Realignment talk not going away

The Tower

1 hour ago, The Hot Dog Buffet said:

The Big 12 academic profile has actually improved quite a bit with the recent additions. I think the Mormon and Baptist schools are a bigger hurdle for them than academic performance.

Much like the Sec benefitted from adding three AAU schools from the Big 12, the Big 12 has added  four in their place.

Edited by Satchel

46 minutes ago, FartingDreamer said:

This is something that many fans of blueblood programs have deluded themselves into thinking out of sheer arrogance.  The Big 12 has simply positioned itself to keep a seat at the table as a power conference.  While it won't be top heavy like the SEC and B1G, its floor is higher then both without as much dead weight programs.  Seriously, consider the bottom half of the SEC and B1G and compare that to what will likely be the cyclical nature of the bottom half of the more competitive and intriguing Big 12, which due to such, will have the opportunity to strengthen and elevate its own brand.  

Stanford can't help but turn up their bigoted noses at any university associated with religion. Then there is their elitism that makes swallowing their pride to affiliate with "truck stop" destination schools too much for them.  

d9007bde-8859-4000-b902-90e67ea8a779_tex

20 minutes ago, Satchel said:

Much like the Sec benefitted from adding three AAU schools from the Big 12, the Big 12 has added  four in their place.

1 hour ago, The Hot Dog Buffet said:

The Big 12 academic profile has actually improved quite a bit with the recent additions. I think the Mormon and Baptist schools are a bigger hurdle for them than academic performance.

airjerkoff.gif.6e6f5ea7a4a57427c47da943267982da.gif

3 hours ago, HookEm said:

I just don't think it has dawned on the alumni of any of these schools in a coordinated sense yet.  The game has changed and there is very little stopping a Stanford from competing with an Alabama if the alumni are mobilized.  

I think you can look at the endowment of a school as a measure of the collective resources of their alumni.  I understand that the endowment itself can't be used for sports... but is a relative show of what the alumni are capable of if they make sports a priority.

Harvard has an endowment of $49B.  Stanford $36B.  Rice $7.8B.  USC $7.3B.  These schools have ass-loads of rich alumni.  Compare these numbers to TCU with $2.4B. Or Penn State with $4.6B.

They still have to keep the kids eligible.  That will always give Alabama an advantage over Yale, Harvard and Stanford.

1 hour ago, Zhorn96 said:

dunno if this is the deal structure (could be?) but the Cal side is feeling pretty optimistic that a move to the ACC is happening with 'Furd and while they wont get a full share, its more than 50% and would eventually scale to full partnership.  Would be for most sports but Cal would also be looking to axe a number of programs, mostly men's in all likelihood.  30 sports currently so 6-ish getting chopped would be logical.  We'll see, negotiations are ongoing but UNC/NCState sound like they are close to flipping their vote.

Cal has 14 men's and 15 women's sports, well over the 16 minimum for FBS.
cross country
track indoor
track outdoor
basketball
baseball/softball
golf
tennis
swimming & diving
soccer
rowing
water polo
gymnastics
men's football
men's rugby
women's lacrosse
women's field hockey
women's volleyball

Rugby would clearly be on the chopping block.  Maybe women's lacrosse.  Not sure what else.  They have had some success in one or the other sex in water polo, gymnastics and rowing.

The Ivy League schools chose to leave big time athletics a long time ago and this decision hasn't hurt them at all. Same with The University of Chicago. They aren't going to compromise their admission standards and add easy classes to keep people eligible. Some years ago a journalism group called California Watch found a list of easy classes that Stanford athletes are given so everyone at this level compromises. The University of Michigan has a "General Studies" major that is a joke to keep people eligible. 

1 hour ago, bullet said:

cross country
track indoor
track outdoor
basketball
baseball/softball
golf
tennis
swimming & diving
soccer
rowing
water polo
gymnastics
men's football
men's rugby
women's lacrosse
women's field hockey
women's volleyball

Rugby would clearly be on the chopping block.  Maybe women's lacrosse.  Not sure what else.  They have had some success in one or the other sex in water polo, gymnastics and rowing.

Rugby is self funded and actually makes a small profit.  But its a big Title IX issue.  Would think track, baseball, gymnastics (M&W), lacrosse and field hockey are the most likely candidates 

14 minutes ago, Zhorn96 said:

Rugby is self funded and actually makes a small profit.  But its a big Title IX issue.  Would think track, baseball, gymnastics (M&W), lacrosse and field hockey are the most likely candidates 

Cal rugby is a powerhouse

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MadisonJumpAround said:

Can't reveal too much, but my job hears intel from a company directly tied to one of the Pac 4 left behind schools... 

I have been told that someone..

I was told this is a hail mary. For all I know it is full of crap.I hear stuff all the time from these guys

simoneferris.gif.cd176d5f212933c5c556cf960058d714.gif

• Hook 'Em 1

One of the most interesting things to think about with the future of college football (in my mind) is how AI is likely going to destroy the current college model.

GPT-4, which your can subscribe to for $20 per month, can already score in the 90th percentile on the bar exam.  Everyone thinks the bubble is these college TV deals, what if the actual bubble is the cost of tuition and all these schools are about to get destroyed by technology?

For a century, you paid an obscene amount of money to go to the schools because they could provide students with knowledge that would improve their lives.  What if the cost of knowledge is about to go to zero?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Lulz, this got posted on a Cal board

"ACC insider here: the NC schools flipped. You're in with stanford. Just be aware what an awful mistake you've made. The acc has a contract with ESPN with a composition clause that allows ESPN to renegotiate payouts with schools, but not the acc to negotiate for more money. FSU and Clemson are going to slice the throat of the ACC sometime in the next year. ESPN will slash the payout to the bone after Clemson and FSU leave and the ACC will crumble if 8 schools find landing spots.

Also, prepare to get absolutely hosed on every single call in every single sport whenever you play a school from tobacco road. Pac 12 refs are like little children compared to the game rigging masters at work in the ACC.

That being said,
welcome aboard."

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, FartingDreamer said:

This is something that many fans of blueblood programs have deluded themselves into thinking out of sheer arrogance.  The Big 12 has simply positioned itself to keep a seat at the table as a power conference.  While it won't be top heavy like the SEC and B1G, its floor is higher then both without as much dead weight programs.  Seriously, consider the bottom half of the SEC and B1G and compare that to what will likely be the cyclical nature of the bottom half of the more competitive and intriguing Big 12, which due to such, will have the opportunity to strengthen and elevate its own brand. 

This is a horrifically bad take.

I could buy it if it was just against the Big Ten (especially pre UO/UW) but against the SEC you are a fool.

What the fuck do you think the definition of top heavy means?

The Big12 with UT/OU was top heavy. They literally divided conference media days with one of us in each day because they knew if they put them both on the same day a sizable segment of the media wouldn’t show up for the other day.

When HALF of the SEC has national titles in the BCS/CFP era you can’t call it “top heavy.”

Even if we buy your ridiculous argument and we remove the “top heavy” teams you still have aggy, Arkansas, Ole Miss, Mizzou, Mississippi St, South Carolina, Kentucky, and Vandy

line that bottom half up against the bottom of the new Big 12: Colorado, Tech, Iowa St, Arizona, Arizona St, Cincy, Houston, and Kansas (note Baylor and UCF are in the top half lol)

You’re opinion is bad and you should be ashamed for making everyone who reads it dumber.

Billy Madison Shut Up GIF 

• Hook 'Em 7

9 minutes ago, TKthunder2 said:

Didn't read farting dreamers take but my definition of top heavy is when a conference is dominated by just a few teams (or fewer), over a decent number of years. I think 10 years works well.

By that definition:

ACC = Top heavy (Clemson)

Big 12 = Was top heavy (OU)

Big 10 = Top heavy (OH ST. But I'll give Michigan a mention but only due to recency. They were crap from 2005-2020)

SEC = Top heavy (Alabama and Georgia)

PAC = Not top heavy. They have had 5 different champs the past 10 years.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, John80 said:

The Ivy League schools chose to leave big time athletics a long time ago and this decision hasn't hurt them at all. Same with The University of Chicago. They aren't going to compromise their admission standards and add easy classes to keep people eligible. Some years ago a journalism group called California Watch found a list of easy classes that Stanford athletes are given so everyone at this level compromises. The University of Michigan has a "General Studies" major that is a joke to keep people eligible. 

I remember reading one time DKR was trying to get UT to copy Michigan and couldn't get the administration to do that.

2 hours ago, Zhorn96 said:

Track helps with football.  Many athletes are dual sport.

13 hours ago, FartingDreamer said:

Stanford can't help but turn up their bigoted noses at any university associated with religion. Then there is their elitism that makes swallowing their pride to affiliate with "truck stop" destination schools too much for them.  

Yea let’s see how many playoff spots you get because of that depth 

9 hours ago, TKthunder2 said:

This is a horrifically bad take.

I could buy it if it was just against the Big Ten (especially pre UO/UW) but against the SEC you are a fool.

The Big12 with UT/OU was top heavy. They literally divided conference media days with one of us in each day because they knew if they put them both on the same day a sizable segment of the media wouldn’t show up for the other day.

When HALF of the SEC has national titles in the BCS/CFP era you can’t call it “top heavy.”

Even if we buy your ridiculous argument and we remove the “top heavy” teams you still have aggy, Arkansas, Ole Miss, Mizzou, Mississippi St, South Carolina, Kentucky, and Vandy

line that bottom half up against the bottom of the new Big 12: Colorado, Tech, Iowa St, Arizona, Arizona St, Cincy, Houston, and Kansas (note Baylor and UCF are in the top half lol)

You’re opinion is bad and you should be ashamed for making everyone who reads it dumber.

Billy Madison Shut Up GIF 

His take was emotional.  

as for Stanford and Cal, I find it hard to root against schools especially ones that actually cares about academics.  But if they really turned us down, then I guess they deserve this

10 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

His take was emotional.  

as for Stanford and Cal, I find it hard to root against schools especially ones that actually cares about academics.  But if they really turned us down, then I guess they deserve this

Stanford 100% deserves every bit of shit they get.

• Drool 1

9 hours ago, The Original Greaser Bob said:

You know the stanford chapel is kind of nice.

Duke has a better chapel.

14 hours ago, FartingDreamer said:

The Big 12 has simply positioned itself to keep a seat at the table as a power conference.

Power conference? No.

Conference? Yes.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck You 1

The Big 12 has just about guaranteed its survival as the 3rd best conference. They and their schools are positioned exactly where they deserve to be. They don't deserve to be left out, but they also equipped to compete in the top two conferences.  They all maintain a shot at the title, but can compete with each other on a relatively even playing field.

It would suck worse to be a school like Northwestern or Vanderbilt. Those schools get a nice paycheck, but have no shot.  And their conferences keep getting tougher.  They are looking at a lot of 2-10 type seasons.

It is also going to suck to be in the ACC knowing that the top schools could leave at any minute and threaten the conference.  Schools like Georgia Tech have the potential to wind up like Washington State or Cal.  

I wouldn't be surprised to see a couple of teams in the Big 12 rise up and fill the power vacuum that currently exists (UCF? Colorado? Tech? OSU?). Ironically, elevating a few programs would actually put the conference more at risk.

• Hook 'Em 5

6 minutes ago, HookEm said:

The Big 12 has just about guaranteed its survival as the 3rd best conference. They and their schools are positioned exactly where they deserve to be. They don't deserve to be left out, but they also equipped to compete in the top two conferences.  They all maintain a shot at the title, but can compete with each other on a relatively even playing field.

It would suck worse to be a school like Northwestern or Vanderbilt. Those schools get a nice paycheck, but have no shot.  And their conferences keep getting tougher.  They are looking at a lot of 2-10 type seasons.

It is also going to suck to be in the ACC knowing that the top schools could leave at any minute and threaten the conference.  Schools like Georgia Tech have the potential to wind up like Washington State or Cal.  

I wouldn't be surprised to see a couple of teams in the Big 12 rise up and fill the power vacuum that currently exists (UCF? Colorado? Tech? OSU?). Ironically, elevating a few programs would actually put the conference more at risk.

Exactly.  What do those paychecks and conference affiliations do for fans?  

Even those second tier Big 10 and SEC schools are going to have to adjust their fan expectations.  I know a lot of Iowa fans that are not happy about the Big 10 West going away.  They always had a chance to play for a conference title in that set up, and after this year, unless some lopsided divisions return to the league (or they keep getting schedules that dodge all the good teams in the league), they will probably never play for another conference title.

9 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Exactly.  What do those paychecks and conference affiliations do for fans?  

Even those second tier Big 10 and SEC schools are going to have to adjust their fan expectations.  I know a lot of Iowa fans that are not happy about the Big 10 West going away.  They always had a chance to play for a conference title in that set up, and after this year, unless some lopsided divisions return to the league (or they keep getting schedules that dodge all the good teams in the league), they will probably never play for another conference title.

Iowa is going to have a schedule that is favorable to win 9 games or so just about every year. I don't know what they have done in the past that would make that sort of outcome undesirable to their fans.

15 hours ago, bullet said:

I think I would excel at gymnastics sex. 

• Haha 2

25 minutes ago, The Hot Dog Buffet said:

Iowa is going to have a schedule that is favorable to win 9 games or so just about every year. I don't know what they have done in the past that would make that sort of outcome undesirable to their fans.

That’s what they do in the current arrangement (7-9 is their average))

They all assume their SOS is going up in the future.

And if they win 9 games in the new Big 12, they probably aren’t in the CCG, which they’ve made twice.

22 hours ago, FartingDreamer said:

All this talk about elitism and arrogance is a hoot coming from a cult member whose wacko nutjob religion made being not-white a sin and declared that those who go to heaven must have white and delightful skin.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2
  • Fuck You 2

7 minutes ago, WelfareBuysMyWeed said:

All this talk about elitism and arrogance is a hoot coming from a cult member whose wacko nutjob religion made being not-white a sin and declared that those who go to heaven must have white and delightful skin.

Now, now. They made a big show of pretending it wasn't a sin anymore back in the 80s. And they obviously have no problem with Pacific Islanders.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

7 minutes ago, WelfareBuysMyWeed said:

You seem like the type of person who would rather go to the horses ass vs the horses mouth for information as long as it suits your agenda-dependent reality.  

• Fuck You 2