2022 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

12 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

i believe it's 6, but technically 5 because of the tie-breaker.

I think it's 3.  The Astros have played 154 games and won 101.  The Yankees have played 151 games so far and won 93.  That means the most the Yankees could win is 104 if they won out.  Since the Astros have the tie-breaker, they only have to win 3 more to get to 104 to ensure home field through the ALCS.  But I'm pretty shitty at the maths so who knows?

Edited by Hairy Biped
  • Hook 'Em 4

26 minutes ago, Hairy Biped said:

I think it's 3.  The Astros have played 154 games and won 101.  The Yankees have played 151 games so far and won 93.  That means the most the Yankees could win is 104 if they won out.  Since the Astros have the tie-breaker, they only have to win 3 more to get to 104 to ensure home field through the ALCS.  But I'm pretty shitty at the maths so who knows?

D3E88DF4-EA9A-44CB-AF00-C0D18B0C3B1D.gif

41 minutes ago, Hairy Biped said:

You're overlooking the MLB ruling that if the Astros finish with more wins than the Yankees, NY gets however many bonus Ws are needed to finish with HFA. And of course, the only primetime playoff games involving Houston will be when they're facing the Yankees. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

go 7-1 on the homestand, get to 108 wins and the mythical 0.667. Also would be the most wins in Houston history. 

Philly is a tough team but just as long as Steve Carlton isn't on the mound, we have a chance. 

All I care about is winning 3 more games as soon as possible and locking the MFY into the 2 hole.  The rest can sort itself out....

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Gut Wagon said:

You're overlooking the MLB ruling that if the Astros finish with more wins than the Yankees, NY gets however many bonus Ws are needed to finish with HFA. And of course, the only primetime playoff games involving Houston will be when they're facing the Yankees. 

Or MLB could just find a reason to vacate some of our wins.

I'm really looking forward to giving 'em all a nice big shitburger to eat.

3 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

2 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

So, in July I said anyone talking about him in the bullpen was a lunatic bc he was a top 25 starter in the American League and in August I amended that to top 20. I now think I should further amend it and say he’s a top 25 guy in all of baseball and probably a top 10 guy in the AL. 

1 hour ago, Wulaw Horn said:

So, in July I said anyone talking about him in the bullpen was a lunatic bc he was a top 25 starter in the American League and in August I amended that to top 20. I now think I should further amend it and say he’s a top 25 guy in all of baseball and probably a top 10 guy in the AL. 

i don't think mentioning him being in a bullpen meant it as a slight towards his abilities as a starter.  it's all about stuff.  lance and javier work well out of the pen because of their stuff.  they can get out of jams and when they're right, throw strikes.  i don't know if i trust urquidy or garcia to do either.  i'm starting to think it doesn't make sense to carry both of them on the postseason roster.

it's all about the role.  if javier was our sp2, it would be a no-brainer.  but if he's going to be our sp4, i would rather him getting tough outs in 2-3 games in a 7 game series than having him potentially pitch once.  right now i would have him as our 2/3.  i would love it if they put him in tandem with brown to go 8 combined (5 + 3 prob) in a game 3 and hold lance until g4.

• Hook 'Em 2

11 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

i don't think mentioning him being in a bullpen meant it as a slight towards his abilities as a starter.  it's all about stuff.  lance and javier work well out of the pen because of their stuff.  they can get out of jams and when they're right, throw strikes.  i don't know if i trust urquidy or garcia to do either.  i'm starting to think it doesn't make sense to carry both of them on the postseason roster.

it's all about the role.  if javier was our sp2, it would be a no-brainer.  but if he's going to be our sp4, i would rather him getting tough outs in 2-3 games in a 7 game series than having him potentially pitch once.  right now i would have him as our 2/3.  i would love it if they put him in tandem with brown to go 8 combined (5 + 3 prob) in a game 3 and hold lance until g4.

I see your point. But they have Hunter Brown for that (maybe). Good problems to have. 

24 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

You don’t pitch Garcia or Urquidy if you have Javier that can start. You just don’t get beat from the word go while looking for a role for a top 10 pitcher in the AL. 
if you want to pitch Javier in Game 1 or 2 and save him for game 5 in the ALDS with how the rest days work that makes sense. Like a bullpen 

Javier clearly has starter stuff and has performed really well as a starter this season, but does the fact that he's worked more out of the pen than Urquidy and Garcia matter at all?  And do you leave those two guys off the playoff roster or just move them to the pen if you are starting JV, Framber, LMJ and Javier? I assume Brown will be a bullpen guy in the playoffs, even though he's really a starting pitcher too?  I guess I don't really know how common or easy it is for pitchers to switch between starting pitcher and relief pitcher roles.

9 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

which is why i said it doesn’t make sense to carry both. 

Sure. But neither of them should start in the ALCS. I’d also argue that Hunter Brown should be your game 7 starter in the ALCS over either of those 2 guys with the goofy way that the rest works with only one off day after game 2. If you are lined up perfectly to start it should go:

JV, Framber, Off day, LMJ, Javier, JV, Framber, Brown imo. LMJ available in the pen for a coupe innings if it comes down to it. They will probably go Garcia or Urquidy but I think I’d roll the dice with Brown, personally. 

they can keep Garcia on the roster, Urquidy or both I don’t really care.  Neither of them would pitch for me in anything other than eat 5 innings bc we are losing and I don’t want to use the bullpen. 

your pitchers in path to victory games should be:

JV/LMJ/Framber/Javier/Brown/Presley/Montero/ Stanek/Abreu. That’s starter going 6, then Stanek/Montero/Presley, or starter going less than 6 and Brown being the bridge. If Brown is dealing I’m fine with keeping him in until the final out is recorded. Abreu can be used if Brown is down or if you want to vary it up bc the back end of the bullpen has been used 3 days in a row or something. 

that leaves 3 guys in the ALDS and 4 in the ALCS and WS that aren’t a part of your traditional or extended path to victory guys. That, for me, would be Urquidy, Garcia, Neris and Martinez. I imagine the FO will have Smith and Maton in there in place of Martinez and one of Urquidy or Garcia. Neris would not get high leverage innings for me at the expense of Stanek, Abreu or Brown.