2022 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

22 minutes ago, Storm the Field said:

Was at the game. What we're watching with Yordan right now is something special. The crowd goes absolutely bonkers every time he steps in the box. You just know he's going to do what it takes when it matters, and then he does. There is not currently another soul on the planet you'd prefer to be up to bat when the game is on the line. 

he was on fire last alcs and then disappeared in the world series, 1 reason the braves beat us (along with framber shitting the bed)

we need to close out this team on Saturday, they're dangerous. 

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, Gut Wagon said:

I'm the midst of all this praise of Yordan's hitting, I'm also mighty glad he snagged that low liner. Not an easy play for a big guy, but he made it. Win or lose, would have been a different game had he not. 

His defense has been key in both games.  He is simply doing it all.   His parents better be traveling to Seattle.  

1 hour ago, Storm the Field said:

My one Debbie Downer thought for tonight:

7 BB by Astros pitchers tonight. That has to improve. I know the M's are a well-disciplined team and take a lot of walks, but we can't keep starting AB's with 2 balls nowhere near the zone. I saw my life flash before my eyes when Pressly issued a 4 pitch walk to the 8-hole hitter.

This was statistically the best Astros pitching staff ever, but so far we're having to rely on clutch bats and luck. That dog won't hunt forever.

They’re fine.

Neris last pitched 10 days ago

framber and Pressly, 9

I’ll give you Abreu and Montero giving up 3 walks in 2 IP after pitching Tuesday isn’t ideal, but they’re fine

anyone asking for more out the bullpen after the first two games is delusional. 

• Hook 'Em 4

Those pussies in Seattle on Lookout Landing have been crying about the Crawford Boxes for years.

Like it is a home field advantage because only we can hit one there.

That Mariner announcer had to throw in that it was only 315 feet to the Boxes on Yordan’s home run call.

Never mind that it actually carried 371.

Bunch of fucking crybabies.

• Like 1

Nice job by Bregman making them pay for the IBB that put a runner in scoring position.  The entire list of playoff IBBs with only a runner on first (so many random factoids this postseason, it seems):

https://www.mlb.com/news/postseason-intentional-walks-with-runner-on-first

-Ott

-F. Robinson

-Stargell

-Bonds x2

-Yordan

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Victor Lazlo said:

Those pussies in Seattle on Lookout Landing have been crying about the Crawford Boxes for years.

That Mariner announcer had to throw in that it was only 315 feet to the Boxes on Yordan’s home run call.

They really are tremendous cunts up there. I will place them as T-2nd with the highest amount of cuntiness in an MLB fan base with everyone else. The Astros have broken peoples minds and they can’t be rational. I’m not going to say I love it, but it does help show who is worth chatting with about sports and who should be avoided at all costs in about a nano second. 

6 hours ago, Victor Lazlo said:

Yeah they are soccer folk up there. Their beard cream  and rejuvenator gets into their eyes and causes a lot of crying…

7 hours ago, Victor Lazlo said:

What's most impressive is how we bring those boxes in closer for the bottom of each inning without even the fans in those seats knowing it. A marvel of modern engineering. 

The question of whether or not a ball would have been out of a different park is perhaps the most moot in baseball, if not all of sports. 

11 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Correa has the bigger arm. Peña was an error machine. It’s possible that the defensive metrics favored Peña not because he was actually better, but due to something the Astros are doing with positioning or the like. The defensive numbers available to the public are not considered to be stabilized until you get to a 3 year period. It’s possible that CC defense fell off a cliff in his age 27 season, but I’d sort of doubt it. I mean, Correa could play 1B and he’d probably be the best defensive player ever at 1B if he went over there as a 28 year old, but I’d lean toward that being a waste of his talents. 

I tend to think Pena committed so many errors largely for the same reason Jeter committed so few: range (or lack of it). He gets to a lot of balls that most players-including Correa-can’t. That’s something that defensive metrics will value.

That said, Correa at 1B is still obviously a silly idea.

Edited by formermav43

12 hours ago, Storm the Field said:

...so far we're having to rely on clutch bats and luck. That dog won't hunt forever.

12 hours ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

It lasted all the way through the 2017 World Series run.

Fudge beat me to it, but you just described playoff baseball.  Clutch bats and luck make all the difference, and sometimes they come together a la Howie Fucking Kendrick.

Altuve and Pena will be two of the most important hitters going forward. Servais, even if just for job preservation reasons, can't afford to pitch to Yordan anymore. He's shown that he will walk him and move a runner into scoring position even when the man on second represents a critical run. Altuve and Pena need to get on base by any means necessary to force a tough decision. Then Bregs and Tucker need to make them pay. If we can get Bregs and Tucker ABs with runners on first and second as opposed to just with Yordan on first, we will be in good shape. And, if Servais decides to pitch to Yordan, well, that fuck stick deserves what's coming to him. 

Edited by Seasick Sailor
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I’m not worried about the bats. George Kirby is good but a rookie on the hill for the first playoff game in the Pacific Northwest since shortly after 9/11. Sorry, I just don’t see that going well for Seattle against this Houston lineup.

Just hopeful Lance comes to play and doesn’t let them get a sniff of success early

I think I predicted 12-3 for this game shortly after the walkoff and will stick with that.

16 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Altuve and Pena will be two of the most important hitters going forward. Servais, even if just for job preservation reasons, can't afford to pitch to Yordan anymore. He's shown that he will walk him and move a runner into scoring position even when the man on second represents a critical run. Altuve and Pena need to get on base by any means necessary to force a tough decision. Then Bregs and Tucker need to make them pay. If we can get Bregs and Tucker ABs with runners on first and second as opposed to just with Yordan on first, we will be in good shape. And, if Servais decides to pitch to Yordan, well, that fuck stick deserves what's coming to him. 

Exactly. Would love to see a repeat of that first inning when both Altuve and Pena bunted for hits against NY. The way Alvarez is swinging, just get him to the plate with at least first base occupied and put Scotty in another no-win situation. 

18 hours ago, WBT said:

Someone explain to me why there's an error on that play?  Who advanced a base they wouldn't have?

Bumping this because it's an off day so why not.  As a reminder, Suarez was on 2nd and Haniger was on 3rd with 1 out when Santana hit that little grounder that Framber threw away.  I still don't think it should have been an error as no one moved up a base.  The only way you could give an error is if you thought that throwing out the runner at home was a routine play that should have been made.  But it wasn't and it would have taken a really great play to throw Saurez out at home.

A couple of thought experiments:

• If Framber makes a throw that is high and up the 1st baseline a little bit and Sauarez slides in home ahead of the tag, how do you score it?  Has to be a fielder's choice.  You don't give an error just because no out was recorded...that's what FC is for.
  • If the throw goes to the backstop like it did but we don't get the lucky carom and Santana safely goes to 2nd, then it's a FC and an E1 to allow him to reach 2nd.

But how it played out...Saurez scored, Haniger advanced to 3rd and Santana reached 1st, all on the FC.  Santana tried to move up on the bad throw...but was thrown out.  So where's the error?

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, Scraps said:

ALCS tickets obtained.

LFG close this shit out this weekend

Same

man there wasn’t shit available and have a feeling I’m going to be kicking myself for buying nosebleeds at the prices they wanted instead of waiting for secondary market 

2 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

When did they go on sale?

There are various presales yesterday (I think) and this morning

general public is at 1pm