Realignment talk not going away

The Tower

12 minutes ago, Jasper_Jester said:

Also, we have a two-game losing streak vs Cal, it will be sad if they dissolve with eternal scoreboard on us.

I didn't think that was possible, so I checked your work.  Color me shocked...had no idea.

But even more surprising to me was the fact you've only played three times total, the first time in 2011.  I just assumed you all would've had played them more than that in all those year previous.  

EDIT:  Nevermind.  I think the UT Athletics website wasn't including anything pre-2000 in their online record.  

Edited by Uncle Nate

2 minutes ago, Uncle Nate said:

I didn't think that was possible, so I checked your work.  Color me shocked...had no idea.

But even more surprising to me was the fact you've only played three times total, the first time in 2011.  I just assumed you all would've had played them more than that in all those year previous.  

EDIT:  Nevermind.  I think the UT Athletics website wasn't including anything pre-2000 in their online record.  

https://texassports.com/sports/2013/7/21/FB_0721134841.aspx?id=131

Stanford's profile really only fits the Big 10, academically, and now geographically. My guess is that the Big 10 will only take them if paired with Notre Dame. If that's not happening soon, Stanford will likely go independent and can make as much or more as the MWC. AAC makes zero sense, and ACC is just too geographically isolated, it'd have to be football only, everything else WCC. I'm not sure where Cal fits, if anywhere. My guess is that they'll be forced into independence like Stanford, and will accept it as to avoid joining the MWC. 

23 minutes ago, CustersDoctor said:

I think one of the attendance and fanbase problems that Cal, Stanford and SMU have is that they have ZERO appeal outside their graduates. And they make Zero effort to engage outsiders, in fact they prefer that people who don't look like their graduates not come to their games. 

I spent the first 5 year of my career in Silicon Valley, and that was 100% my experience.  Outsiders (non-students or alumni) are not  welcome at the Stanford or Cal pregame tailgates.   There is no community support in Palo Alto or Berkeley, unless someone is making a buck off it.  And outside of alumni, nobody in the bay area give a single fuck about the so called 'big game'.

I moved from the Bay Area to a Big-10 town, and it was amazing, the tailgates and fan support was the whole fucking town. Didn't matter where you were from or where you went to school, once you were there, you were welcome to join the party. Hell, I even bought a team sweat jacket for the year I was there.  

It will be some nice schadenfreude when Stanford and Cal drop to FCS. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Drool 1

2 minutes ago, 0xdeadbeef said:

I spent the first 5 year of my career in Silicon Valley, and that was 100% my experience.  Outsiders (non-students or alumni) are not  welcome at the Stanford or Cal pregame tailgates. 

Seems really fucking stupid for such smart people. You're in an area that pulls in a lot of smart outsiders who are now outsiders with money.

Seems like the first thing you would do is take advantage of that casual angle to sell some swanky tailgates with the football game as just the dessert.

11 minutes ago, gatormarc said:

Seems really fucking stupid for such smart people. You're in an area that pulls in a lot of smart outsiders who are now outsiders with money.

Seems like the first thing you would do is take advantage of that casual angle to sell some swanky tailgates with the football game as just the dessert.

They don’t gaf.  That’s the part we need to understand. Footballs just not a big deal out here.  I’d say sports isn’t really except for certain mlb and nba teams.  

3 hours ago, Hurtlocker said:

I'm still struggling to see how this one makes any logistical and financial sense, outside the ACC network getting a bump in Cali.

I'm with you.  And it makes even less sense for Cal and Stanford.  But then, they are a major part of the reason the Pac will cease to exist.

• Hook 'Em 1

59 minutes ago, BachelorTrek said:

It was "Thirty twice!" in my Dad's youth.  Lulz.

image.thumb.png.7ce988c31b3a4110e9d5d9aabebc470f.png

1. It's Thunderchicken
  2. It took all my will power not to Neg you

We would occasionally have "wino" night at the dorm...  for $2.79 you were in, but you had to drink it out of a paper bag.  I swear this shit will effect your vision and everything will be hazy by the end of the evening.  The next morning would be like the apocalypse.  So hung over, people passed out everywhere, puke in the hall ways... /shudders

1 hour ago, redswingline said:

I can see that. However, that applies to probably half (if not more) of the schools in P5.

I would also think that when you are competing with NFL teams, it's a tough road. i.e. the 49ers/Raiders/Cowboys are all in the same city or right down the road from those 3 schools you listed.

I would venture to guess that most of the huge-fanbase college programs don't have to compete with NFL teams for fans.

Most schools have some local appeal.  Its only a few like Vanderbilt that don't.  But Vandy gets other schools' fans to come.

22 minutes ago, 0xdeadbeef said:

I moved from the Bay Area to a Big-10 town, and it was amazing, the tailgates and fan support was the whole fucking town. Didn't matter where you were from or where you went to school, once you were there, you were welcome to join the party. Hell, I even bought a team sweat jacket for the year I was there.  

I can agree, having been to multiple B1G cities, and now all they need is a team in Florida to be coast-to-coast and border-to-border. I guess this is what you can put together when you have a $7 billion broadcasting deal.
I have a kiddo living in Seattle, so this could give me another reason to go out there, and I can now look forward to that 10pm B1G kickoff for a conference game every week.

6 minutes ago, locodos said:
  1. It's Thunderchicken
  2. It took all my will power not to Neg you

We would occasionally have "wino" night at the dorm...  for $2.79 you were in, but you had to drink it out of a paper bag.  I swear this shit will effect your vision and everything will be hazy by the end of the evening.  The next morning would be like the apocalypse.  So hung over, people passed out everywhere, puke in the hall ways... /shudders

I thought most winos just drank straight from the bottle.  But you did see people with Tbird passed out everywhere.

18 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

They don’t gaf.  That’s the part we need to understand. Footballs just not a big deal out here.  I’d say sports isn’t really except for certain mlb and nba teams.  

I think my point is that it doesn't have to be a big deal for the University to try to sell it as a reason to mingle with other smart young people with money.

5 minutes ago, bullet said:

I thought most winos just drank straight from the bottle.  But you did see people with Tbird passed out everywhere.

Well, unfortunately it was my idea...  I was the guy that convinced others it was a good idea... and at the time it was.  I bought the all "wine". The RAs would write your ass up if they caught you drinking in the dorm (dry campus).  But our RA said to make sure he couldn't tell it was booze and it's all good.   So put the bottle in the bag like a wino and viola wino night.  Plus he wanted in too.   3rd Thursdays it was lit in Rawlings hall.  Ultimately it got too big, with kids from other dorms joining in, and we put the kibosh on it.

My liver still hates me

51 minutes ago, 0xdeadbeef said:

I spent the first 5 year of my career in Silicon Valley, and that was 100% my experience.  Outsiders (non-students or alumni) are not  welcome at the Stanford or Cal pregame tailgates.   There is no community support in Palo Alto or Berkeley, unless someone is making a buck off it.  And outside of alumni, nobody in the bay area give a single fuck about the so called 'big game'.

It will be some nice schadenfreude when Stanford and Cal drop to FCS. 

I dont know who you were trying to engage with, I dont think this is true at all.  There is a lack of tailgate culture for sure, but what does exist has always been very welcoming, at least from the Cal perspective.  Furd may be different and maybe thats what you experienced being the Valley

21 hours ago, USC Traveler said:

Their admin has been actively hostile to football for at least 12-15 years, and they seem to be hostile to capitalism as well.  They certainly don't understand it.

Cal is the epitome of the arrogance, entitlement and elitism that doomed the PAC.  I'm glad they're getting left behind.  Fuck Cal.

Did Cal rape your corn hole or something? You seem pretty hostile towards the place

San Diego State fails in attempt to create new 'Power Five' conference with Pac-12, Mountain West, AAC members

SDSU's effort to rally a group of major programs into a new league fell short before it gained any momentum

An initiative led by San Diego State to essentially create a new conference that would have sought "Power Five" designation in the aftermath of radical conference realignment failed this week, sources tell CBS Sports.

SDSU president Adela de la Torre was leading a push to assemble what would have amounted to a breakaway of the best schools from the Mountain West and American conferences along with some combination of Pac-12 leftovers California, Stanford, Oregon State and Washington State, sources said.

However, the idea died after Monday night after Mountain West presidents held a call that ended with the leadership showing unity.

"Everything that is out there is from San Diego State," a Mountain West source said Monday of the breakaway attempt. "They've been wanting to be part of the Pac-12 forever. They have a hope and dream that they can take the best of us, the best of some other leagues, re-form and keep, honestly, the [College Football Playoff] designation, reap the 10s of millions of dollars in distributions and resurrect the Autonomous Five in the West."

The development could clear the way for Oregon State and Washington State to join to the MWC, industry sources tell CBS Sports. The AAC has expressed an interest in the schools as well.

Regardless, the next round of realignment seems to be on hold until the fate of Cal and Stanford in the ACC is decided. CBS Sports reported Monday both schools were being considered by the ACC on a preliminary basis. The academic giants represent half of the Pac-12 leftovers.

ACC athletic directors met Monday and had another call scheduled for Tuesday to consider Cal and Stanford.

It's not clear how any combination of leftover schools would have obtained "Power Five" designation in a new conference. That label exists formally in the NCAA constitution, which gives weighted voting rights to the "Autonomous Five." The CFP gives equal revenue shares (currently $80 million each) to the SEC, Big 12, ACC, Big Ten and Pac-12 annually.

Now a four-member league, the Pac-12 is in danger of losing that designation.

SDSU's de la Torre did not immediately return a request for comment. 

"Does it make sense to take the best of the American, remaining Pac and best of the Mountain West and create a new conference that [would] potentially fight for A5 designation? In general, I think it does," an industry source said. "I just am not sure what value that would bring from a network standpoint. ESPN and Fox … have already spent their money."

Rightsholders spent the weekend evaluating the worth of all four remaining Pac-12 schools potentially joining the Mountain West. There are conference composition clauses in every media rights contract, but rarely does 40% of a Power Five league become available.

One roadblock to forming a new league is the Mountain West's exit fees. For any school to leave and join a new league in time for the 2024 season, it would have cost $34 million per program. Those exit fees would go away if the MWC "dissolved," which would require nine of 12 schools to exit.

The Mountain West has three years left on its media rights deal with CBS and Fox. In 2020, the MWC signed a six-year, $270 million contract -- approximately $4 million annually per school. Cal, Stanford, OSU and WSU will earn nearly $21 million in the final year of the Pac-12's current contract, which expires after the 2023-24 season.

• Haha 2

19 minutes ago, Hurtlocker said:

San Diego State fails in attempt to create new 'Power Five' conference with Pac-12, Mountain West, AAC members

SDSU's effort to rally a group of major programs into a new league fell short before it gained any momentum

Seems like a good idea to re-form the Pac-12 in this manner. I guess it's strong conference office leadership that is keeping it from happening but that means there are a few MWC schools that are giving away their shot at sneaking into P5 status. If the Pac-12 doesn't come back to life then it's a P4.

1 minute ago, Huckleberry said:

Seems like a good idea to re-form the Pac-12 in this manner. I guess it's strong conference office leadership that is keeping it from happening but that means there are a few MWC schools that are giving away their shot at sneaking into P5 status. If the Pac-12 doesn't come back to life then it's a P4.

yeah MWC poison pill of $17m for a year notice $34m for less is killing their prospects of expanding.   Someone should have told them than with the way their contract is structured with no buyouts that they shouldn't wait until the last minute to do a media deal.

3 hours ago, BachelorTrek said:

It was "Thirty twice!" in my Dad's youth.  Lulz.

image.thumb.png.7ce988c31b3a4110e9d5d9aabebc470f.png

I've never had Thunderbird, because back in college I grabbed a bottle out of the cooler at a conveinece store on east Oltorf and a homeless guy advised me to spend the extra money to buy Boone's...which is what he did.

I think he saved my life that night.

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Hurtlocker said:

yeah MWC poison pill of $17m for a year notice $34m for less is killing their prospects of expanding.   Someone should have told them than with the way their contract is structured with no buyouts that they shouldn't wait until the last minute to do a media deal.

There was talk they could just dissolve the MWC and eliminate the exit fees, but not sure how real that is.

1 hour ago, redswingline said:

Did Cal rape your corn hole or something? You seem pretty hostile towards the place

Speaking as an alumnus from the 80’s and a member of the Band, fuck Cal Berkeley and their fans. They were and continue to be the rudest, most obnoxious fan base in a conference that includes Oregon and ucla (sorry sbbruin, had to do it).  I’ve had frozen oranges thrown at me while performing, shit thrown at our mascot Traveler, pit smoke filling the bathrooms like it was high school, you name it. All with the air of “we’re Cal, we’re so much more superior to you a the other UC schools”. If they actually won something, then I could deal with the arrogance. They had a big hand in killing the PAC and preventing a Texas/BlowU move, so it can’t be said enough… fuck cal

• Hook 'Em 4

28 minutes ago, USC_TMB said:

All with the air of “we’re Cal, we’re so much more superior to you a the other UC schools”. If they actually won something, then I could deal with the arrogance. 

Set up a competitive spelling bee big guy, we'll wipe the floor with you fuckers 

• Haha 3

29 minutes ago, USC_TMB said:

Speaking as an alumnus from the 80’s and a member of the Band, fuck Cal Berkeley and their fans. They were and continue to be the rudest, most obnoxious fan base in a conference that includes Oregon and ucla (sorry sbbruin, had to do it).  I’ve had frozen oranges thrown at me while performing, shit thrown at our mascot Traveler, pit smoke filling the bathrooms like it was high school, you name it. All with the air of “we’re Cal, we’re so much more superior to you a the other UC schools”. If they actually won something, then I could deal with the arrogance. They had a big hand in killing the PAC and preventing a Texas/BlowU move, so it can’t be said enough… fuck cal

Ahh, it all becomes clear.  Yeah, the oranges were fucked up, I was at at least 1 SC-Cal game where that happened.

12 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Yes, bring in SMU who hardly anyone in DFW even gives a shit about? You are not getting the Dallas TV market with them because no one here watches them. I guess if they're playing Notre Dame or Clemson, we might..if nothing else is on. 

Yeah, I don't get the idea of anyone wanting SMU. Nobody cares about them outside of Highland Park. They don't draw flies to games at home unless they play a big named school or someone who cares about playing them (see North Texas). People have heard of them because they cheated better than anyone had at the time in the 80s, but really, nobody cares about them.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Hurtlocker said:

If they're inviting SMU, then FSU is definitely out the door.

If they lose FSU, they probably need to add a FL flag, too, for the ACCN subs.  They could pick up USF/SMU as full members, Cal/Stanford as partial members in football only.  That would (maybe not coincidentally) create opportunities for ND to play the national schedule it covets while remaining in the ACC.