2022 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

19 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

What’s your order of preference for LDS opponent (after #1: it don’t make a shit)

I’m going:

1) Mariners

2) Rays

3) Blue Jays

Ideal scenario for me would be M’s passing Rays for the #5 slot and taking out the Jays in the WC round.

Rays getting Glasnow back last night makes them stronger and stronger the longer they can stay in it.

It dont

make a 

shit 

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, texashorne said:

If you look at the FA outfielders available this offseason then you'll realize how appealing Brantley is. 

do you want him in the Astros line up or blue jays line up ?

brantley / jake

Hensley / whoever 

im a hard pass on mancini, his hitting has disappeared 

we have a young catcher to trade and a young starter 

Edited by tx 3 putt

3 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

do you want him in the Astros line up or blue jays line up ?

brantley / jake

Hensley / whoever 

im a hard pass on mancini, his hitting has disappeared 

we have a young catcher to trade and a young starter 

Blue jays. His power has disappeared and he’s coming off major surgery. He is, in all likelihood, done as a major contributor to a quality team. 
look at how much trouble a plus athlete in Jake Meyers in his prime had returning from a shoulder injury this year and multiply that by 10. 
He’s most likely, not worth the roster spot to the Astros. He brings nothing defensively to the table barely playing passably the second easiest fielding position on the diamond and major questions around his bat. Best case scenario you get a 2 WAR player, while paying him real money and clogging a roster spot. Worst case he’s bad, but a trusted veteran, and drags down the offense like Yuli has this entire year. 

• Hook 'Em 1

if he really wants to stay in houston, he can sign a one-year incentive-heavy deal and we'll see what happens.  worst case he gets hurt or isn't good enough to play.  yordan is a better defensive lf right now, so brantley is probably your dh, which sucks.

it was really nice having him hit 2nd because he made a lot of contact.  but he has no power and pena has emerged as an exciting 2 hole guy.  assuming of course that yordan never bats 2nd, where he should.  i think i would rather pena 1st and altuve 2nd.

1st base is what i'm most concerned about in 2023 and beyond.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

if he really wants to stay in houston, he can sign a one-year incentive-heavy deal and we'll see what happens.  worst case he gets hurt or isn't good enough to play.  yordan is a better defensive lf right now, so brantley is probably your dh, which sucks.

it was really nice having him hit 2nd because he made a lot of contact.  but he has no power and pena has emerged as an exciting 2 hole guy.  assuming of course that yordan never bats 2nd, where he should.  i think i would rather pena 1st and altuve 2nd.

1st base is what i'm most concerned about in 2023 and beyond.

All of this is true. I really wish Diaz would have gotten 100 AB’s this month so we could both see if A) he is a better option for the playoffs than Yuli and B) if he’s an option to play there next year. All the off-season money that doesn’t go to Verlander needs to be spent on Abreu at 1B, and if not him than someone else really really good with the stick. Chaz can play LF in a platoon with Yordan and go get a CF in the trade market (the options are ass in FA) and have a lineup that goes 5-6 ish high quality deep with Peña being average-ish and Lf being all star with the platoon out there and Maldy as our old reliable black hole. The fact that we are only 4 deep in high quality AB’s this year heading into the playoffs in concerning. We need Altuve and Alvarez to be Awesome and carry us and Bregman and Tucker to do their thing. And hope that’s enough. Which it probably is if the big guns are awesome. 

2 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

I think the cubs go hard after him 

They should. That’s a big market team that has been accumulating talent for a while, could use a franchise face, can make financial moves of things start going well to chase a wild card without getting ahead of themselves, and can afford to pay him both now, and on the back end of the young kids they’ve drafted and traded for hit. 
They have to develop 3-5 of their own pieces but they can use money to supplement and fill multiple holes through FA. 

4 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

can anyone cut and paste, astro / click / crane / dusty talk ....

https://theathletic.com/3643415/2022/09/30/mlb-manager-change-candidates/

Houston Astros

Does anyone else find it odd that Click and Baker are not certain to return when their three-year partnership has resulted in an ALCS appearance, a World Series appearance and an expectation the team again will play deep into October?

Good. I thought maybe I was missing something.

To understand the situation in Houston, go back to Jan. 13, 2020, and owner Jim Crane’s firings of GM Jeff Luhnow and manager AJ Hinch in the wake of the team’s penalties for illegal sign stealing. Crane hired Baker, a veteran manager, 16 days later, and Click, a first-time GM, five days after that. Usually, the GM comes first, then they pick the manager. But Crane needed the stability Baker could offer before he could worry about the GM.

GettyImages-1349279129-scaled.jpg

Astros owner Jim Crane (Elsa / Getty Images)

In the three years since, the Astros have won the most regular-season games in the American League. And yet, their internal dynamics are fragile. Baker and Click occasionally clash over the GM’s desire for a more analytical approach. The bigger problem, though, appears to be between Crane and Click.

Crane is difficult, demanding and heavily involved in baseball operations, acting almost as an owner/GM. He said he had no knowledge of the Astros’ illegal sign stealing in 2017 and 2018, and some in the organization believe he took a more active role because he did not want to get blind-sided and embarrassed again. In any case, Crane does not trust Click the way he trusted Luhnow, with whom he worked for eight seasons, enduring a painful rebuild and then enjoying great, albeit tainted, success. Crane also is more inclined to act quickly and boldly than Click, who came from the Rays, a more frugal, deliberate operation.

None of Click’s transactions has been particularly flashy — Crane handles major signings — but most qualified as solid. Click acquired Phil Maton, a quality reliever, and catcher/first baseman Yainer Diaz, the Astros’ No. 3 prospect, for center fielder Myles Straw, who has the lowest OPS in the majors with the Guardians. Click also hit on a number of other bullpen moves, a minor trade for Brooks Raley, a bigger one for Kendall Graveman and Rafael Montero, and the free-agent signings of Ryne Stanek and Héctor Neris. His in-season haul this year, however — utility Mauricio Dubón, catcher Christian Vázquez, designated hitter Trey Mancini and lefty reliever Will Smith — was decidedly modest.

Click, 44, has succeeded in not screwing up a good thing, which is not always as easy as it looks. And keep in mind, he’s working with a manager he inherited, a manager with his own ideas, a manager who draws credibility from his 2,089 career regular-season victories, ninth on the all-time list. Baker, 73, wants to keep going, too, even if he wins his first World Series as a manager. “People are all, wouldn’t you want to go out on top?” Baker told me last year. “No … I need two in a row.”

Baker, who tends to rely on his instincts and experience, probably would be a handful for any of today’s data-driven GMs. But he is not a total dinosaur, closed off from all information. His pitching coaches help create game plans and shape pitching decisions. Espada, his bench coach, also serves as a strategic resource. And, lest anyone forget, Baker just keeps winning. For all he has accomplished, for all the leadership he provided the organization coming out of the sign-stealing scandal, he deserves to go out on his own terms. Crane couldn’t justify parting with him, even if he wanted to.

So what happens? If Crane parts with Click, prospective GMs might think twice about taking the Astros’ job, knowing they, too, would be unable to choose their own manager, and that Click, for all his success, somehow could not satisfy the owner. The best solution might be to keep the entire group together, but the Astros seem to be approaching a breaking point. An early departure in the postseason might serve as an impetus for Crane to effect change.

11 minutes ago, dr99 said:

Let's see if Pena hits big playoff home runs or chases sliders out of the zone before comparing him to Correa

Yeah.  We weren't ever going to miss Correa during the regular season (unless a bunch of other shit were to go wrong for us and right for the M's or Angels) it was always going to be about playoff time. Him being gone puts pressure on either Pena to be really good or Altuve, Alvarez, Tucker and Bregman to be awesome in the playoffs, b/c with Yuli sucking and Brantley gone and CF a big hole other than Chas against LHP this lineup is way more shallow than it's been in years past, and in years past the lineup has typically been what sent us home.  So, scary time with 4 guys that have been good and everyone else being sort of average or worse offensively.  

The Defense thing is really interesting to me. Correa was a Platinum glove guy last year and has a God-like arm at SS.  Pena leads the world in errors seemingly but has way better defensive stats. I wonder how much of those defensive numbers are the guys actual playing ability vs how much the Astros have unlocked some secret sauce with their positioning and metrics and the like. 

Pena's defensive runs saved stat is why his dWAR is higher than Correa's even though he has a lower fielding percentage. I'm not arguing whether that's a good metric or not - just offering an explanation.

His situational hitting also appears to be significantly better than Correa's was this year especially opportunities to ground into double plays and productive outs. 

A more detailed comparison for stat nerds:

https://stathead.com/tiny/itARv

The bottom line is that we got tremendous value for Pena and letting Correa walk looks more and more like the right thing to do. We took the money offered him and locked down Alvarez and now can try to sign Verlander again. 

48 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Yeah.  We weren't ever going to miss Correa during the regular season (unless a bunch of other shit were to go wrong for us and right for the M's or Angels) it was always going to be about playoff time. Him being gone puts pressure on either Pena to be really good or Altuve, Alvarez, Tucker and Bregman to be awesome in the playoffs, b/c with Yuli sucking and Brantley gone and CF a big hole other than Chas against LHP this lineup is way more shallow than it's been in years past, and in years past the lineup has typically been what sent us home.  So, scary time with 4 guys that have been good and everyone else being sort of average or worse offensively.  

Don’t they all just basically need to be as good as they’ve been all season? They need to score enough runs to win, which they’ve done better than anyone but the Dodgers all year long.

52 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

while you're not wrong in "what we need" to win playoff games, it should not be overlooked how several of our superstars just went super-quiet in the postseason in parts of 2019 and 2021.  we underachieved in a lot of those series that we still won, and then just didn't do enough at the plate in the series vs wash and atl.

if we're playing our best baseball, nobody can beat us.  certainly nobody in the al.

3 minutes ago, Guadaloopy said:

The Astros WAG stats have definitely taken a hit with her departure.  Although they still have the MVP with Kate, I think the cumulative WAG WAR has dropped off from previous years.

Much like on the field, 2019 will go down as the best WAG season in team history. In addition to Kate, that team had 

Daniella

Charlise

Amy

Allie

who are all gone now 

Edited by UTexasFight

1 hour ago, Hank Chinaski said:

Don’t they all just basically need to be as good as they’ve been all season? They need to score enough runs to win, which they’ve done better than anyone but the Dodgers all year long.

We are tied for 8th and 9th in runs scored, so, we haven't been better than anyone but the dodgers at that. And we had 1/2 a season of Brantley more or less and it's been replaced with Dubon and Chas sort of, so, I think everyone needs to be better that I talked about.

1 hour ago, henrygandorf said:

while you're not wrong in "what we need" to win playoff games, it should not be overlooked how several of our superstars just went super-quiet in the postseason in parts of 2019 and 2021.  we underachieved in a lot of those series that we still won, and then just didn't do enough at the plate in the series vs wash and atl.

if we're playing our best baseball, nobody can beat us.  certainly nobody in the al.

That's certainly true about years past. I like 7 legit bites at the apple to get 4 productive playoff series bats at a time, but that's about the number you need to be hitting for this team to win series imo.  4 solid bats.  In years past even having 7 dudes that were pretty good hitters didn't always get us to that number.