wouldn't it?

4 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Nothing really surprises me about Crane. He's been a great owner for the city, but he's not a very ethical person. His shipping company had plenty of issues, but apparently, he didn't know what was going on there either.

I would be in favor of Sig rejoining the organization, he had a lot to do with the success of the analytics department, though pulling Elias would be the big dick on the table move.

• Hook 'Em 2

5 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Reiter spends a good amount of time in “Astroball” telling Sig’s story and about the impact he had on the team.  It was fascinating stuff, and I would love to see him back with the organization.  

He was part of the brain drain after 2019 before the scandal broke.   What a shitty off-season that was.  

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, slorch said:

So the current pitching staff would bolster Click's case, wouldn't it?

Not sure who you are referencing specifically, but JV, LMJ, Framber, Javier, Urquidy, Garcia, Pressly, and Abreu all signed (or were acquired in JV's case) prior to Click's hire.

Stanek, Montero, Neris, Smith, and Maton are Click's acquisitions. 

To be clear, I don't think Click deserves to be fired based on the on-the-field results, but, if Crane's unhappy with him, I would like to see Sig at the helm.

Edited by Seasick Sailor
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Not sure who you are referencing specifically, but JV, LMJ, Framber, Javier, Urquidy, Garcia, Pressly, and Abreu all signed (or were acquired in JV's case) prior to Click's hire.

Stanek, Montero, Neris, Smith, and Maton are Click's acquisitions. 

To be clear, I don't think Click deserves to be fired based on the on-the-field results, but, if Crane's unhappy with him, I would like to see Sig at the helm.

My point was suggesting the moves Click DIDN'T make could be shown to have strengthened the team, as opposed to signing Martes, et al.

Edited by slorch