Character Actors Mt Rushmore

Augustus

On 4/15/2022 at 9:34 PM, WhatTheBuck said:

I can see Daniel Day Lewis acting. I never get lost in the character. I know that’s an unpopular opinion and I’m supposed to think he’s great because everyone else does. But all I see is Daniel Day Lewis trying too hard and hamming it up. Look at me! I’m acting!

I don’t know what this thread is about. I didn’t start it and the OP didn’t specify. But in terms of bit parts and supporting roles, how about Alan Hale?

This is just a terrible terrible opinion. You’re entitled to your opinion but it’s terrible. Like preferring liquid smoke on your brisket or beans in your chili

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

This is just a terrible terrible opinion. You’re entitled to your opinion but it’s terrible. Like preferring liquid smoke on your brisket or beans in your chili

He’s an over-actor. I know I’m supposed to like him because it’s fashionable to do so but I just don’t see it. I think Jon Lovitz’s thespian is a pretty good caricature. “I was ACTING!” But that emperor isn’t wearing any clothes. It’s fine if you think he’s a great actor. I just see a guy trying too hard. But he’s getting away with it so good for him. 

On 4/26/2022 at 5:21 PM, Gatorubet said:

Just last Saturday…

That was awesome. I try to watch CBS Saturday (and Sunday) Morning when I can but I missed that one. Thanks for posting it. I confess that it took me an embarrassingly long time during Office Space before I realized that was him.

Here’s one of my favorite scenes from NewsRadio. It still kills me. And it has a guest appearance from Brian Posehn who I think is a highly underrated comedian.

2 hours ago, Augustus said:

Yeah, Hoffman was in a very small class.

There was no one better. Just watch Boogie Nights and Doubt to see his range. That’s to say nothing of The Big Lebowski and Charlie Wilson’s War and Along Came Polly (“Let it rain!”). Even in Synecdoche, New York, a movie I thought sucked with a stupid plot and no sympathetic characters, he was excellent in his role as someone I didn’t care about. 

• Hook 'Em 1