Realignment talk not going away

The Tower

4 hours ago, camel at sea said:

I'll be interested to see how the TX Leg plays into the Houston issue.  In addition, TTU might come around to viewing an elevated UH as a better partner for trying to exit the Big 12 than TCU/Baylor.

UH does not have much pull in the state leg except for Whitmire if he is still around. 

5 minutes ago, bullet said:

I think the real reason was that Texas wants UH to do well to get some of the pressure off Texas to lower admission standards the way A&M has.  Houston in the Big 12 in 2016 might have helped stem some of the good students going to Oklahoma, Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama etc.  Houston is a better school than the majority of the SEC in just about any ranking other than USNWR.  Its much tougher to get into.  It ranks higher in the research oriented rankings like ARWU.  Only Florida, Georgia, Vandy and A&M are clearly better.

If those underlying factors were in place five years ago... aren't they still in place now?  

Tech and UH at the time (UTD has joined them) were the two schools getting money from the National Research University Fund.  That's the state fund to try to promote more research oriented universities in Texas.  Both wanted more money pumped into that fund.

Just now, camel at sea said:

If those underlying factors were in place five years ago... aren't they still in place now?  

They are still there.  The pressure is probably broader, but without Rick Perry, its not as immediate.  Perry was a C student at A&M when it made Arkansas look like a great school.  He wanted to return A&M to his time and pushed them to rapidly grow from 45k to 65k.  That issue was the reason Powers almost got removed as UT president.  He resisted Perry's effort to dumb down the university.

There are still more and more good suburban students who can't get into UT or A&M.  That creates pressure.

California has 7 public and 3 private AAU universities.  Texas has 2 public and 1 private.

4 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I think going to 10 is the most likely path for the Irate 8. They'll want to limit the slices of pie. 

Baylor, TCU, and possibly Texas Tech will try to block UH to maintain a perceived recruiting advantage. That's more than enough votes. 

I could see the Irate 8 ducking a fight with ESPN for AAC teams, and instead adding Boise and BYU. 

Big 12 made $97 million from the CFP/Sugar Bowl last year.  That's $9.7 million per team.  At 12 teams that's 8.1 million.  At 14, 6.9 million.  At 16, 6.1 million.

Just to make up for splitting the CFP pie smaller, going from 12 to 14 would require $14.4 million in addition to matching the revenue the other schools make.  I'm not sure there are 6 schools that can match the current membership, let alone exceed it.  There certainly are not 8.  There are probably just 3-BYU, UH and Cincinnati.  

If you go to 8, that means most likely UCF and USF.  Then you have to find 3 others.  SMU?  CSU?  Memphis?  Probably drag down the average.  Boise maybe, but they have a lot of other drawbacks, like travel, basketball and academics.

Just no way they can do 16.  And 14 seems questionable, as well as premature until they see if 12 works.

Trying to hurt the AAC and MWC seems like a flawed strategy.  The idea is to try to look more like the Pac 12 and ACC, not more like the MWC and AAC.  Other than Texas and Oklahoma, there really is no overlap between those conferences and the Big 12.

Expanding too much increases the gap vs. the Pac and ACC.  And adding schools like Memphis and Boise makes the Big 12 seem like less a member of the "club" to the presidents of Big 10 and Pac 12 schools.

8 minutes ago, bullet said:

They are still there.  The pressure is probably broader, but without Rick Perry, its not as immediate.  Perry was a C student at A&M when it made Arkansas look like a great school.  He wanted to return A&M to his time and pushed them to rapidly grow from 45k to 65k.  That issue was the reason Powers almost got removed as UT president.  He resisted Perry's effort to dumb down the university.

There are still more and more good suburban students who can't get into UT or A&M.  That creates pressure.

California has 7 public and 3 private AAU universities.  Texas has 2 public and 1 private.

I'm just sorting out who the constituency behind the UH push five years ago might have been and what would have changed.  Abott has been governor since 2015.  It seems to me that (more or less) if the Big 12 expands, there's going to be the same type of pressure from Texas pols now that there was in 2016.  As a result, I'd expect Tech to eventually get behind a UH invite. 

In expanding, the Big 12 should probably ask if there is any possible scenario they could see the Pac or ACC adding one of these schools.  If the answer is no, the Big 12 should say no (except for BYU who would be rejected for different reasons).  So UH, SMU, CSU, UCF, USF and Cincinnati could fill Pac 12 or ACC holes left by a raid by one of the Big 2.  But anyone else?  Maybe UConn if they get their football act together.  But they haven't and they don't fit Big 12 geography.

So that leaves 7 for 2, 4 or 6 slots.

BYU

Houston

Cincinnati

UCF

USF

Colorado St.

SMU

14 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

Am I the only one who doesn't give a quarter of a fuck what becomes of the Big XII?

I mean I guess I could learn to live with the Big 12 surviving, Texas moving to the SEC, and the Big 12 still having all our home rights. But it would definitely be weird.

Time for a Greg Swaim tweet.  If he says it, you can be sure Houston and SMU are in serious contention.
Sounds like he stole this from a tweet by another guy.

Replying to
After Tuesday's #Big 12 meeting, #BYU, #Bearcats, #UCF and #BoisesState may well be the four teams invited, as we've mentioned before that Houston and SMU are likely out.

On 8/27/2021 at 8:12 PM, bullet said:

The Big 10 and ACC aren't going to drop valuable teams for Pac teams.  Others have said the Pac is driving this.  I can't see the Big 10 seeing any value in this.  How many Big 10 teams want to play Arizona and Utah and skip Ohio St. or Michigan?

In this case the value comes in volume and marketing ops.

The easiest is they can set up marketing, made for TV games, laying out terms that the top 4 teams in the Big Ten will be placed in naming-rights games at the beginning of the next season against the top teams in the other two.   With 28 home games a year in this deal, they can put them in NYC/DC/INDY/Philly/Chicago/etc and market the shit out of it.   So lets say the top two of the Pac are USC/Oregon, the ACC is Clemson/Miami and the Big Ten's top four are Ohio State/Penn State/Wisconsin/Michigan you mix and match 4 games that are with the same as a bowl game on your media rights package.   And that's not even including the other 24 games.  (each of the other conferences could do something similar, but the Big Ten will take the best options for itself)

The volume play is two fold, but based on how many guaranteed P5 games can you sell to a media partner.   The Big Ten jumped from like $45 to $54m just buy going to 9 conference games and unloading more crap on BTN, so they were guaranteeing only the highest viewed games would see the air.   This agreement basically allows them to sell ten, without having to have ten conference games.   Not only can they get a bigger bump in revenue for selling more, higher valued games (OOC games are worth jack shit, always, unless they're made for tv and those are usually one offs, BECAUSE they aren't guaranteed to always be a P5 team.), but it also allows them to hedge their bets.   With 10 conference games, the Big Ten would have 70 match ups to sell with a guaranteed 35 losses.   Now, they'd have 70 match ups (the 2 away games to get to the total of 12 would be on the PAC/ACC's media deal), but only 28 guaranteed losses.  That's just on the games they sell, if you factor in the other two games the percent of guaranteed losses over 12 games drops even more.  If the Big Ten feels it would beat the Pac/ACC more than half the time, and I'd take that bet any day of the week, they're better off in positioning for the post season 

If it works they'd make a bunch more due to having more guaranteed games to sell without expanding, more teams with better records at the end of the season, with resumes of playing 12 teams in the P5 field, and they saddle the Pac12/ACC with more losses.   

Advantage Big Ten.

It does strike me though that the math on this only works if all three conferences are sitting at 16.   On top of that it wouldn't shock me either if ND didn't join the ACC, but joined the alliance and was given 5 games in the ACC and 6 in the Big Ten/Pac, leaving their last open date for Navy, which is almost what it is already.

That expansion wouldn't need to be with big ticket schools, because the marketing is determined by wins, and all the non winning games are subsidized by conference networks.   The volume of adding any two schools, however allows you to sell 15% more of the best matched up games than now.    The issue in be doing this, that I can find, is it would put Clemson/SoCar, FSU/Florida, Louisville/Kentucky, and GTech/UGA would at risk, and ISU/Iowa, assuming they don't assimilate the Cyclones.

There is no way though that, if they pull this off, that it doesn't make more for all of them.   It basically patches the last remaining hole in CFB inventory, the unknown, and there for worthless, OOC games, which makes up over a quarter of the current schedule.

Edit:   actually, without expanding the conference season, it only works with ND joining the ACC, which would give them two against the Big Ten and PAC yearly.  

Edited by Hurtlocker

I'd take Memphis first, at least it's a cool city, and none of them are really distinguishable, just more weakness to a dying conference. It'll most likely be BYU, Cincinnati, Memphis, and Houston. I don't give a single shit about commuter schools in Florida. We have commuter schools much closer to home that can at least save on travel costs, since we'll be making peanuts from any media contracts with or without these additions.

12 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Love how tech, Baylor, and tcu pull rank on Smu and cooger high right after bitching all over the lege about Texas pulling rank on them. 

everyone needs somebody to look down at i guess. Human nature. 

Goes back to the buckeye Fan who said Nebraska left because of revenue sharing.  They voted against it

Edited by closetohumping

21 minutes ago, 'stache said:

I'd take Memphis first, at least it's a cool city, and none of them are really distinguishable, just more weakness to a dying conference. It'll most likely be BYU, Cincinnati, Memphis, and Houston. I don't give a single shit about commuter schools in Florida. We have commuter schools much closer to home that can at least save on travel costs, since we'll be making peanuts from any media contracts with or without these additions.

I don't think UCF is really a commuter school anymore, or no moreso than Cincy or UH. Their attendance is second best of the candidates behind BYU. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, bullet said:
Time for a Greg Swaim tweet.  If he says it, you can be sure Houston and SMU are in serious contention.
Sounds like he stole this from a tweet by another guy.

Replying to
After Tuesday's #Big 12 meeting, #BYU, #Bearcats, #UCF and #BoisesState may well be the four teams invited, as we've mentioned before that Houston and SMU are likely out.

There's been a lot of smoke about those four teams so he's probably just parroting that.

On 8/29/2021 at 7:57 PM, Vertigo said:

This is epic. The aggy thing made me lol. Twitter worthy @immamac

On 8/29/2021 at 7:27 PM, LTbear said:

I'm a Baylor fan and have no problem saying that's fucking hilarious. Well done. 

On 8/29/2021 at 6:35 PM, Goodbye and Good Luck said:

I made a thing for this thread, better than the shitty B1G version upthread.  If you like it maybe make it into a new thread, I'm too new.  I included a few easter eggs for Surly.

LOL thanks.  I made some gifs for sharing if you want to push to twitter or whatever

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, 'stache said:

I think UCF and USF just bring no synergy to the rest.  Its too hard to break into Florida with the SEC and ACC already entrenched.  With those schools 2+2=3.75.  With a school like Houston I think its more likely a 2+2=4.5.

37 minutes ago, bullet said:

I think UCF and USF just bring no synergy to the rest.  Its too hard to break into Florida with the SEC and ACC already entrenched.  With those schools 2+2=3.75.  With a school like Houston I think its more likely a 2+2=4.5.

Like you, I used to think UCF was a flash in the pan. I don't think that is the case any longer.  The Big 12 would be stupid not to offer them a spot.

https://theathletic.com/2785167/2021/08/24/ucf-has-money-fans-and-a-new-facilities-plan-in-conference-realignment-will-someone-notice/?source=emp_shared_article

UCF would like you to pay attention.

That’s not anything new, really. Whether it’s declaring and forcefully defending a national championship claim or attacking someone for committing the sin of saying “Central Florida,” UCF wants to make noise. It always has.

But the “you” in this situation is different this time. It’s not “you” the fan or “you” the College Football Playoff selection committee member. It’s “you,” the Power 5 conference. If hiring Gus Malzahn this offseason wasn’t enough, perhaps the reveal of plans for a “football campus” might do it. Plans for a widescale facilities upgrade that school leaders believe could rival anyone else in college football.

When athletic director Terry Mohajir arrived in February, he began an assessment of facilities, as all new ADs do. Some minor upgrades, like new turf for the indoor practice facility, have already been implemented. But Mohajir wanted a grander plan, and his people worked at a “warp-speed” pace to put one together.

Then Texas and Oklahoma to the SEC happened. The stakes got higher. Mohajir went to the UCF board of trustees meeting last Thursday to make a presentation — really, it was a presentation to the greater college football world.

One question sits at the top of the mind of every athletic program right now: Where do we fit in conference realignment? It may not say so publicly, but UCF would very much like an invitation from the Big 12 if the remaining eight teams stay together. Every Group of 5 team would. Many of them have already inquired. A repurposed Big 12 without Texas and Oklahoma would still likely command more television and College Football Playoff money than the Group of 5 conferences. It would also provide elevated status.

Now it’s about selling oneself. Between a new facilities plan and television numbers that are comparable to the rest of the Big 12, UCF thinks it can.

Spoiler

“I really believe we are a consistent Top 25 program,” Mohajir told The Athletic. “And I truly believe that, in due time, we will be a consistent top-10 program.

UCF doesn’t have a long history. The school opened in 1968. It began playing football in Division III in 1979 and moved up to the FBS in 1996 as an independent. Daunte Culpepper became a first-round pick in 1999. UCF spent three years in the MAC and eight in Conference USA before joining the Big East, which reshaped into the American Athletic Conference.

Everything went fast. UCF opened an indoor practice facility in 2005, the first by any FBS school in Florida. An on-campus stadium opened in 2007. They aren’t the nicest facilities out there, but they’re there. Rival USF still doesn’t have either. UCF has made racing forward its priority, pacing and planning be damned. In 2019, the school’s president and board chair resigned amid an investigation into the misuse of funds for unauthorized school construction projects.

Enrollment has exploded to more than 70,000, and it’s not just a commuter school anymore. Football success has followed, as the Knights reached BCS/New Year’s Six bowl games in 2013, 2017 and 2018, with three top-10 finishes. A real fan base developed. The football team sold out all 28,000 season tickets in 2019. Its online army is relentless in the college football Twitter world. As of July 2019, UCF athletics ranked in the top 10 nationally in Twitter, Facebook and Instagram engagement.

All of which led to Thursday’s meeting. Mohajir laid out a three-phase vision for the “football campus” around the current football setup. Phase 1 involves the creation of a plaza outside the stadium, highlighted by the lazy river the school has planned for years (technically called “Recovery Cove”). It’ll be the front porch to the stadium for fans. Phase 2 will be a football operations building attached to the stadium and an expanded student section. Phase 3 will be a renovation of the locker room, training room, sports performance center and equipment facility.

“With all the stuff we have going here, with the size of the campus, the NIL opportunities, we believe we’ll be able to compete with anybody in the country when it comes to recruiting,” Mohajir said.

Speaking to the board, Mohajir estimated the football campus would cost around $50 million, part of a $130 million investment in all sports. It’s the beginning of a long process, but Mohajir has turned these visions into reality before. FAU Stadium, which opened in 2011, was his project as an assistant athletic director at Florida Atlantic. As Arkansas State AD, he led a stadium renovation and creation of a football operations building that opened in 2019, a stunning structure that could rival almost anyone in the nation. New Red Wolves coach Butch Jones recently called Mohajir to thank him for the facilities in place in Jonesboro.

The UCF presentation is out there now. Will the Big 12 notice? The school’s board asked Mohajir about Texas, Oklahoma and the changing landscape.

“The timing happens to be appropriate, but we started this way before the Texas and Oklahoma announcement,” Mohajir said. “We’re creating a vision to be the best we can be. We think this puts us on a level playing field.”

The presentation was not just about facilities. It was an overall athletics recap. One slide Mohajir presented to the board said UCF has had the ninth-most nationally televised games on major TV networks since 2018, because TV ratings paint a picture, too.

From 2018 to 2019, Big 12 home games not involving Texas or Oklahoma averaged 886,000 viewers. If you take out Fox and FS1 games, the 22 Big 12 home games on ABC, ESPN or ESPN2 averaged 1.37 million viewers, as The Athletic’s Stewart Mandel broke down. Take out one massive Ohio State-TCU game, and the Big 12’s ESPN-only number drops to 1.1 million. By comparison, the 49 AAC home games on ABC/ESPN networks in that span averaged 1.01 million viewers.

UCF’s 14 games on those ABC/ESPN networks averaged 1.09 million viewers in that span, according to additional data from Sports Media Watch, essentially the same as the rest of the Big 12. (There were two ABC/ESPN2 mirror games not included because the data is unclear.) That number is boosted by 3.2 million who watched the 2018 UCF-Cincinnati game but doesn’t include the 4.7 million who watched the dramatic 2017 UCF-USF game, and opponents like UConn, East Carolina and Temple push the recent numbers down a bit.

“We’re an outstanding TV brand. That’s why we’re on,” Mohajir said. “The powers that be that choose teams think we’re a good brand. A lot of it has to do with eyeballs. So whether you’re undefeated or have eight wins, we have that deep breadth of eyeballs because of the size of our campus, our alumni base and our region.”

UCF’s athletic budget for the upcoming year is $73 million, and Mohajir told the board he hopes to increase that to $100 million in the next five years. UCF athletics finished the 2021 fiscal year in the black, in part thanks to $6 million in buyout money from Tennessee for former AD Danny White and former head coach Josh Heupel.

How does that compare to the Big 12? Kansas State has the lowest athletic budget in the league, at $83.5 million in 2019-20 before the pandemic. Most other Big 12 schools outside of Texas and Oklahoma are in the mid-90s. But television money accounts for almost that entire difference, as Big 12 schools make around $20 million more in annual television payouts than AAC schools — a number that is about to change dramatically with Texas’ and Oklahoma’s pending departures.

When that number drops, would UCF push it up? What about Cincinnati, Houston or BYU?

For now, conference realignment is at a standstill. The next domino to fall, if there is one, is likely to start in the Big 12. Either the league will fall apart as the eight remaining teams go elsewhere, or they’ll stay together and likely try to add teams. Mohajir described everything as one big staring contest at the moment.

If the Big 12 expands, UCF is ready for the call. The school and athletic department have willed themselves into position over the past two decades, hoping to finally take that last big step. But no one knows what comes next.

“You have to align yourself with eyeballs and viewership and alumni bases,” Mohajir said of UCF’s resume. “That’s why we believe we’re the future of college football.”

• Hook 'Em 1

43 minutes ago, bullet said:

Meh, UH doesn't move the needle either. Adding AAC teams does nothing to help our football standing outside the P4. I've said before if this is our fate, I at least want to stay relevant in basketball. With KU, and defending champs BU (barf), Tech having played for a title recently and having some on and off success, and WVU and ISU being pretty good pretty often, adding Houston and Memphis help, they are both currently pre-season top 15 I think. Cincinnati also has some historical success in basketball. BYU is good every now and then when they have some 28 year old white guy who can shoot 3 pointers. If those are the adds, that is the only positive I can see from these adds.

PS:  I'd also consider Wichita State as a non-football member for basketball and baseball purposes.

Edited by 'stache

35 minutes ago, bullet said:

I generally agree but if we can take anything from the process 5 years ago it's that the Big 12's presidents do not like Memphis.  The Tigers - even with FedEx promising to bribe the league - didn't make it past the first cut.  Maybe they've won enough football games (70% win pct last 5 years) and made enough improvement on the academic side to change that.  If it were me, I'd probably go this way:

+2: BYU, UH
+4: Cincy, Memphis
+6: UCF, USF

We'll see who they line up as a TV partner.  The MWC has a deal with CBS and FOX as a combo.  I kind of expect the Big 12 to move in that direction.

4 minutes ago, camel at sea said:

I generally agree but if we can take anything from the process 5 years ago it's that the Big 12's presidents do not like Memphis.  The Tigers - even with FedEx promising to bribe the league - didn't make it past the first cut.  Maybe they've won enough football games (70% win pct last 5 years) and made enough improvement on the academic side to change that.  If it were me, I'd probably go this way:

We'll see who they line up as a TV partner.  The MWC has a deal with CBS and FOX as a combo.  I kind of expect the Big 12 to move in that direction.

I'd be pretty shocked if UCF wasn't in the top 3. 

Do we know Memphis didn't make the first cut last time? I don't recall who did or didn't make the cut. 

38 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Meh, UH doesn't move the needle either. Adding AAC teams does nothing to help our football standing outside the P4. I've said before if this is our fate, I at least want to stay relevant in basketball. With KU, and defending champs BU (barf), Tech having played for a title recently and having some on and off success, and WVU and ISU being pretty good pretty often, adding Houston and Memphis help, they are both currently pre-season top 15 I think. Cincinnati also has some historical success in basketball. BYU is good every now and then when they have some 28 year old white guy who can shoot 3 pointers. If those are the adds, that is the only positive I can see from these adds.

PS:  I'd also consider Wichita State as a non-football member for basketball and baseball purposes.

Usually UH draws well on TV when they play a Big 12 school.  They're probably the safest bet on the board to do that outside of BYU.  I think Coog fans over-value themselves and the short term potential of their program quite a bit.  But I do think they'd be indistinguishably Big 12-ish within a decade of joining and they'd help the league maintain a visible presence in that market.  

If the league went with BYU (Football Only), Houston, Memphis, and Cincinnati... that is very salty in basketball.  Arguably it's better than the status quo and the status quo is as a top 2 basketball conference nationally.  You could get Wichita State (or Creighton) to be the "all sports but football" 12th team.  If not, then you can play a double round robin with 11 schools.    

34 minutes ago, camel at sea said:

Usually UH draws well on TV when they play a Big 12 school.  They're probably the safest bet on the board to do that outside of BYU.  I think Coog fans over-value themselves and the short term potential of their program quite a bit.  But I do think they'd be indistinguishably Big 12-ish within a decade of joining and they'd help the league maintain a visible presence in that market.  

If the league went with BYU (Football Only), Houston, Memphis, and Cincinnati... that is very salty in basketball.  Arguably it's better than the status quo and the status quo is as a top 2 basketball conference nationally.  You could get Wichita State (or Creighton) to be the "all sports but football" 12th team.  If not, then you can play a double round robin with 11 schools.    

If you don't take all of BYU sports, at least take hoops with football.

On 8/30/2021 at 2:56 PM, Francisco 2.0 said:

I don't  get why everyone is so sure ESPN is going to take over college football?  They will have a big fight on their hands now with the BIG, ACC, PAC alliance in getting everything they want.  

If the playoff gets expanded and the games go to the open market for bidding, ESPN is hosed.  Someone like Amazon could come in and outbid them for those games...If a player like Amazon figures out they can make a lot of money with targetted ads and marketing during College football games, ESPN is in trouble...

ESPN might make 5 dollars off there channels per cable subscription, just think how much Amazon could make off targeted ads and marketing during a playoff college game...

5 hours ago, LTbear said:

I don't think UCF is really a commuter school anymore, or no moreso than Cincy or UH. Their attendance is second best of the candidates behind BYU. 

Only provided info thru FSU...

10 Largest Florida Colleges With Most Students

1. University of Central Florida 68,475 Students
  2. Florida International University 57,942 Students
  3. Miami Dade College 54,973 Students
  4. University of Florida 52,218 Students
  5. Valencia College 46,521 Students
  6. University of South Florida-Main Campus 43,846 Students
  7. Florida State University 41,005 Students 

2 hours ago, camel at sea said:

If it were me, I'd probably go this way:

Just don't see UH making it in unless Kansas really wants them for basketball competition.

Tech, bailor, and tcu don't want UH

4 hours ago, David Dennison said:

I'm starting to get worried that we're going to be playing in the Big 12 in 2022.

Someone talk me down.

I think we move after this season, but it wouldn't surprise me if we're here another two seasons.   The attempt by aggy to get help blocking the move by trying to get SEC and other fans to turn on the SEC office seems to have exposed things two years ahead of schedule.

There's no way the UT administration will allow the school's sports programs to undergo more than one academic year of transition.  The amount of damage that can be done to our programs in this one year alone is cause for grave concern.  More than a single season of suffering as a lame duck program, can't and won't be tolerated.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, utee94 said:

There's no way the UT administration will allow the school's sports programs to undergo more than one academic year of transition.  The amount of damage that can be done to our programs in this one year alone is cause for grave concern.  More than a single season of suffering as a lame duck program, can't and won't be tolerated.

I guess I dont understand. What damage is there? 

Not being flippant 

1 minute ago, nineliveslost said:

I guess I dont understand. What damage is there? 

Not being flippant 

Bad PR, bad calls, the B12 withholding payments== we're about to watch the B12 do everything within its power to harm us, on our way out.  We're now a direct competitor to their presence in sports, and especially within the state of Texas.  There's no way our administration will be willing to subject the athletic programs to more than a year of that.

• Hook 'Em 3

28 minutes ago, Azbadlands said:

I don't  get why everyone is so sure ESPN is going to take over college football?  They will have a big fight on their hands now with the BIG, ACC, PAC alliance in getting everything they want.  

If the playoff gets expanded and the games go to the open market for bidding, ESPN is hosed.  Someone like Amazon could come in and outbid them for those games...If a player like Amazon figures out they can make a lot of money with targetted ads and marketing during College football games, ESPN is in trouble...

ESPN might make 5 dollars off there channels per cable subscription, just think how much Amazon could make off targeted ads and marketing during a playoff college game...

What impact do you think the “alliance” has or will have?  It seems like it’s worth about as much as the paper it’s written on…

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Bad PR, bad calls, the B12 withholding payments== we're about to watch the B12 do everything within its power to harm us, on our way out.  We're now a direct competitor to their presence in sports, and especially within the state of Texas.  There's no way our administration will be willing to subject the athletic programs to more than a year of that.

10-4

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Professor Chesney said:

What impact do you think the “alliance” has or will have?  It seems like it’s worth about as much as the paper it’s written on…

They have votes if they choose to align their votes.  They could determine how many autobids each conference gets for the playoffs for example...Or, they could determine how many games the playoff expands by, and when it expands.  They could choose to have it not expand until the current contracts end so that it goes to the open market to the highest bidder...That's  if all these conferences schools choose to align and vote with each other...

24 minutes ago, utee94 said:

I think it comes down to how much? And what OU can afford.  I have a feeling we won't leave them behind.

Just now, Gaffords said:

I think it comes down to how much? And what OU can afford.  I have a feeling we won't leave them behind.

I'm certain we already had a plan to buyout whatever was necessary.  I don't believe for a second that the actual plan was for 2-3 years from now, and the ags scuttled it.  There's zero chance that we could have kept this under wraps for that long, a leak was bound to happen, the ags just happened to get there first.

I suspect we'll settle for around 40% of the contractual values, same as every other team that's left its conference over the past dozen years.