The Boat Fanatic Thread

Yarbr

And I'm not 100% locked in on a SANTE.  Mastercraft and Malibu are on the short list too.  Here's one I'm going to check out in person right there near my old digs from my hardscrabble days in Lakeway...

Image 8-30-20 at 7.54 AM.jpeg

Image 8-30-20 at 7.55 AM.jpeg

Edited by Cajun

I’m sold on Centurion. I plan to either put in an order for an Ri245 soon, or buy a very lightly used Ri237.

But first I need to find a slip for sale or lease on Lake Austin. Ideally one near Rivercrest. Anyone have any leads on one coming available anytime soon?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are you only looking at the 23+ foot boats? This is a great hull that will hold value. The Wakesetter name goes back a long way and you can find 10-15 year old ones still trading over $50k all day. Also, are you wakeboarding or just surfing? I’ve not been particularly happy with the new big freeboard boat series that out there for wakeboarding. It’s personal preference but the G’s, MX’s, SA’s etc are big boats.

https://www.onlyinboards.com/2019-22-LSV-LOADED-AND-IN-PERFECT-CONDITION-for-sale-Windermere-Florida-115190.aspx

Edited by Brew

I’m going to check with Texas Malibu and maybe the Centurion dealer and see what wait times and prices are for a new build. If we can get into a new one and reset the wear and tear clock we just might do it. We’ve got plenty of “equity” in this one to possibly have a no out of pocket flip.

I was just at the centurion dealer recently. If you place an order now we won’t get your boat until December.

3 hours ago, Brew said:

Are you only looking at the 23+ foot boats? This is a great hull that will hold value. The Wakesetter name goes back a long way and you can find 10-15 year old ones still trading over $50k all day. Also, are you wakeboarding or just surfing? I’ve not been particularly happy with the new big freeboard boat series that out there for wakeboarding. It’s personal preference but the G’s, MX’s, SA’s etc are big boats.

https://www.onlyinboards.com/2019-22-LSV-LOADED-AND-IN-PERFECT-CONDITION-for-sale-Windermere-Florida-115190.aspx

Yeah, I'd like a 23 footer, but that is a damned fine looking boat.  We surf, ski, and tube.  No wakeboarding.  I value joints and ligaments just a bit too much.

41 minutes ago, Cajun said:

Yeah, I'd like a 23 footer, but that is a damned fine looking boat.  We surf, ski, and tube.  No wakeboarding.  I value joints and ligaments just a bit too much.

Started riding a skate several years ago for that reason. It’s easier on my knees and ankles and I’m less inclined to get stupid on it. There are a lot of boats out there in that low $100k price range, so you should be able to find exactly what you want. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Good luck on that slip.  Last time I checked the waiting list was 2yrs.  And be ready for sticker shock.  

I’ve seen the sticker, I’ve experienced the shock, and I’ve recovered. I live right around the corner from this one:

https://www.estately.com/listings/info/4518-rivercrest-dr

That’s way more boat dock than what I need though. I just need a lift and a roof. I’m willing to pay the ridiculous asking prices b/c I figure the value will only go up and I’ll be getting a good return on my investment at some point when I’m ready to let it go.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Sbbruin said:

@G650 your sled is in a whole different class.  Damn, the polars are tight.  One day I would love to sail that with you.

Fuck, love to have you come. Will have to try and make it happen, I hope to go back to the west coast one of these days for some racing.

13 minutes ago, Bob Lives! said:

I’ve seen the sticker, I’ve experienced the shock, and I’ve recovered. I live right around the corner from this one:

That’s way more boat dock than what I need though. I just need a lift and a roof. I’m willing to pay the ridiculous asking prices b/c I figure the value will only go up and I’ll be getting a good return on my investment at some point when I’m ready to let it go.

That is f-ing nuts. I paid $150K for my lake house and 1 acre. It has 2 bedrooms and a bathroom with a full basement.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, Bob Lives! said:

Holy shit!  Yeah, pay no attention to me.  You roll looking at docks like that and you are about 17 levels above my pay grade.

That dock's nicer than everything I own put together.

So back in like 2001 or 2002 one of these little docks came on the market. I was on the lake every day having a good time and kept driving by it. So I stopped.

It was 120k or so but it was perfect to add a bedroom and small living area though. As it stood it was just metal and steel and whatever but fairly new/redone. I was not married and had a good bit of equity in my house in central austin so I was going to buy this thing.

Started working on it with my mom (she was an agent) and looked like this was going to happen.

Then the girl I was dating called me and said “guess what I have in my belly?”

I did not make the purchase. Now it is all pimped out I am sure and worth 2mm dollars and I’m over here looking at colleges.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Hook 'Em 2

The prices make absolutely no sense over here. You can buy a really nice lakehouse most places for the same as what gets you a tear down slip over here, and that’s if you can even find one. Because the market absolutely will bear those insane prices and they sell before anybody even hears about them. This 2M one though is really pushing the limits.

Check out this place that is going up soon: https://westharbourlakeaustin.com

The slips alone were 500K. They were all purchased immediately upon going on the market. There are just a couple left still pending close. There is a list of over 15 backups. If any of the backups actually get reached, their price is 625K. Not sure what the dues are, but they are obviously substantial. Unfortunately I didn’t hear about this place in time to snatch one up. I don’t need all the amenities, but it would’ve been worth it anyways.

My best hope right now is from a friend of ours who is building on Lake Austin. The lot they bought came with plans which include a two slip dock. If they stick with those plans, they have told us we can rent one of the slips. As soon as they pull the trigger on the plans, I pull the trigger on the boat.

I've also got to imagine lake austin is stupid busy right now.  I've always considered it infinitely more dangerous than lake travis for surfing, skiing, wakeboarding, even tubing which you can't really do there.  it's like skateboarding in front of a mack truck on I-35 being pulled behind a car, if you fuck up and fall you're gonna die.  the only times I would even consider it would be Monday through Wednesday during the early part of the day.

• Hook 'Em 1

16 hours ago, Bob Lives! said:

The prices make absolutely no sense over here. You can buy a really nice lakehouse most places for the same as what gets you a tear down slip over here, and that’s if you can even find one. Because the market absolutely will bear those insane prices and they sell before anybody even hears about them. This 2M one though is really pushing the limits.

Check out this place that is going up soon: https://westharbourlakeaustin.com

The slips alone were 500K. They were all purchased immediately upon going on the market. There are just a couple left still pending close. There is a list of over 15 backups. If any of the backups actually get reached, their price is 625K. Not sure what the dues are, but they are obviously substantial. Unfortunately I didn’t hear about this place in time to snatch one up. I don’t need all the amenities, but it would’ve been worth it anyways.

My best hope right now is from a friend of ours who is building on Lake Austin. The lot they bought came with plans which include a two slip dock. If they stick with those plans, they have told us we can rent one of the slips. As soon as they pull the trigger on the plans, I pull the trigger on the boat.

Man, I love Lake Austin and have had more than my share of good times there, but for me there are just too many other kickass lakes close around that do not exact those kinds of prices.

I've been hitting Canyon Lake since moving back to SA and in addition to not feeling like I'm operating in a washing machine on the weekends, everything around there is affordable. Water is clear and not bull frog muddy green.  I have my boat in a covered storage with a slab, climate control, and electical outlets/lights for $180/mo.  The ramp is 3/10ths of a mile from where it's kept.  

I don't even want to think about what that would cost around Lake Austin.  Well, you couldn't find it, so I guess it wouldn't matter.

Edited by Cajun

1 hour ago, troph said:

I've also got to imagine lake austin is stupid busy right now.  I've always considered it infinitely more dangerous than lake travis for surfing, skiing, wakeboarding, even tubing which you can't really do there.  it's like skateboarding in front of a mack truck on I-35 being pulled behind a car, if you fuck up and fall you're gonna die.  the only times I would even consider it would be Monday through Wednesday during the early part of the day.

No kidding.  My best memories on Lake Austin were from back in college when we'd hit the lake at dawn on a school day and have the place to ourselves.  Skiing on glass.  A rare experience these days.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, troph said:

I imagine canyon lake with its dock restrictions makes for a great experience.

It’s a lot less stressful out there than Travis, LBJ, or Lake Austin.  The only things I miss about Lake Austin are tying up at Commons Ford and heading up below the damn for my weekly jump off the boat Cryotherapy sessions.  Canyon is like Travis, 89 degrees.  That 67 degree water up by Steiner Ranch added another 3 hours to my days when air temps are where they’re at now.

1 hour ago, troph said:

It’s a beat down on weekends.  16 yr olds driving $200 rigs, making Tsunamis, not watching where they’re going, getting in fights, etc.  I saw 6 fatalities in the 3 yrs I ran it hard.  Glad to have it the rearview.

Well, my one hour boat project on Saturday turned into an all day affair. I was starting to have some intermittent electrical issues, and rather than try to chase them down individually, I decided to replace the 10 year old fuse block. Should be straight forward, Blue Sea still makes the same one so it should be a quick swap, right?... I ended up replacing the fuse block, the main power/ground from the block to the battery, and putting new terminal ends on all the wires. Anything that I couldn't strip back to clean wire I replaced. Then I cleaned up and remounted the battery box and cleaned up all the wiring and replaced all the terminals at the battery. The shop that did the repower pulled out the old motor control harness, but just cut off the old power mains and left them in the harness to the battery, so I pulled that out and then replaced the main power and ground to my hydraulic jack plate. Now everything is working, and I feel much better about the wiring. Since I had the boat in the garage, the boy and I waxed it as well. Starting to get a few cloudy spots in the gel that won't compound and wax out. I think I'm going to have to get it wet sanded and buffed, or maybe have the whole thing resprayed. 

Boats, man...

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

Well, my one hour boat project on Saturday turned into an all day affair. I was starting to have some intermittent electrical issues, and rather than try to chase them down individually, I decided to replace the 10 year old fuse block. Should be straight forward, Blue Sea still makes the same one so it should be a quick swap, right?... I ended up replacing the fuse block, the main power/ground from the block to the battery, and putting new terminal ends on all the wires. Anything that I couldn't strip back to clean wire I replaced. Then I cleaned up and remounted the battery box and cleaned up all the wiring and replaced all the terminals at the battery. The shop that did the repower pulled out the old motor control harness, but just cut off the old power mains and left them in the harness to the battery, so I pulled that out and then replaced the main power and ground to my hydraulic jack plate. Now everything is working, and I feel much better about the wiring. Since I had the boat in the garage, the boy and I waxed it as well. Starting to get a few cloudy spots in the gel that won't compound and wax out. I think I'm going to have to get it wet sanded and buffed, or maybe have the whole thing resprayed. 

Boats, man...

You did it right.  Don't mess with power, do the job right, do it once. 

1 hour ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

I was starting to have some intermittent electrical issues, and rather than try to chase them down individually, I decided to replace the 10 year old fuse block.

I know this day is coming, and I’m not looking forward to it.  When it comes to the boat, I’m the type that will replace the whole damn thing because I started to get one issue.   That said, definitely going back with a new switch panel loaded with bocatec switches and probably fishing team logo in the panel, when the time comes.   Knock on wood I’ve been pretty lucky on the elec dept. 

While LBJ is the better lake IMO, Lake Austin is >1 hour closer to downtown, and to my house.

You do have to be vigilant about keeping dumbass boaters from tailing you while you’re pulling someone, but on Travis you have to keep your head on a swivel because dumbasses come from all different directions. Both places are probably too busy to be safely pulling people on the weekends after 10am.

All the more reason why I’m not willing to trailer it like I do now with my pontoon. I want to be able to come home at 4pm on a weeknight and take the kids out for a few hours, or take the kids out early on a weekend morning and not have to deal with crowds around the ramps at 360.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, Bob Lives! said:

While LBJ is the better lake IMO, Lake Austin is >1 hour closer to downtown, and to my house.

You do have to be vigilant about keeping dumbass boaters from tailing you while you’re pulling someone, but on Travis you have to keep your head on a swivel because dumbasses come from all different directions. Both places are probably too busy to be safely pulling people on the weekends after 10am.

All the more reason why I’m not willing to trailer it like I do now with my pontoon. I want to be able to come home at 4pm on a weeknight and take the kids out for a few hours, or take the kids out early on a weekend morning and not have to deal with crowds around the ramps at 360.

Trailering does suck, I don’t keep my boat at the lake because I’ve never built a covered dock/lift. I take it back and forth when we go, so we don’t get out as much as we would if it was sitting on the lift.  However, I also don’t want to leave it outside, so I’ve never built a covered dock/lift. We do have a private ramp though which makes up for a lot and has been my main justification for sticking with the trailer.

1 minute ago, Brew said:

Trailering does suck, I don’t keep my boat at the lake because I’ve never built a covered dock/lift. I take it back and forth when we go, so we don’t get out as much as we would if it was sitting on the lift.  However, I also don’t want to leave it outside, so I’ve never built a covered dock/lift. We do have a private ramp though which makes up for a lot and has been my main justification for sticking with the trailer.

Yeah, that wouldn't bother me at all.  I prefer keeping my boat off the water, though we are talking apples/oranges (saltwater).  Public ramps tho...can't believe they don't make you pass a class or something first.  

Yeah, that wouldn't bother me at all.  I prefer keeping my boat off the water, though we are talking apples/oranges (saltwater).  Public ramps tho...can't believe they don't make you pass a class or something first.  

You want to watch a massive shit show, go check out the 360 ramp on a Saturday night at 8pm. Drunk idiots who can barely do that shit sober. Add in fuckheads on the water who think they need to idle right in front of the ramps for some reason, and pontoon rental drivers in a huge hurry to get their asses home for the night. It isn’t pleasant. I definitely don’t want my wife and kids caught up in it.