2022 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

1 hour ago, TexArcher said:

Remember how some of us were talking about our memories from 1986 and 1980?

I wish I could go back in time and tell my 10-year-old self, who had just had his heart broken by the Rockets and Astros in the same year, that in the next 30 years he'd get to see them win a pair of championships each.

Cheer up, kid!

Well, that kid will have to endure sucking for a while, painful playoff exits in 97 98 (ugh) 99 01 04 05 and then really sucking for a while.  15 gave hope but ended awfully.  

However, this Golden Era has been worth it, and all that suffering is why Astros fans are so loyal to this core and what this team has done.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Anyone else check their phone first thing after waking up to make sure it wasn't a dream?

Today is going to be the most glorious lazy Sunday of the year. I really didn't want to stress out watching a Game 7 tonight. 

Dropping a 3rd straight WS to an inferior NL East team would have broken me. My god, it would have been another fucking offseason hearing about choking and "can't win without cheating" and "Buffalo Bills of MLB."

175 games later, we're the fucking champs. Need to figure out where to catch the parade tomorrow. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, slorch said:

I was getting dressed this morning, and it occurred to me- last night might have been THAT sports moment in my life.

The moment Yordan's HR landed in the CF deck, my phone blew up with so many family, friends, and co-workers wishing congrats because they know how I live and die with the team. I was so amped up, it took a while to go to bed last night.  What a great moment.  The sweet taste of victory is knowing the haters can just freaking deal with it.

They gotta rename the CF area "Yordan's Crib" or something right?  It's the landing spot for the moonshot that crushed the Phillies' hopes and dreams, and told the shitheads like BobCostas, "Goodnight, you little bitch!"

Batters eye is now

EYE OF YORDAN

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

56 minutes ago, Hank Chinaski said:

You know, I generally try to ignore bullshit narratives that writers build around sports, especially baseball (baseball is a bit sacred for me). I love the numbers, the right ones actually do tell the story (the real story, not the editorial). Call me boring, call me robotic, call me “rain man”, whatever - you wouldn’t be wrong.

Because of this, I really haven’t historically had any hatred for other players/teams in baseball. Even when I was 9 in 1986 and was heartbroken by the Mets, I still though Strawberry and Gooden were cool as hell and fun to watch.

But then the sign-stealing story dropped, and we witnessed the most absurd, sensationalized, disingenuous media response I can recall (about sports). The writers clung to the story because it was easy material and got clicks. It gave them a heel, which baseball writers have sought throughout history. And of course the fans of all other teams ate it up. Even other players were clutching their pearls publicly when they knew goddamn well that they’d participated in something very similar. 

And it’s been going on for 3 years now. We’re talking about sign-stealing, but it’s continuously referred to as “scandal” like this was Baylor football or something. Not only is it just sign stealing, but the statistical evidence strongly suggests that it didn’t make any meaningful difference in production or outcomes at the team level. And anecdotal evidence suggests that it was widespread across baseball. The writers’ willful ignorance on this has been egregious. 

All this is to say that I have to admit to feeling a bit giddy that the Jeff Passans and Buster Olneys of the world have to come up with new material, have to admit that maybe sign stealing wasn’t the story of 2017, have to tell the actual story of a franchise that has been the best in baseball for almost a decade now and isn’t slowing down. They have to tell the story about how Jose Altuve is a goddamned baseball unicorn. They have to change the narrative.

So this is all to say - go fuck yourselves, you lazy, unimaginative hacks. And to all the moronic fans who have berated these guys for 3 years…I’m not offended because you’ve been “mean,” I’m offended by how fucking stupid and, again, willfully ignorant all of it is.

I told my brother after the sign-stealing story broke that the positive side of it all is that, when we win it again, it’ll kind of feel like the first time again because of everything above. And goddamn, it kind of does. So I guess that’s the gift we all get here.

even though it wasn’t realized in real time, the writers definitely thought/assumed/wishcasted the stros to fold and fade away post-scandal. 

we went…a different way. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Uncle Boobs said:

World fucking champions.

I don't post on this thread due to superstition, but this is the first place I go to get Astros news, videos, lineups, etc. Y'all are fucking awesome.

I was lucky enough to attend every home game this postseason, both games in NY and all 3 games in Philly.

The Yordan blasts in the Seattle series. Yordan's blast last night. A fucking no hitter. So many amazing fucking memories.

Love this team and I love Houston. Go Stros. Let's win it again next year.

fc05996b63d8f0e0c67e76d2add5065e.jpg

now that is how to humblebrag

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, Uncle Boobs said:

World fucking champions.

I don't post on this thread due to superstition, but this is the first place I go to get Astros news, videos, lineups, etc. Y'all are fucking awesome.

I was lucky enough to attend every home game this postseason, both games in NY and all 3 games in Philly.

The Yordan blasts in the Seattle series. Yordan's blast last night. A fucking no hitter. So many amazing fucking memories.

Love this team and I love Houston. Go Stros. Let's win it again next year.

fc05996b63d8f0e0c67e76d2add5065e.jpg

post all you want now, it's a new season. as you know, it's hard to be the dumbest poster here hahaha

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Do you know what I'm looking forward to the most?

April and the Astros not batting for fuckall and people calling to trade everyone and flip the lineup every day.

Do you know what I'm going to miss the most?

People bitching about Dusty Baker.

Do you know what I will enjoy the most?

Hate.

Edited by Slacks
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

iirc, Wheeler only has 70 pitches. Every starter has a bad inning or two, pulling him was a massive mistake, especially since Alvarado was easy for batters given his prior game. I don't think Wheeler gives up a HR to Alvarez, but maybe 2 runs at worst, 1 run at best in the inning. Alvy also hits better against lefties. Bad move Thompson in our favor.  

1 hour ago, Storm the Field said:

Anyone else check their phone first thing after waking up to make sure it wasn't a dream?

Today is going to be the most glorious lazy Sunday of the year. I really didn't want to stress out watching a Game 7 tonight. 

Dropping a 3rd straight WS to an inferior NL East team would have broken me. My god, it would have been another fucking offseason hearing about choking and "can't win without cheating" and "Buffalo Bills of MLB."

175 games later, we're the fucking champs. Need to figure out where to catch the parade tomorrow. 

First thing I did was check my texts, and then Facebook to make sure I don’t tell the haters to fuck off in colorful language.😁

I mean fuck ‘em, but I also wanted to celebrate graciously. 

I woke up this morning and played with my dogs, and then watch post game interviews and read baseball on Reddit for about two hours. Soaking it all In…

I spent so much on WS champs gear last night I got an email from my credit card company to confirm they weren't fraudulent charges. 

What an amazing season. I still can't believe how we've managed to reload each season. Lose Cole and Morton? End up with the best rotation in baseball and have more guys than we can find innings for. Lose Correa? That's cool. We'll just replace him with a gold-glove winning, ALCS and WS MVP rookie. 

The annual threads are always a rollercoaster ride. But I'm glad to have been able to share another special season with you assholes. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Gourmand said:

and far fewer downs

Wanted to emphasize this.

It was a very un-baseball-like season for us.

Yes, there were some stressful individual games, but mostly we came out on top.

Our lack of losing is getting to the point where it's expected.

And when someone was out or injured, it was next man up.

Amazing season.