Realignment talk not going away

The Tower

18 hours ago, BB65 said:

Will this be a conference game for both teams?

No, just one of them.

14 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

So just so I can get this straight... The big 10, who essentially started the demise of the big 12 by poaching Nebraska, and the Pac, who poached Colorado from the big 12, and the ACC who poached anything of value from the Big East are entering into a gentleman's "no poaching" agreement to stabilize college football because they are all shitting their pants over Texas and OU going SEC. Karma is certainly a bitch. 

Nailed it.

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

That's why nothing was put in writing.  The conferences have "done" anything yet besides a presser.  I suspect the 3 conferences have their "top men" on it.

Might I recommend hiring Spence Jones once his season of holding is done?  https://twitter.com/SpenceJones

He is perfect for the Pac 12 as demonstrated back in February.

5 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Yup...poach the following:

Pac - USC, Oregon
BIG - Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State
ACC - Clemson, Florida State, Miami

Gets to 24 then split into two 12 team divisions East and West

If the SEC really wanted to do this you’d need more schools.  Just stacking all the elite teams in one conference isn’t going to work , you need the weaker teams to feed to stronger ones wins.  I also don’t think you ignore basketball.

In addition to your picks I’d add Kansas, Nebraska, Iowa, Wisconsin, Northwestern, Notre Dame, Maryland, Virginia, North Carolina, Duke, Colorado, Arizona, UCLA, Cal, Stanford, and Washington.

That’s 40 teams which is 5 pods of 8.  Pods winners plus 3 wildcards makes an 8 team playoffs.  You have most of the best P5 private schools, most of the best P5 public schools, and the 4 blue bloods in basketball.

You could add another 8-10 if needed to go to 48-50 (still some really solid flagships out there) but there is a point where you go too far and you just end up with all the same schools again so smaller would generally be better.  The goal is to maximize to eyeballs and stagger those games so they are spread as evenly as possible over the season to get the best return for your TV contract.

1 hour ago, billfromlaketravis said:

So what's UT's plan? If there's no lawsuit, there's no settlement/early exit. 

Waiting for the Big 12 to implode hasn't worked thus far. 

I'm guessing the hope was implosion and it certainly doesn't appear that is going to happen in the near term.  I'm starting to think pretty unlikely this gets done by next season.   It seems like the most likely path is some combination of Big 12 expansion plus UT and OU settlement.  Potential wildcard I posted yesterday could be a sweetener where an expanded Big 12 could form some type of scheduling alliance with the SEC as part of the deal.   Clearly the 3 conference "Alliance" announced yesterday is super light on details but it could potentially freeze out a bunch of power 5 non-conference opponents the Big 12 will desperately need after losing Texas and OU.  Obviously if the Irate 8 play hardball, the SEC could effectively agree (at Sankey's direction) to freeze out these schools as well from future schedules.  Losing TX and OU as marquee opponents with potentially no other power 5 team having any desire to schedule you should, to me, be a huge concern for the irate 8.  A Big 12/SEC challenge weekend in football (which would presumably involve TX and OU annually) could help solve a scheduling problem, guarantee a good home game every other year and add revenue for left behind schools.

7 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Yup...poach the following:

Pac - USC, Oregon
BIG - Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State
ACC - Clemson, Florida State, Miami

Gets to 24 then split into two 12 team divisions East and West

Again, if you're gonna go Prestige Worldwide, just do it already. It will mean shedding the SEC's "dead weight" like the Mississippi schools, South Carolina, and probably mizzou and arky. 

22 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

My God.  The mind reels over the thought of some of the LSU faithful roaming free in Vegas.  

Then again, parts of it's not much different than Bourbon Street.

It'd be great if Orgeron was still at LSU.

8043_1.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, utee94 said:

We're joking about it but on another message board I frequent, there are actually Big Ten fans, that think Texas and the SEC are doing dirty deeds here, and are ruining college football.  They don't get it-- at all-- that it's THEIR conference that started all of this, both in 1991 when it added PSU, and in 2010 when they began raiding the B12 and ACC.

If I were an ACC fan or administrator, I'd have ZERO trust in the B1G.  This is all their fault.

And then they talk about "equal" revenue sharing.  SEC let Missouri and A&M in almost 100% equal.  Big 12 did 50/67/75/83/100 for TCU/WVU.  Pac 12 did something in between on Colorado and Utah got something similar to the Big 12.  The Big 10?  Rutgers in 2017-18, 3 years after joining, was only making $11.7 million in distributions.  The continuing members were making $54 million.  Nebraska was about $50 million behind where they would have been if they simply stayed in the Big 12 after 5 years.

1 hour ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

My God.  The mind reels over the thought of some of the LSU faithful roaming free in Vegas.  

Then again, parts of it's not much different than Bourbon Street.

Except Vega$/Lost Wage$ (Old Strip & New Strip) has infinitely more restrooms than Bourbon Street and its early-hours pee odors.  Lulz.

10 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

This is about right.  The alliance is nothing more than locking arms nd letting the SEC know that if the 3 conferences band together in a voting block, the SEC is not going to be able to dictate the direction of college football all on its own.  The reason they don't have anything in writing at this point is a) things are still being developed, b) it is going to be a loose alliance anyway, and c) putting it in writing could expose the conferences to a collusion claim.  

The Big 12, as many have stated, really offers very little to any of them.  They will backfill the void left by Texas and OU with a few G5 schools, and the question is whether they will get recognized as a Power 5 or not.  I suppose with playoff expansion, it may not matter beyond semantics.

The 12 should really add Boise, BYU, USF, Lville and SD state. 

They can have 2 divisions. 1. Fly Over Country and 2. Fly All Over tCountry

For survival, the irate 8 should add BYU, Cincinnati, Memphis and Houston. Go with divisions of

North

BYU-Iowa state-Kansas- KSU-Cincinnati-WVU

South

Texas Tech-Okie Lite-TCU-Baylor-Houston-Memphis 

Play 8 conference games. Teams should try to have one marquee matchup against a tougher team in their region to promote interest and play 3 other patty cakes to build the overall record of the conference. 

Say one year you have BYU beating Utah, Okie lite beating OUsux, Memphis beating Arkansas etc that will make the league respectable and will help to add interest from the bigger markets. 

Nothing they do will put them on a tier with the SEC or the Big10 but they can definitely go after the PAC 12 if they are aggressive and smart about what they do. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, HornsofBevo said:

For survival, the irate 8 should add BYU, Cincinnati, Memphis and Houston. Go with divisions of

North

South

Play 8 conference games. Teams should try to have one marquee matchup against a tougher team in their region to promote interest and play 3 other patty cakes to build the overall record of the conference. 

Say one year you have BYU beating Utah, Okie lite beating OUsux, Memphis beating Arkansas etc that will make the league respectable and will help to add interest from the bigger markets. 

Nothing they do will put them on a tier with the SEC or the Big10 but they can definitely go after the PAC 12 if they are aggressive and smart about what they do. 

You had me until the end.

11 hours ago, HornsofBevo said:

North

South

I would think UCF needs to be a target

North

BYU/ ISU/ KU/ KSU/ Cincy/ WVU

South

BU/ TT/ TCU/ OSU/ UCF/ Memphis (or USF or UH)

24 minutes ago, mdmost said:

LOL ...."At this time."

This means about as much as the stupid fucking alliance.

As soon as ESPN figures out how to get OU/Texas out of the Big 12 without paying any exit fees, and the conference can officially dissolve before 2025, it will suddenly be the "right time" for the PAC to expand.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

It awaits it fate just as the Big 12 did when it decided not to expand.

I don't think the Pac 12 needed to do anything just for the sake of expanding. If Oregon or USC goes 11-1, they have a great shot of getting into the playoff. They absolutely need to expand the playoff to ensure they'll always get it. Adding Tech, oSu, or TCU wasn't going to make the Pac 12 that much stronger. The Alliance is actually exactly what the Pac 12 needed. Get some ACC and Big 10 OOC opponents on each team's schedule while also not further watering down your conference. USC and Oregon weren't going to be happy adding reach teams.

2 minutes ago, oSuJeff97 said:

LOL ...."At this time."

This means about as much as the stupid fucking alliance.

As soon as ESPN figures out how to get OU/Texas out of the Big 12 without paying any exit fees, and the conference can officially dissolve before 2025, it will suddenly be the "right time" for the PAC to expand.

The Big 12's remaining option is to expand. It can try to stand pat at 10 till 2025 but ESPN isn't going to wait that long on paying out to move Texas and OU. 

4 hours ago, LTbear said:

I would think UCF needs to be a target

North

BYU/ ISU/ KU/ KSU/ Cincy/ WVU

South

BU/ TT/ TCU/ OSU/ UCF/ Memphis (or USF or UH)

I've been calling for a more East v West thing

"East"

KU/KSU/ISU/Cincy/WVU/UCF

"West"

BU/BYU/oSu/TCU/Tech/UH (or Boise or Memphis)

Edited by SimonBolivar
  • Hook 'Em 2

10 minutes ago, mdmost said:

The Big 12's remaining option is to expand. It can try to stand pat at 10 till 2025 but ESPN isn't going to wait that long on paying out to move Texas and OU. 

That's my point.

I fully expect ESPN to be working full-time to get OU/Texas into the SEC ASAP without having to pay exit fees. The quickest way to make that happen is to get the Big 12's best leftovers (likely OSU, WVU, KU, ISU, TTU) placed somewhere they find acceptable, thus the conference blows up on its own and nobody pays exit fees and everyone goes on their merry ways.

So the PAC or the B1G or the ACC may say we're not expanding "at this time" but that's just talk. As soon as the details are worked out and the money is there, the "time" will be correct.

I don't think it matters one way or another what the Big 12 "decides" to do, vis a vis expansion. The only way it makes sense to expand now is if OU/Texas exit the league via exit fees before most of the other leftovers have a place to land and the conference continues to exist through 2025 without OU/Texas and you literally just need warm bodies to limp to 2025. Because the entire CFB landscape will be different, one way or another, by 2025.

Edited by oSuJeff97
  • Hook 'Em 1