Best Margarita + Patio Combo in Austin?

hornian

Title says it all. Show your work. Bonus points for being open for lunch on Fridays. 

I don't care about the food (although, it doesn't hurt), I'm in it for the frozen concoctions. But to be honest, I prefer mine on the rocks, and I'll also drink Mexican Martinis and Polomas until I can't feel feelings anymore if you let me. 

My first instinct for the best margarita+patio combo is going to be Matt's El Rancho, but I don't live or work close to there so I want options.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, hornian said:

Title says it all. Show your work. Bonus points for being open for lunch on Fridays. 

I don't care about the food (although, it doesn't hurt), I'm in it for the frozen concoctions. But to be honest, I prefer mine on the rocks, and I'll also drink Mexican Martinis and Polomas until I can't feel feelings anymore if you let me. 

My first instinct for the best margarita+patio combo is going to be Matt's El Rancho, but I don't live or work close to there so I want options.

Roaring Fork at Stonelake.  They open for HH at 2 pm on Friday and Saturday.  Thank me later.

• Hook 'Em 1

Haven’t been in a long-ass time, but I used to love some avocado margaritas on the patio at Curra’s, followed by their conchinita pibil.

And it’s hard to separate the margaritas from the food. If I’m going somewhere during lunchtime or in the evening, I’m likely staying for a meal. If I’m getting shitty drunk on the margaritas (which is a rarity for me these days) and the quality of food is unimportant, someplace like Matt’s is fine. Otherwise, I want good food.

Edited by South Austin

10 hours ago, Ollie Slatt said:

El Alma gets my vote.  Not the best marg, but best one I can think of with quality outdoor seating.

Their chilanga margarita is one of my favorite drinks in the world. Perfect amount of spiciness in every sip. The rooftop patio is great as long as the grackles aren't shitting on you. 

3 hours ago, South Austin said:

Haven’t been in a long-ass time, but I used to love some avocado margaritas on the patio at Curra’s, followed by their conchinita pibil.

And it’s hard to separate the margaritas from the food. If I’m going somewhere during lunchtime or in the evening, I’m likely staying for a meal. If I’m getting shitty drunk on the margaritas (which is a rarity for me these days) and the quality of food is unimportant, someplace like Matt’s is fine. Otherwise, I want good food.

I used to live within a nice Sunday morning walk from the original Guero's / current Curra's.  I spent so much time at both.  Curra's migas + Oaxacan coffee + a marg was on my weekend rotation for years.  I need to try the Hyde Park location, although it looks to be dinner only.

21 hours ago, immamac said:

The answer is Matt's. Who cares if you aren't close, no need to compromise. 

Last time you was there (in Feb, it wasn’t patio weather) I was at the bar ordering a drink while waiting to be seated. I ordered the Mexican martini. The bartender says “we only have one and it is $15.”  I just looked at her for a beat and said “It don’t make a shit.”

It was a good Mexican martini, but do they have to warn people about prices now? Do I look like a poor? 

• Hook 'Em 1

Has the Cedar Door gone downhill? That used to be my go to for a Mexican Martini on the patio when I officed on that side of downtown. Often had decent talent meeting for happy hour from the various offices at Franklin Federal or whatever that building is called now. 

Edited by ftf82

7 minutes ago, texasdago said:

Man, I've always been a bit partial to Guero's.  Don't care what anyone thinks about that.  

I lived in Travis Heights for over 10 years, spanning the move from Oltorf to the old feed store on South Congress.  I loved Guero's.  I still love Guero's.  Pretty good bar, great vibe, and some decent food options (chicken especial enchiladas, rajas con queso).  Even the tacos al pastor in the courtyard on music nights don't suck.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...

There is typically exceptionally-high quality South Austin MILF scenery at El Alma. Which makes sense because if there was ever a restaurant created for women, it's El Alma. Total chick restaurant. 

I'll endorse Matt's (with food) and Guerro's (without food), and add Perla's and Fresa's (just don't order a $30 roasted when you can get a better one down the street at El Pollo Rico for $10)

• Hook 'Em 2

• 2 weeks later...

I’m in town for a layover tomorrow and I’m looking for options hopefully within walking distance of the downtown/town lake area.
Added bonus, if anyone wants to join me first round’s on me, assuming it’s happy hour and it’s not more than like three of you bastards.

15 hours ago, HiggyBaby said:

I’m in town for a layover tomorrow and I’m looking for options hopefully within walking distance of the downtown/town lake area.
Added bonus, if anyone wants to join me first round’s on me, assuming it’s happy hour and it’s not more than like three of you bastards.

It's not fancy, but Cedar Door (201 Brazos) always works for me.  Big patio, decent (if unremarkable) drinks, very chill.  Tons of restaurants in the area if you work up an appetite.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, HiggyBaby said:

There's Woodrow's on West 6th, but that might be a hike from where you are.

Avoid Rainey Street.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1