2022 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

59 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

So, what have y'all bought so far?

I've got two caps and three tees coming from the MLB shop.  I didn't see a navy hoodie to replace my 2017 one, but I'll definitely find that and add a couple of coffee mugs and something framed for the home office.

two 16oz glass roster tumblers and a hoodie

• Hook 'Em 1

43 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

Can we talk about the fact that we were down 2 games to 1 and were facing two more road games against a team that was unbeaten at home in the playoffs, then our staff of savages held them to 3 runs over 3 games?

I mean, god damn.

Has there been a pitching staff, top to bottom, as good as this one?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Artifacts going to Hall of Fame:

- Altuve’s G6 elbow guard
- Alvarez’s G6 bat
- Baker’s G2 jersey, G6 wristbands and toothpicks
- McCormick’s G5 glove
- Pena’s G2 jersey
- Pressly’s G6 spikes
- Valdez’s G2 spikes
- Verlander’s G5 spikes
- A bat used by Pena during the ALCS.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

Has there been a pitching staff, top to bottom, as good as this one?

I’ve been thinking about it a lot and my answer is that the 13 man staff against the Yanks is the deepest staff since bullpens expanded and the game became recognizable compared to what it is now. 

Maddox Glavine and Smoltz is better than JV, Framber and Javier I think. 

the Philly top 4 of Holladay, Lee, Oswalt and Hammels is probably better than our top 4. 

this team is better than any of the Yankees pitching staffs.  Or the Dodgers. Or the Giants. 

where we are no doubt better though is in depth. All of those teams would have had Stanek as at worst a 7th inning guy, maybe an 8th inning guy. He was #5 in the pecking order of bullpen guys and got no leverage appearances. Hunter Brown was awesome and a revelation and he pitched what- 3 innings in the playoffs. 

we went 18 innings with Seattle without giving up a run, and we literally could have gone at least 30 innings and it wouldn’t have even come close to taxing our bullpen or the ability to come out the next day and be fine (think about that- Garcia went 5 and could have gone another 2 to take us to 20, and Urquidy and Javier were both down there and could have easily gone 6 each. That’s 32 innings pitched. Without breaking a sweat). Then- the next day we would have rolled out JV on full rest and he would be backed up by Abreu, Stanek, Neris, Montero and Presley, none of whom threw more than 1 inning the day before in the 18 inning game. Most teams require heroism to get to that point in a playoff game, it was literally no big deal for us. At all. 
now- is that the best way to figure out the best staff ever in the playoffs?  Nah- I don’t think so as we showed in the WS where only 7 guys pitched in our 4 wins (my constant argument for 11 pitchers being fine in the playoffs but whatever) so I’m not super concerned about 11 or 12 on our staff, let alone 13, but if you are talking about the greatest collection of above average to great arms where there is no real wrong choice on the entire staff then… maybe?  Probably. 
For 162 games over the regular season it’s amazing- and how you win 106 games when your offense vacillates between shitty, average and really good, and finishes barely top 10 in runs scored. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, elfenix said:

imma just posrepping everyone in here for the last two hours might open another beer or maybe pass out or both

Thanks again for all of you who kept the faith and kept supporting the Astros even when they were down. Like we were saying, it ain't over til it's over.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Nope.

I mean- you are talking about 3 HOFers, one of which is one of the top 5 pitchers in the history of baseball in the Atlanta trio vs a HOFer, 1 time all star and a guy who many on this thread argued should be a bullpen swingman as late as August because he’s “done it before” so forgive me if I don’t say that’s the top 3 greatest pitchers ever. That’s not a slight on our guys. That’s a nod to reality. 

• Hook 'Em 3